Author Topic: The unravelling. A team, manager and fans shafted by transfer incompetence  (Read 585967 times)

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
He has to be stronger if that is the case and say "No one else? - that's bollocks, go find me someone else who suits the way we play".

I'm sorry he is as accountable as anyone and he can't hide behind this committee.

No he can't because he's on it. My point has been that the committee set up isn't working for us and that needs to change - but it's not solely on him because he didn't set the committee up, he's not the only one on it and he's not getting all the players he wants and some of the ones he ultimately doesn't want, final say or not. It's alright saying he's weak but saying yes to Balotelli or ending up with no striker/forward with the club having apparently failed to get Falcao and certainly Sanchez would've been quite the risk too.

Offline LFC UNTIL THE MANAGER IS NO LONGER DESERVING OF MY SYMPATHY

• Everyone's shit. Especially me...Yeah! LFC for Life. He takes everything up to date and on the chin.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
the interesting query is

"what is our style of play" it has changed dramatically over the last 3 years
year 1 we played possession( death by football)
last year we blitzed teams in first 20 minutes
year 3 I am actually not sure cos it changes from match to match

Good question. 

Not sure Rodgers knows, which is part of the problem.
@LFC4LIFENET

• Everyone's shit. Especially me...Yeah! LFC for Life. He takes everything up to date and on the chin.
  • Legacy Fan
No he can't because he's on it. My point has been that the committee set up isn't working for us and that needs to change - but it's not solely on him because he didn't set the committee up, he's not the only one on it and he's not getting all the players he wants and some of the ones he ultimately doesn't want, final say or not. It's alright saying he's weak but saying yes to Balotelli or ending up with no striker/forward with the club having apparently failed to get Falcao and certainly Sanchez would've been quite the risk too.

Well he is weak, if your example is right.

I am not defending The Committee here, they need to go as well.  They are all accountable.
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline Stan.

• drinks warm piss, and come back to him when Owen actually joins utd. Until then leeeeeave Micky aloooone!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
This speaks to the fickleness of football supporters.

One season Dejan Lovren is the anti-christ (much like the Skrtel junk spewed around here a few years ago) and the next who knows?

Is it possible, linear thinkers, that Rodgers could be right and wrong, just at different periods in time.  For example, Rodgers and Sturridge.

Sturridge signs and is warned this is his last chance.  He responds by having a pretty good January transfer period to the end of the season with a few minor injuries.  Then, he really takes off in partnership with Suarez, which is in large part to Rodgers and the problems SAS present for defenders (although, there were periods where he was injured.  However, he was justified with a small transfer and Brendan made it work.   And then we have this year.   

Brendan, the TC, supporters and anyone who has watched, has seen Daniel justify his transfer time and time again, but then when he is asked to be the guy without Suarez ---- he has natural injuries which make playing an entire season difficult.  Is Rodgers right?  Is he wrong?  This is a stupid parlor game.   

If football teaches us anything (see Mignolet for prime examples) mistakes and errors occur all the time which cause us to reevaluate our decisions.  Its called feedback.  But we need not involve ourselves in a loop of feedback which confirms our own bias.  The truth is that our decisions are often both positive and negative.  Luis Suarez had some negatives, no.  But we overlook them because he scores goals.

Then why not the same for a young or new player trying to bed in.  Can looks like a gem, but what if this is the best he ever plays?  The facts are always murky.  Trying to make them linear and then hold our gaffer to account on each one is an exercise in confirmation bias.

When Rodgers' time at Liverpool is done, we will know it.  That time is not now.  Give him some attackers and lets see how our attacking coach gets along.   But this back and forth about all of his comment in one scenario and now misses the complexity of how players change, adapt and learn.  Let's not be like those oligarchs who use money to shit on football (calling it results).  We have a chance to replicate/resuscitate our performances from only a year removed.  Let's not trip over the linear thinking on the way.

Ummm...I just concurred he was on the committee himself and therefore (rightly) has some sort of say in transfer matters. Hence the Sturridge example, being the most widely reported insight into his input there.  My point being it's not simply 'either or' as to who's to blame if signings don't work out.  I wasn't using the Sturridge example as a stick to beat him with, even if it seemed that way.
Someday soon everyone will know the truth.  96 never forgotten.

Offline robgomm

• Legacy Fan
I think the last thing is rather obvious that it works like that. In any group with shared responsibility and power it functions like that.

I reckon all our various scouts recommends a bunch of players to the committee/Rodgers, etc (+ of course players each individual brings forth without the need of scouts). And each member of the committee brings forward a couple of names each for evaluation, which then they as a group takes a decision on.

And from all reports Rodgers then has the final decision and can also veto any decision. Unless you are one of those who are lead to believe that Rodgers doesn't have those powers within the group but is a puppet among big scary American steered ex City scouts, etc.

I don't think he's a puppet. I don't think his final decision means a huge amount though (based on what little we know) and I don't think the committee is in unison. That needs sorting.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
It's hundreds of pages of pure speculation of how the committee might possibly work when the man himself has said numerous times 'I have final say I don't allow anyone to sign who I don't want'

I don't remember such an amount of apologists for Rafa, and he won us the fucking European Cup!!!
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline robgomm

• Legacy Fan
Well he is weak, if your example is right.

I am not defending The Committee here, they need to go as well.  They are all accountable.

I'm not sure how it's solely on him if they've failed to, in your idea of the set up, failed to bring him the kind of player he's asked for. And he should keep shouting at them until they do? Bear in mind there's a season coming up and work to do in preseason.

Anyway, if you think they should all go it makes for a clear position regardless. That's fair enough.

Offline muyuu

• Google Groomer. reddit remain campaigner.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Rafa - fact
In any case I'll be very worried if there are no changes in the structure of the club by next transfer window. This is a shambles right now.
"Chelsea have confirmed that their interim fans will leave the club when Roman Abramovich does"
-sinnermichael

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=303961.msg11432382#msg11432382

Offline robgomm

• Legacy Fan
It's hundreds of pages of pure speculation of how the committee might possibly work when the man himself has said numerous times 'I have final say I don't allow anyone to sign who I don't want'

I don't remember such an amount of apologists for Rafa, and he won us the fucking European Cup!!!

It's not being an apologist. He has his share of responsibility to take, if the club deem it enough to sack him then so be it. But it's not just on him and I'm sick of trying to explain how final says can be far less meaningful than they sound and don't mean someone has total control. But whatever. I just want us to get the right singings in summer and the club to sort it in the background so that happens.

• Legacy Fan
I'm not sure how it's solely on him if they've failed to, in your idea of the set up, failed to bring him the kind of player he's asked for. And he should keep shouting at them until they do? Bear in mind there's a season coming up and work to do in preseason.

Well we ultimately don't know what exactly happened.

What we do know is they targeted Sanchez & Remy... then after that we seemed to have few options. 

But we agreed a fee with Milan on 21st August, the window doesn't shut for another 10 days and I can't believe it was Balotelli or no one. 

If it is that's staggering.
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
Ummm...I just concurred he was on the committee himself and therefore (rightly) has some sort of say in transfer matters. Hence the Sturridge example, being the most widely reported insight into his input there.  My point being it's not simply 'either or' as to who's to blame if signings don't work out.  I wasn't using the Sturridge example as a stick to beat him with, even if it seemed that way.

Sounds good then.  At times, I pounce first, utilize reading comprehension tactics second. 

The football experience is to be run down, and then polished up to only be beaten back down again.  This is what I love about Stevie G so much, he gets back up to fight after getting knocked down time and time again.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
You really don't pull your Pontious!
I dont even know what that means ;D

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
Good question. 

Not sure Rodgers knows, which is part of the problem.

The style of play hasn't changed at all. Same principles from day one. What we saw last season was the zenith of those principles - high pressure defending, quick and mobile attack, passes to feet and space, mobile midfield and aggressive fullbacks.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Loo Pan

• Lower Cooker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Heavy Metal Football
They didn`t. Alexis and Remy were early on in the window. Club needed to fight tooth and nail to lure Alexis even if it meant exorbitant wage offer.

They did.

They should of been selling this club to Sanchez before last season even ended, if they really wanted him. He was always going to be in demand.

Early in the transfer window, we moved for Lallana, Lovren and Lambert, not Sanchez.

Offline robgomm

• Legacy Fan
Well we ultimately don't know what exactly happened.

What we do know is they targeted Sanchez & Remy... then after that we seemed to have few options. 

But we agreed a fee with Milan on 21st August, the window doesn't shut for another 10 days and I can't believe it was Balotelli or no one. 

If it is that's staggering.

Balotelli or Eto'o if some of the journos are to be believed. Miserable failure by the club, just miserable. Whether any single person is responsible or not I don't know but it needs sorting.

• Legacy Fan
The style of play hasn't changed at all. Same principles from day one. What we saw last season was the zenith of those principles - high pressure defending, quick and mobile attack, passes to feet and space, mobile midfield and aggressive fullbacks.

I think he certainly changed his style in the first season after we bought Sturridge and Coutinho.  It was less about possession and we started hitting ball forward quicker, rather than slowly round the back.

This season we've been too slow round the back again for my liking, which doesn't help our attacking play. 
@LFC4LIFENET

• Legacy Fan
Balotelli or Eto'o if some of the journos are to be believed. Miserable failure by the club, just miserable. Whether any single person is responsible or not I don't know but it needs sorting.

Yep pathetic all round.

I think the signing of Lambert was equally as pathetic personally, someone else who didn't suit the way we played, which for a third choice striker is criminal.
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline naka

• Lennart Skoglund Ultra
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
POP the style has changed
you cant say we are as aggressive as we were last year
we have become pensive, slow,  moving side to side, with no penetration at all
year one we didn't have the personnel but I had an idea what he was trying
year two we attacked and counterattacked and ok we had suarez
year 3 we haven't used any of the principals you suggest
if last year was the zenith Hull , West Brom Villa this year has been the nadir

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
POP the style has changed
you cant say we are as aggressive as we were last year
we have become pensive, slow,  moving side to side, with no penetration at all
year one we didn't have the personnel but I had an idea what he was trying
year two we attacked and counterattacked and ok we had suarez
year 3 we haven't used any of the principals you suggest
if last year was the zenith Hull , West Brom Villa this year has been the nadir

That's not a change in the style of play though. That's just very badly executed style of play.

A change in style of play would be if we became a long ball team, or if we defended in two banks of four in 90 minutes, or if we suddenly began to rely on crosses to generate chances.

We're still passing it the same way, through the same areas, with the same principles. We're just doing it very, very badly this season

Offline Redric1970

• Legacy Fan
Lucky man. I got all the way to 'I hope Sterling leaves'.

We have a major tendency as fans to overrate our own players if you think everything is fine ok, the sterling issue for me isn't about his talent, that's not in question, but his attitude isn't great and the way he is leading the club a merry dance with regard his contract for me is to much, who does he think he is, as for Lucas no question he's a good pro but for me personally we can do better, here's a list of games against the top four this season and against the two teams who finished above us in the champions league.

Man City (a) 3-1 lose
Real Madrid (h) 0-3 lose
Real Madrid (a) 1-0 lose
Basel (h) 1-1 draw
Arsenal (h) 2-2 draw
Basel (a) 1-0 lose
Chelsea (h) 1-1 draw
Chelsea (a) 1-0 lose (cup)
Man City (h) 2-1 win
Man Utd (h) 1-2 lose
Arsenal (a) 4-1 lose

We lost every away game and only won 1 of 11, we went out of the fa cup to Aston villa, the champions league to Basel and the Europa league to Beşiktaş, the problem is a lot deeper than needing a goalscorer.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 05:23:45 pm by Redric1970 »

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
We're just doing it very, very badly this season

Why?

(Don't just say lack of strikers)
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I want to interject something into the discussion about the dismantling.

What if Raheem is not greedy for money, but he is running interference for Rodgers to get in a few more players.  Rodgers has less leverage than Sterling does at this point, as Raheem can say look at all this work I had to do last year because we did not have the support we needed.

He can also say: if I am going to sign any long term contract, I want assurances that there are going to be some pieces that fit instead having me all over the place.  This helps Rodgers as he wants the same thing.  And it attacks management's weakness which is the very essence of the club dictum, building their reputation on developing and keeping young players through their system of identification and the academy.

While the wage issue is largely talked about, it could be a smokescreen as the Summer window is the most important time where Team Brendan/Raheem could affect a significant outcome from resistant officials. 

This is pure speculation on many fronts, but with Gerrard leaving, I bet he is telling the young players to influence the lockerroom and board room in ways that he wished he had done earlier (after watching Masch, Torres, Xabi and entire troop of players leave Anfield under the dark lords of H&G).

This could be pish posh too, as I do not know Aidy Ward or their tactics, but this story has dragged out so long and into the summer, one wonders what they are really arguing over --- probably not the excess 50K wage/week figure that constantly gets reported. 

I do not think Rodgers has lost the locker room.  Instead, I wonder if the players are trying to help behind the scenes to get players in as they know how special this team can be. 

After that first forward is signed, I would not be surprised to see Raheem's contract being penned on the website.

Thoughts? 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 05:20:34 pm by Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
Why?

(Don't just say lack of strikers)

Lack of strikers and other things

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
Sorry mate, the simple answer is nearly always correct, however attractive conspiracies may seem.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Sorry mate, the simple answer is nearly always correct, however attractive conspiracies may seem.

Stop using this phrase --- conspiracy theory.  It is one of the most misused phrases of propaganda out there.

We have incomplete information.  We some basic facts and they do not add up to player greed, which is the marketing.

I know that Rodgers has spoken at length about his relationship with Raheem (and loyalty is big in football, especially among gaffers who help you get into the starting line up, play you as an attack midfielder at Man U, and get you a foothold in the national team). 

And lest we forget, when Raheem was tired in the fall, who had his back?  It was not his agent, it was Rodgers who challenged RH publicly about the use of Sterling and Sturridge.  (Henderson too if I remember him picking up a knock).

The way things are playing out, Rodgers has had to know how frustrating it has been for Raheem this season.  My guess is that they work together solve problems as most managers-players.  And when the management hat (TC) is put on by Rodgers, he is honest with the players.

Talk me out of it, but do not give me the simplistic bull shit argument.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Bogman

• Legacy Fan

What if Raheem is not greedy for money, but he is running interference for Rodgers to get in a few more players.  Rodgers has less leverage than Sterling does at this point, as Raheem can say look at all this work I had to do last year because we did not have the support we needed.

He can also say: if I am going to sign any long term contract, I want assurances that there are going to be some pieces that fit instead having me all over the place.  This helps Rodgers as he wants the same thing.  And it attacks management's weakness which is the very essence of the club dictum, building their reputation on developing and keeping young players through their system of identification and the academy.

While the wage issue is largely talked about, it could be a smokescreen as the Summer window is the most important time where Team Brendan/Raheem could affect a significant outcome from resistant officials. 

This is pure speculation on many fronts, but with Gerrard leaving, I bet he is telling the young players to influence the lockerroom and board room in ways that he wished he had done earlier (after watching Masch, Torres, Xabi and entire troop of players leave Anfield under the dark lords of H&G).

This could be pish posh too, as I do not know Aidy Ward or their tactics, but this story has dragged out so long and into the summer, one wonders what they are really arguing over --- probably not the excess 50K wage/week figure that constantly gets reported. 

I do not think Rodgers has lost the locker room.  Instead, I wonder if the players are trying to help behind the scenes to get players in as they know how special this team can be. 

After that first forward is signed, I would not be surprised to see Raheem's contract being penned on the website.

Thoughts? 

Nice theory(s).

Not going to dissect it, but it's all a flight of fancy.
Looking forward to being proved wrong though.

I saw Saddam's hanging on YouTube and it made me think. It made me think... is there nothing on the Internet that I won't masturbate to?

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
Stop using this phrase --- conspiracy theory.  It is one of the most misused phrases of propaganda out there.

We have incomplete information.  We some basic facts and they do not add up to player greed, which is the marketing.

I know that Rodgers has spoken at length about his relationship with Raheem (and loyalty is big in football, especially among gaffers who help you get into the starting line up, play you as an attack midfielder at Man U, and get you a foothold in the national team). 

And lest we forget, when Raheem was tired in the fall, who had his back?  It was not his agent, it was Rodgers who challenged RH publicly about the use of Sterling and Sturridge.  (Henderson too if I remember him picking up a knock).

The way things are playing out, Rodgers has had to know how frustrating it has been for Raheem this season.  My guess is that they work together solve problems as most managers-players.  And when the management hat (TC) is put on by Rodgers, he is honest with the players.

Talk me out of it, but do not give me the simplistic bull shit argument.

If Rodgers instructed Sterling to give an unauthorized by the club interview in which he was borderline disrespectful to the club and then lied himself when asked if he was aware of the interview before it happened, then Rodgers should be fired on the spot.
Also Berahino, who has the same agent, used pretty much an identical set of tactics to try and force a move out of a West Brom.
Again the obvious answer is usually what actually happened.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline naka

• Lennart Skoglund Ultra
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
That's not a change in the style of play though. That's just very badly executed style of play.

A change in style of play would be if we became a long ball team, or if we defended in two banks of four in 90 minutes, or if we suddenly began to rely on crosses to generate chances.

We're still passing it the same way, through the same areas, with the same principles. We're just doing it very, very badly this season
ok I accept that we haven't radically changed our system but we have regressed drastically form last year
I don't actually see the same principals
there is no hunting down the ball, no blitzkrieg and our midfield has been static this year
I wont go into the issues up front

Offline muyuu

• Google Groomer. reddit remain campaigner.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Rafa - fact

Then it's even worse. He'd be telling us he's above this club and he's wasting himself at it.
"Chelsea have confirmed that their interim fans will leave the club when Roman Abramovich does"
-sinnermichael

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=303961.msg11432382#msg11432382

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
ok I accept that we haven't radically changed our system but we have regressed drastically form last year
I don't actually see the same principals
there is no hunting down the ball, no blitzkrieg and our midfield has been static this year
I wont go into the issues up front

Pressure starts from the front though. If the forwards aren't pressing well, and midfield overcommits to compensate, then they leave massive gaps that get exploited, so the end result is a midfield that sits off and plays right on top of their own defenders, which means the forwards get isolated, because they are not pressing well, which forces the midfield to drop off, etc. It becomes a nauseating cycle of self-sabotage.

Offline naka

• Lennart Skoglund Ultra
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Pressure starts from the front though. If the forwards aren't pressing well, and midfield overcommits to compensate, then they leave massive gaps that get exploited, so the end result is a midfield that sits off and plays right on top of their own defenders, which means the forwards get isolated, because they are not pressing well, which forces the midfield to drop off, etc. It becomes a nauseating cycle of self-sabotage.
ok I accept that with balotelli and lambert ( which means neither should have been bought)but the argument cant be said when we had ibe/coutinho/sterling/sturridge up front, we also had a front two last year and to be fair we haven't had a front two for most of this year

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
ok I accept that with balotelli and lambert ( which means neither should have been bought)but the argument cant be said when we had ibe/coutinho/sterling/sturridge up front, we also had a front two last year and to be fair we haven't had a front two for most of this year

When we had Sterling up front in the 3-4-3 we looked a lot closer to last season than at any other point, this season. We only lacked the goals compared to last season. But the pressing was there, the blitzkrieg, the mobility and the passing.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Then it's even worse. He'd be telling us he's above this club and he's wasting himself at it.

Tell Raheem that after playing with Mario for a full season.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead

Thoughts?
No way would Rogers ask a player to put his neck on the line for him like that. Raheem is jeopardising his entire future with us and reputation in general with this standoff.

Raheem, well it's possible he has taken this standoff in an effort to force the club to up their ambitions, so they are in accordance with his. Though, if that's the case he should have said that and not ask for 150k.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
If Rodgers instructed Sterling to give an unauthorized by the club interview in which he was borderline disrespectful to the club and then lied himself when asked if he was aware of the interview before it happened, then Rodgers should be fired on the spot.
Also Berahino, who has the same agent, used pretty much an identical set of tactics to try and force a move out of a West Brom.
Again the obvious answer is usually what actually happened.

No, I do not think Brendan told Raheem to specifically be disrespectful or to do interviews.  But the player-manager bond may be underrated in this case.

We see Coutinho, who is Raheem's best link up connection, sign right away.  We see Henderson balk for awhile, except he is quiet with the publicity.  And we see Raheem watching a living legend leave his club for LA.  The lad wants to win, who wouldn't in that environment. And either he sees Brendan as a resource, an obstacle or possibly sackable.   

The fact that Berahino's tactics are so similar can also point to some cover.  How much is Rodgers involved in something like this, probably not much.   All veteran players would have to do is council young Raheem to delay signing for a few months, take the crap and see if it can generate more pressure on management to bring someone in. 

All the other stuff is media trying to sell stories.   Then again, this might have less factual accuracy than a politicians promise. 

My instinct tells me that Raheem-Rodgers are tighter than we know.  You would have to be a cold, calculating young 20 year old to push this contract off to the Summer if it is about money after the season Liverpool have had, that is assuming he wants to stay.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
Then why not play Borini and continue playing our pressing game.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
Then why not play Borini and continue playing our pressing game.

Your guess is as good as mine. Why not keep playing Sterling too, in that role? I couldn't answer that one either.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
Your guess is as good as mine. Why not keep playing Sterling too, in that role? I couldn't answer that one either.
Well that's the other view. Rafa would always keep the shape, he wouldn't compromise everything to accommodate an injury to a key player. Rodgers baffles me with these poor choices, I don't know if it's naivety or stupidity. (no disrespect meant)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
No way would Rogers ask a player to put his neck on the line for him like that. Raheem is jeopardising his entire future with us and reputation in general with this standoff.

Raheem, well it's possible he has taken this standoff in an effort to force the club to up their ambitions, so they are in accordance with his. Though, if that's the case he should have said that and not ask for 150k.

How do you know he hasn't behind the scenes.  This is a way to take one on the chin in public and be someone influential within the club privately.  Why would he risk that to be seen in a better light.  This way FSG have to take his concern about money more seriously and they have to prepare for his exit.   And, Sterling can always back off of his demands giving the club a public relations victory over wages.

This summer, after the season, and this agent stuff about forcing Liverpool to sell this summer because of some arcane rule seems more like Kubuki theatre than player negotiations. 

Then again, maybe the relationship between the two is like the propaganda (Being Liverpool).

I do not see Raheem jeopardizing anything.  He is about as talented a 20 year old as there is the game at present.  He either wants money, power, success or all three in large quantities. 

The question is: what is his relationship with Brendan like.  My guess is that it is what Raheem says it is --- it is more about winning than the money.  And if he help his gaffer bring in a big time forward, then I suspect he would do it.  That's it --- no conspiracy, just loyalty.  Sterling has serious leverage --- and the other parties who want to see serious movement do not.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 06:25:03 pm by Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
How do you know he hasn't behind the scenes.  This is a way to take one on the chin in public and be someone influential within the club privately.  Why would he risk that to be seen in a better light.  This way FSG have to take his concern about money more seriously and they have to prepare for his exit.   And, Sterling can always back off of his demands giving the club a public relations victory over wages.

This summer, after the season, and this agent stuff about forcing Liverpool to sell this summer because of some arcane rule seems more like Kubuki theatre than player negotiations. 

Then again, maybe the relationship between the two is like the propaganda (Being Liverpool).
All Raheem has to say is "match my ambitions or I'm off". Instead, he's linking his name to money, more than it already needs be. He's risking always being associated with greed, rather than ambition and there's not a need to, unless it's true.

I don't think Rodgers would ever ask Raheem to ruin his image in order to keep himself in a job, and if he did. Well.... Let's not get into that.