Author Topic: Curtis Jones  (Read 603018 times)

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
Re: Curtis Jones
« Reply #3760 on: October 23, 2022, 11:16:58 am »
No. Everyone is supposed to be in awe of every of our players including the under 11s

That’s a terrible attitude to have and what’s contributing to the malaise of the younger generation of footballers! What has an 11 yo done or proven on a pitch, ever??? This is how you grow your lingards
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3761 on: October 23, 2022, 02:03:55 pm »
I have seen Jones a couple of times from the stadium. He's not a bad player, however, if he was not an academy graduate from Liverpool & instead was lining up for a Southampton or Brighton or Palace, no one would think he should be an option for us and that's what it boils down to. For what we want to achieve and what his abilities are, I don't think he should be someone we rely on, for the benefit of both parties really.

I think the entire opposite. I think him coming through the academy and being a local means people largely take for granted his ability, and the more over-reactive among our fanbase reach for him as a scapegoat because 2+2=7 (only here cos he's local).

Reminder that "no one would think he should be an option for us and that's what it boils down to" when Gini was playing for Newcastle and getting relegated.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #3762 on: October 23, 2022, 02:05:03 pm »
I think the entire opposite. I think him coming through the academy and being a local means people largely take for granted his ability, and the more over-reactive among our fanbase reach for him as a scapegoat because 2+2=7 (only here cos he's local).

Reminder that "no one would think he should be an option for us and that's what it boils down to" when Gini was playing for Newcastle and getting relegated.

Or Robertson at Hull.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3763 on: October 23, 2022, 02:25:17 pm »
this is from a different footie board, I think it's good.  mostly coz I wrote it ...

when Jones came in, he had a lot more flair about him, and showed a lot of talent. a true attacking midfielder imo.

but I'm convinced he has been told to suppress his natural game, in an attempt to mould him into Gini 2.0 ..... but it's not worked very well. his injuries may well have been an impediment of course. maybe it will never work, it's one hell of a tough ask.

we have one - one - midfielder performing well. Thiago. and he's out as much as in, so at this point, given our midfield revolving door, too much is being expected of a 21 y,o, lad. and I see a lot of ppl wanting to ditch him coz he can't carry a huge load.

Jones has a role to play for LFC and in a stable setup I think we'll see him do a great job. just hope he gets the chance.

Offline abetts

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3764 on: October 23, 2022, 05:11:23 pm »
I was surprised he didn't start in the LM/LW spot where Carvalho played, with Henderson in central midfield. He seems most effective from the left and does his best work nearer to the opposition's goal. And since he's been out for a while, it might have helped him positioning wise to play in a more familiar role.

Offline Dree

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3765 on: October 23, 2022, 05:28:00 pm »
I was surprised he didn't start in the LM/LW spot where Carvalho played, with Henderson in central midfield. He seems most effective from the left and does his best work nearer to the opposition's goal. And since he's been out for a while, it might have helped him positioning wise to play in a more familiar role.

Henderson would be tired and doesn’t really help in scrappy games. Too many weak links yesterday. Jones putting in a tidy enough performance yesterday is fine if we can’t hoping Carvalho and Elliott over perform for their age and we haven’t rinsed all our 31 year olds for the third time in 6 days.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #3766 on: October 24, 2022, 01:33:59 pm »
Average performance but it's expected as its his first game back. Think he is better in a 3 as that's what he's been used to for the past 3 years.

Once he's up to speed he will contribute more.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #3767 on: October 24, 2022, 03:31:38 pm »
Unfortunately, due to a lack of investment in the squad, Jones finds himself pretty much Thiago's understudy - which is a sad indictment of our options in 2022.

Great story for a local lad to actually become a squad player at LFC, fair play to him for that - but he isn't good enough and he never will be.

Doesn't have the athleticism, pace or strength to play CM or LW for a top 4 side the Premier League. I won't change my mind.
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3768 on: October 24, 2022, 03:48:42 pm »
Unfortunately, due to a lack of investment in the squad, Jones finds himself pretty much Thiago's understudy - which is a sad indictment of our options in 2022.

Great story for a local lad to actually become a squad player at LFC, fair play to him for that - but he isn't good enough and he never will be.

Doesn't have the athleticism, pace or strength to play CM or LW for a top 4 side the Premier League. I won't change my mind.

I agree, but I am open to him changing my mind . However,  I have little optimism as he has never really demonstrated improvement; he is much the same now as he's ever been.

Offline MH41

• Kopite
« Reply #3769 on: October 24, 2022, 04:03:09 pm »
Am I one of the few who still have high hopes for Curtis, AND think he was one of our better players on Saturday?
Considering his time out, I thought the young lad had a good game. He retains possession well, and is incredibly hard to get the ball off. He shields it very well.
At times I would have liked him to be a little more progressive with his passing, but it was hard to tell whether the options were there ahead of him, and he therefore was forced to hold on to the ball, or play a more conservative pass.
I think he also has the incredible ability to ghost past players with the drop of a shoulder (like Mcmanam), and get a shot away before the keeper is set.
We have many problems, but I don't think Jones is one, particularly in his first full game back

Offline WanderlustRed

• Not Really Caring That Much For 25 Years & Counting. Definitely not a fawnicator.
  • Main Stander
« Reply #3770 on: October 24, 2022, 04:07:06 pm »
Am I one of the few who still have high hopes for Curtis, AND think he was one of our better players on Saturday?

Few, maybe.

But I can tell you that you aren't the only one. I like him as a player, and thought he did pretty well considering not only his return from injury but also playing in an unfamiliar role.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3771 on: October 24, 2022, 06:11:04 pm »
Considering his time out, I thought the young lad had a good game. He retains possession well, and is incredibly hard to get the ball off. He shields it very well.
At times I would have liked him to be a little more progressive with his passing, but it was hard to tell whether the options were there ahead of him, and he therefore was forced to hold on to the ball, or play a more conservative pass.
I think he also has the incredible ability to ghost past players with the drop of a shoulder (like Mcmanam), and get a shot away before the keeper is set.
We have many problems, but I don't think Jones is one, particularly in his first full game back

Think he's one of the few players we have with excellent dribbling ability married with good control and that skill has gotten him out of trouble regularly.

But what he does with the ball can be frustrating when he doesn't release it quickly enough or see passes early to players moving into space and that imo can and has at times hurt our momentum.

Still,to me he's got so much potential we should persist with playing him,for me ideally coming on for the last 20-30 minutes,i'd really like all our young players brought slowly in with experienced players taking the brunt of the minutes until we're sure they're ready but here we are again with half our midfield regularly out.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3772 on: October 24, 2022, 06:31:22 pm »

you're not alone mate.

we asked a 21yo to carry our midfield, and put in a full game in his first game back after a tough injury.

and we have knobs on here screaming for the club to get rid because he didn't perform like peak fucking Thiago or something against a parked-bus defence.

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #3773 on: October 24, 2022, 06:47:56 pm »

I am a big fan. There is a lot to come from Curtis Jones. IMHO he makes it here as a first team player.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #3774 on: October 24, 2022, 06:52:26 pm »

It took 3 injuries for him to play at Forest. Thiago, Keita and Arthur who was signed as Thiago's understudy.

Jones playing would have been less of problem if he was properly up to speed. He'd played about 20 minutes of football all season and also thrown into a team with Milner at right back and Elliott and Carvalho both having to start.

It'd be the equivalent of starting Keita on Wednesday and expecting him to be Thiago and be match fit.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3775 on: October 24, 2022, 06:54:21 pm »
Jones playing would have been less of problem if he was properly up to speed. He'd played about 20 minutes of football all season and also thrown into a team with Milner at right back and Elliott and Carvalho both having to start.

exactamundo

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3776 on: October 24, 2022, 06:54:50 pm »
I thought he had a  decent game considering.Didn't wanna say anything after the game cos of the Post-game Rage-a-thon.Just needs to play more and stay injury free.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3777 on: October 24, 2022, 07:53:36 pm »

Agree 100%

Sick to death of seeing our players unable to take the ball under pressure or just lose possession and hit the deck or not track back enough through being pressured, he turned a good few situations where players generally lose the ball into ones in which we retained possession and were able to maintain pressure on the opposition. He was one of very few players to come out of the Forest game with any credit IMO

I still think he’s a brilliant player but whenever I see him line up in another side e.g. England U21s… different player. He looks like he’s been let loose to play his natural game. I’d love to see him utilised near goal, in the front 3 or as a 10. His natural game is as a creator and carrying the ball towards goal, he isn’t afraid to shoot and can do it excellently with both feet. You have a player who can carry the ball and is fouled A LOT and we’re deploying him away from the opposition box. Put him close to goal, he can shoot and pass very well
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 07:57:20 pm by RyanBabel19 »

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3778 on: October 24, 2022, 08:03:39 pm »
I still think he’s a brilliant player but whenever I see him line up in another side e.g. England U21s… different player. He looks like he’s been let loose to play his natural game. I’d love to see him utilised near goal, in the front 3 or as a 10. His natural game is as a creator and carrying the ball towards goal, he isn’t afraid to shoot and can do it excellently with both feet. You have a player who can carry the ball and is fouled A LOT and we’re deploying him away from the opposition box. Put him close to goal, he can shoot and pass very well

I posted this earlier:
when Jones came in, he had a lot more flair about him, and showed a lot of talent. a true attacking midfielder imo.
I'm convinced he has been told to suppress his natural game, in an attempt to mould him into Gini 2.0 ..... but it's not worked very well. his injuries may well have been an impediment of course. maybe it will never work, it's one hell of a tough ask.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3779 on: October 24, 2022, 08:09:07 pm »
I posted this earlier:
I'm convinced he has been told to suppress his natural game, in an attempt to mould him into Gini 2.0 ..... but it's not worked very well. his injuries may well have been an impediment of course. maybe it will never work, it's one hell of a tough ask.

I agree to be honest, i’ve said it a few times on here and i’d imagine what we’ve said is hugely simplifying things and in reality it’s a lot more nuanced involving things like the system we deploy and a difference in responsibilities in our side compared to in our youth teams and in that of Englands U21s

I do wonder whether young players struggle slightly with the weight of expectation playing in our side and the instuctions in terms of pressing, triggers, positioning and creating. There seems to be a moment quite often where our players are caught between 2 minds

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #3780 on: October 24, 2022, 08:57:10 pm »
He needs to be playing week in week out. The potential is there but he just doesn’t show it enough. If we were to sign 2-3 midfielders come next January and next summer, he should go out on loan to play week in week out. Like others have said, due to poor planning, he’s now in a position where he shouldn’t be but due to injuries we have to rely on players in him, Elliott and carvalho who might all have great futures ahead of them but just not quite at the level required just now

Offline Ma Vie en Rouge

• J'aime voir...!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3781 on: October 24, 2022, 09:03:51 pm »
Agree 100%

Sick to death of seeing our players unable to take the ball under pressure or just lose possession and hit the deck or not track back enough through being pressured, he turned a good few situations where players generally lose the ball into ones in which we retained possession and were able to maintain pressure on the opposition. He was one of very few players to come out of the Forest game with any credit IMO

But where can we play him closer to goal? He is behind Diaz, Salah, Nunez, Firmino and Jota for the front positions. He's surely behind a few for the 10 position too. So either he adapts his game to this deeper, more conservative role, we change tactics, or he goes somewhere else to get a more attacking role.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3782 on: October 24, 2022, 09:24:10 pm »
disagree with the "loan Jones out" shouts.

he's 21.  he'd never come back to Anfield.  how many ever have, and stayed?  (I'm not counting Elliott, who was/is a teenager anyway.)

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #3783 on: October 24, 2022, 10:47:44 pm »
due to poor planning, he’s now in a position where he shouldn’t be but due to injuries we have to rely on players in him
Don't think it is poor planning at all when it comes to Curtis. I think he has been developed to be a good squad rotation option and his performances over the past 2 seasons comfirm this. Yes there have been some anonymous displays and he is not 1st choice but get him fit and sharp and he will add a lot to this currently struggling midfield.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3784 on: October 24, 2022, 11:42:02 pm »
But where can we play him closer to goal? He is behind Diaz, Salah, Nunez, Firmino and Jota for the front positions. He's surely behind a few for the 10 position too. So either he adapts his game to this deeper, more conservative role, we change tactics, or he goes somewhere else to get a more attacking role.

We literally just played a game with limited options in the front 3 due to injuries against a side near the bottom of the league. No ones saying he needs to be the first name on the teamsheet but there are plenty of opportunities to deploy the lad further forward if we want to.

Its a long season with shitloads of games and we are guaranteed a lot of injuries

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #3785 on: October 25, 2022, 07:38:26 pm »
Klopp: "The situation before Forest was really strange, a player who hasn't played in a long time in Curtis Jones in a position he hasn't played. He did really well"
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #3786 on: October 26, 2022, 10:41:22 am »
Don't think it is poor planning at all when it comes to Curtis. I think he has been developed to be a good squad rotation option and his performances over the past 2 seasons comfirm this. Yes there have been some anonymous displays and he is not 1st choice but get him fit and sharp and he will add a lot to this currently struggling midfie
I posted this earlier:

Maybe, just maybe, Klopp knows how to help guide and mould Jones in to an elite midfield player.
His all round game is developing nicely and he is learning to follow team orders.
His progress has been hindered by injuries, but very few 20 year olds dominate midfield in a difficult away European fixture like he did against Porto last season.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline MPowerYNWA

• Kopite
« Reply #3787 on: October 26, 2022, 07:36:20 pm »
The main issue Curtis needs to address is to stop holding onto the ball for so long - too many touches.

After that it comes down to fitness and being let off the leash and getting a run of games.

We need to give him time and a chance - then see where we are.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #3788 on: October 26, 2022, 07:37:57 pm »
The main issue Curtis needs to address is to stop holding onto the ball for so long - too many touches.

After that it comes down to fitness and being let off the leash and getting a run of games.

I think he can only be judged once he plays in a settled team - probably January onwards. ;D

Offline StL-Dono

• Kopite
  • thank you Ian Rush
« Reply #3789 on: October 26, 2022, 07:43:34 pm »
I think he can only be judged once he plays in a settled team - probably January onwards. ;D

I love this optimism!!  Settled team by January would be a miracle.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3790 on: October 27, 2022, 12:02:00 am »
he did exactly what we needed tonight -- very tidy and controlled, managed the game out -- and got valuable minutes into his legs.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #3791 on: October 27, 2022, 12:09:03 am »

That was exactly what was said about Gini. Is it Jones or is it just the contoller role.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3792 on: October 27, 2022, 07:03:03 am »
Maybe, just maybe, Klopp knows how to help guide and mould Jones in to an elite midfield player.
His all round game is developing nicely and he is learning to follow team orders.
His progress has been hindered by injuries, but very few 20 year olds dominate midfield in a difficult away European fixture like he did against Porto last season.
I would say Jones development path would be similar to Gundogan was more attacking and Klopp developed him into a top level 8 type in the side.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3793 on: October 27, 2022, 08:21:23 am »
That was exactly what was said about Gini. Is it Jones or is it just the contoller role.

I'm not sure if the criticism is fair. That said, the bar isn't Gini for this role. It's Thiago.

Offline Dree

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3794 on: October 27, 2022, 08:49:21 am »

The problem with our midfield is not enough touches, we need players who don’t hit it forward as soon as they’re pressed.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #3795 on: October 27, 2022, 10:58:25 am »
That’s a terrible attitude to have and what’s contributing to the malaise of the younger generation of footballers! What has an 11 yo done or proven on a pitch, ever??? This is how you grow your lingards

It’s sarcasm  ;D

I pointed some time ago that Harvey has stolen ahead of Curtis and it looks like it is leaving Curtis further behind now.

It is getting difficult to define his role in the team.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3796 on: October 27, 2022, 12:07:13 pm »

Not sure it's the role, it's the same with Jones wherever he plays on the pitch, just lacks decisiveness in the final third.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #3797 on: October 27, 2022, 03:19:31 pm »
seems he's a bit of a marmite player

I saw nothing wrong with his re-introduction into the team. He doesn't seem to cause others to mop up after him whenever I've seen him play.

He can stamp his authority on games more and needs to probably, but let him get re-acquainted with playing footy again!
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #3798 on: October 27, 2022, 05:13:01 pm »
He's 21 and had a few long stretches out during spells when he likely would have gotten more minutes. He's still working his way back into things. Give him time.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3799 on: October 27, 2022, 07:05:55 pm »
Boy can he keep the ball!

He did well in the 20 mins.

Still baffles me why people aren't going to give him a chance to get back up to speed before passing judgment.

Clearly, Klopp and co. are going to and I think they had him in their plans for this season from the off - but for the untimely injury.