Author Topic: Curtis Jones  (Read 606523 times)

Offline StL-Dono

• Kopite
  • thank you Ian Rush
Re: Curtis Jones
« Reply #3880 on: November 2, 2022, 02:43:01 am »
It's kind of comical some of the reactions in here.  Just like we bemoan the media's narrative that TAA can't defend, RAWK's narrative is that Jones "holds the ball too long".  Haha...   I swear, it's a broken record listening to the comments.

Does he hold it too long on occasion?  Yeah.  Sort of goes with his ability to maintain control under pressure.  A few times tonight his holding on to the ball "too long" is what opened up space and created decent chances (thinking of the one Elliot blasted into row Z). 

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3881 on: November 2, 2022, 12:23:59 pm »
He played great last night. Fantastic for his 3rd (?) game back from a 2 month layoff?

The people criticizing are going to do that for Jones non-stop - that's their narrative for him and they won't be moved. Who cares.

Offline dai_bonehead

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3882 on: November 2, 2022, 01:03:11 pm »
He's a player as far as my limited eyes can see. If Curtis can stay injury free I honestly think he can be as effective as Gini was. Curtis has the ball skills to beat pressure and get the opposition on the back foot.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #3883 on: November 2, 2022, 01:12:19 pm »
A good performance last night facing some really good Napoli players. It's good to get Jones back given our current problems in midfield and hopefully he can stay fit as he has something to offer without question.

He's probably still a bit rusty himself but I'd get him in for more minutes during these last three fixtures and hopefully after the World Cup he's in better shape.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3884 on: November 2, 2022, 01:21:50 pm »
Would currently take Jones in a midfield 3 or a front 3 all day long over Elliott or Carvalho.

Offline lukeb1981

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3885 on: November 2, 2022, 01:24:03 pm »
The lad held his own last night , just has to release the ball a bit sooner in some moments but as he gets more game time that confidence will come.

Offline Spezialo

• Knocked out of the world cup. Should have had a pen. As if you wouldn't confront the ref.
  • Kopite
« Reply #3886 on: November 2, 2022, 01:24:23 pm »
Would currently take Jones in a midfield 3 or a front 3 all day long over Elliott or Carvalho.

Really? Over Elliot?

Offline oldman

• Kopite
« Reply #3887 on: November 2, 2022, 02:08:28 pm »
thought he did great last night- and he should be given some slack as well - he's coming back from a horrible injury

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3888 on: November 2, 2022, 02:14:34 pm »
Playing in that left-sided forward role he's similar to Grealish, not particularly pacey but can still glide past defenders.  Just needs to work on his end product and learn to buy 100 freekicks every match.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #3889 on: November 2, 2022, 02:53:52 pm »
He deserves some credit for rocking the perm and tache combo which hasnt been popular in Liverpool for at least 35 years.

Fair play.
FAME makes a man take things over

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3890 on: November 2, 2022, 02:57:28 pm »
Injuries are his only problem.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3891 on: November 2, 2022, 03:04:17 pm »
I thought he played well but it's a role he's never going to hold if we have a remotely fit squad as it's probably the area we have the most depth with Diaz, Jota and Nunez.

I really like Jones but not sure where he gets regular game time.  It seemed like he was being groomed to be similar to Wijnaldum - something that would definitely benefit us - but he's definitely better further up the pitch.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3892 on: November 2, 2022, 04:18:19 pm »
Playing in that left-sided forward role he's similar to Grealish, not particularly pacey but can still glide past defenders.  Just needs to work on his end product and learn to buy 100 freekicks every match.
hairband.   don't forget the hairband.

Offline MPowerYNWA

• Kopite
« Reply #3893 on: November 2, 2022, 04:34:05 pm »
I thought he played well but it's a role he's never going to hold if we have a remotely fit squad as it's probably the area we have the most depth with Diaz, Jota and Nunez.

I really like Jones but not sure where he gets regular game time.  It seemed like he was being groomed to be similar to Wijnaldum - something that would definitely benefit us - but he's definitely better further up the pitch.

He could play the deep 9 role - but would need some development

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3894 on: November 2, 2022, 05:23:09 pm »
He’s a very good dribbler when he wants to be, just needs to add the passing and shooting I saw of him in the youth teams, deep down he’s capable of it but he always seems to get injured when he’s gaining momentum.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #3895 on: November 2, 2022, 05:43:23 pm »
Can't pass?

Did everyone miss his pass that sent Salah off on a run on goal? The shot was saved and Mo was slightly offside but that didn't detract from the pass. Right through the lines. Perfectly weighted. Just what Salah needs.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #3896 on: November 2, 2022, 05:58:09 pm »
Can't pass?

Did everyone miss his pass that sent Salah off on a run on goal? The shot was saved and Mo was slightly offside but that didn't detract from the pass. Right through the lines. Perfectly weighted. Just what Salah needs.

Hit and miss. There was one where he passed straight to the goalkeeper when it was easier to pass it  behind the defence to Salah.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #3897 on: November 2, 2022, 06:53:55 pm »
Hit and miss.
Sure, but that describes every player's contributions ever. Even the best have plenty of misses, whatever they try. That's the nature of the game. Football is a game of mistakes and misplaces with occasional moments when things go right.

We have this odd thing now in fandom where players people want to criticise have to be perfect, even though the ones the same people drool over aren't.

He needs to improve. of course, but there's some good stuff there. No one knows if he will ultimately make it or not but until he doesn't (if that were to happen) he is someone who could and for me that's a much better way of looking at it esp for a young player.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #3898 on: November 2, 2022, 06:58:18 pm »
hairband.   don't forget the hairband.

And wear little, girly socks.

Offline RedBec1993

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3899 on: November 2, 2022, 07:00:16 pm »
He done better last night. He does dwell on the ball and hold onto it too often but he’s only 21, he will learn. It’s best to persevere with him. I think he definitely knows how much people expect of him which probably weighs heavily on him.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3900 on: November 2, 2022, 07:03:17 pm »
Sure, but that describes every player's contributions ever. Even the best have plenty of misses, whatever they try. That's the nature of the game. Football is a game of mistakes and misplaces with occasional moments when things go right.

We have this odd thing now in fandom where players people want to criticise have to be perfect, even though the ones the same people drool over aren't.

He needs to improve. of course, but there's some good stuff there. No one knows if he will ultimately make it or not but until he doesn't (if that were to happen) he is someone who could and for me that's a much better way of looking at it esp for a young player.

It's sport overall nowadays, look at boxing.

One loss and 'ahh well it was good while it lasted, I reckon he should retire'

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3901 on: November 2, 2022, 07:05:50 pm »
Played well yesterday, much more like it. Would like to see him in that role in the run up to the World Cup

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #3902 on: November 3, 2022, 07:34:13 am »
He played great last night. Fantastic for his 3rd (?) game back from a 2 month layoff?

The people criticizing are going to do that for Jones non-stop - that's their narrative for him and they won't be moved. Who cares.
Missed the entire match due to work, so just come in to check how Curtis did and this is great to read. I really do think he should be judged after a decent run of games, rather than after finding his way back after a long lay off. Some of the constructive criticism he gets might be fair enough, but I was a bit puzzled by others writing him off as ‘never going to be good enough’ / ‘sell him’. And be left with who exactly?!

Who knows, they might be right in the end, but at the moment Jürgen seems to disagree which is good enough for me. We need to get fully behind him rather than write him off. At his age and with the amount of ‘Klopp’ that has already been downloaded into his young brain, he’s surely a precious commodity. Obviously needs a long injury-free run.

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3903 on: November 3, 2022, 10:05:59 am »
I like Jones.

He is not a once in a generation tallent like Steve G or Alexander-Arnold, but he can play fairly well in a few positions. I thought he did well against Napoli.
Justice for the 96!

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #3904 on: November 3, 2022, 10:37:45 am »
a good match for him, started running out of steam at around 65mins, which is normal after his time out. i do want to see what he's like for 90 mins. thought the whole team played quicker vs Napoli, and counter-pressing was back.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #3905 on: November 8, 2022, 02:17:22 pm »
Curtis Jones
Steamin' and a-rollin'
Curtis Jones
You never have to guess
When you hear the tooting of the whistle
It's Curtis at the throttle of the Liverpool Express

For anyone that remembers TV from the 1950s, which is no-one really, it was a catchy tune (Casey Jones)
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline JonnyCigarettes®

• Airfix salesman (rumoured to be training a secret wankfest monkey arsegravy army)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty fly for a white guy
« Reply #3906 on: November 8, 2022, 10:48:17 pm »
Me and Curtis, Curtis Jones
Curtis Jones, Curtis Jones, Curtis Jones
We got a thing goin' on
We gotta be extra careful
We can't afford to build our hopes up too high
I wanna meet and talk with you
At the same place, the same café, the same time
And we gonna hold hands like we used to
We gonna talk it over, talk it over
We know, they know, and you know
And I know that it was wrong
But our thing is strong, we gotta let 'em know now
That we got a thing going on, a thing going on
Johnny Sack: 200 grand for insulting my wife. What's next, Carmine, he gets to fuck her for a million?

Carmine: He wants to fuck her?

Johnny Sack: I'm making a point.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #3907 on: November 9, 2022, 10:40:19 am »
Me and Curtis, Curtis Jones
Curtis Jones, Curtis Jones, Curtis Jones
We got a thing goin' on
We gotta be extra careful
We can't afford to build our hopes up too high
I wanna meet and talk with you
At the same place, the same café, the same time
And we gonna hold hands like we used to
We gonna talk it over, talk it over
We know, they know, and you know
And I know that it was wrong
But our thing is strong, we gotta let 'em know now
That we got a thing going on, a thing going on

I suspect we need to make Curtis Jones (and his local police force) aware of your interest before something happens, expect a knock on the door and your computer to be searched

;D
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3908 on: November 12, 2022, 02:19:42 pm »
Have I missed an update on Curtis in any conferences/briefing to journalists?

Wondering if his stress fracture from the Charity Shield has been reinjured for a second time

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3909 on: November 12, 2022, 02:54:45 pm »
He's injured way too much. They're rarely seemingly serious long term ones but he just ends up missing so many games.

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3910 on: November 12, 2022, 05:26:10 pm »
Have I missed an update on Curtis in any conferences/briefing to journalists?

Wondering if his stress fracture from the Charity Shield has been reinjured for a second time

No update but its clear as day hes injured again, not on the bench midweek or today.

Seems his body is just falling apart already at 21, not a good sign.

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #3911 on: November 12, 2022, 05:33:40 pm »
Can’t really be relied on unfortunately like a few players in the squad.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3912 on: November 12, 2022, 05:36:35 pm »
The Boss said that we had to bring him back too soon due to injuries,so maybe he's just making sure that the lad is 100% for the second half of the season.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #3913 on: November 12, 2022, 05:42:47 pm »
Klopp was asked about injuries yesterday and no mention of Jones. People need to calm down and wait for actual news before complaining about things that haven't happened.

The source of last weeks rage was Keita having a new muscle injury, and surprise surprise he's totally fine, running outside and on schedule to join the Dubai training camp as was always the plan.

Enjoy the win and stop looking for drama.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 05:46:01 pm by JasonF »

Online JasonF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #3914 on: November 17, 2022, 12:57:29 am »
Curtis Jones set to sign new Liverpool contract

Curtis Jones is set to sign a new contract with Liverpool as Jürgen Klopp continues to place his faith in the midfielder.

Jones, who has been at the club since under-nine level, has a deal which runs until 2025, but that will be replaced with new terms.

The 21-year-old has experienced a frustrating season with injuries restricting him to only seven appearances. However, the Liverpool manager Klopp continues to rate the homegrown talent highly and believes he can remain an important player in the future.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/511f27c2-65f1-11ed-9c3b-2d9184d0076f

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #3915 on: November 17, 2022, 01:11:17 am »
I’ll be the one to say it - why and why new terms? Presuming they are better terms than what he is on now!  He’s got a deal till 2025. I know we aren’t privy to what’s going on behind the scenes, but I just don’t get this. 

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3916 on: November 17, 2022, 01:25:37 am »
His last contract extension came when he was a teen still and before he broke into the first team, presumably he's still on youth wages far below the rest of the squad. I'd imagine he's being rewarded for his performances since then and his role within the squad, rather than because we need to lock him down for longer.

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3917 on: November 17, 2022, 01:28:46 am »
I’ll be the one to say it - why and why new terms? Presuming they are better terms than what he is on now!  He’s got a deal till 2025. I know we aren’t privy to what’s going on behind the scenes, but I just don’t get this. 

Probably because he’s a good young player who the club and management value and want to keep, and keep happy.

But who knows?

Online JasonF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #3918 on: November 17, 2022, 01:33:02 am »

The same article says we're likely letting Naby, Ox and Milner leave in the summer. Not really news but I'm sure losing 3 centre mids is a factor in wanting to tie Jones down. Though as you say, 3 years left on his deal. It probably is a bit about bringing his wages in line with his squad role too.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #3919 on: November 17, 2022, 02:43:49 am »
It’s the contract length factor that is what I’m questioning. It’s not running out next year or even the year after.

I know it’s not the done thing to question a player, but he’s not pushing on - and yes, injuries are one factor in that of course - and goodness knows we know all about having midfielders who struggle with that.

I mean, I honestly am not that arsed, and he’s a young player who fills a spot in the squad. I just don’t get the rush.