Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1428571 times)

Offline Paragon

• of Virtue. David N'Gog's biggest fan, why did we sell?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Chasing the Title, The Pack Chasing Us
« Reply #3640 on: January 30, 2019, 12:00:11 pm »
Just been in the National Football Museum in Manchester and was going to get a picture of the Premier League trophy but decided against it to not tempt fate.

I'm not normally a superstitious person either. Oh, and was v disappointed by the museum.

Ditto!

I visited a couple of months back and the steward asked if I'd like a photo with the trophy. I told him it wouldn't be appropriate.
Would be even more fun if you could stand up to a hook to the jaw for being a snidey bastard. But then that's reality! No one needs to 'swim or drown' in a coward's paradise.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #3641 on: January 30, 2019, 12:03:03 pm »
Almost, first went up when we scored in the last minute against Fulham on the 12th of February.

My memories going. Was at that game and thought it was in December.
Though I have mentally erased that season anyway.

Offline Advil

• The Pain in Houllier's Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kopite Family
« Reply #3642 on: January 30, 2019, 12:03:30 pm »
Yeah, I think Klopp would shoot that down straight away.

13/14 was very different. It started as a joke (maybe TAW), then turned into 'BELIEVE!' and then at one stage almost everyone was convinced. Think there will be lessons learned from that.

I learned my lesson. Even if we are 15 points with 5 matches to go, I will not be celebrating as we could still lose the title by goal diff.
None but a noble man treats women in an honorable manner, and none but an ignorant man treats women disgracefully.
-Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3643 on: January 30, 2019, 12:07:28 pm »
Funny somebody mentioned hotel rooms being booked up as my husband asked if I'd checked them last night.

To put this into context, I've just turned 59 and have been planning many "things" I'd like to do in my 60th year. 

So far it's a couple of festivals, one of which I'll be djing at, walking a marathon for charity, holidaying abroad for the first time in nearly 20yrs and last night I told Paul I want to be in Liverpool if we make it.

Now we don't need accommodation as I have plenty of family over there to stay with but in any case how the hell do people know the date it'll happen!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Online BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #3644 on: January 30, 2019, 12:09:41 pm »
Funny somebody mentioned hotel rooms being booked up as my husband asked if I'd checked them last night.

To put this into context, I've just turned 59 and have been planning many "things" I'd like to do in my 60th year. 

So far it's a couple of festivals, one of which I'll be djing at, walking a marathon for charity, holidaying abroad for the first time in nearly 20yrs and last night I told Paul I want to be in Liverpool if we make it.

Now we don't need accommodation as I have plenty of family over there to stay with but in any case how the hell do people know the date it'll happen!!

I think most are basing it on the day Jordan gets his hands on the shiny thing with the potential bus parade the next day. Unless of course we’re still in Europe.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3645 on: January 30, 2019, 12:13:31 pm »
I think most are basing it on the day Jordan gets his hands on the shiny thing with the potential bus parade the next day. Unless of course we’re still in Europe.
But that could be in April, it won't necessarily go to the final game.

I get the bus bit might be later especially if we've got European games still to play but I'm talking about when it's confirmed.

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3646 on: January 30, 2019, 12:15:15 pm »

We won't be presented with the actual trophy till the final game though, I think. *if we win it*
Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

Online Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3647 on: January 30, 2019, 12:17:35 pm »
Stating the obvious but it is just one game at a time.

They always say a solid defence wins titles and we've been ahead all season. What we lack is experience of getting over the line and more recently a perception of chokers and as fans a lot us start to doubt that we can do it and its up to us to enjoy it and believe we can do this.

Offline mattybeard

• Chicken Fondler. Group hug? Anyone?
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #3648 on: January 30, 2019, 12:17:35 pm »
Playing with some stats this morning and getting carried away but it's fun to share.

City have got an average of 2.33 points per game so far this season, we have 2.6ppg. If we dropped to 2.2 (which is 11 wins from 15) and City somehow increased to 2.5ppg, we would still win the league with 93 points against their 91.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3649 on: January 30, 2019, 12:17:40 pm »
We won't be presented with the actual trophy till the final game though, I think.
Really?  Ok that changes things then.

It's been that long since I've taken notice I just assumed it was presented when it was won.

Fancy having to wait weeks to get your hands on it!!

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #3650 on: January 30, 2019, 12:19:16 pm »
Really?  Ok that changes things then.

It's been that long since I've taken notice I just assumed it was presented when it was won.

Fancy having to wait weeks to get your hands on it!!

We were discussing this the other day and I'm fairly certain City were presented the trophy on the last day last season when obviously they won it with games to spare.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3651 on: January 30, 2019, 12:25:11 pm »
We were discussing this the other day and I'm fairly certain City were presented the trophy on the last day last season when obviously they won it with games to spare.
[emoji106]

Offline Larse

• Kopite
« Reply #3652 on: January 30, 2019, 12:31:48 pm »
Loved that game yesterday. City supporters singing Kevin De Bruynes name after he avoided that second yellow card and then just a few minutes later they concede the 1-1 was probably. Turned of the TV twice during the game because I thought it was done, right after the 1-0 and after the 2-0 that was correctly not given. Newcastle played a really good game of football and I loved how they used their pressing to win the ball for their second goal.

This also showed that city will not win every game from here on, even if they win their next set of games.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #3653 on: January 30, 2019, 12:32:08 pm »
Stating the obvious but it is just one game at a time.

They always say a solid defence wins titles and we've been ahead all season. What we lack is experience of getting over the line and more recently a perception of chokers and as fans a lot us start to doubt that we can do it and its up to us to enjoy it and believe we can do this.

Not to be an ass, but everything in this post is slightly more myth than fact :D

An outstanding attack is more useful than a solid defence in winning titles

And we can actually put out a starting 11 that have all won leagues (with a slight bit of jiggery pokery with positions)

A solid defence does help though

And as a collection of players, we haven't yet experienced the winning of a title together

But they will :D

Better looking than Samie.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3654 on: January 30, 2019, 12:55:45 pm »

They were away at Southampton last game, think they would have been presented it at their last home game?

Offline rushie9

• Kopite
  • FAN FAN
« Reply #3655 on: January 30, 2019, 01:10:48 pm »
we will drop some points at some stage for sure..just wish we can build the cushion when we can.. surely too they will drop their too
FAN= with one eye open to see all the goodies of a player, with the other eye and ear shut....

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #3656 on: January 30, 2019, 01:16:46 pm »
At the moment I am just hoping we can keep our first 11 as fit as possible....and so any injuries will have less and less impact on our season...having the main lads fit will give us the best chance to win anything

Just had a bit of a defensive nightmare (which we're not completely out the woods on), so really want them back and settled into a tight unit again with the business end of the season coming up
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3657 on: January 30, 2019, 01:22:41 pm »
Loved that game yesterday. City supporters singing Kevin De Bruynes name after he avoided that second yellow card and then just a few minutes later they concede the 1-1 was probably. Turned of the TV twice during the game because I thought it was done, right after the 1-0 and after the 2-0 that was correctly not given. Newcastle played a really good game of football and I loved how they used their pressing to win the ball for their second goal.

This also showed that city will not win every game from here on, even if they win their next set of games.

Don’t agree with your last sentence. Yes they have to go some to do that. But it isn’t impossible. Yesterday’s game for them is gone. Every game is different
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline rushie9

• Kopite
  • FAN FAN
« Reply #3658 on: January 30, 2019, 01:25:45 pm »
longer MC stay at every competition.... more chances they will drop pt...yes.mu can criticise they hv a bigger squad but still..
FAN= with one eye open to see all the goodies of a player, with the other eye and ear shut....

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3659 on: January 30, 2019, 01:27:01 pm »
we will drop some points at some stage for sure..just wish we can build the cushion when we can.. surely too they will drop their too

We certainly will drop points at some stage and, it's likely City will do again too. We just need to make sure we don't drop more than they do. Win tonight and we can afford ourselves a slip-up somewhere along the line which we'll hopefully be able to deal with.

It feels different this time; previous title challenges have been purely on emotion and passion. This time feels much more professional. We may or may not end up having a massive party in May but the past few months have shown this squad is different to anything we've had in a long time in terms of attitude and application.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3660 on: January 30, 2019, 01:27:30 pm »
Not to be an ass, but everything in this post is slightly more myth than fact :D

An outstanding attack is more useful than a solid defence in winning titles

And we can actually put out a starting 11 that have all won leagues (with a slight bit of jiggery pokery with positions)

A solid defence does help though

And as a collection of players, we haven't yet experienced the winning of a title together

But they will :D
I've seen the analysis on title winners and a goal equating to a point but what that doesn't do is account for the spread of goals over various games which is where the solid defence helps.
Over recent seasons we have arguably done enough to win games by scoring 1 or especially 2, but then conceding a couple of daft ones, whereas a title winner with a solid defence takes the 1-0 or 2-0.

Offline Ski

• daddle. Wouldn't recognise an idea, if it rang his doorbell and got invited in for dinner. He will survive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3661 on: January 30, 2019, 01:45:06 pm »
To my mind nothing has changed. 3pts tonight is the only thing I’m concerned with. Come on Redmen!!
Has Steven Gerrard scored a goal even more important than the one he got against Olympiakos - Is this the start of something BIG?

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3662 on: January 30, 2019, 02:06:15 pm »
I'm as giddy as a schoolgirl on hippy crack, 6 more fucking hours come onnnn
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
  • Yer Ma wears army boots
« Reply #3663 on: January 30, 2019, 02:09:34 pm »
Different kind of pressure tonight.

After City's defeat, we've got to show we can go out there and capitalize.

We've just got to play our usual game and we should win.
11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #3664 on: January 30, 2019, 02:12:55 pm »

I get the bus bit might be later especially if we've got European games still to play but I'm talking about when it's confirmed.

There are a lot of sites now where you can book rooms without paying for them. So I would imagine people are doing that - perhaps booking up every weekend towards the end of the season where we have a home game. Some of them you can cancel with just 48hrs notice without being charged, so as long as people can cancel them in time then they are sorted.

Would imagine some chancers would probably even book multiple up and try and sell them on for a higher fee knowing the demand would be high.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #3665 on: January 30, 2019, 02:33:54 pm »
Let's just hope this break doesn't have any serious consequences tonight.
I want to us playing like a team that's rejuvenated instead of a team that looks like they've had a long rest.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3666 on: January 30, 2019, 02:35:55 pm »
There are a lot of sites now where you can book rooms without paying for them. So I would imagine people are doing that - perhaps booking up every weekend towards the end of the season where we have a home game. Some of them you can cancel with just 48hrs notice without being charged, so as long as people can cancel them in time then they are sorted.

Would imagine some chancers would probably even book multiple up and try and sell them on for a higher fee knowing the demand would be high.
Thats true.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #3667 on: January 30, 2019, 02:53:19 pm »
The only thing that pisses me off (but only a little bit) about this challenge is that *IF* we do the unthinkable, it will immediately be written off by both the press and opposition fans as "Congratulations, you're as successful as Leicester." (Some fans are already saying it in preparation).

But let's just look at this realistically - Leicester had zero opposition from any of the big clubs that year.

To put it in perspective, we could lose 8 of our last 15 games and still equal their league-winning points total of 81.

Does anyone think that 81 would get us anywhere near the title this year?
I certainly don't.

Anyway - Moan over.  Fuck it.
Let's just concentrate on Leicester tonight and see where the next 15 games takes us.

Allez, Allez, Allez.

Leicester have won the league 19 times?
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Pie Eyed

• More like Eagle Eyed! Looking to sub Lfsea.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3668 on: January 30, 2019, 03:14:32 pm »
Leicester have won the league 19 times?

That's the point.

These fuckers all want to forget that football actually existed prior to th inception of the Premier League.

It's just their own way of belittling any of our achievements (similar to the old "How many cups in the last 10 years" stuff).

My point still stands though - Leicester won it with a points tally that might not even guarantee top 4 this year (81).

*IF* we do this, we will most definitely be doing it the hard way, and whether we finish first or second, our points total will most likely beat the winning totals of at least 18 of the past 26 year's PL winners (only 8 of 26 have finished on 90+)
Jürgen Klopp (26 June 2020)
"We were good 4 years ago.  We were really good 3 years ago.  We were unbelievably good last year.  And this year it is absolutely exceptional.  Second to none that I know."

King Kenny to Jürgen (25 June 2020):
"I think your Da' must've been on our side during the war, because you seem like a scouser to me." :D

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3669 on: January 30, 2019, 03:21:27 pm »
I learned my lesson. Even if we are 15 points with 5 matches to go, I will not be celebrating as we could still lose the title by goal diff.

Speak for yourself. If we are 15 points ahead with 5 games left then the celebrations will have started. Probably even before.

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3670 on: January 30, 2019, 03:26:47 pm »
That's the point.

These fuckers all want to forget that football actually existed prior to th inception of the Premier League.

It's just their own way of belittling any of our achievements (similar to the old "How many cups in the last 10 years" stuff).

My point still stands though - Leicester won it with a points tally that might not even guarantee top 4 this year (81).

*IF* we do this, we will most definitely be doing it the hard way, and whether we finish first or second, our points total will most likely beat the winning totals of at least 18 of the past 26 year's PL winners (only 8 of 26 have finished on 90+)

Honestly mate, who cares.

I’m not trying to be dismissive, but what some oik on Twitter makes of our success, or lack of it, is about as far away from the forefront of my mind as it’s possible to be.

Offline Pie Eyed

• More like Eagle Eyed! Looking to sub Lfsea.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3671 on: January 30, 2019, 03:29:39 pm »
Honestly mate, who cares.

I’m not trying to be dismissive, but what some oik on Twitter makes of our success, or lack of it, is about as far away from the forefront of my mind as it’s possible to be.

Please - Feel free to be as dismissive as you want.

I just need somewhere to vent, being surrounded by Untied "fans" at work, and even having the misfortune/stupidity to have married one over 20 years ago.

Can you imagine how football conversations go in my house?  I hadn't even MET her when we last won (we met in 1991).

;D ;D ;D
Jürgen Klopp (26 June 2020)
"We were good 4 years ago.  We were really good 3 years ago.  We were unbelievably good last year.  And this year it is absolutely exceptional.  Second to none that I know."

King Kenny to Jürgen (25 June 2020):
"I think your Da' must've been on our side during the war, because you seem like a scouser to me." :D

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3672 on: January 30, 2019, 03:30:52 pm »
When the Mancs sing about how many league titles they've won, they don't say they won the league only 13 times!

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #3673 on: January 30, 2019, 03:31:07 pm »
I'm as giddy as a schoolgirl on hippy crack, 6 more fucking hours come onnnn

But you are a schoolgirl on hippy crack !
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline dirks digglers

• Kopite
« Reply #3674 on: January 30, 2019, 03:41:55 pm »
Two things we've done really well this season (as opposed to almost every season I can remember for two decades) are close out games when we are a goal up and come back to win or draw when we have gone behind. This really builds huge positivity and confidence. It has always been us scoring a late goal to win or save a game (Eve/Chelsea) or we have come back from conceding first to win (Arsenal @ home/Palace). There's a euphoria and feelgood factor that goes with that. There have been very few occasions where it's felt like we dropped points from a good position (Arse away/City away). Nothing is worse than repeatedly letting slip a winning position or dominating a game when behind without finding an end product and carving out a result. By contrast City have now lost from ahead three times in recent times. That's demoralising.

If you can’t understand it without an explanation, you can’t understand it with an explanation.

Offline Paragon

• of Virtue. David N'Gog's biggest fan, why did we sell?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3675 on: January 30, 2019, 03:42:14 pm »
When the Mancs sing about how many league titles they've won, they don't say they won the league only 13 times!

In May 2011, they jumped from "11 times" to "19 times". If we catch them again, you can bet they'll go back to "13 times".
Would be even more fun if you could stand up to a hook to the jaw for being a snidey bastard. But then that's reality! No one needs to 'swim or drown' in a coward's paradise.

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3676 on: January 30, 2019, 03:47:07 pm »
Please - Feel free to be as dismissive as you want.

I just need somewhere to vent, being surrounded by Untied "fans" at work, and even having the misfortune/stupidity to have married one over 20 years ago.

Can you imagine how football conversations go in my house?  I hadn't even MET her when we last won (we met in 1991).

;D ;D ;D

Let them know it's nothing like the Leicester City win, considering we could notch up +90 points and go down as collecting one of the highest points total in PL history. At the moment we have the 3rd best start in English football history.

Leicester won it with a points total that equalled to the same amount that the average Utd side picked up last season. That just about sums it up.

If we win it with a points total in the high 70s or low 80s, then fair enough they will have a point, but that simply won't be the case.

Offline scalatore

• Kopite
« Reply #3677 on: January 30, 2019, 03:53:32 pm »
If City win all their remaining games, we can drop 6 points. So 39 from the 45 remaining. That's 2.6ppg. Currently we're on 2.61ppg. So we just need to keep doing our thing. No small feat since we've been excellent so far to get to 2.61ppg, but easier than City's current scenario, in which they might have to win every game and still not have any guarantee that they'd win the league.

There's a long way to go, and although I'm confident we'll do it, it doesn't feel like 2013/14. I was bullish and excited a long way out that season. This year I just want points on the board. If we can be on 75 points in the next five or six games then I might start to get my head turned, but right now I just want to quietly enjoy the season.

(And just because I have the numbers in front of me: City are on 2.33ppg, which is about 33 points from their 42 remaining if they stay at the same rate - 88 or 89 total. If they don't raise their game soon, our job's going to look a lot easier.)

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #3678 on: January 30, 2019, 03:55:22 pm »
If City win all their remaining games, we can drop 6 points.

You're talking like we've already won the Leicester game. I'm sure City were also as dismissive of Newcastle before playing them.

Offline scalatore

• Kopite
« Reply #3679 on: January 30, 2019, 03:56:58 pm »
You're talking like we've already won the Leicester game. I'm sure City were also as dismissive of Newcastle before playing them.
No, I'm not. It's basic maths. If we lose the Leicester game, how many points ahead are we?