Author Topic: The unravelling. A team, manager and fans shafted by transfer incompetence  (Read 585965 times)

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
So you're saying that why? I don't understand your point

You don't think we should buy talented youngsters from europe? We should buy the most 'medium' young player in europe?

Help me out here??
What I'm saying is LFC should be targeting talented established players because that's what the team needs to become better. The squad has enough young and talented wide players I don't think spending more resources on another 1 should be a major target in the next transfer window for the club.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 11:39:22 pm by istvan kozma »

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
He's best as second striker, always has been acc to TK Karlsen. Not on the wing, central - running at defence. Tor Kristian Karlsen followed his career since making Partizan debut. He's one of the most famous scouts, head of Monaco recruitment for example lately.

He's really struggled higher up the pitch for us, he looks nervous and always wants to pass off responsibility to other players. I'm not saying he's a bad player, he's young and he needs time, but he wasn't playing well for us so the manager moved him and his form improved significantly. That's not misusing a player that's getting the most out of what you have.

Offline Twitter.com

• 140 character limitation. Laugh now but one day he'll be in chorge. Media junkie.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
What I'm saying is LFC should be targeting talented established players because that's what the team needs to become better. The squad has enough young and talented wide players I don't think spending more resources on another 1 should be major target for the Club.

Depay will do "a Henry" imo. He has potential to convert into a striker.
^ That's what you get for posting twitter shite kids.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
He's best as second striker, always has been acc to TK Karlsen. Not on the wing, central - running at defence. Tor Kristian Karlsen followed his career since making Partizan debut. He's one of the most famous scouts, head of Monaco recruitment for example lately.

He'd be good for us as inverted left winger/forward in 433.

Been saying we should play him as a second striker with Sterling for about two months now!  :butt With limited space on the wings, we need to utilize his vision & pace centrally.

No wait, that's too silly. What if it goes wrong? We have games to win! Let's play Balotelli.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline KirkVanHouten

• Legacy Fan
Goals can paper over some of the cracks of the rest of the side. Last season with sturridge and Suarez in full flight we were afforded the luxury of teams sitting off us. It meant our below par midfield was allowed space and looked good. Our defence on the other hand showed the true shortcomings of midfield. There was very little protection for our defenders and we needed better full backs.

I say this all the time, we lost our strongest advantage and didn't upgrade any part of the pitch to compensate.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
I'd take any rumours with a massive pinch of salt, given the number of times we've been 'close' to signing someone only for it to fall through.
Always monitoring never buying
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Twitter.com

• 140 character limitation. Laugh now but one day he'll be in chorge. Media junkie.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
Paul Joyce:

"Talks have taken place with PSV Eindhoven attacker Memphis Depay, a deal is lined up for Burnley's Danny Ings and Aston Villa's Christian Benteke interested Liverpool when they were in a similar situation last summer.

A free transfer move for Manchester City's James Milner has also been put in place, although if Liverpool were to fail to qualify for the Europa League next season the midfielder may rethink."

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/574131/Liverpool-Daniel-Sturridge-injury-woes-surgery-USA
^ That's what you get for posting twitter shite kids.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
If we signed Memphis I'd feel much better about us. Would be a nice change, signing a player of his calibre. He's going to be exceptional. Not getting my hopes up though.

Although, I wouldn't be particularly happy with; Depay, Ings, Benteke, Milner as our lot for the summer. We need a top midfielder on top of that.
« Last Edit: May 1, 2015, 12:08:01 am by Clint Eastwood »

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
Benteke wouldn`t work here as good of a player he is. He`d require us to cross it much more and our two main guys this season Sterling and Coutinho have showed not to have a great understanding with target men like Balotelli and Lambert. I think with Origi we`d already get that element of physicality and quality in the air. We are building our team around Phil and Raheem and should focus solely on people who will amplify their qualities and offer decent goal scoring rates at the same time.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
You can't help but turn this into a transfer thread

Locked for a while. Sorry Timbo. Will reopen later
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Reopened. Should it descend into transfer forum type rubbish it will be locked and cast out to oblivion

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline lastbaron

• Kopite
It's really hard not to talk about transfers- thread's title: "transfer incompetence".But, the club also proved incompetent in integrating new players to the squad, and helping them adapt to the new environment, expectaitions and toughness of the league.

Markovic and Moreno especially,  had good seasons before they came, but they never seemed to "click" during this season, and instead of improving with time and games the opposite happened. Markovic was mostly played out of position, Moreno looks like a kid from the u18 that found himself in the first team unexpectedly. 

Lallana is a good technician that can score goals, but it is obvious every time he plays that his role in the team is not clarified. Lovren started bad and then disappeared, even though we played 3 centre backs. Perhaps he should have been given a bit more time, giving the chance to Can to play in the midfield, either as a DM or as wing-back and Markovic further up the pitch.

Balotelli is the one move that made no sense, and was clearly a bad idea. We should have gone for a top striker instead of the worst possible one.

Anyway, the transfers were not as bad as people make them out to be, but we totally failed to make good use of them. Injuries did not help.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Depay will do "a Henry" imo. He has potential to convert into a striker.

Same old every season though with 'potential'.  Similar comments in previous seasons re Borini, Aspas, Markovic, etc. 

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Paul Joyce:

"Talks have taken place with PSV Eindhoven attacker Memphis Depay, a deal is lined up for Burnley's Danny Ings and Aston Villa's Christian Benteke interested Liverpool when they were in a similar situation last summer.

A free transfer move for Manchester City's James Milner has also been put in place, although if Liverpool were to fail to qualify for the Europa League next season the midfielder may rethink."

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/574131/Liverpool-Daniel-Sturridge-injury-woes-surgery-USA

Don't know much about Depay but totally underwhelming regarding the others, same old if accurate, so little change in the approach to purchases.  Continuing to look for  'value' and 'promise'.

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
Don't know much about Depay but totally underwhelming regarding the others, same old if accurate, so little change in the approach to purchases.  Continuing to look for  'value' and 'promise'.
Where is the value or promise in Ings and Milner?

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
We won't get Depay.
If me not get depay, me not do di work
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
It's really hard not to talk about transfers- thread's title: "transfer incompetence".But, the club also proved incompetent in integrating new players to the squad, and helping them adapt to the new environment, expectaitions and toughness of the league.

Markovic and Moreno especially,  had good seasons before they came, but they never seemed to "click" during this season, and instead of improving with time and games the opposite happened. Markovic was mostly played out of position, Moreno looks like a kid from the u18 that found himself in the first team unexpectedly. 

Lallana is a good technician that can score goals, but it is obvious every time he plays that his role in the team is not clarified. Lovren started bad and then disappeared, even though we played 3 centre backs. Perhaps he should have been given a bit more time, giving the chance to Can to play in the midfield, either as a DM or as wing-back and Markovic further up the pitch.

Balotelli is the one move that made no sense, and was clearly a bad idea. We should have gone for a top striker instead of the worst possible one.

Anyway, the transfers were not as bad as people make them out to be, but we totally failed to make good use of them. Injuries did not help.

Transfer incompetence does not equal transfer target player discussion/gossip in respect to those not players not at LFC  :)

Offline fewmin' bedwetter

• Would appear to have great expectations......
  • Kopite
It's funny how often this is thrown in Brendan's face, considering Markovic was really struggling as an attacker and only hit form when he moved to wing back.

But hey, it's not the position he played before he signed so Rodgers must be daft to put him there.

And then after he looked good there, Brendan stopped playing him there. Just saying.
NEVER starts a sentence with, "So..."

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
Depay = Babel 2.0. I hope to Fowler we'll go nowhere near him.
It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan

And you are Dutch, so you should know :)

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
And you are Dutch, so you should know :)

Probably seen him more than pretty much anyone on here I guess. Overrated player who won't make the grade in a top league. Buying him for anywhere near the prices mentioned in the papers would be a complete catastrophy. A skills video of him bossing around some of the Mickey Mouse defenders in the Dutch league should indeed be taken for nothing more than that: a circus act.
« Last Edit: May 1, 2015, 12:22:41 pm by DutchRed »

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
Probably seen him more than pretty much anyone on here I guess. Overrated player who won't make the grade in a top league. Buying him for anywhere near the prices mentioned in the papers would be a complete catastrophy. A skills video of him bossing around some of the Mickey Mouse defenders in the Dutch league should indeed be taken for nothing more than that: a circus act.
The Dutch media seem to be taken with him nonetheless... And by 'the Dutch media', I mean the only pundits whose opinion I think is worth anything: Derksen and van der Gijp. ;D
« Last Edit: May 1, 2015, 12:41:34 pm by Henry Chinaski »
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
I just don't know where we are anymore or where we are going and I've felt that way since the summer really. I don't know how people can comment with any degree of certainty what's right or wrong for the Club going forward.

I have felt from the summer that there has been so much negativity around the Club and the players, especially Gerrard, that this season was always going to be hard and we just had to fight our way through it. I haven't been happy with large parts of it but I haven't let it get me down.

The negativity surrounding Gerrard, which has dragged on all season whether we liked it or not, then Gerrard announcing he was leaving and more pressure being heaped on him and the players to do something 'special' for him, crashing out of the CL, being piss poor in the EL, having so many injuries particularly with Sturridge, Sterling and Henderson's contract situation and facing this season without Suarez - all of it has been hard to deal with.

We scored 101 PL goals last season, with Suarez and Sturridge getting 52 between them. We essentially lost that this season. It was always going to be hard to replicate that, that's why we all wanted a better defence, a better defensive midfielder in place and someone who can compete with Sturridge who can chip in with goals. We got a slightly better defensive performance on stats alone, but no-one to help out with the goals. Whose fault that is has been discussed to the death on here.

I just don't think any amount of money could have prepared us for losing Suarez and then Sturridge to injury. And Gerrard to an extent too, with his goals and set pieces. You can't magic that back. Add to the mix a host of players coming in and needing time to settle, some not setting at all and some being absolute disappointments.

It's alot for a mananger and a Club to manage. What other Club would have had that upheavel to then go and challenge again or finish top 4?

We peaked too soon IMO. We put the accelerators on and went for it, and then it fell apart. Players left, egos were dinted and there has just been a total sense of failure and negativity around the Club.

I love Steven Gerrard and everything he has done for this football Club. I will miss him and I will remember him forever. But I cannot wait until he leaves. We need that downer surrounding him gone and off our shoulders. I am personally finding it hard to move on whilst he is here. I think that's why this season I've felt like I've taken a back seat as a fan and not got too invested in CL push or get my hopes up. I just want this season done with and I've felt that since last August.

Every single player needs time to settle and adapt - whether they move domestically or internationally and for me, Lallana, Moreno, Can, Lovren, Ballotelli, Markovic etc... are all the same. They need time to settle. Some have settled better than others and some could quite possibly leave in the summer. I don't think we'll see the best of those players until next season. But the biggest thing is the manager finding a system he can identify with and the players slip into.

We have far too many players who 'can do a job' and not enough masters in those positions. Again, injuries play their part but when you bring on a new signing, a winger (Markovic) to play through the middle of the pitch to give you an outlet with the ball, when your best ball-playing midfield (Can) is sitting in defence, then you start to ponder whether the manager is entirely happy with the system or the personnel. He needs to get that right and he needs to start playing people in the natural positions.

Don't have a decent right back? Go and buy one. Don't have a decent striker? Go and buy one. I am so fucking fed up watching Ibe, Markovic, Lallana, Sterling etc... playing wing back. Or Countinho or Sterling upfront alone. It doesn't work.

Find your system, drop your ego and let players you brought in go if you need to, and sign the right players for the system. Don't go the Harry Redknapp route of throwing enough shit against the wall in the hope that some of it will stick. If we want progression then we need to progress and we won't do that by filling round holes with square pegs.

Personally, if we can get £30m for Balotelli, Borini, Aspas, Coates, Alberto, Enrique, Lovren then I would take it and spend it on a striker, and give them Steven Gerrard's wages. And Johnson's too if need be.

We desperately need better resources upfront.

Sterling, Ibe, Coutinho, Markovic and Lallana are a decent set of options playing across the front 3 behind a striker. Sturridge, another goalscorer and someone like Danny Ings would be plentiful IMO.

Ideally, we would sign a quality goalkeeper, rightback and defensive midfielder too but the number one, absolute priority has to be a striker.

Brendan deserves another season at this. My only concern is that we don't have the bottle for it and that makes signing the correct players this time around massively important. Winners - in whatever form they come in.

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
Ajax fan by any chance?

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Well this is in pretty stark contrast to popular opinion on here.

Someone tell an uneducated person who's never seen him play which opinion is correct?

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan

to be honest I think Babel would get a lot of games in our current side.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
I just don't know where we are anymore or where we are going and I've felt that way since the summer really. I don't know how people can comment with any degree of certainty what's right or wrong for the Club going forward.

I have felt from the summer that there has been so much negativity around the Club and the players, especially Gerrard, that this season was always going to be hard and we just had to fight our way through it. I haven't been happy with large parts of it but I haven't let it get me down.

The negativity surrounding Gerrard, which has dragged on all season whether we liked it or not, then Gerrard announcing he was leaving and more pressure being heaped on him and the players to do something 'special' for him, crashing out of the CL, being piss poor in the EL, having so many injuries particularly with Sturridge, Sterling and Henderson's contract situation and facing this season without Suarez - all of it has been hard to deal with.

We scored 101 PL goals last season, with Suarez and Sturridge getting 52 between them. We essentially lost that this season. It was always going to be hard to replicate that, that's why we all wanted a better defence, a better defensive midfielder in place and someone who can compete with Sturridge who can chip in with goals. We got a slightly better defensive performance on stats alone, but no-one to help out with the goals. Whose fault that is has been discussed to the death on here.

I just don't think any amount of money could have prepared us for losing Suarez and then Sturridge to injury. And Gerrard to an extent too, with his goals and set pieces. You can't magic that back. Add to the mix a host of players coming in and needing time to settle, some not setting at all and some being absolute disappointments.

It's alot for a mananger and a Club to manage. What other Club would have had that upheavel to then go and challenge again or finish top 4?

We peaked too soon IMO. We put the accelerators on and went for it, and then it fell apart. Players left, egos were dinted and there has just been a total sense of failure and negativity around the Club.

I love Steven Gerrard and everything he has done for this football Club. I will miss him and I will remember him forever. But I cannot wait until he leaves. We need that downer surrounding him gone and off our shoulders. I am personally finding it hard to move on whilst he is here. I think that's why this season I've felt like I've taken a back seat as a fan and not got too invested in CL push or get my hopes up. I just want this season done with and I've felt that since last August.

Every single player needs time to settle and adapt - whether they move domestically or internationally and for me, Lallana, Moreno, Can, Lovren, Ballotelli, Markovic etc... are all the same. They need time to settle. Some have settled better than others and some could quite possibly leave in the summer. I don't think we'll see the best of those players until next season. But the biggest thing is the manager finding a system he can identify with and the players slip into.

We have far too many players who 'can do a job' and not enough masters in those positions. Again, injuries play their part but when you bring on a new signing, a winger (Markovic) to play through the middle of the pitch to give you an outlet with the ball, when your best ball-playing midfield (Can) is sitting in defence, then you start to ponder whether the manager is entirely happy with the system or the personnel. He needs to get that right and he needs to start playing people in the natural positions.

Don't have a decent right back? Go and buy one. Don't have a decent striker? Go and buy one. I am so fucking fed up watching Ibe, Markovic, Lallana, Sterling etc... playing wing back. Or Countinho or Sterling upfront alone. It doesn't work.

Find your system, drop your ego and let players you brought in go if you need to, and sign the right players for the system. Don't go the Harry Redknapp route of throwing enough shit against the wall in the hope that some of it will stick. If we want progression then we need to progress and we won't do that by filling round holes with square pegs.

Personally, if we can get £30m for Balotelli, Borini, Aspas, Coates, Alberto, Enrique, Lovren then I would take it and spend it on a striker, and give them Steven Gerrard's wages. And Johnson's too if need be.

We desperately need better resources upfront.

Sterling, Ibe, Coutinho, Markovic and Lallana are a decent set of options playing across the front 3 behind a striker. Sturridge, another goalscorer and someone like Danny Ings would be plentiful IMO.

Ideally, we would sign a quality goalkeeper, rightback and defensive midfielder too but the number one, absolute priority has to be a striker.

Brendan deserves another season at this. My only concern is that we don't have the bottle for it and that makes signing the correct players this time around massively important. Winners - in whatever form they come in.

Fantastic post.

The only bit I'd marginally take issue with is the thing which prompted me to post the thing in the first instance which is that I really do think I've seen mountains of evidence this seson telling me that a pair of fast mobile attacking/goalscoring players could very easily and readily been acquired by the club to at least go some way towards replacing what Suarez and Sturridge gave us. As it is we have not even fielded once this season an attack worthy of the name.

Also don't forget Origi in your vision of next season - from what I've seen I think he has all the ingredients in place to really make a difference

As it is I blame the club. Others blame Rodgers. As you say it has been done to death - and possibly nobody does know anything for sure - but your post signifies that folks could if they wanted to formulate posts which offer a fresh and interesting slant on things.

Well in Ciara.

:)
« Last Edit: May 1, 2015, 01:07:16 pm by Timbo's Goals »

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We'll sign some players in the mid table bracket hoping they'll come good in a few years. We'll finish 5th-7th next year, the year after we'll have a tilt at CL football, then back to 5th-7th again. Won't matter who's manager. Start getting used to it.

What were you predicting at the beginning of last season?

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
Ajax fan by any chance?

Can't care for them if I try to be honest. Remember being equally baffled when we bought Babel. And over the moon when we got Suarez and Kuyt. I hope he's going to warm Man Utd's bench rather than ours.

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
LIVERPOOL -- Brendan Rodgers has defended Liverpool's transfer committee despite claims that it is holding the club back.

Former Reds midfielder Jan Molby told the Liverpool Echo on Friday that it was time to scrap the committee because "it hasn't worked."

Rodgers has the final say on signings, but they are identified by a committee consisting of the manager, chief executive Ian Ayre, director Mike Gordon, head of analysis Michael Edwards, head of recruitment Dave Fallows and chief scout Barry Hunter.Liverpool's transfer activity last summer, in the wake of the sale of Luis Suarez to Barcelona last summer, has come in for criticism.

Eight players were brought in to play for the club this season -- along with striker Divock Origi, who was loaned back to Lille for a year -- with limited success.

There were suggestions earlier this season that American owners Fenway Sports Group were planning a summer review of the committee, but Rodgers said that he feels the people within the system are doing a good job.

He said: "When I came to Liverpool, I knew 100 percent the model of how the club worked -- but on top of that we've got a really good team of people here. They're good guys who work very, very well.

"We all work well together and understand the model of the club and how it all functions. We have to look at it over the summer and work out what's going to help our squad, and to put up a better challenge for next season, a more consistent challenge. That's something we'll work together on."
Liverpool are fifth in the Premier League ahead of Saturday's home game against relegation-threatened Queens Park Rangers.

The club are unlikely to qualify for next season's Champions League, with only four games left to make up a seven-point gap on fourth-placed Manchester United.

Asked how that might impact on Liverpool's summer transfer plans, Rodgers said: "I haven't thought about that to be honest."

Speaking more generally on how significant missing out on Champions League football would be, the manager said: "It will be a disappointment but we would have to regroup again the summer and look to put up a better challenge the following season. That's how it remains.

"But it will never be over until the final whistle blows. We will continue to fight. As we've seen in the past, over many years, there can always be twists that take place.

"We have to work to the end of the season and see where it takes us."

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The start of last season I was predicting the same, and suarez dragged us on his heels to something wonderful. Until we unearth a gem at his level we'll be finishing 5th-7th for a fair while. Look at the last 10 years, this season is the norm, not the exception. The exception was last season, 08/09 and Istanbul. Pretty much every other season was mediocre in terms of what we'd expect. It's not changing soon. We'll do the odd run here and there, maybe win a cup at some point but our days at the top, top table as a dynasty aren't coming back any time soon. I like FSG. I like being run within our means, I like Henry and I like seeing photographs of his missus. But we're bang average and likely to stay that way until some offensively wealthy person takes us over.

No oil Baron would have pumped anymore money than FSG into player acquisitions due FFP.
We need to be smarter how we spend our money, maybe even a smarter manager!

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
How about player wages?

That's included in FFP.

Offline flinner

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
LIVERPOOL -- Brendan Rodgers has defended Liverpool's transfer committee despite claims that it is holding the club back.

Former Reds midfielder Jan Molby told the Liverpool Echo on Friday that it was time to scrap the committee because "it hasn't worked."

Rodgers has the final say on signings, but they are identified by a committee consisting of the manager, chief executive Ian Ayre, director Mike Gordon, head of analysis Michael Edwards, head of recruitment Dave Fallows and chief scout Barry Hunter.Liverpool's transfer activity last summer, in the wake of the sale of Luis Suarez to Barcelona last summer, has come in for criticism.

Eight players were brought in to play for the club this season -- along with striker Divock Origi, who was loaned back to Lille for a year -- with limited success.

There were suggestions earlier this season that American owners Fenway Sports Group were planning a summer review of the committee, but Rodgers said that he feels the people within the system are doing a good job.

He said: "When I came to Liverpool, I knew 100 percent the model of how the club worked -- but on top of that we've got a really good team of people here. They're good guys who work very, very well.

"We all work well together and understand the model of the club and how it all functions. We have to look at it over the summer and work out what's going to help our squad, and to put up a better challenge for next season, a more consistent challenge. That's something we'll work together on."
Liverpool are fifth in the Premier League ahead of Saturday's home game against relegation-threatened Queens Park Rangers.

The club are unlikely to qualify for next season's Champions League, with only four games left to make up a seven-point gap on fourth-placed Manchester United.

Asked how that might impact on Liverpool's summer transfer plans, Rodgers said: "I haven't thought about that to be honest."

Speaking more generally on how significant missing out on Champions League football would be, the manager said: "It will be a disappointment but we would have to regroup again the summer and look to put up a better challenge the following season. That's how it remains.

"But it will never be over until the final whistle blows. We will continue to fight. As we've seen in the past, over many years, there can always be twists that take place.

Deluded, so who's to blame the owners?. Seems were Living in Hope more than anything, no direction at all.

"We've created an environment where a complete moron can not only survive, but thrive."

Offline jordyball10

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
The start of last season I was predicting the same, and suarez dragged us on his heels to something wonderful. Until we unearth a gem at his level we'll be finishing 5th-7th for a fair while. Look at the last 10 years, this season is the norm, not the exception. The exception was last season, 08/09 and Istanbul. Pretty much every other season was mediocre in terms of what we'd expect. It's not changing soon. We'll do the odd run here and there, maybe win a cup at some point but our days at the top, top table as a dynasty aren't coming back any time soon. I like FSG. I like being run within our means, I like Henry and I like seeing photographs of his missus. But we're bang average and likely to stay that way until some offensively wealthy person takes us over.

Good post, this is basically it in a nutshell, every season it is City, Chelsea, Utd, Arsenal well every season apart from last..... All 4 clubs pay top wages for top players, we don't seem to do this and if we don't start doing we will fall too far behind and it will be very hard to get back to the level we want to be. Many people will disagree and say its not all about paying top money but it obviously is as the league table does not lie.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool

Er okay brendan me old china - pick which you want - is it to be tripe and onions or Tripe and radish?

can't I have steak and chips?

nah. sorry mate - tripe and onions or tripe and radish it is.

Er - eeny meeny miny mo - ok I'll take the tripe and onions.

Right. Ian'll just tell them to add a few more million to the fee and we'll get him here.

Coo - ta muchly. What a great bunch you fellas are, leaving the final say to me.

Don't mention it. You're the fuckin boss pal.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
No oil Baron would have pumped anymore money than FSG into player acquisitions due FFP.
We need to be smarter how we spend our money, maybe even a smarter manager!

An oil baron would sponsor the club using one of his subsidiary companies to the tune of say £400 million, enough to push the FFP limit to enable continued financial doping(the Man city model), but that is beside the point.
Yes you could still do better with a 100m than what you did.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
Yes you could still do better with a 100m than what you did.

;D

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan

No acknowledgement by Rodgers that the committee has done absolutely deplorably for this season.

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
Er okay brendan me old china - pick which you want - is it to be tripe and onions or Tripe and radish?

can't I have steak and chips?

nah. sorry mate - tripe and onions or tripe and radish it is.

Er - eeny meeny miny mo - ok I'll take the tripe and onions.

Right. Ian'll just tell them to add a few more million to the fee and we'll get him here.

Coo - ta muchly. What a great bunch you fellas are, leaving the final say to me.

Don't mention it. You're the fuckin boss pal.

The worrying thing for me is this - i dont think Brendan has a good eye for a player either. It feels like NONE of them should be making decisions and we need to get in a well respected DOF.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
How many of those were set pieces Milton mate?

I am a total arse on here at times, but i get bored of after 165 pages, people not recognising the real issue here. Neither of your two players were a real solution last summer.

Did I miss the memo that said Liverpool don't get free kicks or penalties anymore?

Those are the two players we have, they aren't my players, nor would they have been my preference to buy last summer, but it's what is in the squad and a return similar to what they had last year for either of them, would have us in fourth right now.