Author Topic: Curtis Jones  (Read 603035 times)

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: Curtis Jones
« Reply #3840 on: October 30, 2022, 02:09:31 am »
I badly badly want this lad to be a liverpool star

I felt the same trajectory as mcmanaman at one point

It’s not looking great. That was as bad as it gets

A lot of people do, that’s why he gets judged through red tinted specs. He’s not good enough, hasn’t progressed (partly due to injuries) and he’s only getting older. Unfortunately long term he’s not gonna make it here and we need better

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3841 on: October 30, 2022, 05:28:54 am »
Bless his heart, but he's not of the required quality to play for us.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3842 on: October 30, 2022, 06:26:29 am »
Thus far, he hasn't shown a great deal of quality since returning from injury. Happy to wait and see because he is a young player and he has had a lot of injury. Unfortunately for him, not all fans will be that patient. There are plenty of good, young, English players in the EPL and abroad and many will look to the likes of Mount, Gallagher, Foden, Saka, Smith-Rowe, and of course Bellingham and start asking questions about why Curtis is even here when he's a long, long way from the level of those players. He better find his fitness, sharpness and form fast.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3843 on: October 30, 2022, 06:47:12 am »
Like many Liverpool players right now I have no clue where his best position is.  Football though....someone can show glimpses and Curtis really does do that but for many factors it doesn't work out. They go somewhere else where maybe that team is a little more structured, maybe there isn't the same emphasis on breaking teams down and having 70 percent of the ball against a low block (this is where I feel like he struggles) and they are successful.

I think he'll have a good career but not here under Jürgen.

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3844 on: October 30, 2022, 11:10:17 am »
Honest question - how much do you think we could get for him if we sold him today?

Not much. He's been injured pretty much non stop for two years and the timing of when that's come in his career has pretty much killed his development. Someone might be willing to give us £10-15m because he's homegrown and because of the talent he had. But he definitely has the injury prone tag now and hasn't been able to prove anything because of that, so his value is probably pretty low.

Last night was a worrying awful cameo too. He gave it away every single time.

I think we might as well keep him around for another 18 months and see if he can find some consistency back in his game. But we should basically be planning as soon as though he's not there, so at least two new centre mids would still be a necessity.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #3845 on: October 30, 2022, 11:11:27 am »
Came on ran around like a headless chicken, misplaced a lot of passes and then really did nothing much else.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #3846 on: October 30, 2022, 11:12:32 am »
He just hasn't kicked on and unfortunately I don't see him being here in a year or two, particularly if we buy much needed reinforcements in midfield.

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #3847 on: October 30, 2022, 11:14:21 am »
He’s better than that. Just back from injury and being thrust into this mess isn’t the best time to assess him.
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3848 on: October 30, 2022, 11:16:24 am »
Don’t think Curtis is ever going to be world class, he does get the benefit of being a local lad and people want him to succeed that bit more. If he stays fit he could become an important squad player tho.
Not fair to judge him on last night as the whole team are poor right now.

Offline JonnyCigarettes®

• Airfix salesman (rumoured to be training a secret wankfest monkey arsegravy army)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty fly for a white guy
« Reply #3849 on: October 30, 2022, 12:20:33 pm »
He's the same age that Jonjo Shelvey was when he left the club, having played the same number of games.  He hasn't had a fraction of the impact Shelvey had, and Shelvey wasn't good enough to play for Liverpool, despite his obvious ability.
Johnny Sack: 200 grand for insulting my wife. What's next, Carmine, he gets to fuck her for a million?

Carmine: He wants to fuck her?

Johnny Sack: I'm making a point.

Offline deanloco9

• Kopite
« Reply #3850 on: October 30, 2022, 12:43:13 pm »
I'm sorry but he's simply just bad and not up to the standard required. He doesn't get in any other team inside the top 10.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3851 on: October 30, 2022, 01:56:45 pm »
Don’t think Curtis is ever going to be world class, he does get the benefit of being a local lad and people want him to succeed that bit more. If he stays fit he could become an important squad player tho.

Very few players ever attain world class standard, though the term is widely used these days to even include players such as Rashford. Curtis would do very well at a mid placed Premier League club (not us though!) which in itself is a very high level. I think he needs to move on to further his career as he is a talented though flawed footballer.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3852 on: October 30, 2022, 06:00:10 pm »
Very few players ever attain world class standard, though the term is widely used these days to even include players such as Rashford. Curtis would do very well at a mid placed Premier League club (not us though!) which in itself is a very high level. I think he needs to move on to further his career as he is a talented though flawed footballer.

Not up to the standards required.

Online LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #3853 on: October 30, 2022, 07:45:58 pm »
Not where I had hoped he'd be in his development at this point. I just don't think he'll ever become a top midfielder for us.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3854 on: October 30, 2022, 07:54:21 pm »
Ox and Keita never fit and out of contract. Milner will turn 37 - and out of contract. Henderson and Fabinho creaking. Thiago will turn 32 and will miss games. Melo's only on loan and injured. Elliott is young and currently inconsistent (and might never really be a central midfielder).

Absolutely no point (and much against) rushing Jones out of the club. Will he ever be a regular and fulfil his potential? Don't know. Ridiculous (yet predictable) that he's getting this much of the criticism in this situation.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3855 on: October 30, 2022, 08:33:22 pm »
Agreed there should be no rush to sell him, unless we all of a sudden buy 3 new midfielders or we get silly money for him.
Next season we could have: Thiago, Henderson, Fabinho, Elliott and Carvalho in the midfield + any new signings (and youth players) so keeping Jones will make sense.

If we knew for sure that we would add at least two new midfielders and Morton and Bajcetic were available and ready to fight for a starting spot I’d think Curtis would start to ask how much he’d play when all be fit.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #3856 on: October 30, 2022, 09:26:35 pm »
He's a good squad option but various injuries have really curtailed his progress for a year and a half now. This could have been his chance to make his mark on the team this season but he gets injured in the opening game and returns rusty just before the World Cup in a struggling team.

Easy to say sell him (and he's one of the sellable assets we have in midfield) but Keita, Ox, Milner and Arthur will all move on in the summer and Henderson and Thiago will be another year older. It's not like the club are going to sign 3 or 4 midfielders to replace them if Jones went as well.

It's make-or-break time after the World Cup though. He's got that break as he won't be going to the World Cup and with his fitness back he's got to show something after Christmas. Maybe he'll start to pick up some form over the next few games.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3857 on: October 30, 2022, 09:35:52 pm »
I thought he showed the energy we've been sorely missing this season and was heavily involved in us winning the ball high up the pitch on a bunch of occasions. It was a frustrating performance as he was thrown in after a long lay off and asked to turn around a game we were drawing and performing awfully in, I think that panic showed in his game and was extra irritating because we couldn't afford to squander opportunities at that stage.

I think he's clearly an 8 in our system, sticks to his duties well and is good at dribbling and moving the ball forward. I am a bit surprised he seems to struggle around the 18 yard box considering he was a forward in the youth team, but I don't think that's a huge problem given the success we've had playing with a more functional midfield in recent years.

His defensive stats are weird, he presses just fine and gets the ball off the opposition a fair amount without getting the credit. I'm assuming it's related to how we press as a unit but it's not an issue for me.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3858 on: October 30, 2022, 09:44:21 pm »

No one is judging him on last night though. His performances combined with his injury record show he’s done nothing to be considered as one for being in the team for years to come

He’s a decent lad, but what is he actually meant to be ‘good’ at? Not saying he’s a bad player but he’s not the level of player we should be holding onto. We need better

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3859 on: October 30, 2022, 09:45:43 pm »
No one is judging him on last night though. His performances combined with his injury record show he’s done nothing to be considered as one for being in the team for years to come

He’s a decent lad, but what is he actually meant to be ‘good’ at? Not saying he’s a bad player but he’s not the level of player we should be holding onto. We need better
His injury record is good.
He had a freak Eye injury, then Covid and one stress related injury. but he generally very fit

Offline Topwings!

• Main Stander
« Reply #3860 on: October 31, 2022, 06:01:40 am »
Pretty sure he is a good lad and all that but Elliot is younger and already much better than Jones.  He really didn't contribute much positively and the misplaced passes on Saturday were glaringly bad.  Arsenal's young guns seem to be on a much different level in comparison.   The club seems to be stuck in reverse gear with products from the academy and the lack of transfer activity to address our ageing squad/midfielders.  Like most people here, I wrote too many words and just wanted to say FSG are skint and without Kloppo we would be absolutely shite. 

Offline DefJack

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3861 on: November 1, 2022, 10:15:49 pm »
Invaluable tactical performance from Jones tonight. Strong in possession, rock solid defensively, pressed effectively and came close to rounding off the performance with a goal/assist.

He will likely never be the explosive prospect people seemingly wish for him to be, but from a tactical perspective having a player upon whom you can rely to do all of the fundamentals effectively, whilst being physically competitive with elite players provides a plethora of tactical options; in particular when facing high quality opponents.

His quietly effective seventy minutes today provided the platform for the more explosive players to maximise their impact in the last twenty, and it shouldn't be forgotten that this was only his second start in over five months. Hopefully, with consistent time, match fitness and some sense of consistency in terms of role he can add significantly to what he already provides.

The discourse around this young man over the last few weeks has been nothing short of foolish, and frankly at times cruel; thankfully those within the club have a little more sense.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3862 on: November 1, 2022, 10:17:55 pm »
Better
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3863 on: November 1, 2022, 10:19:29 pm »
Still don't see it. Average.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3864 on: November 1, 2022, 10:19:54 pm »
Yeah, decent game from him. I think he struggled with the lack of runners around him at times though. Think he'd shine in that position with Nunez ahead of him. Brought lots of energy.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3865 on: November 1, 2022, 10:21:37 pm »
Good performance again IMO, lovely little bit of play surrounded by about 3 or 4 blue shirts, good close control then a clever flick to Milner iirc.

He's been playing at CM for a good while and you could see it early on but he grew into it. I'd keep him in the front 3 and allow him to play his natural attacking game. Him driving at opposition defences would cause major problems, he's so hard to dispossess

Offline MPowerYNWA

• Kopite
« Reply #3866 on: November 1, 2022, 10:23:57 pm »
He started to look sharper as the game went on - think people need to give him time.

Still takes too many touches though.

Offline Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3867 on: November 1, 2022, 10:24:19 pm »
He is so much more comfortable being on the left of a front 3 than anywhere in midfield, he is an attacker not a midfielder. The problem is he's never going to be good enough for a starting position in that role for an elite side. However as we have seen tonight he is an ok option when you have a load of injuries and you need someone to fill in that role and play second fiddle to your remaining elite players.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3868 on: November 1, 2022, 10:26:09 pm »
Invaluable tactical performance from Jones tonight. Strong in possession, rock solid defensively, pressed effectively and came close to rounding off the performance with a goal/assist.

He will likely never be the explosive prospect people seemingly wish for him to be, but from a tactical perspective having a player upon whom you can rely to do all of the fundamentals effectively, whilst being physically competitive with elite players provides a plethora of tactical options; in particular when facing high quality opponents.

His quietly effective seventy minutes today provided the platform for the more explosive players to maximise their impact in the last twenty, and it shouldn't be forgotten that this was only his second start in over five months. Hopefully, with consistent time, match fitness and some sense of consistency in terms of role he can add significantly to what he already provides.

The discourse around this young man over the last few weeks has been nothing short of foolish, and frankly at times cruel; thankfully those within the club have a little more sense.
Well said. Klopp's just done his post match for BT and he was beaming about Jones and his hard work, in both directions, and what that discipline provides for his teammates

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3869 on: November 1, 2022, 10:26:40 pm »
It's a tough one for him. Doesn't look like a natural fit in midfield or attack despite some obvious qualities.

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3870 on: November 1, 2022, 10:26:59 pm »
He started to look sharper as the game went on - think people need to give him time.

Still takes too many touches though.
Thought he and Ibou were our best players first half, only player who seemed able to control his first touch.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #3871 on: November 1, 2022, 10:29:23 pm »
He is so much more comfortable being on the left of a front 3 than anywhere in midfield, he is an attacker not a midfielder. The problem is he's never going to be good enough for a starting position in that role for an elite side. However as we have seen tonight he is an ok option when you have a load of injuries and you need someone to fill in that role and play second fiddle to your remaining elite players.

So he’s a decent squad option then. I don’t think anyone is suggesting he’s the future of our forward line.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #3872 on: November 1, 2022, 10:31:14 pm »
Good performance from him tonight

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3873 on: November 1, 2022, 10:36:48 pm »
He played well, wouldn't mind seeing him there with Darwin and Mo on the weekend. Was just too little pace etc with Bobby in the attack as well.

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #3874 on: November 1, 2022, 11:33:46 pm »
I thought he was much better today, the more minutes he gets the better he’ll be

Offline Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3875 on: November 1, 2022, 11:37:43 pm »
So he’s a decent squad option then. I don’t think anyone is suggesting he’s the future of our forward line.

Yeah that's about right, I think the whole Jones issue has come about because they have been trying to squeeze him into a position that's not natural to him because he will never be a starter for the front 3 and they have tried to develop him for another role. It's just not worked out because fundamentally he fits an attacking role not a midfielder.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3876 on: November 1, 2022, 11:40:51 pm »

His quietly effective seventy minutes today provided the platform for the more explosive players to maximise their impact in the last twenty, and it shouldn't be forgotten that this was only his second start in over five months. Hopefully, with consistent time, match fitness and some sense of consistency in terms of role he can add significantly to what he already provides.[/b

Well said.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3877 on: November 2, 2022, 12:27:38 am »

Getting game time half having the start/stop of 2 freaky injuries is important. He has everything talent wise to be super successful at Liverpool

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3878 on: November 2, 2022, 12:45:58 am »
It's funny that he's a forward being moulded into a midfielder because to me often looks like the opposite, a midfielder doing a job in the forward role. I think his midfield ability is still a bit underrated, he's good at dribbling and passing through players, presses hard and is somewhat difficult to dispossess. I say somewhat because while he's really good at shielding the ball and dribbling out of trouble, he also still holds on to it a bit too long which can lead to him getting surrounded.

His tackling stats are kind of a red herring too, watch him play and he's often involved in dispossessing opposition players without necessarily getting credited. I'd quite like to see him and Naby together ahead of a 6 as we'd get the kind of energy and agility that's been missing from midfield so far this season.

Offline UNO

• Kopite
« Reply #3879 on: November 2, 2022, 01:26:28 am »
A decent performance tonight but his bad habits of overplaying with the ball was still there. He was lucky that the ball wasn’t lost near our box after he hung on the ball far too long.