Author Topic: Atmosphere at Anfield  (Read 1784783 times)

Offline your djemba djembas

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Atmosphere at Anfield
« Reply #14360 on: February 2, 2024, 04:29:03 pm »
Some parts of the Kop always look a bit bare. Mid right and left in particular

Offline Saus76

• Complete and utter embarrassment
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #14361 on: February 2, 2024, 08:07:27 pm »
Like I’ve said many times before. Is it that hard to bring a scarf the match?

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14362 on: February 2, 2024, 08:33:51 pm »
Like I’ve said many times before. Is it that hard to bring a scarf the match?

We need to turf more than a few out of The Kop.  Should be wall to wall red.  Excellent effort by many let down by the apathy of others.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #14363 on: February 2, 2024, 09:33:03 pm »
Maybe some of you didn’t experience the 70’s and 80’s, and what wearing your colours meant back then, as you got identified all to easily at the aways, so wearing your colours wasn’t the done thing. So some of us are brought up on a ‘ye don’t wear ye colours’ just a pin badge, kinda vibe.

It makes ye wonder who should be turfed off the kop, those not in colours, or those that don’t go home and away.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #14364 on: February 2, 2024, 09:41:03 pm »
Maybe some of you didn’t experience the 70’s and 80’s, and what wearing your colours meant back then, as you got identified all to easily at the aways, so wearing your colours wasn’t the done thing. So some of us are brought up on a ‘ye don’t wear ye colours’ just a pin badge, kinda vibe.

It makes ye wonder who should be turfed off the kop, those not in colours, or those that don’t go home and away.

I was on the Kop pretty regular in those years. Never a problem carrying a scarf to a home game, and I never heard of anyone who thought twice about it. The Kop began to look pretty shit in the 1980s because it was no longer 'cool' to wear colours or even sing. And those that did tended to bring green (can that have been true?) scarves. But you're not telling me that the old SK didn't look at its best in the '70s when practically everyone brought a scarf. Chelsea 2005 was a throw-back when the entire stand was in colours. (How did that happen?). 
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14365 on: February 2, 2024, 09:55:09 pm »
There is an assumption that implies that not wearing colours makes you some kind of less of a fan. The kop isn’t what it used to be we all know and see that, and in part, it’s due to old kopites being old, and being brought up knowing as I say, of what we did, and still do, so these lads are no lesser fans because they don’t wear their colours, some just didn’t and still don’t.

So my response to - who should be turfed off: those who don’t wear colours, or those who don’t go home and away, still stands.

Guess it’s how you show your allegiance; I show mine differently to scarf wearers.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14366 on: February 2, 2024, 10:21:33 pm »
There is an assumption that implies that not wearing colours makes you some kind of less of a fan.

Surely not! The assumption is the other way round. You're more off a fan if you go without. Scarves are for "tourists" etc. "I wear a pin badge, that's enough." etc
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14367 on: February 2, 2024, 10:22:51 pm »

So my response to - who should be turfed off: those who don’t wear colours, or those who don’t go home and away, still stands.

Neither!

Why would anyone be into banning Liverpool fans for doing the 'wrong' thing.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14368 on: February 2, 2024, 10:25:12 pm »
There is an assumption that implies that not wearing colours makes you some kind of less of a fan. The kop isn’t what it used to be we all know and see that, and in part, it’s due to old kopites being old, and being brought up knowing as I say, of what we did, and still do, so these lads are no lesser fans because they don’t wear their colours, some just didn’t and still don’t.

Guess it’s how you show your allegiance; I show mine differently to scarf wearers.

Miserable bastards who moan at everything should be turfed off, along with those who have the ability to but are not vocal.

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #14369 on: February 2, 2024, 10:31:52 pm »
Surely not! The assumption is the other way round. You're more off a fan if you go without. Scarves are for "tourists" etc. "I wear a pin badge, that's enough." etc

I have heard plenty of talk that wearing colours is wool behaviour which is a bit disappointing because if you take it to an extreme it means that a completely L postcode populated stand would just be dark coloured north face and under armour jackets and tops
Believer

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14370 on: February 2, 2024, 10:43:18 pm »

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14371 on: February 2, 2024, 10:45:09 pm »
Miserable bastards who moan at everything should be turfed off, along with those who have the ability to but are not vocal.

So everyone who moans gets lashed out, and everyone who doesn’t moan, gets lashed out, as well?

That leaves no one!  ;D

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14372 on: February 2, 2024, 11:05:24 pm »
I have heard plenty of talk that wearing colours is wool behaviour which is a bit disappointing because if you take it to an extreme it means that a completely L postcode populated stand would just be dark coloured north face and under armour jackets and tops

I don't know how wearing a scarf can be possibly deemed wool behaviour, given that any image of the Kop from the 60's until relatively recently was full of scarf wearing supporters. In the 70's as a teenager we all went with not only a scarf aroung our necks but with one on each wrist (usually those horrible 'satin' ones). I always wear mine even in the vocal wasteland L3 in the Main Stand.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14373 on: February 2, 2024, 11:34:03 pm »
Pitch looked a little rough tonight, no?
Did The tour last Saturday, guide said it was due to the rain v Newcastle
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14374 on: February 2, 2024, 11:51:26 pm »

Maybe Liverpool should change to all black home and all black away kits with the option of a black inspired third kit.   The whole Kop could then be a mass of black.  Everyone happy then.
We are Loyal Supporters

Online vblfc

• "Verily, behold! Liverpool Football Club!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic
« Reply #14375 on: February 3, 2024, 10:23:02 am »
Maybe if everyone had a scarf it would start to look like the “everyone waving a plastic flag” effect?  I like the flags and scarfs, some don’t. Good -  Anfield doesn’t suit uniformity. Also on that point - I like the sound of ur songs out of sync. It’s a product of our 4 distinct stands, all singing (a good thing) and doesn’t sound so bad. Our differences make us better.

Offline Kenrick_66

• Main Stander
« Reply #14376 on: February 3, 2024, 11:11:33 am »
I have to say that I think the away fans sound much less now with the new stand. Arguably to do with it being no roof, so the acoustics gets lost a bit. Lower anny was a very compact stand with a tight roof, perfect condition for away fans if you compare it with the blocks we usually get at other stadiums (Newcastle, or divided into two/three stands like goodison, city etc).
I have barely heard any away fans since the new stand opened.
So that is a positive, and that the upper stand seems to get a good atmosphere going.

Maybe SOS or Spion Kop lads could have a chat with someone in the club regarding YNWA, to get some clarification. In my opinion the best is to play it all the way so all the stands can keep in tune. Or at least play it 10 seconds longer after the first chorus so the stands dont start clapping and keeps the tempo with the "walk on walk on" ... then just fade away.

I only watch on TV unfortunately but have got the same impression since the new Annie opened - well, most of it. Certainly don't hear the away fans as much. Maybe the new stand has an affect on them. If there's Liverpool in the upper singing it probably subconsciously intimidates the aways so they're quieter. And yes Chelsea - didn't hear a peep from them the whole game - although they had nothing to sing about to be fair.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #14377 on: February 3, 2024, 11:17:56 am »
Can we all just agree to ban people who wear hoodies under a football top

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #14378 on: February 3, 2024, 11:37:35 am »

Totally agree . Last time  I wore a scarf was my HJC in Istanbul with my Shankly t shirt. Before that I honestly can't remember . Sometime in the early 80's.I use to have a bobble hat in the mid 80's . How did you wear yours Chopper ? Mine was with the bobble off and tucked in at the front and back  ;D

« Last Edit: February 3, 2024, 12:12:23 pm by kesey »
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14379 on: February 3, 2024, 04:31:00 pm »
...... because you can't hear the kop in the upper main all that well.
The desert of pie seeking mannequins in the central blocks of the main don't help either.
I've only been in the Upper Main once and that was a few years ago (I think I was with Rhi). My recollection is that I couldn't hear the Kop at all and basically you're all in your own environment with your self-made atmosphere.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14380 on: February 3, 2024, 04:40:48 pm »
Totally agree . Last time  I wore a scarf was my HJC in Istanbul with my Shankly t shirt. Before that I honestly can't remember . Sometime in the early 80's.I use to have a bobble hat in the mid 80's . How did you wear yours Chopper ? Mine was with the bobble off and tucked in at the front and back  ;D

You don't want to know where his bobble's been.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14381 on: February 3, 2024, 10:05:40 pm »

We changed all that in 1977/78 by redefining what was cool at matches.  We created a clearly Scouse image that in some respects still holds true to this day.  We didn’t want to hide and had no chance of doing so because we looked so different to everyone else.  In those days Scousers stood out a mile. 

But we still managed ski hats in the early 80s and had have more than our fair share of unique banners and flags over the years.

So it is not all about wearing a scarf, we can show our support in other ways. 
« Last Edit: February 3, 2024, 10:10:40 pm by andy07 »
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14382 on: February 3, 2024, 10:40:55 pm »
Took a turn this discussion.

What's the criteria for who gets lashed off the Kop? There isn't one and that poster should show some respect to the people who have served their time on it for 50 years.  It's decent enough when it wants or needs to be, indeed the whole ground is improving now.
We're not Palace or any other club with a fake undertone, Anfield makes it noise accordingly and appropriately.
When Sheffield Utd come we might be half-arsed insouciant and watch the game and listen to the daft wools sing "where's your famous atmosphere". Nobheads.
But when Man City come we'll make sure they know where they're fucking playing. Those c*nts will fucking know where they are.
There's a difference to every game and the Kop & the ground mustn't and shouldn't be criticised needlessly. They know when to make the noise and raise the roof.
And lets have it, the teams performances can be conducive to a good or bad atmosphere.
Fucking hell we've been over this a zillion times.

Re the scarfs, I haven't taken one for about 10 years at least, but every time I see mine in the drawer I think I should take it next time. I've never purposely swerved taking it because 'thats not what we do' Fuck that. Red and white, that's what we are. I'll take it if I want without any issue.
Truth be told, the fewer people show the colours the less of an impact and showcase for excellence Anfield is.

Red and white all over the land.

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #14383 on: February 4, 2024, 12:11:29 am »
I rarely take mine but decided to on Wednesday because it was flag day. Thought there'd be more about, especially as Ring of Fire seems to be getting a bit of an airing recently.

Can we get Montirex to make a scarf?
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14384 on: February 4, 2024, 11:11:47 am »
Couldn't not get my tuppence halfpenny in here. Everyone's right. Nobody's wrong. I only ocasionally wore a scarf at home through the 70s and 80s but I did take flags. A Japanese rising sun and a couple of home-made efforts.
The truth is that the Kop looks excellent when fully adorned and in all its glory . And none of the mass-produced plassy efforts either . But it can't be like that every week though. I mean you don't put a dinner jacket on if you're going down to your local for a few pints with your mates. Self-regulation is always the key I reckon. Our lot have always known when to make it happen.
Having said that,there's nothing more depressing than seeing a half-arsed YNWA on a 12.30 kick-off with everyone talking or on their phones. Surely that's a couple of short minutes when people could concentrate and make an effort ffs. Not asking much,is it?
 Would love to see a sprinkling of colour and more flags spread around the Kop but that's just my preference. Hate seeing the flags marched off After YNWA.
Bring back the Drone . Ban anyone who doesn't join in with that!! ;)

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14385 on: February 4, 2024, 11:15:11 am »
I remember the Japanese flag.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14386 on: February 4, 2024, 11:26:19 am »
Army and Navy Stores Mount Pleasant!

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #14387 on: February 4, 2024, 11:30:25 am »
Army and Navy Stores Mount Pleasant!
Now you tell me. I always wanted one of those flags but never managed to get hold of one. I remember seeing it on the Kop.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14388 on: February 4, 2024, 11:33:10 am »
Please start the Drone again!!!!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14389 on: February 4, 2024, 11:34:36 am »
Though they'd probably speed that up as well!!

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14390 on: February 4, 2024, 12:51:02 pm »

Just needs a few of us to put the effort in and it will be back, I am up for it.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14391 on: February 4, 2024, 01:24:47 pm »
Though they'd probably speed that up as well!!

;D

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14392 on: February 4, 2024, 02:38:36 pm »

The Drone was brilliant - weird the way it just kind of quietly dropped out of the repertoire over the years - think the last ime I can remember it in the ground was the late 80's /early 90's . Would be the perfect noise to drown out the knobhead songs from the away fans .

Millwall do their version which sounds good to be fair.
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14393 on: February 4, 2024, 04:07:16 pm »
The Drone was brilliant - weird the way it just kind of quietly dropped out of the repertoire over the years - think the last ime I can remember it in the ground was the late 80's /early 90's . Would be the perfect noise to drown out the knobhead songs from the away fans .

Millwall do their version which sounds good to be fair.

I’m not sure what this is and given that my first match was 1989 the timeline checks out! 

(Google doesn’t help for obvious flying machine reasons)
Believer

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14394 on: February 4, 2024, 04:25:59 pm »
I’m not sure what this is and given that my first match was 1989 the timeline checks out! 

(Google doesn’t help for obvious flying machine reasons)

Liiiiiiiiiiiiivvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeerrrrpoooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.

Shout Liverpool but hold the Liv as long as you can then finish....erpool,   repeat when you draw breath,  different people starting at different times so sounds like a constant drone.  Very intimidating and can go on for several minutes.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14395 on: February 4, 2024, 08:09:38 pm »
Liiiiiiiiiiiiivvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeerrrrpoooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.

Shout Liverpool but hold the Liv as long as you can then finish....erpool,   repeat when you draw breath,  different people starting at different times so sounds like a constant drone.  Very intimidating and can go on for several minutes.

Ta mate, does ring a bell from old VHS highlights I’ve watched now you’ve described it.
Believer

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14396 on: February 5, 2024, 10:38:54 pm »

Wore a sun hat for Wembley in 86, think that was abar my limit. Loved a pin badge though, the small circle one with the liverbird in, none finer.

See your brothers(?) banner has got a regular and rightful place on the kop these days on the rhs. Class that.

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14397 on: February 5, 2024, 10:40:14 pm »
Very few scarves in our end yesterday. Rubbish I guess.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #14398 on: February 6, 2024, 09:50:44 am »
Very few scarves in our end yesterday. Rubbish I guess.

No half 'n' halves either. Disappointing that.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #14399 on: February 6, 2024, 07:12:54 pm »
Wore a sun hat for Wembley in 86, think that was abar my limit. Loved a pin badge though, the small circle one with the liverbird in, none finer.

See your brothers(?) banner has got a regular and rightful place on the kop these days on the rhs. Class that.

Our kids banner does make an appearance every now and then I hear off me mates. Me da ' got fed up with one of the lads waving it saying he couldn't wave it properly so got someone else on the case. Speaking of me da ' he's been to a few home games this season and his first since he got volleyed all over the shop in Paris ( the C unts ) . I see Gerry Mcivers banner was out last week which is always nice to see . God bless him . Take it easy .
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .