Author Topic: The Labour Party (*)  (Read 898673 times)

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Labour Party (*)
« Reply #7400 on: May 9, 2017, 08:08:24 pm »
"More of a majority"? How much bigger can it get? The Tories are predicted a landslide on a par with Blair's 1997 majority.

The fact that they've swallowed up the UKIP portion of the popular vote is entirely predictable and frankly, down to Labour.

So what do you suggest? Even with no credible opposition, the Tories are polling in the low 40s, meaning that over half the electorate are not Tory.

I haven't a clue mate. 

Maybe some sort of political alliance of the left and centre-left?   
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline zebenzui

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7401 on: May 9, 2017, 08:11:55 pm »
And here are his exact words..

https://m.soundcloud.com/jimwaterson/jeremy-corbyn-on-his-future-as-labour-leader?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=wtshare&utm_medium=Twitter&utm_content=https%3A//soundcloud.com/jimwaterson/jeremy-corbyn-on-his-future-as-labour-leader

They reported what he actually said.

Those minutes are an aide-memoire for us. They should not be a reductive record of what happened to have been said, but they should be more a full record of what was intended to have been said.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #7402 on: May 9, 2017, 08:14:42 pm »
"More of a majority"? How much bigger can it get? The Tories are predicted a landslide on a par with Blair's 1997 majority.

The fact that they've swallowed up the UKIP portion of the popular vote is entirely predictable and frankly, down to Labour.

So what do you suggest? Even with no credible opposition, the Tories are polling in the low 40s, meaning that over half the electorate are not Tory.

How is most UKIP voters being obvious shy Tories labours fault?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #7403 on: May 9, 2017, 08:16:24 pm »
You should share your disgust with the commenters on Express articles and various Tory forums (google is your friend) who think she's a despicable lefty.

The only websites where you post with crayons and colouring in pens

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7404 on: May 9, 2017, 08:19:52 pm »
The only websites where you post with crayons and colouring in pens

And yet you (and Trada) share the crayon-wielding maniacs views that the BBC's political editor is an ideological disgrace to her profession :).
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #7405 on: May 9, 2017, 08:21:18 pm »
I'm in total agreement with you. I'm just trying to look at it from their perspective, so many better ways to deal with it if they didn't want it to be the main talking point. The option they chose just highlights again how incompetent they all are and that they shouldn't be running a government.
Oh, sorry I misinterpreted what you said to mean you didn't know what had happened.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #7406 on: May 9, 2017, 08:21:22 pm »
And yet you (and Trada) share the crayon-wielding maniacs views that the BBC's political editor is an ideological disgrace to her profession :).

I don't like her no. People not allowed an opinion? Colouring in makes more sense than most modern media and politicians

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #7407 on: May 9, 2017, 08:21:24 pm »
How is most UKIP voters being obvious shy Tories labours fault?

Because a lot of them used to be Labour voters.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7408 on: May 9, 2017, 08:26:29 pm »
I don't like her no. People not allowed an opinion? Colouring in makes more sense than most modern media and politicians

Of course. I was just pointing out that she's slated for her treatment of both party leaders (and if I could be bothered, there's probably a tiny forum of disgruntled LibDems somewhere, not to mention Nuttall/Frottage/Sturgeon supporters). And you posted that view the day after she clearly highlighted May's failure as Home Secretary to meet the 'tens of thousands' target.

If the BBC Political Editor is accused of political bias by all sides, perhaps she's just asking difficult questions of senior political figures.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #7409 on: May 9, 2017, 08:48:29 pm »
His interview with Kuenssberg is worse. Fails to answer an obvious Brexit question that is put to him seven times.

It was bound to happen and anyone with any intelligence knows it.

Corbyn is anti-Europe. He always has been. Yet the party he inherited was pro-Europe. He led it and therefore had to fall in line with its overwhelming preference to Remain. He did it half-heartedly. So far half-heartedly that he went on a nice holiday during the height of the referendum campaign. People began to suspect he was lying when he said 'remain'. On the day after the vote he demanded a 'hard Brexit'. That didn't go down well with Labour people. It put him not just on the side of the government but ahead of them. Then he whipped his MPs to vote for the Tories in the Commons. Then someone pointed out that 70 per cent of Labour voters were Remainers. It's been confusion ever since. Now he trims his sails to whatever wind he's presently facing. He changes his mind from day to day depending on what question he's asked. No one knows what his position is because he's afraid to say it.

And some deluded fools still say he's "a man of principle." It's a fucking good joke. But that's all it is.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7410 on: May 9, 2017, 09:26:30 pm »
Corbyn isn't fighting a general election, he's fighting a leadership election, and the voters (and in the end members) will see through it.

Fair comment?

https://twitter.com/jolyongreen/status/861896493669777408
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7411 on: May 9, 2017, 09:37:12 pm »

Very much appreciate you magnanamously quoting this to prove me right. Ta la

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7412 on: May 9, 2017, 09:37:31 pm »
Fair comment?

https://twitter.com/jolyongreen/status/861896493669777408
Thought you called it hours ago

Too much about what was wrong with the Tories than what labour could do for your undecided voter for my liking..
That's a strategy to talk to your own supporters, not to win over new ones.

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #7413 on: May 10, 2017, 05:52:25 am »
Thought you called it hours ago
That's a strategy to talk to your own supporters, not to win over new ones.

Or highlight to the fence-sitting middle how fucking backward the Tories are.

Can't link on my phone, but there's a tiny comment piece on fox hunting in The New Statesman. Why shouldn't they highlight things like this? It's barbaric.

And people say Corbyn is stuck in the past! He might have a romanticised view of Leftist politics but I bet you you he doesn't want to dress up like a twat on a horse and have his dogs rip foxes limb from limb after chasing them to exhaustion. I know exactly who I'd rather associate with.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7414 on: May 10, 2017, 09:04:23 am »
Or highlight to the fence-sitting middle how fucking backward the Tories are.
With our 70s throwback and Marxist Chancellor?

Can't link on my phone, but there's a tiny comment piece on fox hunting in The New Statesman. Why shouldn't they highlight things like this? It's barbaric.
It is, but so what? I live in a city. The closest I get to fox-hunting is going for a pint in the fox and hounds. I'm as into wildlife as the next man, but this is a world away from my life.

You know, before you pinged my phone this morning I woke up thinking about this film I watched last night. This mother of four going door-to-door. And her poor dad. I urge you to watch it, just 11 minutes. It's about what austerity means in rural Lancashire. They get three buses a day to their village! WTF? I have a 24hour bus six minutes walk from my house. It'll take me to the nearest hospital in fifteen minutes more. What these people are facing is a world away from my life too. It's grim viewing but watch this video if you can.
This was a good video from Jon Harris at The Guardian about the Tories winning in Lancashire by promising to, erm, reverse the cuts the Tories in Westminster imposed. So sad the left have been able to find a convincing way to put their alternatives the past 7 years.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/video/2017/may/09/cuts-anger-frustration-and-labour-still-cant-break-through-video
Here's the New Stateman link. I'll post it up in good faith for you, but I cannot get past that video this morning.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/june2017/2017/05/if-were-going-talk-about-fox-hunting-again-lets-be-honest-about-it

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7415 on: May 10, 2017, 09:21:51 am »
:lmao

Fucking hell

They used his words .. his actual words.

He probably didn't mean to say it, but that's the problem, good at protesting, shit at politics.

Utter incompetence.  Corbynballs 671

Edit: the idea of a different meaning being feasible is quite tenuous...  even if it were true, they reported what he ACTUALLY SAID.  How can they ban an organization for reporting his actual words?  Bizarre.

They need to stop listening to his words and hear what is in his heart. #trumpesque
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7416 on: May 10, 2017, 09:24:01 am »
Journalistic Representations of Jeremy Corbyn in the British Press - London School of Economics

This research project provides a sound and theoretically informed analysis of the various (or unison) media representations of the rise of Jeremy Corbyn as a candidate for the Labour leadership and of him as the new leader of the largest opposition party in the UK. Furthermore, this project also aims to make a contribution to the ongoing public debate regarding the role of mainstream media and of journalists in a media-saturated democracy.

We set out to recognise and acknowledge the legitimate role of the press to critique and challenge the powers that be, which is often encapsulated by the metaphor of the watchdog. Our systematic content analysis of a representative sample of newspaper articles published in 8 national newspapers between 1 September and 1 November 2015, however, shows that the press reacted in a highly transgressive manner to the new leader of the opposition, hence our reference to the attackdog metaphor.

Our analysis shows that Corbyn was thoroughly delegitimised as a political actor from the moment he became a prominent candidate and even more so after he was elected as party leader, with a strong mandate. This process of delegitimisation occurred in several ways: 1) through lack of or distortion of voice; 2) through ridicule, scorn and personal attacks; and 3) through association, mainly with terrorism.

All this raises, in our view, a number of pressing ethical questions regarding the role of the media in a democracy. Certainly, democracies need their media to challenge power and offer robust debate, but when this transgresses into an antagonism that undermines legitimate political voices that dare to contest the current status quo, then it is not democracy that is served.

Full report in link.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/media@lse/research/Mainstream-Media-Representations-of-Jeremy-Corbyn.aspx
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 09:26:02 am by Bunter »

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #7417 on: May 10, 2017, 09:40:58 am »
Journalistic Representations of Jeremy Corbyn in the British Press - London School of Economics

The first point they raise is "lack of voice" given to Corbyn. Which may be true at times, but it's also proof of how important it is to get your message to journalists before they file. I'd be fascinated to see the results after that has been accounted for.

The second point is "delegitimisation". And it's undeniably true that the right-wing papers, which is where the report finds this a big problem, mock and ridicule Corbyn. As they have every Labour leader. I would say that if being linked to the IRA, Hamas etc is "delegitimisation" then perhaps Jeremy should have considered that before running for leader because, with the best will in the world, if you're calling terrorists "friends" it's not usually going to play well to anyone but other "friends" of terrorists.

The conclusion is that the right wing newspapers may not be helpful for democracy. I'm ok with that. But that's the hurdle for every Labour leader to get over. That's the job.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7418 on: May 10, 2017, 10:01:54 am »
I'm not sure I needed a report to tell me the newspapers in this country were partisan? It's not their job to respect a Labour leader.

I wish the newspapers weren't like that of course!

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #7419 on: May 10, 2017, 10:25:01 am »

This research project provides a sound and theoretically informed analysis of the various (or unison) media representations of the rise of Jeremy Corbyn as a candidate for the Labour leadership and of him as the new leader of the largest opposition party in the UK. Furthermore, this project also aims to make a contribution to the ongoing public debate regarding the role of mainstream media and of journalists in a media-saturated democracy.

We set out to recognise and acknowledge the legitimate role of the press to critique and challenge the powers that be, which is often encapsulated by the metaphor of the watchdog. Our systematic content analysis of a representative sample of newspaper articles published in 8 national newspapers between 1 September and 1 November 2015, however, shows that the press reacted in a highly transgressive manner to the new leader of the opposition, hence our reference to the attackdog metaphor.

Our analysis shows that Corbyn was thoroughly delegitimised as a political actor from the moment he became a prominent candidate and even more so after he was elected as party leader, with a strong mandate. This process of delegitimisation occurred in several ways: 1) through lack of or distortion of voice; 2) through ridicule, scorn and personal attacks; and 3) through association, mainly with terrorism.

All this raises, in our view, a number of pressing ethical questions regarding the role of the media in a democracy. Certainly, democracies need their media to challenge power and offer robust debate, but when this transgresses into an antagonism that undermines legitimate political voices that dare to contest the current status quo, then it is not democracy that is served.

Full report in link.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/media@lse/research/Mainstream-Media-Representations-of-Jeremy-Corbyn.aspx

So labour ban buzzfeed for a headline they isn't like, and May will only take prevetted questions.

Time that the journalists turned against these political light weights.

That's straight talking for you eh?  Report exactly what he said and get banned!

It's another day in Corbynland. Start the day with a launch and the promise of a new exciting policy. Parachute in a Corbynite to a safe seat, then get into a row and ban Buzzfeed for actually reporting what he says.

Brilliant media management - take a story that would have been forgotten by most in a day or two and turn it into one about his media style, his honesty, banning the press and of course opening up the question: 'so what is the answer?... are you going or stay

Full report in link.

This was 'demon eyes' Tony Blair poster from 1997:

Labour win by a landslide.

It's an Enoch Powell quote but true nonetheless - 'a politician complaining about the press is like a sailor complaining about the sea'.

Corbyn has so much baggage it's no good complaining when his enemies use it to discredit him. It was bound to happen.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7420 on: May 10, 2017, 10:25:39 am »
They need to stop listening to his words and hear what is in his heart. #trumpesque

As with Trump, the media need to take him seriously, but not literally. Whereas they're currently taking him literally, but not seriously. Or something.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #7421 on: May 10, 2017, 11:03:44 am »

Full report in link.

Try reading the full report.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/media@lse/research/pdf/JeremyCorbyn/Cobyn-Report.pdf

The number of articles about Corbyn without direct Corbyn quotes is one notable feature. But that may well be self-inflicted, the tales of missed deadlines responding to media queries are legion.

The 8 papers reviewed were:

The Sun, Express, Mail, Telegraph, Standard, Independent, Mirror and Guardian.

The first 5 are all right wing, so they printed lots of antagonistic stories. In other news water is wet. In the Mirror and the Guardian there were less than 5% antagonistic and around 20% positive with the majority neutral.

This is not a great conspiracy, this is the newspaper landscape as it has been for the last 40 years.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7422 on: May 10, 2017, 11:59:16 am »
"It's always been like that, get over it" isn't a good argument.  We've had a Tory government for most of my life, and if there's evidence of the scales being tipped in their favour, then it should be discussed and debated. 

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7423 on: May 10, 2017, 12:03:05 pm »
It's another day in Corbynland. Start the day with a launch and the promise of a new exciting policy. Parachute in a Corbynite to a safe seat, then get into a row and ban Buzzfeed for actually reporting what he says.

Brilliant media management - take a story that would have been forgotten by most in a day or two and turn it into one about his media style, his honesty, banning the press and of course opening up the question: 'so what is the answer?... are you going or stay
This was 'demon eyes' Tony Blair poster from 1997:

Labour win by a landslide.

It's an Enoch Powell quote but true nonetheless - 'a politician complaining about the press is like a sailor complaining about the sea'.

Corbyn has so much baggage it's no good complaining when his enemies use it to discredit him. It was bound to happen.

You're quoting the far-right, racist, fascist Enoch Powell.  Wow.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #7424 on: May 10, 2017, 12:07:30 pm »
I haven't a clue mate. 

Maybe some sort of political alliance of the left and centre-left?   

I think that's a fairly accurate description of the traditional Labour Party's notion of a "broad church".
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #7425 on: May 10, 2017, 12:09:45 pm »
"It's always been like that, get over it" isn't a good argument.  We've had a Tory government for most of my life, and if there's evidence of the scales being tipped in their favour, then it should be discussed and debated.

Well if it isn't a good argument, what's the alternative? To make the press print something else? Everyone knows full well the scales are tipped in their grubby favour. It isn't a case of getting over it but of getting around it.

Jeremy Corbyn has shown no ability to do such a thing. He's barely even shown a desire to.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7426 on: May 10, 2017, 12:10:30 pm »
You're quoting the far-right, racist, fascist Enoch Powell.  Wow.
Yeah, I thought quoting "right-wing Tories" was above members of the board to make their point.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=327632.msg14796110#msg14796110
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7427 on: May 10, 2017, 12:22:58 pm »

But the argument being made is that Corbyn has exceptionally harshly treated. A study concluding that right wing papers are not very nice to Labour leaders and that the Guardian and Mirror are more balanced is not exactly earth shattering. Newspapers are not objective and are not required to be. People choice their paper to mirror their world view. 

It is not a Corbyn issue, it is an issue that all Labour leaders face. Of course some leaders are media competent and are able to generate their own positive stories even in the more hostile end of the press.

But it is the free choice of the people. If the Morning Star reflected more people's views, they would sell more papers and become a more dominant media player.

If people wanted  more left wing papers, someone would fill the niche. More right wing papers are sold, because paper buyers like voters who actually vote tend to be an older demographic.

Now there are measures that could be implemented to remedy false stories, but by and large I would want those more for non-politicians. Politicians have a platform to respond to any allegations, they are in less need of protection.

Freedom of choice and market forces have given us the current landscape. Moaning about it may play well with the faithful, but it is a huge turn off for those outside the party that need to be persuaded now.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #7428 on: May 10, 2017, 12:26:11 pm »
I'm not sure whether Corbyn has it any worse than Michael Foot or Neil Kinnock did, particularly Kinnock with the 'turn out the lights' headline. They really had it in for him.
Legacy fan

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7429 on: May 10, 2017, 12:26:27 pm »
Yeah, I thought quoting "right-wing Tories" was above members of the board to make their point.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=327632.msg14796110#msg14796110

Enoch Powell was an interesting man. Brilliant, but not much humanity. He was utterly wrong about race, but outside of that, anything he has to say was worth listening to. I would not agree with most of it, but it was worth listening to.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7430 on: May 10, 2017, 12:46:47 pm »
A 'brilliant' man who advised Churchill to declare martial law in India, who spoke several languages yet couldn't understand any other culture but his own.  A man who loved war.  A man who used intellectualism to disguise fascism.  A man who incited hate and attacks on non-whites in the streets.  A scared little man clinging on to the coat-tails of the empire.   

But let's quote him because that particular quote fits in with our bias. 

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7431 on: May 10, 2017, 12:56:58 pm »
Well if it isn't a good argument, what's the alternative? To make the press print something else? Everyone knows full well the scales are tipped in their grubby favour. It isn't a case of getting over it but of getting around it.

Jeremy Corbyn has shown no ability to do such a thing. He's barely even shown a desire to.
Do they though? This thread has always been about how Corbyn doesn't have it in him to win over Joe Public, does Joe Public know  when they read their newspaper that there is an agenda against him and his party? They don't have a clue and soak up whatever information they're fed.

At the end of the day it's an unfair advantage that has haunted Labour for years and will continue to do so until something is done about it. Newspapers are influencing elections with biased reporting; I don't understand why that should just be ignored.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7432 on: May 10, 2017, 01:01:05 pm »
A 'brilliant' man who advised Churchill to declare martial law in India, who spoke several languages yet couldn't understand any other culture but his own.  A man who loved war.  A man who used intellectualism to disguise fascism.  A man who incited hate and attacks on non-whites in the streets.  A scared little man clinging on to the coat-tails of the empire.   

But let's quote him because that particular quote fits in with our bias. 

That particular quote was appropriate in the context of the discussion. Powell's dubious past is irrelevant to the appropriateness of the quote.  Your rebuttal has a whiff of the ad homs about it.

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7433 on: May 10, 2017, 01:09:14 pm »
If only Corbyn and co bent over for the likes of Murdock, ( like all the charismatic leaders have done ) Labour wouldn't be getting half the flak it does...Not going to happen though.   

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7434 on: May 10, 2017, 01:10:43 pm »
If only Corbyn and co bent over for the likes of Murdock, ( like all the charismatic leaders have done ) Labour wouldn't be getting half the flak it does...Not going to happen though.   

If only Corbyn hadn't banned a media outlet that appealed to its core demographic for printing the words he actually said and then lied about saying.
W

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #7435 on: May 10, 2017, 01:16:51 pm »
Try reading the full report.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/media@lse/research/pdf/JeremyCorbyn/Cobyn-Report.pdf

The number of articles about Corbyn without direct Corbyn quotes is one notable feature. But that may well be self-inflicted, the tales of missed deadlines responding to media queries are legion.

The 8 papers reviewed were:

The Sun, Express, Mail, Telegraph, Standard, Independent, Mirror and Guardian.

The first 5 are all right wing, so they printed lots of antagonistic stories. In other news water is wet. In the Mirror and the Guardian there were less than 5% antagonistic and around 20% positive with the majority neutral.

This is not a great conspiracy, this is the newspaper landscape as it has been for the last 40 years.

I read the Guardian. I haven't got the figures, but I'd say that the majority of their Corbyn articles were negative (Or neutral with negative connotations)

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7436 on: May 10, 2017, 01:17:03 pm »

Talking to the press, and making sure that they have the responses that they need to do their jobs is not bending over, it is basic media management. Corbyn's press has been harsher that it needed to be because his media team have not met press release deadline. Their rebuttals of negative stories have been glacial in their response times allowing stories to be feed themselves and become the dominant news item of the day, rather than just being squashed. Even simple things like providing interviewees to the media following his conference speech eludes them, allowing a critic from the Labour party to have that prime contextualising spot instead. There are papers that will favour the Tories, but even they will print your stories if you hand them to them on a plate.

There is a path between surly hostility and genuflection to Murdoch. It would have had much better press coverage. But it would also have entailed a professional approach to running the Opposition.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7437 on: May 10, 2017, 01:24:00 pm »
I read the Guardian. I haven't got the figures, but I'd say that the majority of their Corbyn articles were negative (Or neutral with negative connotations)

Paul Mason and Owen Jones (especially Jones) are two of their more frequent opinion piece writers.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7438 on: May 10, 2017, 01:24:02 pm »

Reading the graph roughly:

18%  positive
52% neutral
27% critical
3% antagonistic

The majority were neutral.

You could equally claim that the majority were neutral or positive. The way you phrased it is spinning the stats. The definition of critical, also is not a bad thing. It is the role of the press to be critical and scrutinise politicians.

The 3% antagonistic can probably be explained by Comment is Free articles. They do print a wide range of viewpoints - including Milne and Mason.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7439 on: May 10, 2017, 01:25:33 pm »

Could that not just be because he's shit?

If there isn't positive stuff to say then how can you say it?
W