Author Topic: MATCH PREVIEW: Liverpool v Leicester City - Sat 10th Sept, 17:30  (Read 42848 times)

Offline Kop 81

• Spineless.
  • Kopite
  • We've got KLOPP!
Re: MATCH PREVIEW: Liverpool v Leicester City - Sat 10th Sept, 17:30
« Reply #40 on: September 7, 2016, 11:42:10 am »
We need to dominate possession and beware of counters. That's all Leicester do. I would keep our back line as close to the goal as possible to nullify Mahrez and Vardy. An early goal could ruin them, and we could capitalize on the home momentum.

I disagree.  We need to let them come onto us a hit them with Mane etc.

Leicester thrive on teams playing posession, they will just sit back and soak it up.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #41 on: September 7, 2016, 11:44:48 am »
Love the hyperbole.

I must have missed those games when we got battered with those 3 in midfield.

It dominated Arsenal and Spurs for long stretches away from home... but yeah..... "dire" apparently

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #42 on: September 7, 2016, 12:03:20 pm »
It dominated Arsenal and Spurs for long stretches away from home... but yeah..... "dire" apparently

Being 100% honest, I'm not convinced by a midfield 3 of Henderson, Lallana and Wijnaldum. That's more of a 'on paper' assessment that their skill sets don't seem to match with what I'd expect from a midfield 3.

Reality is that they've done OK though over a limited number of games. At least matched Arsenal's midfield over 90 mins, dominated a strong Spurs midfield for the majority of the game and played against a Burnley team that conceded the midfield space.

It wasn't perfect but it was a long, long way from being 'dire'.

My worry is that people's pre-conceived thoughts about how a midfield should be set ups at odds with what Klopp expects from his midfield. Maybe this is driven by how we set up under our last successful manager.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: September 7, 2016, 12:03:27 pm »
6-0 Mane with all please. :)
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #44 on: September 7, 2016, 12:06:59 pm »

My worry is that people's pre-conceived thoughts about how a midfield should be set ups at odds with what Klopp expects from his midfield. Maybe this is driven by how we set up under our last successful manager.

Are we just writing 13/14 and Brendan Rodgers out of the history books or something? Gerrard, Henderson and Coutinho was just as attacking as our current midfield set-up.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #45 on: September 7, 2016, 12:12:00 pm »
Being 100% honest, I'm not convinced by a midfield 3 of Henderson, Lallana and Wijnaldum. That's more of a 'on paper' assessment that their skill sets don't seem to match with what I'd expect from a midfield 3.

Reality is that they've done OK though over a limited number of games. At least matched Arsenal's midfield over 90 mins, dominated a strong Spurs midfield for the majority of the game and played against a Burnley team that conceded the midfield space.

It wasn't perfect but it was a long, long way from being 'dire'.

The most important position in Klopp's midfield is the sitter in the #6 position. With the two attacking midfielders we're often looking more like 4-1-4-1 on the ball. This means the sitter has a hell of a lot of ground to cover in midfield but they're also expected to contribute when we're on the ball.

I think the midfield has been good so far but when Can returns from injury in that #6 role we're going to see a massive improvement.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Nice one, Barney lad!

• Main Stander
  • Take me to your Klopp.
« Reply #46 on: September 7, 2016, 12:15:55 pm »
Last season's 1-0 win was surreal at the end.
Benteke racing in on an empty goal and the 40 thousand people shouting 'Shoot!' or 'Open goal!' And yet we all knew the bastard had already bottled it - somehow perfecting backwards intent whilst running forward.
His goal earlier on and everything but a pure bananas moment.

Offline ZeusMetallica

• Kopite
« Reply #47 on: September 7, 2016, 12:17:37 pm »
Are we just writing 13/14 and Brendan Rodgers out of the history books or something? Gerrard, Henderson and Coutinho was just as attacking as our current midfield set-up.

Gerrard, Henderson, Coutinho was far superior to Lallana, this current Henderson and an unsettled Wijnaldum. That's the difference.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: September 7, 2016, 12:18:43 pm »
Nice OP.

I think this game suits Leicester but that's not to say they will win. They will just take an approach to this game like they did all last season whereas the games they've had so far this season they've had to attack more because they are the champions and there's a certain amount of responsibility to play like champions.

There's counter is a danger and despite there efforts defensively last season, Kante is a loss and I don't think the backline has replicated anything near the sort of form we saw last season, though it's still early day.

For us I'd like to see Danny up top, we will see alot of the ball and his ability in tighter spaces might be key. He can rattle off a shot quicker than anyone else we have available and that might be the difference.

For me personally it's an emotional one as I take my five year old to his first match, something which I've waited to do since he was born so very proud moment. Hopefully we win as he takes losing pretty bad!

Offline Red-Dread

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #49 on: September 7, 2016, 12:54:43 pm »
Have a feeling we will win this reasonably comfortably after scoring an early-ish goal which disrupts the oppo's gameplan.

Sturridge to start and to be instrumental in the victory with impressive performances all round, establishing a feelgood factor around the newly-expanded stadium leading to a Fortress-Anfield scenario all season :)

@Upinsmoke - taking your boy to his first match is unforgettable - I have vivid memories of attending my first with my old man and of taking my son for his. Magic.
first ever avatar..... ben(d)oak

Offline Kop 81

• Spineless.
  • Kopite
  • We've got KLOPP!
« Reply #50 on: September 7, 2016, 01:08:33 pm »
I think we will win but it will be a slog.  Going for 1-0, a late Mane goal.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #51 on: September 7, 2016, 01:17:50 pm »

Not all. But our last sustained success came with a midfield 3 that consisted of a destroyer (Hamman/Mascherano), deep lying playmaker (Alonso) and a more traditional number 10 type player (Gerrard). I get the impression that a lot of people want to return our midfield to something similar.

As you point out we had ‘success' with the midfield 3 of Coutinho, Henderson and Gerrard in 2013/14. This came at a cost, in terms of goals conceded. I think the Henderson, Lallana, Wijnaldum trio is more mobile and likely to offer better defensive protection. Funky-Gibbons has said this and I agree that when Emre Can is fit, then it improves things again. Him at the base with one of Henderson/Wijnaldum and Lallana seems to offer better balance to the midfield and a bit more protection for the defence.

Gerrard, Henderson, Coutinho was far superior to Lallana, this current Henderson and an unsettled Wijnaldum. That's the difference.

In principle I actually agree that they are likely to be better. But you're you basing very strong opinions on the midfield after 3 games?

How good with Henderson, Wijnaldum and Lallana look with Suarez, Sterling and the 13/14 version of Danial Sturridge in front on them?

I'm not saying Henderson, Wijnaldum and Lallana is an ideal 3, but I take umbrage with your statement that they are 'dire'. The evidence points to the fact they are not.

Assuming Can is injured on Saturday, who would you play as our midfield 3?
« Last Edit: September 7, 2016, 01:22:30 pm by Jookie »
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: September 7, 2016, 01:40:20 pm »

For me personally it's an emotional one as I take my five year old to his first match, something which I've waited to do since he was born so very proud moment. Hopefully we win as he takes losing pretty bad!

That's really great, I hope your laddie has a wonderful time and its the start of a long line of success that he sees.

I'm quietly confident, going for 2-0 with a long range Wiljnaldum goal. Looking forward to seeing Matip again and hopefully Mane continues his good start to the season.

Come on Liverpool

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: September 7, 2016, 02:02:38 pm »

There must be a lot of five year olds on the forum.

Offline Kop 81

• Spineless.
  • Kopite
  • We've got KLOPP!
« Reply #54 on: September 7, 2016, 02:52:59 pm »
It feels like it's been months since we last played.  Can't wait for this.

Really can't get into international football like I used to, it just hasn't got the magic of club football.

Offline Art of Lies

• The anime Effes. RAWK never forgets the tentacles.
  • Kopite
« Reply #55 on: September 7, 2016, 06:00:53 pm »
For a limited time only Liverpool FC official eye wear partner is offering a deal on spectacles for those fans who seem to think our new midfield signing is not visible. A team of researchers from Sheffield University's optics department collected surprising new evidence that  conclusively shows that the player was not found in the expected position on the field, defending while lying down. Much to their surprise he was found to be actually almost exclusively standing up therefore conclusively demonstrated that the player is actually on the field. In light of this discovery and for a limited time only we are offering our flagship product to loyal fans who can't seem to see our player now that his actual location in midfield has been discovered, at a substantially reduced price of course.

Or to put it another way, if you are going to rant about a player being invisible at least have the decency to watch the player during the game, and the relationship between the player and the ball, and the players around him, in attack, defence, and most importantly when the team is under pressure and in the transition between defence and attack.
'If I had known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.'

Offline Garnier

• Legacy Fan
  • thought Brendan could tame Balotelli
« Reply #56 on: September 7, 2016, 07:02:36 pm »
Still very pissed off at Emre Can's injury.

Just hope the lads play good football (not just attacking,but defending) and win comfortably
Leicester have a lot of pace upfront with Gray,Musa and Vardy.Will be interesting to watch Lovren & co deal with this
The change is cast

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #57 on: September 8, 2016, 12:31:38 am »
Wijnaldum needs a rest. Invisible so far, and invisible for Holland last night.

I want to have Firmino near the box. He needs so little space to score, and that's exactly what we need. 
Club and country performances mostly have little bearing on each other.
Wijnaldum's a goal threat, which is also what we'll need against Leicester. They'll defend well and Wijnaldum's quite intelligent in and around the box.

Watch the Arsenal assist and the chance against Spurs(punched over the bar by Lloris) for an indication. We need goals from all over.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #58 on: September 8, 2016, 12:43:36 am »
Invisible so far
Well I've seen him even if you haven't.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #59 on: September 8, 2016, 01:14:56 am »

Just hope the lads play good football (not just attacking,but defending) and win comfortably
Leicester have a lot of pace upfront with Gray,Musa and Vardy.Will be interesting to watch Lovren & co deal with this

I don't have any concerns with Lovren in terms of his aerial ability but he's really vulnerable to pace, especially if he gets dragged out wide. For this reason I think Moreno will play to help cover Lovren on any Leicester counter-attack (they'll play primarily to hit us on the break, that's almost certain).

I think we'll edge this, 1-0 or 2-1. I can't see it being a particularly entertaining game if I'm honest; Leicester will be Leicester and the onus will be on us to create chances and unlock the door. Mane being fit is a huge boost, and of course with the new stand opening there should be a real buzz about Anfield. But I think Leicester will try and make it a bit ugly and they'll want to hit us on the break. I think it'll take something like a scruffy Firmino goal in the six yard box or a goal from the penalty spot to get us over the line.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #60 on: September 8, 2016, 01:27:36 am »

Is it confirmed he'll be out?

I hope Firmino doesn't play in this. Leicester will be parking their usual bus and Firmino's pressing will be less influential.

Coutinho-Sturridge-Mane up front. Henderson-Stewart-Can in midfield. Moreno instead of Milner at LB to give us width on the left side.

Please and thank you.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: September 8, 2016, 05:36:22 am »
Hopefully Upinsmoke's little fella will bring us luck. Good read Rhi, and let's hope all those on here who knew Jacko (and all those not on here) get a moment to smile during this awful time. Thoughts with you from here.

So Saturday is going to be ... and lets not forget... two weeks since some proper footy!... so Saturday is going to be about lots of Liverpool pressure... pass, pass, a pretence of energy in the middle to go vertical, but go sideways... movement, crosses, headed out, pressing, corners that you can go for a piss at, pass, pass, shoot, miss... and on 40 minutes, they go and score on the counter and it's basically it.

Or it goes a bit differently. There's always a chance of that.

Bit concerned over Coutinho's travels... did Firminho go too? I'm guessing he did. A day for Wijnaldum perhaps? He's at home after all etc... let's hope on Saturday he cements this home only tag, and bangs in a goal. Just for Saturday. We just need to win here. 1-0 I'm hoping for. I'd love a good 1-0. 2-1 then. Maybe. Or something else. A win please. Win this. Win it. Win.

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: September 8, 2016, 07:32:39 am »
Actually a draw wouldn't be such a bad result. I don't think the team has really gelled properly and as some have mentioned before me, the situation might be too overwhelming for certain members of our team.

Not to forget that Leicester have an absolute beast of a player in islam slimani. He is a suarez like player and our midfield (if it is indeed ginni and hendo) will have hard time tracking him. He is gonna give lovern a hard game.

So as long as we don't lose, and our team gets even more used to each other...I am good.

Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

Offline ENSKIED

• Main Stander
« Reply #63 on: September 8, 2016, 08:02:17 am »
Actually a draw wouldn't be such a bad result. I don't think the team has really gelled properly and as some have mentioned before me, the situation might be too overwhelming for certain members of our team.

Not to forget that Leicester have an absolute beast of a player in islam slimani. He is a suarez like player and our midfield (if it is indeed ginni and hendo) will have hard time tracking him. He is gonna give lovern a hard game.

So as long as we don't lose, and our team gets even more used to each other...I am good.

It's all a matter of opinions, but much more Benteke than Suarez I would strongly suggest, so Leicester, as we found out with Benteke must sacrfice play to his err strengths, if we do not take advantage of that then more fool us. However, football isn't or shouldn't be about one player, they should have more to worry about concerning us then we have concerning them, that was the whole point of recruiting The "Klopp-Effect" was it not? We need three points from this by hook or by crook and the team should be hungry and raring to go.   

Offline vinothmct

• Kopite
« Reply #64 on: September 8, 2016, 08:22:59 am »
It's all a matter of opinions, but much more Benteke than Suarez I would strongly suggest, so Leicester, as we found out with Benteke must sacrfice play to his err strengths, if we do not take advantage of that then more fool us. However, football isn't or shouldn't be about one player, they should have more to worry about concerning us then we have concerning them, that was the whole point of recruiting The "Klopp-Effect" was it not? We need three points from this by hook or by crook and the team should be hungry and raring to go.

This. We need the 3 Points somehow in this game. If we dont we can kiss bye to PL Title Challenge. Its early days but gap would be Too much .

Offline Bolrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: September 8, 2016, 08:37:03 am »

When I compared him with Suarez...I was actually talking about how Silani presses from the front and is always moving around looking for the ball.

Offline ENSKIED

• Main Stander
« Reply #66 on: September 8, 2016, 08:54:46 am »
When I compared him with Suarez...I was actually talking about how Silani presses from the front and is always moving around looking for the ball.

Like I say BR in my post it's all about opinions. On Saturday we'll have some facts to go with those opinions and let's hope the fact of the matter is we have three points, anything less will be an incipient form of the disasterous, yes even at this stage of the season.   

Offline Bolrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: September 8, 2016, 09:14:37 am »
Like I say BR in my post it's all about opinions. On Saturday we'll have some facts to go with those opinions and let's hope the fact of the matter is we have three points, anything less will be an incipient form of the disasterous, yes even at this stage of the season.   

Yup... I hope we win. But it wouldn't be the end of the world if we drew this match.

I do think we will have an awesome run in the 2nd half of the season though. We just have to ensure we don't lose too many points in the next 10 games or so.

Offline LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #68 on: September 8, 2016, 09:31:09 am »
Win and we are back on track!

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: September 8, 2016, 09:31:31 am »
I'd love to see Can start a game. That midfield 3 of Lallana, Henderson and Wijnaldum is dire.
The know-alls are out again.
Can anyone say they've seen enough to come to that conclusion? Perhaps it isn't Klopps first choice midfield, who knows?
I'm just looking forward to the game, never thought I'd see a 50,000 plus crowd at Anfield again. Did some work in the East Midlands and the locals are confident. Bookies have us odds on.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: September 8, 2016, 09:35:57 am »
Henderson-Stewart-Can in midfield.

The stuff of nightmares.

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #71 on: September 8, 2016, 10:00:08 am »
Well I've seen him even if you haven't.

Have you seen him put in a tackle though?
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: September 8, 2016, 10:07:21 am »
Have you seen him put in a tackle though?

Definitely made a few at Spurs & Arsenal. Hid at Burnley for me though.

If you want a player diving into tackles, Wijnaldum's not your man.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #73 on: September 8, 2016, 10:13:11 am »
See they have 0 injuries again this year , fully fit squad for Saturday .

That  chamber they use must be doing some good ..

Offline SC04OCT

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #74 on: September 8, 2016, 10:44:00 am »
We're going to smash them like we smashed Arsenal and should have smashed Spurs.

3-0 or 3-1 if they're lucky.

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: September 8, 2016, 10:52:33 am »
think this be a draw, they got a good couple of results since their opening day defeat and we are still too hot and cold over ninety minutes at the moment

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #76 on: September 8, 2016, 11:08:41 am »
See they have 0 injuries again this year , fully fit squad for Saturday .

That  chamber they use must be doing some good ..
It really is a remarkable job that they're doing at Leicester, keeping their players fit over the course of a season. We can barely last a match without someone being injured.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline Halewooder

• Anny Roader
« Reply #77 on: September 8, 2016, 11:17:35 am »
Confident that we will beat these so going for a 2-1 win for us.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #78 on: September 8, 2016, 11:26:20 am »
wehaaaayy back to proper football

I am confident we are going to win this

It's important we do just to settle some lingering negativity and get some points on the board because it's been a weird start to the season to say the least.

Hope the new stand hype filters onto the pitch and the lads are well up for this

2-1 to the redmen
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
« Reply #79 on: September 8, 2016, 12:01:56 pm »
It really is a remarkable job that they're doing at Leicester, keeping their players fit over the course of a season. We can barely last a match without someone being injured.
So, this is a theory of mine and my own opinion, but for some time now, I feel that we have had players who are... Less than robust mentally? Yes, there are tears, pulls and other types of injuries that you can't legislate for, but as most will know from playing sport at any level, there are players that could have played, but (for want of a better phrase) have wussed out at the slightest opportunity to do so. I personally think that we've had a few of those over the years that have caused this perception (*cough* Harry Kewell...). We're not alone in this either I hasten to add, as other sides have more well documented issues as well.

On the other hand, the modern-day footballer is a different breed than in previous years as well and I think upbringing is a lot to do with it, as (bear me out on this - like I said, it's an opinion and one that I can backup as I coach kids rugby and have done football as well over the years) kids are treated a whole lot more differently than they used to be. And before anyone says anything, in the vast amount of cases, this is a good thing of course. My prime example is physical fitness. I used to climb trees, cycle everywhere, play every sport going. It's only now (46) that I'm starting to feel my body saying enough is enough. I have a bloody good immune system, and decent muscle structure as I never went to a gym, but done a different (and I would argue better) level of exercise. Coupled with the fact that I was free to do whatever I wanted sport-wise without being told that I was doing too much. The coaches I had in my youth were harder (great people I hasten to add - not utter RSM's... although I did actually have an ex RSM as one of them, but I digress!) and as a result, I strongly feel I was more robust as a result. I see kids nowadays being told that you can't do this, or you can't do that, as they're complaining about a bruise!

I know there will now be the inevitable "You're an old git" and "Times have changed" arguments back, but that's simply how I see it. Lack of consistency over the years has cost us dearly with players dropping out and I am absolutely convinced that in quite a few cases, not only has the player bottled it with an injury, they've also not been able to handle the pressure and taken the easy way out. It happens at all levels and it would be very wrong to assume that it's never happened here.

I made a point about hating the phrase "Lesser side" in another thread. I've always maintained that there is no such thing (Pulis and Allardyce sides aside of course) but even they are made up of players that you can depend on as they are mentally as well as physically strong. This is what makes Leicester's triumph last year so refreshing for me, as they saw it through. They had players that were desperate to play in as many games as they could.

Like I said, all my own opinion, although I'm pretty sure that there will be others thinking the same.
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here