Author Topic: Climate Emergency is already here. How much worse it gets is still up to us (?)  (Read 381113 times)

Offline Crumble

• It's rhyming slang
  • Kopite
I have a very basic question that I can't seem to find the answer to.

Suppose I waved a magic wand and, as of today, the planet hit net zero for greenhouse emissions and stayed there going forward.

Would the global rise immediately stabilise at the current ~1.2c above pre-industrial levels? Or would things continue to get worse for a while?

I know it's all academic, but it would be nice to get a better feel of what's facing us. So, anyone know?

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I have a very basic question that I can't seem to find the answer to.

Suppose I waved a magic wand and, as of today, the planet hit net zero for greenhouse emissions and stayed there going forward.

Would the global rise immediately stabilise at the current ~1.2c above pre-industrial levels? Or would things continue to get worse for a while?

I know it's all academic, but it would be nice to get a better feel of what's facing us. So, anyone know?

1.1 C is already locked it, so yes, if all GHG emissions were to reach net zero now, that is where we would be at.  Every point matters!  We are currently projected to reach 2.7 C of warming by 2100.

These are global averages of course.  The rate of change is not evenly distributed - some areas are experiencing higher rates than that already.

« Last Edit: November 1, 2021, 08:41:59 am by Red-Soldier »

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Queueing chaos outside Cop26 venue as leaders arrive – live

Thousands of delegates are queueing for security as the UN climate conference prepares to begin

Fiona Harvey

Scenes like this have not been seen at a Cop since the poorly prepared Copenhagen conference in 2009. A crowd of many hundreds, probably at least 2,000 just in the forward bit, gathered at the entrance where there seemed to be no preparation, no attempt to encourage people to queue rather than simply press forward, no pretence at social distancing.

People are packed together closely with no option but to press ahead because of the stream of new people arriving behind. The queue has been moving at a speed of roughly 10 to 15 feet per hour by the estimates of a few people here. There seems little prospect of improvement and at this rate thousands of people will be standing outside for hours.

I stood in a similar queue on Friday. This time, thankfully, it is not raining but they could have had a better plan for queue management. Like many people here I’ve already had a long journey, having left before 8am to get here, so there’s a lot of weariness in the crowd here before we even get started but everyone is still in good spirits and just eager to get in.

It is inexplicable that the Scottish hosts have not managed this better having had nearly two years to prepare. They knew 30,000 people would come.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
I like the way it’s phrased as ‘Scottish hosts’ even though this is a UK event rather then a Scottish one.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

is there anything more symbolic than this. world leaders all travelling needlessy to aimlessly throw money to try solve a problem with a couple coins with no urgency.
YNWA.

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Cop26 will be whitest and most privileged ever, warn campaigners

Thousands from frontline communities in global south have been excluded, activists claim

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/oct/30/cop26-will-be-whitest-and-most-privileged-ever-warn-campaigners

Our government really are scum!

those that are going to be most affected being excluded and it's not shocking in the slightest.
YNWA.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Can't see much coming out of this conference to be honest. No Russia, China or India so that's 3B people not being represented.

Australia's 2050 (not 2030) goals are based on as yet proven science as they don't want to impose a tax/levy or upset the regional/country voters where all the mining occurs.

Boris is using it purely as a distraction to the Covid-19 and Brexit fiascos the UK is currently suffering under. You could call it his 'Falkland Islands' moment. Trying to bring the UK together to fight a common enemy.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
Queueing chaos outside Cop26 venue as leaders arrive – live

Thousands of delegates are queueing for security as the UN climate conference prepares to begin

Wolf Blitzer had the right idea....

https://twitter.com/wolfblitzer/status/1455118286736134149

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
those that are going to be most affected being excluded and it's not shocking in the slightest.

No, it isn't.

This has been the overriding theme of the issue from the very beginning.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Can't see much coming out of this conference to be honest. No Russia, China or India so that's 3B people not being represented.

Australia's 2050 (not 2030) goals are based on as yet proven science as they don't want to impose a tax/levy or upset the regional/country voters where all the mining occurs.

Boris is using it purely as a distraction to the Covid-19 and Brexit fiascos the UK is currently suffering under. You could call it his 'Falkland Islands' moment. Trying to bring the UK together to fight a common enemy.
India and Russia are both attending. Putin isn't there but a delegation is.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Not just Sportswashing.............perhaps some Greenwashing too??

Oil-rich Saudi Arabia has often tried to frustrate progress at previous Cop26 climate summits, but it appears to be seeking better PR.

Environment editor Damian Carrington reports being sent this unsolicited DM via Twitter:

“Hi dear, we have a Saudi campaign promoting the environment initiatives happening there. We would like you to participate with us by tweeting about it. May i know if its possible and how much would u charge per tweet”

A source at the Saudi embassy in the UK said the approach had nothing to do with the government of the kingdom.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
India and Russia are both attending. Putin isn't there but a delegation is.

Sorry G20 they were a no show.

Australia should give this a miss considering our 'no coal phase out' stand. Doesn't matter that we bounce from flood, to drought, to extreme heat, coral bleaching of the Great Barrier Reef.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I like the way it’s phrased as ‘Scottish hosts’ even though this is a UK event rather then a Scottish one.

Westminster have done their utmost to exclude the Scottish Government from the event.

Indeed there was a Private Eye story with a government source saying their were 3 targets for the event.

The first 2 I cna't remember exactly but were basically what you'd expect with a good agreement being reached. The third was to make sure Sturgeon didn't get a photo  op with Biden.

But yeah Mundell has already been raising questions trying to blame organisation on Glasgow Council.

Offline Shankly998

• Legacy Fan
No new commitments from China meaning they'll reach net zero by 2060 and India have announced they'll be net zero by 2070...
Stick a fork in the conference its done already two degrees plus warming here we come.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-59103425

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
No new commitments from China meaning they'll reach net zero by 2060 and India have announced they'll be net zero by 2070...
Stick a fork in the conference its done already two degrees plus warming here we come.
Considering far wealthier nations like the UK and Australia have set their timeframes for becoming carbon neutral by 2050, I think 2060 and 2070 seems reasonable for developing nations.

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

meanwhile space coloniser Elon Musk is talking about getting people on Mars. our priorities are all wrong.
YNWA.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
meanwhile space coloniser Elon Musk is talking about getting people on Mars. our priorities are all wrong.

And Zuckerberg is taking us into the virtual world. Madness that these types of billionaires are taking us away from what needs to be fixed.

I've said it before, but Ben Elton's novel 'Stark' was has right on the money 30 years ago.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

It's not all about the long-term, net zero targets. All action matters.  We need to focus on the present much more.  Targets can always be revisited and actions can be ramped up, year on year.
« Last Edit: November 2, 2021, 10:32:23 am by Red-Soldier »

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
And Zuckerberg is taking us into the virtual world. Madness that these types of billionaires are taking us away from what needs to be fixed.

I've said it before, but Ben Elton's novel 'Stark' was has right on the money 30 years ago.

The super-rich are generally bad for communities, people and the planet.

Offline villagelife

• 100 degree villageidiot
  • Main Stander
Considering far wealthier nations like the UK and Australia have set their timeframes for becoming carbon neutral by 2050, I think 2060 and 2070 seems reasonable for developing nations.

A lot depends on Land mass and location and having a grid. Australia should be easy, the small population compared to the sizeof the country, you would think a combination of solar, wind and nuclear would be a relatively simple process to sort. India too, plenty of coastline plenty of windy uplands, and solar enery and water should be viable, possibly not having grids to be able to re-route that power is the complicated bit.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
A lot depends on Land mass and location and having a grid. Australia should be easy, the small population compared to the sizeof the country, you would think a combination of solar, wind and nuclear would be a relatively simple process to sort. India too, plenty of coastline plenty of windy uplands, and solar enery and water should be viable, possibly not having grids to be able to re-route that power is the complicated bit.
As I understand the infrastructure just isn't there at the moment in India to completely make use of renewable energy. Migrating to 50% of total energy coming from renewable energy by 2030 seems a sensible target.

Offline villagelife

• Main Stander
The super-rich are generally bad for communities, people and the planet.

The super rich dont live forever though, in reality they only influential for a couple of decades and afterwards the fortunes soon get dwindeled away, its the mega corps that could last forever thats worrying. I personally feel that once a company reaches a certain value on the stock market, it should be broken up into smaller compnonents.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
As I understand the infrastructure just isn't there at the moment in India to completely make use of renewable energy. Migrating to 50% of total energy coming from renewable energy by 2030 seems a sensible target.

The thing that always gets me about coal power is that it has to be mined which uses lots of power, shipped out of a country via boat using very dirty non-renewable fuel and then moved via diesel powered trains to a power plant to create energy.

With wind and solar, you expend energy building the fields around the power station once. There's very little cost in getting something to it's starting point.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The super rich dont live forever though, in reality they only influential for a couple of decades and afterwards the fortunes soon get dwindeled away, its the mega corps that could last forever thats worrying. I personally feel that once a company reaches a certain value on the stock market, it should be broken up into smaller compnonents.

Obviously, but they have a disproportional (negative) impact on the planet, compared to the average person.

Do they...........?
« Last Edit: November 2, 2021, 11:27:02 am by Red-Soldier »

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

? yes they don't live forever but their legacies do, including creating intergenerational wealth that is far larger than many people can imagine or even understand. Tesla will still be around and Musk's children (X Æ A-Xii et al) and every generation of theirs going forward until the world is done will benefit off his hoarding of wealth at the detriment of other people. if the earth is still around as an example Musk's wealth will be ever present in every generation of his family.

billionaires should not be a thing. corporations that are now essentially ever-present and hold monopolies also should ideally not exist either, or be vastly better regulated, but with anything it'll always be too late. in the meantime all these people and businesses are ruining the earth as we know it, both in the shorter term and longer term.
« Last Edit: November 2, 2021, 11:24:29 am by RainbowFlick »
YNWA.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
I see the terrorists have blocked roads around Manchester airport today. I go on my first holiday in over 2 years next week, with my gf who is traveling to see her sister she's seen once in that time, and they'll be getting dragged the fuck out the way if they block us getting the airport.

Offline villagelife

• Main Stander
? yes they don't live forever but their legacies do, including creating intergenerational wealth that is far larger than many people can imagine or even understand. Tesla will still be around and Musk's children (X Æ A-Xii et al) and every generation of theirs going forward until the world is done will benefit off his hoarding of wealth at the detriment of other people. if the earth is still around as an example Musk's wealth will be ever present in every generation of his family.

billionaires should not be a thing. corporations that are now essentially ever-present and hold monopolies also should ideally not exist either, or be vastly better regulated, but with anything it'll always be too late. in the meantime all these people and businesses are ruining the earth as we know it, both in the shorter term and longer term.

Very seldom do they leave non beneficial legacies, and have you heard about the 3rd generation effect on family money. We are on the same page abouit Telsa though, big corporations need to be broken up when they reach a certain size.

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
I see the terrorists have blocked roads around Manchester airport today. I go on my first holiday in over 2 years next week, with my gf who is traveling to see her sister she's seen once in that time, and they'll be getting dragged the fuck out the way if they block us getting the airport.

They're doing a fantastic job of Alienating people from their cause!!  Got no sympathy for these idiots anymore.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/live-traffic-brought-standstill-near-22038361

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020

terrorists?!

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
Some people clearly either don't see the bigger picture or just don't give a single fuck about anyone else.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Some people clearly either don't see the bigger picture or just don't give a single fuck about anyone else.

Weirdly, you can see the bigger picture, give a fuck about others, and not feel people gluing yourself in the middle of the road to disrupt Joe Public and potentially cause massive safety issues is the right way to go about things.

Bizarre, I know.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Weirdly, you can see the bigger picture, give a fuck about others, and not feel people gluing yourself in the middle of the road to disrupt Joe Public and potentially cause massive safety issues is the right way to go about things.

Bizarre, I know.

They should protest somewhere more convenient where no one will notice them. That'll get everyone on board.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Funnily enough this sort of rhetoric from the people against the protests is pretty alienating itself.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
They should protest somewhere more convenient where no one will notice them. That'll get everyone on board.

To be fair, it would probably leave them with more support than currently.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA

You think they are getting "everyone on board" currently? If anything they're doing the complete opposite.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Funnily enough this sort of rhetoric from the people against the protests is pretty alienating itself.

to be honest it was more to wind up one certain poster who seems determined to call anyone who doesn't agree with them a Tory.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
You think they are getting "everyone on board" currently? If anything they're doing the complete opposite.

Mate, you're calling them terrorists ffs so I doubt there's any answer I could give that's going to further this discussion in any helpful way.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Mate, you're calling them terrorists ffs so I doubt there's any answer I could give that's going to further this discussion in any helpful way.

to be honest it was more to wind up one certain poster who seems determined to call anyone who doesn't agree with them a Tory.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Its a tricky one, but the protests just don't really seem aimed at the people it should be aimed at. Thus just pissing off the general public. Correct me if I'm wrong, the whole protest is aimed at insulating every house in the country by 2030? I just don't get how this helps achieve that in any way.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
Its a tricky one, but the protests just don't really seem aimed at the people it should be aimed at. Thus just pissing off the general public. Correct me if I'm wrong, the whole protest is aimed at insulating every house in the country by 2030? I just don't get how this helps achieve that in any way.

The only reasoning I have seen is that it creates awareness to the general public. I just don't understand how they can't see that it also creates masses going against them too. Especially when they got on TV to make their point and the guy they sent on was a knob.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks