Author Topic: Nat Phillips  (Read 239361 times)

Offline BeingJohnMarkovic

• Anny Roader
  • Its All In The Game
Re: Nat Phillips
« Reply #1240 on: March 16, 2021, 09:45:25 pm »
His skill sets are ideal for when we come against the real dogs of the league; Palace, Sheff Utd, West Brom, Newcastle, Burnley etc. In fact he’s probably more well suited to playing those sides than Gomez. Question is, as others have alluded to, is he happy to stick around and play when called upon when he could start regularly further down the table?

Yeah, that remains to be seen. He is so good in the air that he's actually worth having around just to play against the West Broms and West Hams of this world. Saying that, he'd be absolutely ideal for a lower table side that plays a lower defensive block. His main weakness is when he has to turn and chase, and in a lower lying team, he'd rarely have to do that.
It ain't what you takin', it's who you takin' from, ya feel me? How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1241 on: March 16, 2021, 09:52:45 pm »
Yeah, that remains to be seen. He is so good in the air that he's actually worth having around just to play against the West Broms and West Hams of this world. Saying that, he'd be absolutely ideal for a lower table side that plays a lower defensive block. His main weakness is when he has to turn and chase, and in a lower lying team, he'd rarely have to do that.

I have never really understood that logic though.

The teams at the bottom need to beat the teams around them. Whilst they may play a low block against the better sides. In the 6 pointers they actually have to come out and play. If they didn't neither team would leave their half.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1242 on: March 16, 2021, 11:13:05 pm »
Nat has performed brilliantly for us. The issue is whether his ceiling is high enough for a club like us.
Nat has performed brilliantly for us. The issue is whether our first choice centre backs will be back for the new season.

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1243 on: March 16, 2021, 11:14:30 pm »
Nat has performed brilliantly for us.

Couldn't have put it better myself, Al 😉👍
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #1244 on: March 17, 2021, 07:55:23 am »
I think we have a new cult hero.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #1245 on: March 17, 2021, 11:59:31 am »

His weakness is he gets turned not just ‘when he has to turn’ - think Wolves was the first game he’s played for us when he didn’t get turned... you can’t ever have him isolated or with a lot of space in behind. We’re dropping off a lot more which helps him but blunts our attack... it is what it is for now

Peoples reactions seems very black and white on him (and Kabak) not sure why maybe it’s just the way of things these days.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #1246 on: March 17, 2021, 02:34:45 pm »
His weakness is he gets turned not just ‘when he has to turn’ - think Wolves was the first game he’s played for us when he didn’t get turned... you can’t ever have him isolated or with a lot of space in behind. We’re dropping off a lot more which helps him but blunts our attack... it is what it is for now

Peoples reactions seems very black and white on him (and Kabak) not sure why maybe it’s just the way of things these days.

When evaluating Kabak and Phillips it needs to be done in the context of the system and situation they are playing now and the system and expectations of them in what would be our normal or ideal system.

Kabak and Phillips are doing very well given the current circumstances. I can't see how anyone could be displeased with their recent performances. However, that doesn't mean they are right for us long term in our 'ideal' system, where centre backs need to be good in 1-on-1 situations and be comfortable being dragged wide.I think there's genuine Q marks about Kabak and Phillips in the long term, based primarily on our system and what attributes you need as a centre back to succeed and allow the rest of the team not to be compromised. The 1 unknown I have is what either would be like next to 1 of the 3 established centre backs. Would that allow them to excel in the system?

I think some people are conflating the 2 situations -  doing well now versus long term suitability. I'm quite comfortable saying they are doing well and should be 1st choice currently, whilst at the same time holding the belief that in the summer there may be other players available who might be better suited our system. That's not a criticism of Kabak or Phillips either.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1247 on: March 24, 2021, 12:43:27 pm »

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #1248 on: March 31, 2021, 12:36:24 pm »
Stuttgart’s sporting director Sven Mislintat on how Nat Phillips ended up there:

“When Marcin Kaminski got injured with us, Jürgen Klopp approached me and said I should take a look at Nathaniel Phillips because he was looking for a loan deal for him. Even though I trust Klopp blindly with such an offer, I bear the responsibility of course.
"That's why I first had to take a look at him myself and give him a credible assurance that he has a real chance to play with us.
“In the end, it turned out that he was exactly the kind of player we were looking for.”

It’s amazing/amusing/mad (delete as appopriate) that as of now, our first choice central defensive pairing are both former Stuttgart players  :P

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1249 on: March 31, 2021, 04:09:11 pm »
Still better than Maguire
Jurgen YNWA

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #1250 on: March 31, 2021, 04:12:23 pm »
Still better than Maguire

Maguire turned out for Kopfgart...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #1251 on: April 1, 2021, 06:44:10 pm »
I think it would be one of the ultimate footballing fairytales if he won No7 with us.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Ratboy3G

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1252 on: April 1, 2021, 06:58:12 pm »
Hope so.

Gets my vote for player of the month.

Vote for Nat!  ;D

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/429197-vote-now-liverpool-s-men-s-player-of-the-month-for-march

Won player of the month for March, fully deserved in my opinion

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #1253 on: April 1, 2021, 11:26:37 pm »
Well in, Nate. Richly deserved. Keep it going
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1254 on: April 2, 2021, 12:27:13 am »
Well done lad.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #1255 on: April 2, 2021, 12:34:43 am »
Even if he gets no further, winning player of the month for a club like Liverpool, with the players we have, should be treasured by Nat the rest of his life.

But, you never know, he may find he wins something that means more in the future. For now, that one is in the bag of future treasures and deservedly so.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline BeingJohnMarkovic

• Anny Roader
  • Its All In The Game
« Reply #1256 on: April 3, 2021, 06:42:46 pm »
His story is a rare good one in a fairly miserable season for us. I can't see him having a long-term future here but I've no doubt that there's plenty of other PL managers looking at him and thinking that he could do a fine job for them. He's shown great intelligence, determination and application. He's the sort of lad that will make the most of his talent. I've no doubt he has a good career in front of him!
It ain't what you takin', it's who you takin' from, ya feel me? How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1257 on: April 3, 2021, 09:35:15 pm »
Phillips on the press...Love it!!

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1258 on: April 3, 2021, 09:45:19 pm »
His passing is SO much better than it was when he first came into the team in terms of pace he’s putting on it. So encouraging to see that sort of improvement.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1259 on: April 3, 2021, 09:47:52 pm »
Let me say that Phillips has been bloody outstanding tonight.

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1260 on: April 3, 2021, 09:55:08 pm »
Great again really happy with how well he’s doing atm Benzema will be a different test though

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1261 on: April 3, 2021, 09:55:43 pm »
He is fantastic.

Offline missis sumner

• Not giving it up for Capon, not even when he understands her yet none of her friends does.....
  • Kopite
  • G'wan, my son
« Reply #1262 on: April 3, 2021, 10:03:49 pm »
Great game. :D

Offline Angelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1263 on: April 3, 2021, 10:07:04 pm »
To be fair, Arsenal didn't offer much but that shouldn't take away from his performance. Looked assured and his passing was definitely more confident, crisp and ambitious. You can see the improvement and the confidence is rising!

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1264 on: April 3, 2021, 10:08:26 pm »
Al 666 Got anything to say?

Liverpool's player of last month.

Outstanding against Arsenal tonight.

You going to give credit where its due yet?

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1265 on: April 3, 2021, 10:08:32 pm »
That header at the end when he challenged Martinelli. Was about 6 feet away and just launched at it  ;D

Offline Ratboy3G

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1266 on: April 3, 2021, 10:11:44 pm »
Not that Kabak hasn't been doing well, but I wonder if we're getting close to the point where we just send him back to Schalke at the end of the season and keep Phillips around for next season.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #1267 on: April 3, 2021, 10:13:14 pm »
Can fill in at right wing too.
AHA!

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1268 on: April 3, 2021, 10:17:29 pm »
Not that Kabak hasn't been doing well, but I wonder if we're getting close to the point where we just send him back to Schalke at the end of the season and keep Phillips around for next season.

Well considering Phillips is English and classed as an homegrown. It could be a possible if we finish in a CL or EL spot.

Offline Ratboy3G

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1269 on: April 3, 2021, 10:18:40 pm »
Well considering Phillips is English and classed as an homegrown. It could be a possible if we finish in a CL or EL spot.

Especially if the Konate rumours are true

Online cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1270 on: April 3, 2021, 10:20:09 pm »

Think Kabak has been the most impressive of the two. Phillips has done really well but there has been a few times were he has lost possession in dangerous areas and been bailed out

Offline Ratboy3G

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1271 on: April 3, 2021, 10:23:01 pm »
Think Kabak has been the most impressive of the two. Phillips has done really well but there has been a few times were he has lost possession in dangerous areas and been bailed out

I think Kabak has the higher ceiling, but Phillips just seems to get better every game and as Fordy pointed out has homegrown status.

Offline johnj147

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1272 on: April 3, 2021, 10:23:33 pm »
Brilliant again him and kabak 3 clean sheets

Offline Ratboy3G

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1273 on: April 3, 2021, 10:24:51 pm »
Brilliant again him and kabak 3 clean sheets

They've both been great, really hope they are both here next season

Offline Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1274 on: April 3, 2021, 10:32:37 pm »
What a week he's had. :)

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1275 on: April 3, 2021, 10:33:38 pm »
What a week he's had. :)

What a season he's had*

*I'll be saying when he's lifting the European Cup in June.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline missis sumner

• Not giving it up for Capon, not even when he understands her yet none of her friends does.....
  • Kopite
  • G'wan, my son
« Reply #1276 on: April 3, 2021, 10:41:09 pm »
What a season he's had*

I so, so hope so!  ;D

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
« Reply #1277 on: April 3, 2021, 10:44:29 pm »
A great story is unfolding.

About an even better player.

Well in lad  :wellin

Offline Ratboy3G

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1278 on: April 3, 2021, 10:50:06 pm »
What a season he's had*

He won't lift it, he'll head it away

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #1279 on: April 3, 2021, 10:51:11 pm »
Kabak is a cert to be here on a long term contract next year.
Nat Phillips..if we'd have brought him in as player for £10-15m there would be praise for it.
Nat Phillips has acquitted himself excellently, very few mistakes & has become a solid, dependable member of the squad.
Even with the noises about bringing in another CB like Konate etc..Nat Phillips has certainly done enough for us to question whether we do need to shell out £35m for another CB.
The probability is Nat will move on..for a 5th choice CB I'm not sure the CB needs a £35m+ strengthening outlay.
Bravo Nat Phillips, keep up the good work lad.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.