Author Topic: What's really going on? Selling, 'rebuilding the squad', what?  (Read 242219 times)

Offline Pendzo

• Kopite
Re: What's really going on? Selling, 'rebuilding the squad', what?
« Reply #3440 on: September 2, 2012, 12:43:29 pm »
Our bench today is woeful.

Confirmed #LFC subs: Jones, Carragher, Shelvey, Downing, Henderson, Kelly, Coates.

Something has to give here.

That's not very encouraging, was hoping for Assaidi to make the bench at least. Not much there that can change a game.

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3441 on: September 2, 2012, 12:44:39 pm »
Interesting 15 million for sturridge so their are capable amount of funds just not for elder signings. Still though should the board really be deciding the type of player a manager signs?

would like to know if this was the case - rodgers wanted only a loan and sturridge only a permanent move?

additionally, what was the real deal with henderson?  is that purely a red herring/rubbish or is there some veracity to the swap deal with dempsey and was it loan or permanent?  and if it is true, what was henderson's position?

it is easy to get carried away with some of the "dealings" but clearly we have some issues at board level, as it has not been an effective window (not necessarily the disaster some appear to believe it is, but certainly not a success) and it has been a pr disaster, a summer that was well managed publicity wise has slowly descended into the pr nightmare we were surely trying to avoid with jen cheng on board?
Joey's ate the frogs legs, made the swiss roll, now he's munchin' gladbach!!

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #3442 on: September 2, 2012, 12:46:10 pm »
Its a strange one, I am still livid that the club didnt bring in anyone on Friday, most notably a decent striker......... yet at the same time I sort of admire them for basically telling Fulham to fook off. I appreciate Fulham have to get the best deal for themselves, but letting Dempsey go to Aston Villa for £4mil + add on's, then refusing the same price to us is nothing short of a ludicrous.
If you went in the boozer and the barman served your mate a pint of beer for £2.20 - then when you asked for a pint of the same he said "sorry but its £5 for you, because I think you've got more money than your mate", what would you say?

"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline TheCharlatan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #3443 on: September 2, 2012, 12:46:49 pm »
Our bench today is woeful.

Confirmed #LFC subs: Jones, Carragher, Shelvey, Downing, Henderson, Kelly, Coates.

Something has to give here.

Means we're starting with:

Raheem        Suarez        Borini                   

Gerrard

Sahin    Allen

Enrique                         Johnson
               Agger  Skrtel

Pepe Reina

Good positive attacking lineup. Real statement of intent that we're after 3 points.

Payback time. Come on you Redmen.

:scarf
« Last Edit: September 2, 2012, 12:50:23 pm by TheCharlatan »

Offline SadRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3444 on: September 2, 2012, 12:48:18 pm »
Dont believe the bullshit about not spending a couple of million more down to age and all that. Something is not correct.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3445 on: September 2, 2012, 12:56:48 pm »
The owners are essentially saying that they don't like spunking money up the wall and being held to ransom by fat pancake-munching fucks like Martin Jol, and people are actually having a go at them for it. I would like us not to have a reputation as a club who will pay silly money for average players, but after some of the goings-on under Comolli and Purslow, it is going to take some time to shake that tag.

We knew of Dempsey's age. We could have arranged the deal earlier, or we could have backed out earlier. Now we let it run and in the end we messed up. I get the impression Dempsey's age wasn't a problem, nor the money. It's more like it was a sudden moment on deadline day when FSG stepped in and changed their minds. When there was no time to arrange someting else.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #3446 on: September 2, 2012, 01:01:07 pm »
a) Rumours are that we tried for four deals on the final day and missed out on them all.  So it sounds like we did have backups but missed out on them all.  Whether that was through bad luck, incompetence or parsimony is anyone's guess

I was out all day yesterday, who were the other signings we missed out on on besides I'm assuming Sturridge and Dempsey? :wave

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Aaron Cross

• Hot for Megan, Transformer Troll...
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #3448 on: September 2, 2012, 01:03:49 pm »
 >:(
only thing I want to say is that this is a second cosecutive transfer window in which we needed to get a striker who would improve our chances of better league season and a second consecutive time we've been fucked over.
Yeh talk is cheap, and FSG are good at it, I guess now January is the acid test on whether they will back Brendan..

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3449 on: September 2, 2012, 01:10:48 pm »
Dont believe the bullshit about not spending a couple of million more down to age and all that. Something is not correct.

The combination of his age and Fulham trying to screw a higher price out of us than anyone else was offering makes it make more sense though.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3450 on: September 2, 2012, 01:14:17 pm »
it has been a pr disaster
It hasn't been a PR disaster. It's been a typical RAWK "we didn't spend like City or Chelsea so let's whine and bitch and find a scapegoat" session.

We got rid of players Rodgers didn't want . We lowered the wage bill. We got a potential world class player from Real Madrid, and a few other very promising talents. But no it wasn't 100% perfect so hey RAWK let's all hang someone from the nearest gallows.

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3451 on: September 2, 2012, 01:15:00 pm »
Fulham were obviously being bitter.  Could be the last time the two clubs have dealings with each other for a while.

Offline firing squad

• Thinks he's a dog with spots.
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Dalmatia
« Reply #3452 on: September 2, 2012, 01:17:44 pm »
Fulham were obviously being bitter.  Could be the last time the two clubs have dealings with each other for a while.
why wouldn't they be? We were sniffing around Dempsey all summer long and he eventually refused to even train and play for Fulham cause of it. Everyone would be pissed.

It's not Fulham's fault we fucked up in securing the deal earlier.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." - Bill Shankly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metkovi%C4%87

http://www.lfccro.com/

Offline snowlion

• Kopite
« Reply #3453 on: September 2, 2012, 01:18:57 pm »
You know I just wanted to say if FSG came out and said look guys we could of handled the end of the transfer window a bit better than we did and have left Brendan in a bit of a hole not replacing Carroll, but things are getting put in place so these types of situations don't happen again, then I think me and most fans would be fine with that, hey shit happens I understand, as long as you learn from it then its happy days, we can all move on, ok we are a striker short but we will deal with till january, no dramas, I just think it would do FSG some good if they took a bit of responsibility for a change that's all, considering they just own the club and all, but then again they will probably use Ayres as the patsy, they can tie it off with him and wash there hands, too easy, Anyway all I'm saying is for me the best way for FSG to get through this is to just fall on there own sword and just admit things could of been handled better, I could live with that.

This is the most irritating thing.  The owners do not want to accept responsibility for this mess.  We came up 1 million short.  We might be able to get 200,000 Liverpool supporters to donate a fiver to get Dempsey.
Make Us Dream

Offline Big Dirk

• But with Little Harnds. One of these is incorrerct.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Belfast Red
« Reply #3454 on: September 2, 2012, 01:23:18 pm »
Why the fuck should they sell us the 3rd highest goalscorer in the premiership last season for 4m,I to would have told us to slide on.
Born a Red-Live a Red-Die a Red

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #3455 on: September 2, 2012, 01:23:40 pm »
This is the most irritating thing.  The owners do not want to accept responsibility for this mess.  We came up 1 million short.  We might be able to get 200,000 Liverpool supporters to donate a fiver to get Dempsey.

I wouldn't donate a single fiver to get Dempsey, to be honest, let alone 200,000 of them. He is a half-decent player, that is it.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3456 on: September 2, 2012, 01:25:41 pm »
I wouldn't donate a single fiver to get Dempsey, to be honest, let alone 200,000 of them. He is a half-decent player, that is it.

I think you're missing the point. It's the triviality of the difference I think he's trying to highlight. It's not about who 'you' would pay a fiver to, it's about missing out on our key targets for fucking chump change as a matter of principle.

Offline JCM

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3457 on: September 2, 2012, 01:29:10 pm »
They can't say they have no money in January as we already know we are saving £550k per week on our wages bill.  And, no, I'm not expecting them to use their money, but I am expecting them to use ours
LFC Collectables

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #3458 on: September 2, 2012, 01:32:18 pm »
They can't say they have no money in January as we already know we are saving £550k per week on our wages bill.  And, no, I'm not expecting them to use their money, but I am expecting them to use ours

And that is the point. We need to stop thinking in terms of transfer fees alone, but in terms of fees AND wages. £550K per week between now and the end of December is over £8m going into the transfer kitty, just by not paying wasters.

In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3459 on: September 2, 2012, 01:33:12 pm »
It hasn't been a PR disaster. It's been a typical RAWK "we didn't spend like City or Chelsea so let's whine and bitch and find a scapegoat" session.

We got rid of players Rodgers didn't want . We lowered the wage bill. We got a potential world class player from Real Madrid, and a few other very promising talents. But no it wasn't 100% perfect so hey RAWK let's all hang someone from the nearest gallows.

so the publicity surrounding our dealings has been good (or even neutral)? 

sorry, am i not "on message"...forgot how the corporate world works for a second.....

Offline LouBimpson

• Boys Pen
« Reply #3460 on: September 2, 2012, 01:46:34 pm »
I think we've dodged a bullet missing out on Dempsey. He showed no loyalty to Fulham by going on strike and though he said he'd love to join us he didnt hesitate to join one of our rivals once the going got tough. We should trust our young players to step up and show what real loyalty to a club means.

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3461 on: September 2, 2012, 01:55:13 pm »
I think we've dodged a bullet missing out on Dempsey. He showed no loyalty to Fulham by going on strike and though he said he'd love to join us he didnt hesitate to join one of our rivals once the going got tough. We should trust our young players to step up and show what real loyalty to a club means.

not really the point, the real point is whether rodgers wanted him and why he didn't get him if he did....and whether the loaning out of carroll and noone coming in will impact our chances before jan?  i do think we need to use the players we have and trust them fully now, including the younger players

Offline alhogan

• Main Stander
« Reply #3462 on: September 2, 2012, 03:12:56 pm »
It's a pity we didn't bring in some competition for pepe reina who even though plays shit consistently he knows he will be starting the next game

Offline Redknobprob

• Kopite
« Reply #3463 on: September 2, 2012, 03:15:52 pm »
It's a pity we didn't bring in some competition for pepe reina who even though plays shit consistently he knows he will be starting the next game

The least of our problems.  We're blunt upfront and our midfield engine is on his last legs. 

Offline stevenalonsa

• Legacy Fan
  • my d.o.b. 30.5.85 same as gerrard
« Reply #3464 on: September 2, 2012, 03:19:17 pm »
Pepe seems to be not interested for some wierd reason...He need to knuckle down..Positives -- Sterling, Allen and Shelvey..
Negatives-- Suarez agains didnt show any composure infront of the goal, Gerrard way way of the mark for his standards..Had it been the Gerrard of the old he would scored/made atleast a couple.Himself and Suarez look tired to me..Inshort long season ahead..