Author Topic: Climate Emergency is already here. How much worse it gets is still up to us (?)  (Read 381088 times)

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Climate Emergency is already here. How much worse it gets is still up to us (?)
« Reply #2880 on: September 20, 2021, 07:05:23 pm »
If this is terrorism then the law is an ass
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
Re: Climate Emergency is already here. How much worse it gets is still up to us (?)
« Reply #2881 on: September 20, 2021, 11:23:33 pm »
Didn't a person in Bristol die when Extinction Rebellion blocked roads there?
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Anfield Kopite

• Will vote for anyone who gives out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2882 on: September 20, 2021, 11:59:08 pm »
If this is terrorism then the law is an ass
Of course its terrorism. These people are putting lives in danger. It reminds me of The Animal Liberation Front putting broken glass into jars of baby food back in the 80s.. Absolutely idiotic because it pisses people off who would otherwise agree with their  cause.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #2883 on: September 21, 2021, 10:01:10 am »
Of course its terrorism. These people are putting lives in danger. It reminds me of The Animal Liberation Front putting broken glass into jars of baby food back in the 80s.. Absolutely idiotic because it pisses people off who would otherwise agree with their  cause.

You can't equate people protesting by blocking roads, with idiots putting glass in jars of baby food.

If you deem climate change protesters to be 'terrorists' then you're well down the slippery slope to creating a judicial system where any mass protest can be branded 'terrorism', with all the pitfalls that that leads to.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2884 on: September 21, 2021, 10:47:28 am »
Got some Patel backers in this thread I see.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #2885 on: September 21, 2021, 10:53:56 am »
I don't think they can be called terrorists. They don't sabotage lives on purpose. They do cause disruption and inconvenience.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2886 on: September 21, 2021, 10:57:55 am »

what the fuck?

they are literally blocking traffic they're not threatening or killing anyone, up there with the more bizarre RAWK posts of late  :o
YNWA.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2887 on: September 21, 2021, 10:59:54 am »
First they came for the climate change protestors...

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2888 on: September 21, 2021, 11:08:04 am »
Patel agrees with you.

Got some Patel backers in this thread I see.

Good to see a total lack of ability to debate without repeatedly pointing the tory finger I see.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2889 on: September 21, 2021, 11:11:24 am »
they are literally blocking traffic they're not threatening or killing anyone, up there with the more bizarre RAWK posts of late  :o

Under the CPS's own definition they certainly fall under the terrorist banner. Terrorism isn't just limited to a threat to kill.

Now of course they probably shouldn't be treated and punished as such, but they def fall under it...

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2890 on: September 21, 2021, 11:49:47 am »
Under the CPS's own definition they certainly fall under the terrorist banner. Terrorism isn't just limited to a threat to kill.

Now of course they probably shouldn't be treated and punished as such, but they def fall under it...

that drafting smells particularly Priti Patel, but I still wouldn't interpret that to fall squarely within that. the only threat they seem to be making is to themselves.
YNWA.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2891 on: September 21, 2021, 11:50:44 am »
Good to see a total lack of ability to debate without repeatedly pointing the tory finger I see.

Not a lack of ability, just pointing out you share similar views. 

There is a debate to be had.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 12:10:36 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2892 on: September 21, 2021, 12:14:32 pm »
Not a lack of ability, just pointing out you share similar views. 

Well what, exactly, is it adding to the debate?

Shouting Tory is hardly some enlightened view point here. In fact it’s often used on here to try and shut down debate by someone who either can’t be arsed, doesn’t have anything to add, or just doesn’t have the ability to debate.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2893 on: September 21, 2021, 02:21:49 pm »
Well whether Craig is a Tory or a Patel supporter or whatever. The matter of fact is that every single person that got stuck on the M25 because of the protest will absolutely hate those people that did the protest. That's hundreds of thousands of people could possibly agree with the cause but will now despise it.

It's just like when ER decided to stop DLR trains
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2894 on: September 21, 2021, 02:49:59 pm »
Well whether Craig is a Tory or a Patel supporter or whatever. The matter of fact is that every single person that got stuck on the M25 because of the protest will absolutely hate those people that did the protest. That's hundreds of thousands of people could possibly agree with the cause but will now despise it.

I've marched in protests that have closed roads. I've manned picket lines.

All caused obstructions to varying degrees.

Are you going to take the same line of 'those inconvenienced are going to hate the cause' whenever any group takes direct action (normally because the twats in charge ignore discussion/negotiation/compromise)

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2895 on: September 21, 2021, 03:00:33 pm »

How about the inconvenience of chronic lung disease, dementia and cancer all caused by the same polluting twats moaning about the protests. 
My road is chock full of Range Rovers and the like idling in mile long tailbacks twice a day at least, all spewing out Diesel fumes simply because Rupert or Jas can't walk to school or yummy mummy couldn't possibly walk to her gym or nail bar.
Anyways everyone should enjoy protesting while they still can.
Priti Nasty is going to be able to lock them up as terrorists if they are the wrong sort of protestors.
BoJo might even get to use his water cannons though those more likely to appear at the food, energy and housing riots that are no doubt incoming for the new year.

Offline scatman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2896 on: September 21, 2021, 03:51:34 pm »
right and how many diesel fumes does the DLR give off? You can protest and cry and do whatever you wish but you're going to get no support the way you're going about it.

I don't drive nor use taxis nor use buses. I walk/cycle and used to use the underground when in London. So people from a poor area of London trying to get to work to survive had their electric trains blocked by climate protestors. Yes you're really going to win over the public to the cause. I mean I'm a person that has a extremely low carbon footprint and your obnoxious nature is putting me off even bothering with you.

The fact you're using people going on school runs as a reason to blockade the M25, right, most people using the M25 are going on school runs.

Why do you never protest in Windsor or South Kensington? Why are you not blockading up gas guzzling Bentley's and Range Rovers?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 03:53:26 pm by scatman »

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2897 on: September 21, 2021, 05:07:30 pm »

I've marched in protests that have closed roads. I've manned picket lines.

All caused obstructions to varying degrees.

Are you going to take the same line of 'those inconvenienced are going to hate the cause' whenever any group takes direct action (normally because the twats in charge ignore discussion/negotiation/compromise)

I think there is quite a big difference to marching on A/B roads where there will invariably be many alternative routes emergency vehicles could take and where the danger is less because cars aren’t going 70mph+ than there is to doing the same on a motorway.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2898 on: September 21, 2021, 05:27:05 pm »
I think there is quite a big difference to marching on A/B roads where there will invariably be many alternative routes emergency vehicles could take and where the danger is less because cars aren’t going 70mph+ than there is to doing the same on a motorway.

Do cars ever reach 70Mph on the M25?

As someone from the other side of the country who has never been on it apart from asleep on a bus in the middle of the night, I was under the impression it was constantly a crawl.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #2899 on: September 21, 2021, 07:27:15 pm »

As someone from the other side of the country who has never been on it apart from asleep on a bus in the middle of the night, I was under the impression it was constantly a crawl.

Yeah, after 20:00 there’s stretches of it that are empty enough to get past 70MPH.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #2900 on: September 22, 2021, 11:19:49 am »

I used to have to go to Portsmouth on NY day to be there in time for a client on 2nd and the M25 was beautifully clear!

In general though I'd say the South West to North West portion, heading northwards, (from my experience) is the worst part of it - when I've had to travel, generally found that the South West to North East can be fairly easy going.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2901 on: September 22, 2021, 11:50:39 am »
right and how many diesel fumes does the DLR give off? You can protest and cry and do whatever you wish but you're going to get no support the way you're going about it.

I don't drive nor use taxis nor use buses. I walk/cycle and used to use the underground when in London. So people from a poor area of London trying to get to work to survive had their electric trains blocked by climate protestors. Yes you're really going to win over the public to the cause. I mean I'm a person that has a extremely low carbon footprint and your obnoxious nature is putting me off even bothering with you.

The fact you're using people going on school runs as a reason to blockade the M25, right, most people using the M25 are going on school runs.

Why do you never protest in Windsor or South Kensington? Why are you not blockading up gas guzzling Bentley's and Range Rovers?

I'm obnoxious? Look in the mirror pal.
I'm not blocking anything but I understand their protest and why they choose places for maximum disruption/impact.
I live in London, I cycle to work everyday, a 40km round trip, rain, wind or snow. My kid walks or cycles to school every day.
I own a car but apart for visiting family up North I rarely use it.
All I hear down here is whining about congestion zones, the ULEZ. The council tried to put in safe/quiet streets in to try to reduce traffic but the Range Rover & SUV brigade along with the angry gammons made a stink. You don't need to be rich here apparently to have an SUV. there are often two per household. My neighbour has 5 cars at their household. He has 2, his son has 1 his wife and daughter both have an SUV. They drive everywhere. They are not unusual.
The area has the heavily used M11, the carpark that is the M25, the A12 and the other car park the A406 all in the vicinity.
Lockdown was fantastic as the air no longer smelt like dog shit every evening from all the diesel pollution. Now it does again.

Anyway please feel free to not bother with me all you like. You are appropriately named, I'll give you that.
Gently caress off back to your Top Gear videos.
Ta-ra.

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2902 on: September 22, 2021, 12:03:58 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-58649286

Some on here will be pleased with this.

It doesn't really matter as we're definitely not heading for climate meltdown

::)
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #2903 on: September 22, 2021, 12:48:57 pm »
What was the purpose of blocking the motorway anyway? How come they haven't tried to disrupt a big company or government building with this?

Like people have said, whether they are right or wrong in their beliefs they have just made themselves look daft and that fella that has been in the media has made it worse. Didn't come across well at all.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2904 on: September 22, 2021, 12:52:15 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-58649286

Good move and a sensible injunction. They have no right to sit in the middle of a motorway disrupting thousands of people's lives and more importantly putting the lives of the emergency services at risk. I think all they've achieved is to turn the majority of people against their cause.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2905 on: September 22, 2021, 12:55:46 pm »
Good move and a sensible injunction. They have no right to sit in the middle of a motorway disrupting thousands of people's lives and more importantly putting the lives of the emergency services at risk. I think all they've achieved is to turn the majority of people against their cause.

Wait till you see the disruption caused by climate change

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2906 on: September 22, 2021, 12:57:06 pm »

And sitting in the middle of motorway will help combat climate change?
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #2907 on: September 22, 2021, 01:17:01 pm »

As you clearly support the actions, please can you answer my genuine question?
What was the purpose of blocking the motorway anyway? How come they haven't tried to disrupt a big company or government building with this?

We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Anfield Kopite

• Will vote for anyone who gives out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2908 on: September 22, 2021, 02:03:29 pm »
what the fuck?

Stopping or slowing down  ambulances can be  life threatening to the poor person needing one. Arseholes.

Offline lobsterboy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2909 on: September 22, 2021, 06:40:25 pm »
Meanwhile the WHO says air pollution has killed 7 million.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2910 on: September 22, 2021, 08:24:38 pm »
Meanwhile the WHO says air pollution has killed 7 million.

It's the greatest environmental threat to human health in the world.

All the most populous cities in he world are in breach of their targets.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2911 on: September 22, 2021, 08:26:57 pm »
Fancy getting a prison sentence for demanding better home insulation. 

Offline scatman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2912 on: September 22, 2021, 09:27:46 pm »
I'm obnoxious? Look in the mirror pal.
I'm not blocking anything but I understand their protest and why they choose places for maximum disruption/impact.
I live in London, I cycle to work everyday, a 40km round trip, rain, wind or snow. My kid walks or cycles to school every day.
I own a car but apart for visiting family up North I rarely use it.
All I hear down here is whining about congestion zones, the ULEZ. The council tried to put in safe/quiet streets in to try to reduce traffic but the Range Rover & SUV brigade along with the angry gammons made a stink. You don't need to be rich here apparently to have an SUV. there are often two per household. My neighbour has 5 cars at their household. He has 2, his son has 1 his wife and daughter both have an SUV. They drive everywhere. They are not unusual.
The area has the heavily used M11, the carpark that is the M25, the A12 and the other car park the A406 all in the vicinity.
Lockdown was fantastic as the air no longer smelt like dog shit every evening from all the diesel pollution. Now it does again.

Anyway please feel free to not bother with me all you like. You are appropriately named, I'll give you that.
Gently caress off back to your Top Gear videos.
Ta-ra.

You own a car and you're calling me out - someone who doesnt drive nor have a car for apparently watching Top Gear videos (yeah i obviously have a great interest in cars ::) ). Hypocrite, you have a fucking car, you've got no right to dictate any shit to anyone, you are a polluter. Moaning about other people having cars when you fucking have one yourself.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2913 on: September 23, 2021, 07:48:16 am »
Makes me laugh the amount of "....my mum was dying and taking her last breath in the back of the car because these protestors stopped her getting to the hospital" stories that crop up when there are these protests.

RIP to those mums who did die in the back of the car though,

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #2914 on: September 23, 2021, 07:53:29 am »
I don't think protesting is wrong. I think its wrong to protest at the inconvenience of others.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2915 on: September 23, 2021, 09:29:35 am »
Just seen yesterday rather than stopping a junction when the lights were on red they ran across a live motorway and sat down in front of moving traffic.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2916 on: September 23, 2021, 09:45:26 am »
Just seen yesterday rather than stopping a junction when the lights were on red they ran across a live motorway and sat down in front of moving traffic.

We need to bang up all these terrorists!

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2917 on: September 23, 2021, 09:51:49 am »
We need to bang up all these terrorists!

Glad you're on board Priti.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2918 on: September 23, 2021, 09:54:10 am »
I mean the other option is to just tell the police to leave them to it and see how long it takes before one of them gets themselves killed running across a motorway with moving traffic. Blocking traffic at the top of junctions is one thing, but doing that is just incredibly reckless. Imagine the impact on the driver, their family, and the terrorist's family if they get hit and killed.

Offline lobsterboy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2919 on: September 23, 2021, 09:57:06 am »
You own a car and you're calling me out - someone who doesnt drive nor have a car for apparently watching Top Gear videos (yeah i obviously have a great interest in cars ::) ). Hypocrite, you have a fucking car, you've got no right to dictate any shit to anyone, you are a polluter. Moaning about other people having cars when you fucking have one yourself.

I just said I hardly ever use it? I commute every single day by cycle. We have one car in our household and it did less than 2,000 miles a year before COVID, even less since.
I wasn't calling you out on owning a car. I don't know if you have a car or not.
Not owning a car wouldn't stop you from watching Top Gear either. I still bet you love it, or at least you did until Clarkson got fired.

My problem is with those who own big SUVs etc. in cities, those who insist on driving everywhere, governments who put oil and cars before health and the environment and those who say its wrong to cause disruption with protests while turning a blind eye to very real consequences of ignoring or benefiting from the thing the protests are about.
The M25 is a massive car park and it causes huge amounts of pollution in the area. That's why it was targeted.

Anyway what part of feel free to ignore me and gently caress yourself wasn't clear?