Author Topic: Nat Phillips  (Read 237990 times)

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Nat Phillips
« Reply #1440 on: April 7, 2021, 08:29:07 pm »
The thing I like about Phillips is that you can see his progression this season. He's improved at a very rapid pace, and it shows. He wasn't amazing against Madrid, but I am almost certain he will adapt better on the return leg.

Whether he gets to stay is one thing, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's kept around. I think he will be great here to fulfill a role, and I'm sure now that he's had his stage to prove himself that he's no longer wanting to leave for another opportunity in such a hurry. But on the other hand, strangely he's probably the most marketable CB we have at this stage. We certainly won't be selling Gomez, and Matip is probably too injury prone to fetch any decent offers.

Offline Wilmo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1441 on: April 7, 2021, 11:09:22 pm »
Bloody hell you must have a low bar for what constitutes a 'pile on'.

Bit weird that one. I agree with you, also I have a soft spot for players who blast it hard into feet. Gives the receiver more options. He's really stepped up in terms of responsibility as well. I understand the Burnley shout - he might be too good to be just a squad player, which he will inevitably be. I think he can do better though to be fair.
'History has always shown that when we stay together we can sort out problems. When we split then we start fighting. There was not one time in history where division creates success.' - Klopp

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #1442 on: April 8, 2021, 12:47:57 am »
Let's see when Nat heads the winner off a corner in the last minute next week.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #1443 on: April 8, 2021, 12:51:00 am »
When did we get hammered? As I recall we outplayed them when we lost 3-0.

And remember, Dembele missed a sitter at the end, I would say 3-0 does not constitute a good outcome, there was a reason we conceded 3 goals.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1444 on: April 8, 2021, 08:04:31 am »
Ach he's sound. One bad game does not a bad player make, a d he's had plenty of good ones recently. Maybe he's not good enough for the very highest level but he'll have another shot next week and I wouldn't put it past him to play out of his skin, and even if he comes up short, he's done a fantastic job this season.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1445 on: April 8, 2021, 02:17:16 pm »
Ach he's sound. One bad game does not a bad player make, a d he's had plenty of good ones recently. Maybe he's not good enough for the very highest level but he'll have another shot next week and I wouldn't put it past him to play out of his skin, and even if he comes up short, he's done a fantastic job this season.

Agreed. I would expect we will still sell him - the difference being now we will likely get 5-7m for him.

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1446 on: April 8, 2021, 04:04:19 pm »
Agreed. I would expect we will still sell him - the difference being now we will likely get 5-7m for him.
If he helps us to top 4 we can get more than that. Don't even think it'd be worth selling him for that low unless we're buying 2 CBs

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #1447 on: April 10, 2021, 04:59:12 pm »
Regardless of whether you like him or not, has anyone ever seen a player win 100% of their defensive headers? He’s insane in the air.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1448 on: April 10, 2021, 05:03:07 pm »
Bolton Baresi. He was awesome today, played some very good passes too.

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1449 on: April 10, 2021, 05:11:15 pm »
So much better than Kabak.

Offline solidgold

• Main Stander
« Reply #1450 on: April 10, 2021, 05:27:24 pm »
Win every single headers that come his way. The guy is a monster. Suddenly I am no longer worried about free kicks and corners. This guy just own the box whenever a ball floats in. Awesome.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #1451 on: April 10, 2021, 05:28:06 pm »
Regardless of whether you like him or not, has anyone ever seen a player win 100% of their defensive headers? He’s insane in the air.

Adds a lot of much needed fight and physicality into the team. Vital aerially as well against these big sides, we'd have conceded a lot more chances from set plays without him this year.

He's not the player you want away at Real Madrid or up against fast attackers so much, but he's served us really well overall.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1452 on: April 10, 2021, 05:28:40 pm »
Win every single headers that come his way. The guy is a monster. Suddenly I am no longer worried about free kicks and corners. This guy just own the box whenever a ball floats in. Awesome.

I'd be confident if it was him against 6 attackers.

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #1453 on: April 10, 2021, 05:29:59 pm »

I think they are very very different defenders. On current form and net performances, Nat has been better but Kabak's shown a lot of promise, especially with the ball. The only reason I have doubts about Nat being a long term prospect for us is his lack of pace and on-the-ball ability which is inherently limited and not something that can be drastically improved. He is an excellent defender in his own right and he'd be massive against physical teams like Burnley. I just find all these comparisons between the two a bit weird given how they are clearly very very different in the type of defenders they are. Kabak is better at defending space and Nat is far more frontfooted, be it aerially or on the ground.

Offline lgvkarlos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1454 on: April 10, 2021, 05:45:39 pm »
I think they are very very different defenders. On current form and net performances, Nat has been better but Kabak's shown a lot of promise, especially with the ball. The only reason I have doubts about Nat being a long term prospect for us is his lack of pace and on-the-ball ability which is inherently limited and not something that can be drastically improved. He is an excellent defender in his own right and he'd be massive against physical teams like Burnley. I just find all these comparisons between the two a bit weird given how they are clearly very very different in the type of defenders they are. Kabak is better at defending space and Nat is far more frontfooted, be it aerially or on the ground.
Agree Nat isn't quick enough long term but what he is doing at the moment is exceptional. Kabak doesn't look quick enough either but also gets caught out of position way to often for me.

Offline BeingJohnMarkovic

• Anny Roader
  • Its All In The Game
« Reply #1455 on: April 10, 2021, 05:49:14 pm »
Phillips's passing has improved game on game. He is unfortunately lacking the mobility that makes him a long-term option here but thought he did really well today again. He's one of the most dominant players in the air I have ever seen.
It ain't what you takin', it's who you takin' from, ya feel me? How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1456 on: April 10, 2021, 05:50:48 pm »

How many one on one's with Alisson did Kabak give Villa today?

Offline lgvkarlos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1457 on: April 10, 2021, 05:52:54 pm »
How many one on one's with Alisson did Kabak give Villa today?
You have to take one of them out at the moment, who would you choose?

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1458 on: April 10, 2021, 05:54:08 pm »

Phillips. 100%, I dont even need to think about it

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1459 on: April 10, 2021, 05:54:27 pm »

18m on Kabak or keep Phillips.

No brainer. Keeping Phillips all day long.

Offline lgvkarlos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1460 on: April 10, 2021, 05:57:35 pm »
18m on Kabak or keep Phillips.

No brainer. Keeping Phillips all day long.
Considering how high a line we are playing I'm gobsmacked how well he has done, I know he's been caught out a few times but how many times has he got us out of the shit.

Offline klopptopia

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1461 on: April 10, 2021, 05:59:19 pm »
Kabak is mikes ahead of Phillips and has been the better player since they both got in the team. Phillips has been brilliant for his level but should not and will not be hear next season

Offline paisley1977

• Legacy Fan
  • Bob an ordinary man of extraordinary greatness.
« Reply #1462 on: April 10, 2021, 06:03:16 pm »

Yea one will cost 18m the other one cost nowt.
I've been here during the bad times,we finished second once.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1463 on: April 10, 2021, 06:05:26 pm »
I'd keep Kabak, to be honest. Right now, and for the future. I'd probably rather go for Konate or similar though. But when it comes to Phillips v Kabak, great as Nat's been recently, I just think Nat's limitations hamstring us to a greater degree than Kabak's.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1464 on: April 10, 2021, 06:06:08 pm »
Kabak is mikes ahead of Phillips and has been the better player since they both got in the team. Phillips has been brilliant for his level but should not and will not be hear next season

Utter rubbish. Phillips has been the better player.

Phillips will be here next season for sure.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1465 on: April 10, 2021, 06:06:56 pm »

The Fordy seal of approval, so which club will he be moving to?

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1466 on: April 10, 2021, 06:08:02 pm »
The Fordy seal of approval, so which club will he be moving to?

ha ha  ;D.

Easy money for everyone now on a Phillips move.

Offline MH41

• Kopite
« Reply #1467 on: April 10, 2021, 06:11:27 pm »
Won another vital header, right at the very end there, from the long free kick from the keeper(followed by a fantastic through ball from shaqiri to mané)
Absolutely brilliant. The lad has stepped up, and has done a magnificent job. There is nothing negative that has to be said.

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1468 on: April 10, 2021, 06:15:00 pm »
The way he was competing and winning every ball that got close to him was really great. Something we weren't doing when we got hammered by Villa. He's boss. If he had more pace he'd be incredible.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #1469 on: April 10, 2021, 06:18:02 pm »
Adds a lot of much needed fight and physicality into the team. Vital aerially as well against these big sides, we'd have conceded a lot more chances from set plays without him this year.

He's not the player you want away at Real Madrid or up against fast attackers so much, but he's served us really well overall.
Absolutely, and its important to have horses for courses. As well all know, 75% of those courses don’t mind chucking it long into the box.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline klopptopia

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1470 on: April 10, 2021, 06:35:34 pm »

Phillips was being sold last summer whilst we have been linked with kabak and then brought him in. It’s either kabak here next season or neither. Kabak was the better player against wolves and arsenal by a mile. And he is quicker than phillips

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1471 on: April 10, 2021, 06:36:26 pm »
ha ha  ;D.

Easy money for everyone now on a Phillips move.
We not signing that Brighton defender then ;)

Offline BeingJohnMarkovic

• Anny Roader
  • Its All In The Game
« Reply #1472 on: April 10, 2021, 06:43:13 pm »
Phillips was being sold last summer whilst we have been linked with kabak and then brought him in. It’s either kabak here next season or neither. Kabak was the better player against wolves and arsenal by a mile. And he is quicker than phillips

I'm not sure about that at all, but I do think that Klopp would probably prefer to keep Kabak next season than Phillips. Personally, I'd probably keep Phillips if it came to a choice - he is just insanely good in the air, whereas Kabak isn't insanely good at anything. I'd personally keep them both, though.

VVD
Gomez
Kabak
Phillips

Would be a solid enough choice at CB, for different types of games.
It ain't what you takin', it's who you takin' from, ya feel me? How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #1473 on: April 10, 2021, 09:09:53 pm »
Will all the gobshites comparing Kabak to Phillips and who stays and who goes and all that other bolloxs on here, please fuck off to the appropriate threads for that type of utter tosh. Fucking nuisances the lot of yer. This thread is for the Bolton Baresi only...
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #1474 on: April 11, 2021, 12:35:43 am »
Seems like each passing game brings with it another big step. Thought he looked noticeably more comfortable on the ball, was happy to intelligently drop the shoulder and swivel to relieve pressure and keep the ball moving. None of the awkwardness of past performances.

And how good is it seeing a big hoof passing through the clouds and seeing him in the periphery reading the ball and readying himself to launch into the air, being able to relax with the certainty that only outcome will be a header won and a ball swatted back. We've missed that solidity and certainty at the back.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1475 on: April 11, 2021, 01:20:57 am »
Can’t wait to see him score from a corner. Maybe against Burnley in the penultimate game, suitable for both styles.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1476 on: April 11, 2021, 01:42:05 am »
Seems like each passing game brings with it another big step. Thought he looked noticeably more comfortable on the ball, was happy to intelligently drop the shoulder and swivel to relieve pressure and keep the ball moving. None of the awkwardness of past performances.

And how good is it seeing a big hoof passing through the clouds and seeing him in the periphery reading the ball and readying himself to launch into the air, being able to relax with the certainty that only outcome will be a header won and a ball swatted back. We've missed that solidity and certainty at the back.

I'm really not seeing this. I'm seeing the guy who forced Alisson into a risky situation where he had to use his own skill to clear their forward. Im seeing the man who gets  beat easily one on one, especially when tight, I'm sering the man who gave two very easy one on one's with Alisson. I cant be the only wine who sees just how poor he is at the highest level?

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1477 on: April 11, 2021, 01:44:03 am »
I'm really not seeing this. I'm seeing the guy who forced Alisson into a risky situation where he had to use his own skill to clear their forward. Im seeing the man who gets  beat easily one on one, especially when tight, I'm sering the man who gave two very easy one on one's with Alisson. I cant be the only wine who sees just how poor he is at the highest level?

Depends on how many glasses of wine.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1478 on: April 11, 2021, 01:46:35 am »

Right now? Quite a few beers. When I saw this happening? Now many. There's a reason why teams target the right side of our defence.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1479 on: April 11, 2021, 01:48:04 am »
Red or white? And I hat kind?
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."