Author Topic: Nat Phillips  (Read 238914 times)

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Nat Phillips
« Reply #1600 on: April 24, 2021, 02:38:38 pm »
He'd have made absolutely no difference to the result

I disagree. It would have meant our best midfielder was in midfield protecting the backline.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1601 on: April 24, 2021, 02:39:28 pm »
I disagree. It would have meant our best midfielder was in midfield protecting the backline.

So play Ben Davies then. Or play me. If Fabinho in midfield stops that goal then it doesn't matter who the defender is.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1602 on: April 24, 2021, 02:39:38 pm »
AL666 can talk his agenda all he likes.

PHILLIPS IS BADLY MISSED!

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #1603 on: April 24, 2021, 02:53:05 pm »
AL666 can talk his agenda all he likes.

PHILLIPS IS BADLY MISSED!
We’re certainly more vulnerable from the crossed ball without him.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1604 on: April 24, 2021, 02:55:20 pm »
We’re certainly more vulnerable from the crossed ball without him.

Wouldn't have fancied him against Newcastle runs from deep with a high line tbf ... swings and roundabouts and that
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1605 on: April 24, 2021, 02:59:59 pm »
So play Ben Davies then. Or play me. If Fabinho in midfield stops that goal then it doesn't matter who the defender is.

Davies is obviously not even close to being good enough. Weird signing.
I'm not sure how good you are at centre back but I'd consider you in midfield for Gini :D

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #1606 on: April 24, 2021, 03:13:39 pm »
Wouldn't have fancied him against Newcastle runs from deep with a high line tbf ... swings and roundabouts and that
True but it doesn’t need to be one or the other. Adjust the line defending on the personnel . Regardless, you’ll always have aerial crosses coming into the box in English football.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1607 on: April 24, 2021, 03:15:28 pm »

I’d say he’d have been more likely to get his head on the Leeds corner.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1608 on: April 24, 2021, 03:21:27 pm »

We didn't play Leeds today you Nick

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1609 on: April 24, 2021, 04:54:37 pm »
We didn't play Leeds today you Nick

Good spot. I posted in another thread that I thought we’d missed him in the last two games.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1610 on: April 24, 2021, 04:58:46 pm »
Good spot. I posted in another thread that I thought we’d missed him in the last two games.

My argument today though is that it doesn't matter whether he was playing or not we still would have conceded that goal

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1611 on: April 24, 2021, 04:58:48 pm »
He would have made a difference to the result. 100%.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1612 on: April 24, 2021, 07:49:36 pm »
He would have made a difference to the result. 100%.
Just by letting Fabinho play at No.6 is enough protection for the defense.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #1613 on: April 24, 2021, 07:52:56 pm »

When we kept giving Leeds corners I knew they'd put one away. With Phillips in the team he can deal with them, particularly the area they scored from.

Today although Newcastle caused us some problems on the break, it was the high balls pumped in towards the end that would have been food and drink to Nat. A few games this season he's won vital headers late on to see the game out. We missed that the last two games.

Whether we'd have won both games is merely conjecture, but there's a good chance he'd have prevented both goals, just by getting his head on it.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1614 on: April 24, 2021, 08:13:49 pm »
When Saint-Maximin was terrorising our defence did anyone really think if only we had Nat to nullify him.

The forwards did their job they put us in front. It was the defenders job to see us through.

Just look at how many points we have dropped from winning positions.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1615 on: April 24, 2021, 08:18:06 pm »
When Saint-Maximin was terrorising our defence did anyone really think if only we had Nat to nullify him.

The forwards did their job they put us in front. It was the defenders job to see us through.

Just look at how many points we have dropped from winning positions.
Gotta disagree, Al. Fabinho would have given the defense solid protection. Using him as a CB is what allowed Saint-Maximin to roam around and terrorize them.

And no, the forwards didn't do their job - to put the game beyond reach. They had a ton of chances, a metric ton.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1616 on: April 24, 2021, 08:26:52 pm »
Gotta disagree, Al. Fabinho would have given the defense solid protection. Using him as a CB is what allowed Saint-Maximin to roam around and terrorize them.

And no, the forwards didn't do their job - to put the game beyond reach. They had a ton of chances, a metric ton.

I will politely disagree.

Fabinho and Henderson have only been deployed at centre back because of our disastrous policy to go in to the season with only two fit centre backs. That was compounded by failing to bring in a senior centre back for January 1.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1617 on: April 24, 2021, 08:33:09 pm »
I will politely disagree.

Fabinho and Henderson have only been deployed at centre back because of our disastrous policy to go in to the season with only two fit centre backs. That was compounded by failing to bring in a senior centre back for January 1.
Oh, I agree with you on the CB situation. Although it can be argued that it was highly unexpected. VVD played all CL and PL games last season, bar one, so one of the CB spots was taken. Three injury-prone CBs competed for the other. We sold Lovren, but I can see how the decision-makers could have opted for Matip/Gomez as RCB, and Fabinho could cover if absolutely needed. I get that. But the absolute necessity came with VVD's injury right away. Then it was Gomez and every man and his dog that played CB for us. What I didn't get and hold against our recruitment team is why didn't we get a CB in January at the opening of the window? Why did we wait so long? We were top of the table with all the shit that happened to us. I think that decision has come to cost us the CL spot, never mind the league.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1618 on: April 24, 2021, 08:33:32 pm »
Just by letting Fabinho play at No.6 is enough protection for the defense.

So it could literally be any centre back in the world other than Nat Phillips if Fabinho in the midfield wins us the game?

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1619 on: April 24, 2021, 08:35:27 pm »
So it could literally be any centre back in the world other than Nat Phillips if Fabinho in the midfield wins us the game?
We are talking about those on our books. Fabinho is a better protector than CB, although he's quite good there. But I would have played Davis; he can't be that bad, can he?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1620 on: April 24, 2021, 08:36:21 pm »
I think we needed him considering he is the only centreback Klopp trusted to play and thus put Fabinho back in midfield.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1621 on: April 24, 2021, 08:39:22 pm »
We are talking about those on our books. Fabinho is a better protector than CB, although he's quite good there. But I would have played Davis; he can't be that bad, can he?

Right, so playing Billy Koumetio in defence and Fabinho in midfield wins us the game? That's not a glowing endorsement on Nat Phillips. We needed calmness and composure after the disallowed goal to win us the game, Henderson and Virgil are probably the two who would have provided us with that.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1622 on: April 24, 2021, 08:55:23 pm »
Why do you keep moving the goalposts?
Your first post referred to "any centre back in the world other than Nat Phillips..." where did I say that?

Right, so playing Billy Koumetio in defence and Fabinho in midfield wins us the game? That's not a glowing endorsement on Nat Phillips. We needed calmness and composure after the disallowed goal to win us the game, Henderson and Virgil are probably the two who would have provided us with that.
Your second post - where did I say anything about Billy Koumetio?

You can keep going, but I find this pointless.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1623 on: April 24, 2021, 09:04:17 pm »
Oh, I agree with you on the CB situation. Although it can be argued that it was highly unexpected. VVD played all CL and PL games last season, bar one, so one of the CB spots was taken. Three injury-prone CBs competed for the other. We sold Lovren, but I can see how the decision-makers could have opted for Matip/Gomez as RCB, and Fabinho could cover if absolutely needed. I get that. But the absolute necessity came with VVD's injury right away. Then it was Gomez and every man and his dog that played CB for us. What I didn't get and hold against our recruitment team is why didn't we get a CB in January at the opening of the window? Why did we wait so long? We were top of the table with all the shit that happened to us. I think that decision has come to cost us the CL spot, never mind the league.

The criminal bit is that we simply didn't have centre back's coming through the system who could play the way we wanted to play.

Klopp played Hummels and Subotic as a teenage centre back partnership.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1624 on: April 24, 2021, 09:05:21 pm »
I'm not moving any goalposts. I'm sticking with my original assertion that we would have conceded whether he played or not today when people said we missed him. We didn't.

Online Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1625 on: April 25, 2021, 01:03:08 am »
Unless you have an alternate reality thingy majig, theres no way of knowing that, so it's all moot

What I want to know is, how the worlds slowest player injures his hamstring

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1626 on: April 25, 2021, 01:35:10 am »
Hes a first choice centre back so we absolutely missed him in the last two games. There's a reason Klopp has made him part of the first 11.

Even if you don't rate him thats a fact. It may just be a fact because of what we lose in midfield with Fab having to cover for him but like it or lump it our current strongest 11 includes Philips. That's obviously how klopp sees it as he keeps picking him. He'll walk straight back into the team when fit.

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1627 on: April 25, 2021, 07:19:40 am »

No way we concede the last two goals with him playing.

Was funny seeing these two posts back to back in the thread. Pretty much opposite views, both stated as fact, both pure conjecture.

I personally feel that Phillips in defence and Fabinho in midfield would have seen us win the last two games. First half vs Madrid aside, we've looked so much more solid with that setup lately. But I guess we'll never know for sure with these last two games.

Even with Phillips out, I would like to see Fabinho in midfield under all circumstances myself though.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1628 on: April 25, 2021, 09:32:03 am »
Was funny seeing these two posts back to back in the thread. Pretty much opposite views, both stated as fact, both pure conjecture.

I personally feel that Phillips in defence and Fabinho in midfield would have seen us win the last two games. First half vs Madrid aside, we've looked so much more solid with that setup lately. But I guess we'll never know for sure with these last two games.

Even with Phillips out, I would like to see Fabinho in midfield under all circumstances myself though.

He wins everything in the air and has helped out see out some tight wins recently. Having him makes teams less likely to hoof it.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 10:23:49 am by MonsLibpool »

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #1629 on: April 26, 2021, 12:24:20 am »
Who knows whether he would have been there in terms of the goals but I tell you what, he would have been there in terms of passion and commitment at the back which to me felt missing from us but there for both opponents.

I am surprise to see that no-one has come on here to blame Nat for the results because he got himself injured so often has every mistake he's made been highlighted since he got in the team.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline BeingJohnMarkovic

• Anny Roader
  • Its All In The Game
« Reply #1630 on: April 26, 2021, 10:20:56 am »
We need Nat now more than ever, for his strength and yes, leadership at the back.
It ain't what you takin', it's who you takin' from, ya feel me? How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

Offline decosabute

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1631 on: April 26, 2021, 09:26:47 pm »
Imagine someone told you back in August that the loss of Nat Phillips would be what ruined our push to scrape into the top 4.

Offline decosabute

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1632 on: April 26, 2021, 09:27:36 pm »
Anyone know if he's back this week by the way?

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #1633 on: April 26, 2021, 09:35:25 pm »
Imagine someone told you back in August that the loss of Nat Phillips would be what ruined our push to scrape into the top 4.
I'd probably say that they're talking out their arse, as not scoring goals will be the issue that will make us fall short on any form of success.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1634 on: April 26, 2021, 10:01:38 pm »
I'd probably say that they're talking out their arse, as not scoring goals will be the issue that will make us fall short on any form of success.

And even if it wasn't it would be the loss of Van Dijk, Gomez and Matip far ahead of losing Nat Phillips

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1635 on: April 26, 2021, 10:49:00 pm »

I am not sure mate.

We are the 5th highest goalscorers. The shocking bit is that Brighton have conceded 39 and Fulham have conceded 43 they are in 17th and 18th place in the League.

We have conceded 39 from 33 games this season.

In 18/19 we conceded 22 from 38 games.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline decosabute

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1636 on: April 26, 2021, 11:07:17 pm »
And even if it wasn't it would be the loss of Van Dijk, Gomez and Matip far ahead of losing Nat Phillips

Oh come on you know what I mean - it's half-joking, but still. Two weeks ago I'd have backed us to get top 4. Even on 94 minutes on Saturday, I'd have probably backed us to get top 4. Obviously the players you mentioned are far, far bigger losses overall, but recently, what's killed our tiny bit of momentum (in my opinion) is losing Phillips, losing a settled back four, and again forcing Fabinho out of midfield to cover.

Offline johnj147

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1637 on: April 26, 2021, 11:09:58 pm »
Can't believe he's injured now unreal.so it is

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1638 on: April 26, 2021, 11:21:22 pm »
Oh come on you know what I mean - it's half-joking, but still. Two weeks ago I'd have backed us to get top 4. Even on 94 minutes on Saturday, I'd have probably backed us to get top 4. Obviously the players you mentioned are far, far bigger losses overall, but recently, what's killed our tiny bit of momentum (in my opinion) is losing Phillips, losing a settled back four, and again forcing Fabinho out of midfield to cover.
Ignoring the other 180+ minutes of the last two games I don't think we would have conceded either goal with Phillips on the pitch.  The Leeds corner was dropped into an area where he would have almost certainly won the first header and it's hard to believe a ball punted into the penalty area in the 95th minute would have only been competed for by Robbo if Phillips had been on the pitch.

For all VVDs class it's his ability to consistently win the first ball that we miss as much as anything.  Phillips filled that gap well (he arguably got into the team on the basis of just that) but there's not really anybody else in our squad that provides that aerial dominance.  For sure we should have killed both of those games off when we were 1-0 and creating chances but it's no great surprise that we can't hold on to a lead when we can't defend our own penalty area from what should be low percentage balls.

Offline decosabute

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1639 on: April 26, 2021, 11:29:09 pm »
Ignoring the other 180+ minutes of the last two games I don't think we would have conceded either goal with Phillips on the pitch.  The Leeds corner was dropped into an area where he would have almost certainly won the first header and it's hard to believe a ball punted into the penalty area in the 95th minute would have only been competed for by Robbo if Phillips had been on the pitch.

For all VVDs class it's his ability to consistently win the first ball that we miss as much as anything.  Phillips filled that gap well (he arguably got into the team on the basis of just that) but there's not really anybody else in our squad that provides that aerial dominance.  For sure we should have killed both of those games off when we were 1-0 and creating chances but it's no great surprise that we can't hold on to a lead when we can't defend our own penalty area from what should be low percentage balls.

100% agree. Phillips has massive limitations on the turn, especially against quality opposition, but in a backs to the wall set-up he's actually a huge asset. And you're dead right on Virgil too. People always cling to the 'cigars out' moments with Van Dijk, like flicking it over a forward's head or playing an amazing long diagonal, but the bigger reason for his greatness is his dominance. Phillips has that in the air, and, in a backs-to-the-wall setup at least (which both Leeds and Newcastle became), on the ground too.