Author Topic: Harry Maguire considering his options thread  (Read 3299937 times)

Offline BigCDump

• Legacy Fan
  • Let's Klopp Til' We Drop
Re: Man United thread. Revolution Number... 6?
« Reply #43920 on: February 26, 2023, 07:43:40 pm »
Congratulations Manchester United on overcoming Villa, Burnley, Charlton, Forest & Newcastle on the way to EFL cup glory!

Truly back in the upper echelons of football society. We salute you!

Don't knock those teams, Villa and Forest are almost neck and neck on CL trophies with them.
Nineteen Six. Believe it now, baby!

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #43921 on: February 26, 2023, 09:19:40 pm »
Don't knock those teams, Villa and Forest are almost neck and neck on CL trophies with them.
And they've both beaten us this season I think.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43922 on: February 26, 2023, 10:27:49 pm »
Bloody hell, they’re building up Ten Hag a lot. I suppose after Ole and the rest, this must seem like la la land.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43923 on: February 26, 2023, 10:37:41 pm »

Nah, we beat Villa. Who was the other team, again?

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43924 on: February 27, 2023, 02:29:12 am »
Bloody hell, they’re building up Ten Hag a lot. I suppose after Ole and the rest, this must seem like la la land.

Haha just saw the sports frontpage on BBC, they have photoshopped him as a magician delivering the league cup 😂 The beeb are so far up the mancs arses they cant see daylight

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43925 on: February 27, 2023, 03:21:21 am »
Was just going to mention the magician pic... pure cringe

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #43926 on: February 27, 2023, 04:23:26 am »

Villa haven't.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43927 on: February 27, 2023, 07:51:52 am »
Haha just saw the sports frontpage on BBC, they have photoshopped him as a magician delivering the league cup 😂 The beeb are so far up the mancs arses they cant see daylight

:lmao
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline mickl

• many mickls makes a muckl
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #43928 on: February 27, 2023, 08:16:13 am »
I’m quite pleased for Man Utd.

I know that will really piss them off.

To damn with feint praise - try it, it’s fun.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43929 on: February 27, 2023, 08:18:43 am »
Not like the media to go totally over the top. Anyone would think that Robbie Savage has a son that plays for Manchester United.

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #43930 on: February 27, 2023, 08:35:07 am »
Ten Hag is doing a good job. Not amazing but good. He's re-building them slowly into a force.
There's  a good chance he'll get there before Klopp can revolutionise us again but only due  to money. Klopp is  the far superior manager but Utd have a lot more  money and that counts.

Offline Armchair expert

• Almost makes you agree with Gove
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meet the new boss.....same as the old boss
« Reply #43931 on: February 27, 2023, 08:47:06 am »
Not like the media to go totally over the top. Anyone would think that Robbie Savage has a son that plays for Manchester United.

That and inheriting the most expensive squad in world football and then spending a further £250 million

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43932 on: February 27, 2023, 08:57:33 am »

Saying something is one thing. Qualifying what was said by it's by Robbie Savage is another.

This is the person who once said:

"There are kids out there who'd chop their legs off to play football for Brighton"
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43933 on: February 27, 2023, 09:28:43 am »
Is that actually a real quote? fucking hell

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43934 on: February 27, 2023, 09:42:25 am »
I was going to ask the question is he being serious then I remembered who it was. Idiot. Give someone a billion pound squad of players, spend another load of million, be behind Mikel Arteta's Arsenal in the league and just above Spurs, win a League Cup and you're the best manager in the world now. Jurgen's right, the world has gone mad.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43935 on: February 27, 2023, 09:44:03 am »
Best manager in the world :lmao :lmao brilliant

Cant stand these arrogant twats but he dug them out of a hole unfortunately, hopefully this is the peak :lmao

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43936 on: February 27, 2023, 09:45:36 am »

For winning the league cup with a £1bn squad?

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #43937 on: February 27, 2023, 09:46:26 am »
Let them believe it.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline MJD-L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Mellor, lovely cushioned header...For GERRAAARD!"
« Reply #43938 on: February 27, 2023, 09:54:45 am »
Let them believe it.

This. Based on some of ETH's comments recently it seems he's starting to believe it himself.

It'll just make the inevitable crash even funnier.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43939 on: February 27, 2023, 09:59:24 am »
He’s obviously done well since he’s come in in that he’s stopped the rot, ended the laughing stock style drubbings, got them looking like a shoe in for the top 4 and has now won them a trophy, none of which were the case when he came in a year ago.

All of that said, although none of the above were present at the end of Solskjaer’s (or Mourinho/Van Gaal’a tenure,) they were all present at some stage during each of them with the exception of trophies in Solksjaer’s case due to narrowly losing a cup final and a few semi finals, Ten Haag hasn’t actually achieved anything that his predecessors were unable to.

The media will be hyping him up as the second coming of Ferguson because it generates click, either will people agreeing or disagreeing, but the reality is he has a long way to go to prove he’s any better than what came before him, let alone being the best manager in the world. People will write off the League Cup win on the basis that they had a soft draw, which is true, but if it was us I’d be pointing to the league position, the fact they’ve just knocked Barcelona out of the Europa League and more broadly that you’d have to say there’s a fair chance that they’ll add to that trophy tally this season. He’s clearly done well, but as I said, there’s a long way to go to suggest that it will genuinely improve on what’s gone before, the year of Van Gaal leaving/ Mourinho joining, for example, had them winning the FA Cup, Europa League and League Cup before it all then went to shit.

As ever with United it will depend as much on the stability and running of the club as to whether they’re able to take the next step, if they aren’t it will likely go to shit again as things rarely stay the same in football at the top level; you’re usually either going forward or backward as we have discovered ourselves recently. Hopefully in their case they continue as they have been and throw hundreds of millions at galactic style signings on mega money.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43940 on: February 27, 2023, 10:00:29 am »
I can't think of any better way of bringing them back down to earth than a nice humbling at Anfield next Sunday. Please.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #43941 on: February 27, 2023, 10:05:33 am »
Fair comments JM. If we’re going to (rightly) laugh at the hyperbole it is fair to mention he’s obviously improved them and seems like he knows what he’s doing.

Was an incredibly soft route to the final though, and even Newcastle are a pale shadow of the team they looked before Christmas. A trophy is a trophy and it will give them a boost but fucks sake they had it easy.

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43942 on: February 27, 2023, 10:08:02 am »
If they win the PL, CL and World Club Cup then, perhaps, can claim "best manager of the moment" award. 1 League Cup win though, fuck off hahahaha!!
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43943 on: February 27, 2023, 10:14:42 am »
Fair comments JM. If we’re going to (rightly) laugh at the hyperbole it is fair to mention he’s obviously improved them and seems like he knows what he’s doing.

Was an incredibly soft route to the final though, and even Newcastle are a pale shadow of the team they looked before Christmas. A trophy is a trophy and it will give them a boost but fucks sake they had it easy.

Yeah of course it was, the likes of Savage will come out with daft comments like ‘Ten Haag is a winner, he succeeded where Solskjaer failed’ whilst ignoring the fact that Solskjaer came up against Man City in the semi final whereas Ten Haag played Nottingham Forest.

The reality is that Manchester United, even in their shittest iterations, always had a reasonable chance of winning the league cup, which is why they’ve regularly been in and around the latter stages of it (and the Europa League/FA Cup,) the telling thing will be whether they’re able to take the next step next season, which hopefully they’ll be unable to.

It also makes me laugh that you have people hyping Ten Haag up due to demonstrating the fact that he’s a good manager by his in game substitutions, with the exception of Solskjaer/Moyes they’re issue has never been that the people employed (Van Haag, Mourinho) aren’t qualified to do the job, it’s been that the club has been run as a fucking circus making it impossible for anyone to achieve anything significant. There’s little evidence of that changing given the current ownership scenario, although obviously if they’re sold then it may do, but hopefully we get another few years of hilarity, if it does go to shit under the current manager it will be even sweeter than before as they’re all now hugely believing in him.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43944 on: February 27, 2023, 10:17:54 am »
If they win the PL, CL and World Club Cup then, perhaps, can claim "best manager of the moment" award. 1 League Cup win though, fuck off hahahaha!!
It's funny how winning a "Mickey Mouse" trophy now makes you the best manager in the world 🤡. When their cross-town rivals were winning it and when we won it last season, it was seen as tin-pot.

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43945 on: February 27, 2023, 10:27:10 am »
It's funny how winning a "Mickey Mouse" trophy now makes you the best manager in the world 🤡. When their cross-town rivals were winning it and when we won it last season, it was seen as tin-pot.

Indeed! They might even win the Euro Cup this season, which would be great for them. They are still miles away from having the best team and manager in the world though, chances are they will be miles off that for a long while yet.
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #43946 on: February 27, 2023, 11:49:43 am »

That's embarrassing even for the Manc-loving media.

He's won one League Cup after inheriting one of the most expensive squads in world football. After also having a piss easy route to the final.

A trophy their own fans think is beneath them. A trophy they have no respect for whatsoever.

Let's get it straight. He's got a mega expensive yet vastly under achieving team playing reasonably competent football. That's about it for now.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #43947 on: February 27, 2023, 12:29:51 pm »
Are Ten Haags hands even tinier than Trumps?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43948 on: February 27, 2023, 12:38:17 pm »

It's ludicrous on so many levels. Not only is this ignoring the likes of Klopp and Guardiola, it's even ignoring managers like Arteta, who's already won a cup and has Arsenal clear at the top of the League - with a far less expensive squad.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43949 on: February 27, 2023, 12:40:19 pm »
That's embarrassing even for the Manc-loving media.

He's won one League Cup after inheriting one of the most expensive squads in world football. After also having a piss easy route to the final.

A trophy their own fans think is beneath them. A trophy they have no respect for whatsoever.

Let's get it straight. He's got a mega expensive yet vastly under achieving team playing reasonably competent football. That's about it for now.

Indeed. Klopp was on the money when talking about the media and everything changing after 1 or 2 good or bad results. I assume Savage had that opinion before the match. Or his opinion changed based on 1 game against an out of form Newastle United. I wonder what Savage's opinion of Mikel Arteta is. He's doing a better job than Ten Hag, with less resources.

Online Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43950 on: February 27, 2023, 12:45:25 pm »

Working on a shoestring budget also. Incredible.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline SK8 Red

• A spanking! A spanking!
  • Main Stander
  • Supporting since 1983 at a guess
« Reply #43951 on: February 27, 2023, 12:50:07 pm »

I think the Napoli manager might question that comment

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43952 on: February 27, 2023, 01:09:04 pm »
The run they had to win the cup was the easiest I can ever remember.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Jm55

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43953 on: February 27, 2023, 01:57:49 pm »
The run they had to win the cup was the easiest I can ever remember.

City’s in the Fa Cup 2019 was up there

3rd round - Rotherham (H)
4th round - Burnley (H)
5th round - Newport (A)
Quarter Final - Swansea (A)
Semi-Final - Brighton (Wembley)
Final - Watford (Wembley)

Unreal when you think about it.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43954 on: February 27, 2023, 01:58:40 pm »
I think the Napoli manager might question that comment

Which would be fair, if football existed outside of the Premier Leagie, and on many occasions Manchester, for people like Robbie Savage.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43955 on: February 27, 2023, 01:58:48 pm »
Manager of the year is locked up and really think they can win the league this season. Surely with the best manager in the world and not that far off the top of the league right now why wouldn't they think they have a great chance?? 😉
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #43956 on: February 27, 2023, 02:27:34 pm »
City’s in the Fa Cup 2019 was up there

3rd round - Rotherham (H)
4th round - Burnley (H)
5th round - Newport (A)
Quarter Final - Swansea (A)
Semi-Final - Brighton (Wembley)
Final - Watford (Wembley)

Unreal when you think about it.

Our 2001 League Cup win was one of the easier ones I can remember (obviously easier to remember ours than other clubs). Only Chelsea from the Premier League and we got to play them at home and early before they maybe would have taken it more seriously.

But the other cups we’ve won, even when we’ve had an ‘easier’ final we’ve normally had to beat one of the top two or three sides in the country to win it. 2006 we took out United. 2012 League Cup we beat Chelsea away and City over two legs. Even back in 1995 we won away at Blackburn along the way.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #43957 on: February 27, 2023, 02:34:00 pm »
Always loved the league cup, even if my first cup final in person was the Rush/Arsenal one, it’s still obviously been great for us over the years. So I’m just delighted it’s now at long last a major trophy once more. Thanks Manchester United ;)

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #43958 on: February 27, 2023, 02:36:27 pm »
Our 2001 League Cup win was one of the easier ones I can remember (obviously easier to remember ours than other clubs). Only Chelsea from the Premier League and we got to play them at home and early before they maybe would have taken it more seriously.

Our FA Cup run in 2001 was a weird one. Played Leeds early on and Arsenal in the final but played lower league opposition in QF (Tranmere 24th in Championship) and SF (Wycombe L1). Also beat City at home who were poor that season and got relegated from PL.

Felt like a really easy middle run, bookended by 2 of the best teams in the league.

Whoever you play and when, it doesn't really diminish winning the trophy. The draws are luck and nothing you can do about it (either easy or hard).
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #43959 on: February 27, 2023, 03:22:36 pm »
I think the Napoli manager around 20/30 managers in world football, at least, might question that comment
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.