Author Topic: What's really going on? Selling, 'rebuilding the squad', what?  (Read 242451 times)

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
Re: What's really going on? Selling, 'rebuilding the squad', what?
« Reply #920 on: August 31, 2012, 11:31:16 pm »
If they hadn't sacked Kenny, we probably wouldn't have got rid of most of those players. They did actually play some alright football now and then, and brought one of those shiny things home. I agree we overpaid on them, but it's hardly Kenny's fault that they sacked him and the next manager wants a different type of player.
I can see the argument, but the fact of the matter is, when the club tried to offload those players, there were no buyers. No one wanted them for the price the club paid. Adam lost about £5m in value, Carroll if he completes his move next year lost £15-20m in value. Cole is one of the worst signings the club has made in terms of value; unloved and unwanted by all his managers, he has been on loan and injured since he's come to the club. Henderson we couldn't even swap away. That's wasted money there, no matter how you look at it. I hate to say it, but if KD had stayed the most likely result would have been further wasted spending on valueless players and even more degeneration of the club.

I suppose what galls the most was Everton were able to get in some very intelligent buys and offload their over-rated Rodwell for big cash, while Spurs have sold their most effective players from last year and come out the other side stronger - but that I feel is the difference, Everton, Spurs and Liverpool had to sell to buy, but Everton and Spurs did so more effectively because they had more valuable players to sell. At the end of the day, the difference between Spurs and Liverpool's transfers was probably Dempsey. Both needed an extra attacking option, Liverpool low balled and came out the other side looking foolish. 
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline lindylou100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #921 on: August 31, 2012, 11:31:18 pm »
I get the feeling the owners will be pretty p*ssed bout dempsey, it seemed to me that he was supposed to be the signing to raise our profile in the US. Werner was talking bout him before rogers was ever manager.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 11:33:13 pm by lindylou100 »

Offline Warks Moustache

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #922 on: August 31, 2012, 11:31:26 pm »
Easy to say you're willing to pay high wages when in reality you sign no-one to actually pay wages to.

Fucking smokescreen from the beginning.  Now it's confirmed.  At least we all now know what they're about & what we're up against.

I see, so bumping Suarez from £35 k a week to £100k a week is not a good contract? Skrtel and probably Agger on new £80k contracts? Paying £75+ k a week for Sahin?

What are you talking about?

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #923 on: August 31, 2012, 11:31:29 pm »
I haven't got a problem with the fact we haven't signed a striker. I have a problem with loaning out Carrol without a replacement. Stupid, stupid move.

You could argue Chelsea have done exactly the same. Let Drogba leave and loaned out Lukaku and haven't bothered signing a striker and are left with just Torres and Sturridge.  So we're not alone here.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline RdJRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #924 on: August 31, 2012, 11:31:40 pm »
42 EPL goals last year 18 of which came from Carroll, Kuyt, Maxi, Bellamy, Adam.

It's clear they thought a striker was coming in today but have fucked it up royally.

If Suarez stays fit and suspension free I can see him netting more than his 11 goals but it seems we`re seriously going to struggle for goals unless one from Borini, Sterling gets a few.  If we have injuries to Suarez and/or Gerrard it will be awkward to say the least.  Feel sorry for Rodgers.

Roll on January, but i'm not confident that we can pull it off even then...
YNWA

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #925 on: August 31, 2012, 11:31:45 pm »
I don't think we will sign anyone in January....

Where is the money going to come from

Joe Cole is still here WHY?

Depends really.  On the one hand, we've nobody left to sell, bar cole and "No value in january market."

then again tony barrett indicated brendan is pissed off.  So maybe to appease him they might pull their finger out.  Given there's an 80% rise in tv money next season and a 100m overdraft.

Depends whether suarez, gerrard, sterling stay fit from now until january and manage to keep us above midtable/relegation area.

Depends whether the fans grumbles of complaint and unhappiness reach the ears of jen fucking chang and the shower of tighttwats running the show.

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #926 on: August 31, 2012, 11:31:46 pm »
Also we had to pay wages to KD and backroom staff as well as compensation to Swansea for BR

I thought Kenny refused the compensation and said it should be spent on transfers?

Offline RedRabbit

• Rampant but without the batteries.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #927 on: August 31, 2012, 11:31:49 pm »
OUTS

Kuyt -  Squad player on large wages. Getting on.
Maxi - Squad player. Getting on.
Aurelio - Drain on the NHS. Getting on.
Bellamy - Played once a week, large wages. Getting on.
Amoo - Who?  :P
Darby - Not going to make it here
Aquilani - Left 2 years ago
Carroll - Not suited and a waste of wages. Could have been kept as a body but would have been a fucking expensive bench warmer.
Adam - Shite.
Spearing - Shite -ish. far too much competition. Has gone to his level.
Ecclestone - If he was going to make it here, he probably would have done so already.

Maybe wilson to follow.  Pacheco move fell through, dont know about doni, gulasaci yet either.

INS

Borini - First 11.
Allen - First 11. Fucking awesome.
Sahin - First 11. Fucking super duper awesome.
Assaidi - Who?  :P Squad player. Dirt cheap.
Yesil - Extremely promising player. Dirt cheap.

And - Sterling - Jumped to almost first team starter.

Improved contracts for suarez and skrtl. - Thank fucking God.

We're nowhere near in as bad a position as some people are making out. We've seriously upgraded in some areas and have shifted a lot of deadwood and ageing players on large money. We've got some really good youngsters who'll now get their chance - something a lot of people have been complaining doesn't happen enough here.

The bottom line is even if we brought in a top end striker we wouldn't be winning the league and would still take time to get back in the top 4 on a regular basis. I'd rather have the players we have learning the very promising system that Rodgers is going to implement.

It. Will. Take. Time. Chill.

*This isn't really directed at you Kinki. I just used your post cause it was handy.  ;)

Offline jonjosuso

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #928 on: August 31, 2012, 11:31:56 pm »
It wouldnt suprise me if h isnt targetted by teams to injure now. He gets no protection from referees and other tems will know he s our only real threat.

Im sure Luis is as pissed off as we all are!

I wonder what the whole team are thinking? Suarez, Skrtel two world class players committed to the cause and they've got nothing in return.
FSG please eBay Linda's black gloves and we can buy Kuyt back.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #929 on: August 31, 2012, 11:32:01 pm »
Underwhelmed to say the least. Someone somehere has fucked up badly in the last 24 hours, with Bellemy, Kyut and Carroll gone its gonna be very hard to come up with a plan B if we're chasing for a goal now. Gonna be a long Autumn...
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Juneau

• Anny Roader
« Reply #930 on: August 31, 2012, 11:32:01 pm »
It's hardly a bad transfer window. I'm not too happy that we loaned Carroll out and didn't replace him, but we're not lost at sea without him. Carroll was always going to be Plan B. I would have liked to have seen him stay and show more of that fighting spirit he has shown since late last season onwards, but hey ho. The owners obviously want to be smarter with there money now. They've learnt their lesson of placing blind faith in Comolli and Dalglish. They want to wait to see what Rodgers can do before seriously opening their wallets.

We have strengthened our midfield, considerably. We've cut some of the deadwood in players like Spearing and Adam, and replaced them with far better players in Sahin and Allen. We also now have some actual talent and pace on the wings with Aissadi and Sterling, instead of the dross we have had there in the last few years. Kuyt, Henderson and so on were never wingers, but it looks like we have some players that can do well out wide now. We have players that can pick apart defences and create chances. We will be better at finishing and we will get more goals.

I've said it before to people, Suarez physically can cope through anything. He doesn't pick up injuries (cue an injury to happen now!), can play endless amount of games per season and still put in 100% into each and every one of those games. We're lacking depth up top but was Dempsey really going to be the answer to our finishing woes? He would have picked up a few (my guess would have been 5-8 goals), but he was not never going to be our number 9. That search will go on in January.

Rodgers is placing his faith in terms of backup in the youth for now. We have talented players striving to break into the first team, and I think some of them can make it. It's do or die for Pacheco now at Liverpool (as he doesn't look like he has gone anywhere), Suso will want to show his ability matches his ego and there are others such as Morgan and Robinson pushing further into the first team squad.

It will not be a disastrous journey to get to January, I am sure of that.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #931 on: August 31, 2012, 11:32:07 pm »
get an injury to Suarez and the good ship Liverpool is gonna struggle for the top 10.

Hasn't he already got 2yellows the refs are going to target him so suspensions will also be a factor.
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline Mizerooskie

• Kopite
« Reply #932 on: August 31, 2012, 11:32:09 pm »
Rafa was railing against owners whose policy of loading the club with debt was crippling the club and setting it up for administration. How is this remotely comparable?
Psssh.  Don't come in here with facts and logic.  This is no place for that.

Join in on the unsubstantiated rabble-rousing, or GTFO!

Offline juan1001

• The Dumb One
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #933 on: August 31, 2012, 11:32:10 pm »
You could argue that Kenny Dalglish and Damien Comolli did as much damage to Liverpool as Gillett and Hicks.

Absolutely fucking shocking.

Carroll, Downing, Henderson - £75m.  Fucking criminal.

Everyone's moaning about our lack of willingness to spend this window, but you can't blame FSG after they had their fingers so badly burned.

But FSG never spent 75M. We sold over 75M worth of players to buy Carroll, Downing, Henderson...

Offline AnfieldRD19

• Not worried at all about his manbuddy.
  • Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #934 on: August 31, 2012, 11:32:22 pm »
Tonight did not make me disappointed about this transfer window. It just made me more furious about last summer's transfer window.

Probably the most accurate quote on this thread so far. People need to stop fucking blaming it on Rodgers. We made a shit load of mistakes last summer that severely set us back.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #935 on: August 31, 2012, 11:32:22 pm »
We are still able to look at free signings, eh?

Offline Live in the Now

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #936 on: August 31, 2012, 11:32:32 pm »
Some are exaggerating how bad the squad is though. We didn't sign a striker (and we should have done) but how much better off were we really with Carroll, Adam and Spearing here? They hardly would have played.

We'll still finish top 6 imo.
(first part not directed at you)
I'm not about to say anything about Kenny like some of you, who are frankly making so many disgusting comments I can hardly look at them. Talking about Kenny doing as much damage as the tumors without a hint of irony, that's sickening and people should mind their words. I cannot fucking believe I just read that.

That being said, we had nothing productive past Suarez up top last season either. Harsh but true. Nothing out wide either. We also fixed our midfield which was unable to get a hold on games. Even considering the lack of a buy today, the season could be better yet.

Offline Warks Moustache

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #937 on: August 31, 2012, 11:32:37 pm »
I thought Kenny refused the compensation and said it should be spent on transfers?

This is not true. Kenny pocketed £6 million IIRC.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #938 on: August 31, 2012, 11:33:02 pm »
I think the Mayans prophesied this; RAWK will be full of reactionary wankers on 31 . 1 . 2012

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #939 on: August 31, 2012, 11:33:09 pm »
Well if the owners wanted to get the fans behind the new manager they pretty well much just did it. Clever.

I need my tin foil hat for this.

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #940 on: August 31, 2012, 11:33:12 pm »
personally i don't think anything sinister was at work.

we were in for 2 players,there wasn't sufficient value we walked away.

hopefully we fast track yesil and morgan
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline Noble Nayudu

• Kopite
« Reply #941 on: August 31, 2012, 11:33:18 pm »
You could argue that Kenny Dalglish and Damien Comolli did as much damage to Liverpool as Gillett and Hicks.

Everyone's moaning about our lack of willingness to spend this window, but you can't blame FSG after they had their fingers so badly burned.

Disgraceful comment.

Offline red_dub

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #942 on: August 31, 2012, 11:33:22 pm »

did kenny sanction transfer fees?
“Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor.”

Bill Shankly

Offline lucas65

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #943 on: August 31, 2012, 11:33:22 pm »
Dalglish did not set the fees, he just requested the players.
I seem to remember some fantastic football under him too and a lot of bad luck.
Kenny is still King in my book and always will be.

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #944 on: August 31, 2012, 11:33:32 pm »

Yer right, that comment IS absolutely fucking shocking.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Carlos Eunuch Alberto

• Only gets a godd rub-down by paying for it - then posts about it on RAWK cos he has no mates to tell.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yeezy Taught Me!!
« Reply #945 on: August 31, 2012, 11:33:34 pm »
I think we will be okay if i'm being honest, Aresnal haven't strengthened at all and Spurs have replaced Modric and VDV with Dembele and Dempsey the latter were better for them.
Utd will win this no doubt about that,
I will happily cut my balls off and post them on here if they don't

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #946 on: August 31, 2012, 11:33:47 pm »
The reaction of Brendan Rodgers will be very interesting, and will tell us a lot about him. I hope he doesn't just turn out to be a yes man. He's talked a good game so far, but if he is happy to allow transfer dealings like that then I will be worried.

So if Rodgers comes out and says he decided not to up bid for Dempsey because it was too much then he's a 'yes' man and we should be worried. Despite doing the same over Siggy's wages.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #947 on: August 31, 2012, 11:33:55 pm »
Someone just said that the Red Sox also sold without investing significantly. Is that true?
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline Believe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #948 on: August 31, 2012, 11:33:59 pm »
Been reading this and the general transfer thread....

Where the fuck do these whoppers come from and what do we need to do in order they fuck right off back there?

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #949 on: August 31, 2012, 11:33:59 pm »
I see, so bumping Suarez from £35 k a week to £100k a week is not a good contract? Skrtel and probably Agger on new £80k contracts? Paying £75+ k a week for Sahin?

What are you talking about?

You have answered your question from before.. Ayre fucked it up, simple as.

The money to bring in two attacking players was there when shipping Carroll and a couple of others out for a decent price. We just were to stupid to do so and bring some replacement in, fucked it up in house again.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #950 on: August 31, 2012, 11:34:00 pm »
This is not true. Kenny pocketed £6 million IIRC.
Ok thanks.

Offline Shanks1965

• SOS member 981
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 friends who we all miss...
« Reply #951 on: August 31, 2012, 11:34:13 pm »
Only Rodgers was insisting on offloading Carroll not FSG.
What benefit was there for Brendan Rodgers in loaning out Andy Carroll?
Seen more titles than he can remember...

Offline Big Dirk

• But with Little Harnds. One of these is incorrerct.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Belfast Red
« Reply #952 on: August 31, 2012, 11:34:28 pm »
I get the feeling the owners will be pretty p*ssed bout dempsey, it seemed to me that he was supposed to be the signing to raise our profile in the US. Werner was talking bout him before rogers was ever manager.
Well they have no one to blame but themselves.
Born a Red-Live a Red-Die a Red

Offline liverpoolfan1

• Kopite
« Reply #953 on: August 31, 2012, 11:34:30 pm »
I wonder what the whole team are thinking? Suarez, Skrtel two world class players committed to the cause and they've got nothing in return.
``
Expect Suarez to leave next season mate. There is no way he is sticking around with the lack of ambition we have shown and it will be pretty much guaranteed if we fail to get CL (which is looking very likely). And personally I wouldn't blame him one bit.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are."

Bill Shankly

Offline litliper

• Legacy Fan
  • Does anybody wanna buy a country?
« Reply #954 on: August 31, 2012, 11:34:33 pm »
I can understand the frustration and some of the criticism in here hits home...but a lot of the comments in here are absolutely shocking. Defeatism at its absolute worst. Have a word with yourselfs for fuck sake. Agger and Skrtel stayed. Spearing and Adam went and we got Allen and Sahin as replacements. Its not all doom and gloom.
"My country is the world, and my religion to do good." (Thomas Paine)

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #955 on: August 31, 2012, 11:34:37 pm »
Fuck this.

Offline Benimar Col

• benimarisblonde.col.uk
  • Legacy Fan
  • Make us Dream
« Reply #956 on: August 31, 2012, 11:34:56 pm »
I love the way FSG are absolved of all the blame for Comolli's signings. Who exactly hired him within a few days of buying the club? And who said "our price for caroll was always going to be Torres minus £15m"?

FSG are up to their necks in complicity as far as im concerned

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #957 on: August 31, 2012, 11:35:07 pm »
So one minute we're willing to trade in Henderson for dempsey, the next we aren't bidding more than 3m for him.

Ayre and Fsg showed their arse on this one.

Offline Cocomin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #958 on: August 31, 2012, 11:35:09 pm »
We're trying to sort ourselves out ffs. Our wage bill was way too high and needed to be cut. Its been cut alot but that will help in the long term whilst causing some short term pain. We made major mistakes in the transfer market and we've tried to cut our loses as much as possible. Yes they could have dragged it out 2 or 3 windows but again its best for the long term to just get it done.

We've done some majoy surgery but if we are to rebuild ourselves into a CL team(and i mean do it properly not just spend £500m like City and Chelsea) then it needed to be done. Spurs did it by having a very strict realistic wage structure and buying youth and building up a squad. Our advantage over Spurs is our commercial revenue which means we can pay more wages and we can keep the likes of Suarez and Skrtel during this rebuild.
Do you think our best players will stay here when we finish 7th or 8th again ?

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #959 on: August 31, 2012, 11:35:21 pm »
But FSG never spent 75M. We sold over 75M worth of players to buy Carroll, Downing, Henderson...

Doesn't matter it was still £75m look at spurs you can sell and still buy good players, Kenny fucked up and it's been said far too many times but it's true
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker