Author Topic: FA Cup: Wolves 2 v Liverpool 1 Jimenez ‘37 Neves ‘55 Origi ‘50  (Read 51234 times)

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
Re: FA Cup: Wolves 2 v Liverpool 1 Jimenez ‘37 Neves ‘55 Origi ‘50
« Reply #720 on: January 8, 2019, 02:53:46 am »
I was in work tonight, so I've only just watched it now. Tactically we looked all wrong, played with our full backs like we do with Robbo and TAA, except Moreno and Camacho are obviously less experienced, and more unaware of how to play like that. You'd think that might change, especially when Hoever came on.

Sturridge offered nothing, Jones I felt sorry for, but again offered nothing.

Fabinho and Hoever were fine, both had shaky moments, but I think overall coped well, so massive props to Hoever.

How on earth is Moreno a professional footballer, let alone one who was once first choice for us for numerous years? His awareness, tackling, passing is so predictably bad. He loves to attack, but can't actually attack effectively.

Moreno is a perfect example of some truths that people in the game rarely want to admit.

1) Speed is king. If you are quick and can repeat sprints for 90 minutes, then even an average amount of technique won't be a detriment to you as a player with ambitions of being a pro

2) You can't improve players much past a certain age and level, because the time isn't there to devote to individual training.

He's a game lad, but he's hit his level and his level is unfortunately below what's now needed in our fullbacks.

Not even joking with this, he'd probably be decent left back under Hodgson
Better looking than Samie.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #721 on: January 8, 2019, 03:08:08 am »
Because he's played in every game bar 1 this season.

Like a goalie needs a fuckin rest like.

He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Kansti

• Legacy Fan
  • Stargazer
« Reply #722 on: January 8, 2019, 03:08:13 am »
That was pretty bad. Milner, Moreno and Sturridge were horrific. Was a pity couldn't see more of what Camacha can do. Jones didn't do himself any favours as well. There was zero tempo in our play, and I thought Shaqiri would be up for it to really conduct the game for us, but he was pretty poor too, he did much better when Firmino and Salah came on. How about that dribble from Hoever though!

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #723 on: January 8, 2019, 03:14:05 am »
Like a goalie needs a fuckin rest like.

If you can't play your bloody back up keeper in a 3rd round game then when the hell can you during the course of the season? The last thing we need is a bloody injury to him in an FA cup match, because I certainly don' want to see Mignolet as our keeper for the remainder of the season do you?

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #724 on: January 8, 2019, 03:42:47 am »
Alisson saves that Neves shot. It was good to almost have a reminder of how poor Migs' positioning is given the number of similar goals we used to concede previously just so that we can appreciate Alisson more.

to be honest, I can't be fucked about the game although the result was annoying. Clearly, we need some better depth and several of the senior players that started are unlikely to stay here much longer. We really need to replace those players with top quality as that is the only way we can compete consistently with the big teams on multiple fronts.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline kloppismydad

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #725 on: January 8, 2019, 04:08:13 am »
That will mean Liverpool have a full 10 day break ahead of their Champions League tie against Bayern Munich at Anfield on February 19.

I was going to be annoyed with the result but this puts the result perfectly into perspective. I'd rather us have a 10 day rest before Bayern and focus on that match, instead of preparing for a trip away to Spurs or whoever.

Only slight worry is 2 consecutive defeats. I realise we played a backup team but losing is never good, and especially not when we have been in rich vein of form previously. Look forward to seeing our fully fit team against Brighton and picking up 3 points there.
Mark my words. Top 8 will be a massive struggle.
We won't make any big signings this season and we will go back to being a top4 club.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #726 on: January 8, 2019, 04:31:17 am »
If you can't play your bloody back up keeper in a 3rd round game then when the hell can you during the course of the season? The last thing we need is a bloody injury to him in an FA cup match, because I certainly don' want to see Mignolet as our keeper for the remainder of the season do you?

So Klopp says to himself Iam playing Mignolet tonight just incase Allison gets injured. Yeah. Go'ead.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #727 on: January 8, 2019, 04:34:47 am »
So Klopp says to himself Iam playing Mignolet tonight just incase Allison gets injured. Yeah. Go'ead.

I am not really arsed what Klopp says to himself and what his reasons were, ultimately we weren't good enough on the night to get a win. Alisson or no Alisson.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #728 on: January 8, 2019, 04:49:36 am »
Do we not want to win the FA Cup? Of course we do if we can. However, no denying that the glitter of tha FA Cup in 2019 is not the same as it was in 1965.

We’ve been getting lousy draws in the cup since Klopp came on board. Rotherham home or Lincoln home or Reading home would have been nice. Wolves away was definitely not.

That team was good enough to compete with Wolves but certainly not as well oiled or as strong as our regular XI. We lost but with a few silver linings. Disappointing but more so because it would have been an outlet for our fringe players to get playing time. Having said that people sometimes forget that our coaching team may also need a bit of a breather

Onwards and upwards. We can now be fully focused on The League and the Champions League. Win one of those, this loss will just be a stat
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #729 on: January 8, 2019, 05:37:13 am »
Disappointed we are out, we need to win something.

Can understand the changes but it shows our lack of squad depth, playing players like Moreno who looks like he doesn't want to be here,
Yo8ng Camacho doesn't look like a right back but some of our more senior players were poor last night.

Just hope we haven't lost some momentum going into the next game.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #730 on: January 8, 2019, 05:39:33 am »
I am happy for the loss to be honest, don't give a fuck about the FA cup, it is the last thing we want on this planet. As long as we win the tile I don't give a shit whoever team win it, even United.

A what if we don't win the league? What if we don't win anything now?

Fucking pisses me off this attitude. One fucking trophy in 13 years and fans can't be arsed with the FA Cup. :butt

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #731 on: January 8, 2019, 05:44:06 am »
I wish Mignolet went on loan instead of Grabara. Mignolet shouldn't be our second choice GK. He's still a Sunderland goalkeeper.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #732 on: January 8, 2019, 05:45:15 am »

Fucking pisses me off this attitude. One fucking trophy in 13 years and fans can't be arsed with the FA Cup. :butt

I know it's crazy.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #733 on: January 8, 2019, 05:47:08 am »
Alisson saves that Neves shot. It was good to almost have a reminder of how poor Migs' positioning is given the number of similar goals we used to concede previously just so that we can appreciate Alisson more.

Yep. I agree. Everyone buzzing what a great strike it was. I say it was poor goalkeeping. Massive gap at his near post to aim for, plus he was completely flat-footed as well. It was poor from Mignolet. A good keeper saves that.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #734 on: January 8, 2019, 05:50:48 am »
I know it's crazy.

Winning the FA Cup is the last thing we want on this planet apparently. ::)
« Last Edit: January 8, 2019, 05:53:39 am by Solomon Grundy »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #735 on: January 8, 2019, 05:53:16 am »
Winning the FA Cup is the last thing we need on this planet apparently. ::)

What should we have done for this game?

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #736 on: January 8, 2019, 05:56:59 am »
What should we have done for this game?

Took it more seriously. Played a few more first-teamers. And before you say - "what if they got injured?". A player could get injured at any point in the season, whether they've played a lot of games or not. They can even get injured outside of training.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #737 on: January 8, 2019, 06:00:05 am »
Yep. I agree. Everyone buzzing what a great strike it was. I say it was poor goalkeeping. Massive gap at his near post to aim for, plus he was completely flat-footed as well. It was poor from Mignolet. A good keeper saves that.

Maybe it is recency bias, but I can’t remember the last time I said to myself, “wow Migs stole that game for us”. Certanly can with Alisson in his short time that he’s been here.

However, on the flip side, Migs never had the benefit of VVD playing in front of him.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #738 on: January 8, 2019, 06:01:12 am »
Took it more seriously. Played a few more first-teamers. And before you say - "what if they got injured?". A player could get injured at any point in the season, whether they've played a lot of games or not. They can even get injured outside of training.

Not how accumulated fatigue and injuries work, and because of the intensity weve played it's a major reason why we didnt. It's how you ensure that you don't burn out in the upcoming weeks of the season to come in a already difficult league.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #739 on: January 8, 2019, 06:02:37 am »

Who needs context when you can make a generalizing statement.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #740 on: January 8, 2019, 06:04:37 am »

But that is the whole point of prioritisation isnt it? Whatever you think and whatever anyone says, the FA Cup isnt as important as the League and CL. It hasnt been in most of my lifetime and never will be.

We came off an intense period of games and we clearly needed to rest players. We have seen Klopp do that in the league as well against Burnley.

Also lets not forget that players can get injured as a result of too many games. That is a thing.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #741 on: January 8, 2019, 06:04:41 am »
Not how accumulated fatigue and injuries work, and because of the intensity weve played it's a major reason why we didnt. It's how you ensure that you don't burn out in the upcoming weeks of the season to come in a already difficult league.

I'm sorry mate, but I hear this sort of thing on here every season and every season we end up empty-handed. And I'm sick of it...I thought we had a squad to cope with 3-4 competitions now? That's what I kept getting told on here anyway. What's happened there then?

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #742 on: January 8, 2019, 06:06:58 am »
I'm sorry mate, but I hear this sort of thing on here every season and every season we end up empty-handed. And I'm sick of it...I thought we had a squad to cope with 3-4 competitions now? That's what I kept getting told on here anyway. What's happened there then?

If anything thats the thing we have learnt the most. I believe the squad clearly is another quality attacking option light and personally I think if you add that and a couple of centrebacks then we dont lose that game.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #743 on: January 8, 2019, 06:07:47 am »
I'm sorry mate, but I hear this sort of every season and every season we end up empty-handed. And I'm sick of it...I thought we had a squad to cope with 3-4 competitions now? That's what I kept getting told on here anyway. What happened there then?

The same posters on here who told everyone that we now have a squad to cope with 3-4 competitions will then just revert and say "But we don't have the squad depth" and "But, but... Manchester City!" when we're knocked out or out of the running in 2-3 of those competitions.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #744 on: January 8, 2019, 06:09:09 am »
But that is the whole point of prioritisation isnt it? Whatever you think and whatever anyone says, the FA Cup isnt as important as the League and CL. It hasnt been in most of my lifetime and never will be.

We came off an intense period of games and we clearly needed to rest players. We have seen Klopp do that in the league as well against Burnley.

At the start of the season, we're being told we now have a squad strong enough, big enough to compete in 4 competitions. Now people are saying we haven't. I'm sorry but I've heard this sort of stuff so many years now and we always end up empty-handed.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #745 on: January 8, 2019, 06:10:21 am »
The same posters on here who told everyone that we now have a squad to cope with 3-4 competitions will then just revert and say "But we don't have the squad depth" and "But, but... Manchester City!" when we're knocked out or out of the running in 2-3 of those competitions.

To be fair, we didnt have any senior centrebacks and we still gave a close to fully strength Wolves, a good side, a game. Are we saying we need to be having 5th, 6th choice centrebacks that can beat decent PL sides?

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #746 on: January 8, 2019, 06:10:33 am »

That is what's starting to happen.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #747 on: January 8, 2019, 06:11:33 am »
If there's one silver lining out of this loss, it's that it gave me the impetus to re-listen to the La's album again.

No bad thing.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #748 on: January 8, 2019, 06:12:09 am »

At the start of the season, we're being told we now have a squad strong enough, big enough to compete in 4 competitions. Now people are saying we haven't. I'm sorry but I've heard this sort of stuff so many years now and we always end up empty-handed.

How many teams are we supposed to have that can beat good PL sides who are close to full strength at their place?

Maybe we are one or two players short. But if we are then all the more reason we shouldnt risk our top lads then because if we lose them then we are fucked.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #749 on: January 8, 2019, 06:14:38 am »
If anything thats the thing we have learnt the most. I believe the squad clearly is another quality attacking option light and personally I think if you add that and a couple of centrebacks then we dont lose that game.

You're not saying anything different that I haven't heard in previous seasons here.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #750 on: January 8, 2019, 06:17:18 am »
To be fair, we didnt have any senior centrebacks and we still gave a close to fully strength Wolves, a good side, a game. Are we saying we need to be having 5th, 6th choice centrebacks that can beat decent PL sides?

Well, the CB is a unique situation in and of itself because two of those CB's - Lovren and Matip - are prone to getting picking up injuries and we knew that. Lovren was even out during the beginning of the season, so maybe going in with only 4 wasn't very wise in hindsight. But perhaps we shouldn't have made nearly 11 changes? Yes, I know. You'll say "What if Virgil played and got injured?" or Robertson, or Alisson, etc. But they might get injured in training tomorrow. We'll never know. It's a weird situation really. I'm not really that upset that we've flogged the FA Cup seeing as we're in a title race this season, but that's now 4 years in a row where we've either exited at the first time of asking or the next round. You'd think that after a few seasons we'd progress a little more.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #751 on: January 8, 2019, 06:17:28 am »
But if we are then all the more reason we shouldnt risk our top lads then because if we lose them then we are fucked.

If we win the league this opinion will be justified. But if we end up empty-handed again I don't want to see you or anyone else on here come out with this sort of opinion again.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #752 on: January 8, 2019, 06:17:52 am »
You're not saying anything different that I haven't heard in previous seasons here.

Well we are not Man City. How many top players are we supposed to have that can beat good PL sides? Lets not forget we had injuries as well.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #753 on: January 8, 2019, 06:20:07 am »
How many teams are we supposed to have that can beat good PL sides who are close to full strength at their place?

Maybe we are one or two players short. But if we are then all the more reason we shouldnt risk our top lads then because if we lose them then we are fucked.

I don't think we are one or two players short. I just think we have couple of wrong players, not suited for Klopp's style. Maybe trade them with more suited, not necessarily better. That one is on Klopp, he should have addressed that already.
« Last Edit: January 8, 2019, 06:22:24 am by Rick-40 »
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #754 on: January 8, 2019, 06:21:18 am »
Well, the CB is a unique situation in and of itself because two of those CB's - Lovren and Matip - are prone to getting picking up injuries and we knew that. Lovren was even out during the beginning of the season, so maybe going in with only 4 wasn't very wise in hindsight. But perhaps we shouldn't have made nearly 11 changes? Yes, I know. You'll say "What if Virgil played and got injured?" or Robertson, or Alisson, etc. But they might get injured in training tomorrow. We'll never know. It's a weird situation really. I'm not really that upset that we've flogged the FA Cup seeing as we're in a title race this season, but that's now 4 years in a row where we've either exited at the first time of asking or the next round. You'd think that after a few seasons we'd progress a little more.

Accumulated fatigue is a thing. Nearly all the top sides rotated. We rotated even in the league against Burnley.

We cannot take the risk and that is the main fact about it. Sometimes we have to take a risk if its the CL or the league but I am sorry but we cannot in the FA Cup.

Offline Caligula?

• Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #755 on: January 8, 2019, 06:21:18 am »
Well we are not Man City. How many top players are we supposed to have that can beat good PL sides? Lets not forget we had injuries as well.

We're not Man City is just a cop-out.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #756 on: January 8, 2019, 06:24:36 am »
I don't think we are one of two players short. I just think we have couple of wrong players, not suited for Klopp's style. Maybe trade them with more suited, not necessarily better. That one is on Klopp, he should have addressed that already.

Maybe but we have done that. Lets not forget that the likes of Mignolet, Moreno, Matip, Lallana etc. have dropped out the side.

We were missing Matip, Gomez, Lallana as well as the regular lads. I am not really sure how many sides we need that can twat Wolves at their place.

If we had lost to Rotherham at home we could say the club needs more squad players. But we lost to a good PL team at their place.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #757 on: January 8, 2019, 06:26:21 am »
We're not Man City is just a cop-out.

Ok please tell me are you saying we need 25 players who no matter who we play in whatever competition we should be beating a good PL side?

No squad is perfect. Look at City with Fernandinho.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #758 on: January 8, 2019, 06:26:33 am »

Formulate your own opinion instead of listening to what it said on here mate, you're more than sensible to do that.

- Depth is dependent upon injuries.
- There is a difference between having depth to compete on two fronts [League and Europe] and being able to compete in 4 different competitions. 

If you want a better look of what we can do rotation wise when we have a fully fit squad then look back to the game against Chelsea in the league cup. For instance if we had the ability to do so,we would have 3 other centerbacks to choose from for this match rather than a makeshift partnership between Fabinho and a 16 year old. The fact that Lovren wasn't even supposed to start exemplifies how injuries have impacted us in recent weeks.

A fit Gomez allows you to replace Trent more adequately [Camcho didn't do a bad job, and Klopp let Clyne go for the reasons he stated], along with an actual centerback partnership to go along with Moreno and Mignolet.

Perhaps instead of Jones tonight, Lallana would have played, and Milner would have been a rightback or we line up different in midfield with Henderson as well. Sturridge started and played against better opposition than Wolves this seasons and managed to perform well and contribute [Chelsea x2,PSG for example]. Origi has contributed recently against Everton obviously and Burnley, so it's not beyond the pale that he started against Wolves.

So injuries alone prevent you from fielding your best possible second starting XI or a stronger XI than we did in this game.

That's not taking into consideration that

1. We've just had what 8 or 9 games in December?
2. Are sitting in a unique position and have Bayern to come in a months time and that's an issue of it's own.

You want us to win, fuck everyone want's us to win, who doesn't want us to win as Liverpool supporters. However I saw this same football club field it's strongest side last year at Anfield against West Brom and get smacked 3-2, 3-1 within the first 20 minutes. So there are no guarantees in football what so ever.

We got the hard end of the stick with a shit draw in comparison to what other sides got. [in both the league cup and the FA cup].

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #759 on: January 8, 2019, 06:29:06 am »
Part of the reason the FA cup is irrelevant nowadays is that the top teams don't field their best players, so last night was just another nail in that coffin. It doesn't have any prestige anymore. Can't be arsed though, there are way too many games and FA has done nothing to make the cup more attractive. The injury on Lovren just proves Klopp right in using the squad players.