Author Topic: FA Cup: Wolves 2 v Liverpool 1 Jimenez ‘37 Neves ‘55 Origi ‘50  (Read 51239 times)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: FA Cup: Wolves 2 v Liverpool 1 Jimenez ‘37 Neves ‘55 Origi ‘50
« Reply #680 on: January 8, 2019, 12:00:51 am »
What difference do my awnsers make mate, you won't agree and I respect that. If we win the league or miss out whilst going toe to toe with City then you're probably right in your opinion.

I would have been happy playing Clyne in any of those games if it meant having Trent tonight. I felt Clyne was superb in the United game.

Starting a sharp Sturridge against Newcastle or Shaqiri in place of Salah instead of a CM player or Lallana was an option. I would have used Origi early in the 2nd half against Arsenal.

So how does that answer the questions bout incorporating three young players in the side when you only have 7 options on the bench? Give Klopp a ring mate.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #681 on: January 8, 2019, 12:01:18 am »
It's not difficult.

Thanks for the effort mate. I am glad it wasn't a draw myself. I was happy with the team and despite obviously never playing together competitively before managed for most of the game to contain and dominate a full strength Wolves away from home.Fair play to Milner, Fabinho, Hoever, Jones, Comacho of the starters, I thought Origi had his moments, likewise Shaq.

Cheers mate.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #682 on: January 8, 2019, 12:02:02 am »
What difference do my awnsers make mate, you won't agree and I respect that. If we win the league or miss out whilst going toe to toe with City then you're probably right in your opinion.

I would have been happy playing Clyne in any of those games if it meant having Trent tonight. I felt Clyne was superb in the United game.

Starting a sharp Sturridge against Newcastle or Shaqiri in place of Salah instead of a CM player or Lallana was an option. I would have used Origi early in the 2nd half against Arsenal.

Well i was actually in favour of Moreno (or Clyne) against Newcastle for Robertson to be fair. It's just I don't extend to wanting TAA or Salah playing in a third round FA cup tie after 9 games in December then the toughest league game of the season straight after

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #683 on: January 8, 2019, 12:02:07 am »

But we didn't and became the first side in donkeys years (maybe ever) to take maximum points from those games.

And it's cost us a place in the FA Cup, I believe it was a mistake but I respect the opinions other have.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #684 on: January 8, 2019, 12:04:47 am »
Players are far fitter now to cope with the extra pace, also we now have more subs allowed and have bigger squads. Plus I never said we won every game.The football cup calendar was harder then with  2 legged League Cup games/countless replays on occasions when required.

And as I said we played on some terrible, strength draining pitches, it's all piss easy these days, hardly any real contact allowed.

Fitter they maybe but that doesn't mean you knacker them out, they're humans not machines. Also, why exactly do we even need two cup compeitions? We're one of the few countries who do this, we have an overcrowed schedule were games are thrown in here, there and everywhere. We only need one quality cup competition. If they did that it would give managers a much better chance of actually putting out stronger sides.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #685 on: January 8, 2019, 12:05:46 am »
Should Mignolet not try to make it harder for the Wolves striker for the first goal. The player was coming at an angle so could he not come out and really put him under pressure?

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #686 on: January 8, 2019, 12:06:37 am »
Well i was actually in favour of Moreno (or Clyne) against Newcastle for Robertson to be fair. It's just I don't extend to wanting TAA or Salah playing in a third round FA cup tie after 9 games in December then the toughest league game of the season straight after

I agree they should not have played tonight, what I disagree with is that we didn't have options to rest them earlier so that at least some could have played a bigger part tonight. The combination of players tonight never gave the team a chance.

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #687 on: January 8, 2019, 12:10:48 am »
So how does that answer the questions bout incorporating three young players in the side when you only have 7 options on the bench? Give Klopp a ring mate.

The point is that we shouldn't be playing 3 teanagers who are not integrated tonight unless it's a last resort.

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #688 on: January 8, 2019, 12:14:05 am »

snip

How all of this is hard to see and understand and comprehend is beyond me, and I wanted US TO WIN TONIGHT REGARDLESS. But why is it so difficult to grasp the context of the situation?

That's a very well written and argued post. Very much my own view, too.
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #689 on: January 8, 2019, 12:16:37 am »
Fitter they maybe but that doesn't mean you knacker them out, they're humans not machines. Also, why exactly do we even need two cup compeitions? We're one of the few countries who do this, we have an overcrowed schedule were games are thrown in here, there and everywhere. We only need one quality cup competition. If they did that it would give managers a much better chance of actually putting out stronger sides.
Just on the subject of historic vs modern footballing fitness, I think I read a while back that modern footballers run about 20-25% more per game, on average, than their 70s counterparts. Anyone know if this is actually the case, or am I misremembering?

If true, that's a huge difference, and even with increased standards of fitness in the modern game it seems to me to back up the notion of rotating when we can, especially when the margins for error (ie competing against a City team that looks to be heading for 95 to 100 points) are so tight. I can understand people wanting to win every game - we all do - but if we're going to have a proper crack at the league we need to give ourselves every possible advantage we can and if that means playing a second team in the cup then I struggle to see why that's something to get worked up about.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #690 on: January 8, 2019, 12:20:29 am »
I am happy for the loss to be honest, don't give a fuck about the FA cup, it is the last thing we want on this planet. As long as we win the tile I don't give a shit whoever team win it, even United.

Wind up merchant from another fanbase. Unlucky fella... just got a bit carried away.

Offline kezzy

• Kopite
« Reply #691 on: January 8, 2019, 12:26:45 am »
Nice to see new posters coming on to slate the fuck out of our players.

The post wasn’t mine mate.  I was on my way back from the match in the back of my mates car and I fell asleep and one of my mates took my phone out and put them posts on taking the piss.  I’ve just got in now and seen them and deleted them. 

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #692 on: January 8, 2019, 12:27:42 am »
Oh, and I forgot from my pre-match thread (now locked)

In addition to the factors I listed

Strange how the FA cup has lost it's status. It still means a lot in terms of round 3 giant killing and good for whoever has the patience to go on and win it but it is nothing like what it meant to me as a kid, probably because;

* United being taken out for something more (less) important back in the day
* The reward being less than finishing 4th and the same as the LC
* Not only the big teams but also most PL clubs using it to blood reserves
* The LC being easier for the big teams because of delayed entry and an earlier start with the same ultimate reward
* Sacking Kenny when he won the LC and came 2nd in the FAC
* No real prize money

Wembley being used for the semi finals
Spurs having Wembley as their home ground

The BBC is trying to revive this cup, we didn't help tonight but Newport did yesterday.

I will spend the rest of the tournament hoping we get some minor club (whilst that term includes Everton, I exclude them) winning it. The only cup final I remember in the last few years not involving us, was Wigan.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #693 on: January 8, 2019, 12:30:14 am »
Yep. For those actually pissed off at us fielding a weakened team tonight, you need to direct your anger at the FA not the club, the manager or the players. If you want to take this competition seriously, don’t schedule the 3rd round matches at the back end of playing four league games in 9-12 days.

They need to bomb out the league cup and get the FA cup started sooner.
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Offline LFC-Dan

• one of the worst here!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #694 on: January 8, 2019, 12:33:00 am »
Not long got back. I think Klopp definitely did the right thing resting a few players tonight, it’s always good if you can give some of the younger players a chance to show what they can do, I thought all 3 did quite well considering how difficult the tie was.

Tonight definitely highlighted in some areas how far we’ve come as a team recently as a couple of years ago Moreno and Mignolet were regular first team starters and as good as it got in both positions. How times have changed and how much of a bloody relief that they have!

It’s disappointing to lose but ultimately we have bigger fish to get in terms of the league and CL and the rest when Fa Cup weekend comes along will certainly help a lot. Roll on Brighton.
Justice for the 96

Offline scotkop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #695 on: January 8, 2019, 12:36:20 am »
Anyone know what the last question was in the press conference? Couldn't make it out.

Klopp said something about it being 'self-answering'.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #696 on: January 8, 2019, 12:36:41 am »
If we could have played one of Henderson or Fabinho, as hoped pre-CB injuries, I think we'd have shown them up

Fine lines mate, fine lines.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #697 on: January 8, 2019, 12:41:44 am »
Wish we'd won, sucks we lost, but we probably dont have the depth for all three trophies so this isn't the end of the world.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #698 on: January 8, 2019, 12:41:58 am »
That was a weird game all round. Obviously Wolves deserved it, we were shite for long periods of that match. But more then that, some of our players just didn't look arsed. Fair enough for the new lads bedding in (Camacho played with energy, confidence and showed promise, and Hoever did a great job under the circumstances). But what the fuck were Origi and Sturridge doing for long periods of that? No movement whatsoever. Origi looked good in the few moments he actually put some effort in. But Sturridge?! Don't know what happened there. Think I saw him touch the ball maybe three times, and probably made a similar number of runs. Otherwise he was a ghost. Keita and Shaqiri disappeared for long periods also.

Even the initial game plan seemed kind of odd.

It was also very hard to tell what Klopp thought of it all. I didn't see any of the post-match stuff. Obviously I can see the benefits of being able to concentrate on the league. But I never like going out of a cup, especially that meekly.

« Last Edit: January 8, 2019, 12:45:43 am by Indomitable_Carp »

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #699 on: January 8, 2019, 12:48:59 am »
It was also very hard to tell what Klopp thought of it all. I didn't see any of the post-match stuff. Obviously I can see the benefits of being able to concentrate on the league. But I never like going out of a cup, especially that meekly.

"It's all my responsibility - they had no rhythm," Klopp told BBC Sport. "There were not a lot of good decisions from me - that's how the days are sometimes."

Despite Monday's defeat, Klopp said: "It's all good. Of course, we don't want to lose football games but it's nothing else.

"For us it was an unbelievably intense period, having played Arsenal and Manchester City.

"We saw after the City game four or five players got ill immediately. We tried everything and we wanted to give the boys confidence, but that didn't really work out today. We've played worse, we've played better."
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #700 on: January 8, 2019, 12:51:34 am »
After walking out of the ground tonight I can’t ever recall an occasion when we were less arsed about a defeat.  None of the what ifs, none of the feeling of missed opportunities.  Times have changed and the FA Cup has now become a backwater competition.  Sad, but whilst no team plays to lose I am sure this episode has already been filed in the archives.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #701 on: January 8, 2019, 12:53:44 am »
They need to bomb out the league cup and get the FA cup started sooner.

I agree. We only need one domestic cup competition. Why not let the smaller clubs have the league cup maybe throw in an extra place for promotion or something. Then they could move the FA Cup to a more suitable time, then maybe people will take it more seriously.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #702 on: January 8, 2019, 12:58:14 am »
The point is that we shouldn't be playing 3 teanagers who are not integrated tonight unless it's a last resort.

So tonight wasn't a last resort?

Klopp:

“I made the line-up for different reasons. After the City game we immediately had a few players who were ill, showed sore throats and all that you can have in this period of the year,” said Klopp.

Pretty much all the players not here today had little problems, apart from Alisson. We had to make late changes. Yesterday, Adam was in our plans, like Hendo. Dejan was not in the plans - he should have only been on the bench. It happened what happened. It doesn't help a lot. Then we had to change again.

“I am sure some very smart people tell me I do not respect the competition.”

t’s like this. The third round was here last year, the year before, the year before. You all want this number of games so don’t ask me if it is right or not. That’s the number of games we have to play, so far we have been very successful but today we lost, because we had to make changes. Not only that, of course, but the opponents scored two goals. That’s the story of the night.”

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #703 on: January 8, 2019, 12:59:07 am »
I was in work tonight, so I've only just watched it now. Tactically we looked all wrong, played with our full backs like we do with Robbo and TAA, except Moreno and Camacho are obviously less experienced, and more unaware of how to play like that. You'd think that might change, especially when Hoever came on.

Sturridge offered nothing, Jones I felt sorry for, but again offered nothing.

Fabinho and Hoever were fine, both had shaky moments, but I think overall coped well, so massive props to Hoever.

How on earth is Moreno a professional footballer, let alone one who was once first choice for us for numerous years? His awareness, tackling, passing is so predictably bad. He loves to attack, but can't actually attack effectively.
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Online jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #704 on: January 8, 2019, 01:00:37 am »
And it's cost us a place in the FA Cup, I believe it was a mistake but I respect the opinions other have.

Yeah

Hate going out of the FA cup early. It's a very nice cup to ride on.  Walkon.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #705 on: January 8, 2019, 01:21:03 am »

Yeah, the season is over now. Klopp out...

Offline SpionBob

• I have a signed Kenny Dalglish shirt on my wall-is that a bit gay?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • WITH JURGEN kLOPP WE WON IT 6 TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #706 on: January 8, 2019, 01:28:48 am »
Yeah, the season is over now. Klopp out...
😂😂
Public enemy number one: On the RAWK watch list for offering alternative views, supporting Rafa and abusing ill informed WUMS with dubious agendas. Where's the crime in that? Victim of self-important mod with itchy finger.

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #707 on: January 8, 2019, 01:37:14 am »
We're 4 points clear at the top of the league.

We’ve just gone out at a very early stage - again - in fact 4th year in a row - of a perfectly winnable tournament

'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #708 on: January 8, 2019, 01:38:11 am »
5 defeats in our last 6 domestic cup games.

Offline Garnier

• Legacy Fan
  • thought Brendan could tame Balotelli
« Reply #709 on: January 8, 2019, 01:43:48 am »
3 Points against Brighton and tonight's defeat will start to fade away from memory.

The change is cast

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #710 on: January 8, 2019, 01:45:32 am »
5 defeats in our last 6 domestic cup games.
Every year in the FA Cup, Klopp's been knocked out by a team beginning with the letter W.

It's unacceptable.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline JonnyCigarettes®

• Airfix salesman (rumoured to be training a secret wankfest monkey arsegravy army)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty fly for a white guy
« Reply #711 on: January 8, 2019, 01:58:56 am »
On 18/1/2005, Djimi Traoré Cruyff turned the ball into his own net against Burnley.  Press and supporters turned on Benitez, accusing him of disrespecting the competition etc.

I'd like to think that they were all deeply apologetic four months later, but I doubt it.
Johnny Sack: 200 grand for insulting my wife. What's next, Carmine, he gets to fuck her for a million?

Carmine: He wants to fuck her?

Johnny Sack: I'm making a point.

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #712 on: January 8, 2019, 02:08:41 am »
I would agree all the time in the world to prepare for those games in the league and the Champions League now. Hopefully City will suffer the other extreme.

They’ve got a strong enough squad to cope
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #713 on: January 8, 2019, 02:12:35 am »
We’ve just gone out at a very early stage - again - in fact 4th year in a row - of a perfectly winnable tournament

And what now? We also made it two European Cup finals in three years. The last time we were in a domestic cup final, we were dead on our feet for two months due to fixtures and injuries and that was without European football to contend with.

We played a full strength side against West Brom and lost at Anfield last year.

Kenny won the League cup and got in the FA cup final and was sacked.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #714 on: January 8, 2019, 02:18:24 am »
They’ve got a strong enough squad to cope

If that's the case how did they manage to lose two league games recently? Get injuries even City will struggle.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #715 on: January 8, 2019, 02:38:44 am »
Madness.

Ok . Blah blah and all that but why do we need to rest our goalie ?

We are out the cup again against a shit team in January . I understand the whole less games to play and all that but fuckin ' ell.

He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #716 on: January 8, 2019, 02:44:46 am »
Madness.

Ok . Blah blah and all that but why do we need to rest our goalie ?

We are out the cup again against a shit team in January . I understand the whole less games to play and all that but fuckin ' ell.

Because he's played in every game bar 1 this season.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #717 on: January 8, 2019, 02:45:07 am »
In other news, hopefully we use this aspect as an advantage:

The Reds will now have two free weekends in January in February while other clubs take part in the fourth and fifth round of the FA Cup.

The fourth round takes place on the weekend of Saturday, 26 January and the fifth round three weeks later on February 16/17.

That will mean Liverpool have a full 10 day break ahead of their Champions League tie against Bayern Munich at Anfield on February 19.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #718 on: January 8, 2019, 02:45:57 am »
The FA Cup is a chance for the players who are not playing as much and the younger players to make their mark and impress the coaching staff so as to be considered for the first team for the really important matches. Other than that, it is a distraction from what really matters at this time which is the EPL and Champions League. Of course we are not happy to lose any match and to crash out of any cup competition, but I am sure we will all agree that if we can win the EPL or Champions League this season, the FA Cup is worth sacrificing. A benefit of not being forced to play those games is longer rest time for the first team and conservation of strength and energy whereas our top competitiors for the EPL are still in the FA Cup.

Offline GucciMane

• Anny Roader
« Reply #719 on: January 8, 2019, 02:49:12 am »
Camacho and Curtis Jones are further along in development then Hoover.