Author Topic: Brendan Rodgers: An Insight  (Read 178192 times)

Offline liverpoolfan1970

• Anny Roader
  • Anarcho-Capitalist
Re: Brendan Rodgers: An Insight
« Reply #320 on: May 30, 2012, 07:34:02 pm »
so is this what we've got to look forward to next season?
lots of pro Rafa people just waiting to pounce on every bad result and say "see, should have got Rafa?"

Bouncer's post is the kind of thoughtless stupid knee jerk post that makes me often simply avoid forums.

I was and always will be pro-Rafa. But I'd like to think I put a bit of analysis and thought into things before I open my mouth.

This is the kind of appointment which we've needed. A young UP AND COMING manager who can be a part of the revolution taking place. I can't wait to see what he does with the players we've got and the ones we will bring in.
YNWA

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #321 on: May 30, 2012, 07:34:08 pm »
*sighs*

Well, I wish him the very best of luck, but I don't think Mr. Rodgers himself would put himself at the same level as Kenny or Rafa.

And he will have my full support long after most of the people on here will be calling for his head.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Z e u s

• Greek God of Whinging. But for the good of the forum! Son of Moanus and Rhea.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #322 on: May 30, 2012, 07:34:09 pm »
Take your points but Chelsea finished 6th and have bought Hazard and Marin. City excellent squad couple of loopers but can turf them out and by the best available. Utd money making machine . Arsenal the same. for me they are the top four for next 4-5 years. Just saying give Rodgers time bring players from the lower divisions/reserves in enjoy our football for 2-3 years and play good football. My guess the target this year was top four and the whole club suffered due to us striving towards this goal. Kenny knew he was out if we did not make it and I believe it showed in our standard of play post January and the chances we missed. Too much was asked of Kenny too quick but I think he knew he was on a hiding to nothing and the way Arsenal started last year we had a chink of hope quite simply VP started to fire for them something which we did not have. Anyway I digress back to Brendan all the best son by the sounds of it on here you are going to need it.

I am not saying if he doesn't get top four I'll want him sacked or anything.

He needs time, just like Dalglish needed and didn't get.

But top four is a very much achievable IMO and has to be the target at the beginning of the season.

Offline neutron

• Anny Roader
  • Used to be 6 bob to get in...yadder, yadder
    • The Phil Newton Website
« Reply #323 on: May 30, 2012, 07:34:34 pm »
There's a generation of us who'll need the whole summer to accept the fact that for the first time we are older than the Liverpool FC manager!

Excellent news, welcome Mr Rodgers

Welcome to my world!!

Offline theshirtmyfatherwore

• Main Stander
  • we had dreams and songs to sing.
« Reply #324 on: May 30, 2012, 07:34:38 pm »
why the fuck are people judging already, he aint even got a car parking space yet and hes not good enough

get a fucking grip , were liverpool fc supporters so fucking support them, from the manager , players to the fucking groundsman were all LFC.

A LIVERBIRD UPON MY CHEST !!!!

WELCOME TO ANFIELD MR RODGERS - GOOD LUCK

Offline CLOCKSPEED

• his processor is underclocked
  • Kopite
« Reply #325 on: May 30, 2012, 07:34:57 pm »
I am totally agains this appointment and fear for our future but if it is confirmed, then he's our guy and we have to support and give him a chance.  I hope he proves us all wrong.  This is a big risk, some might say a really stupid one when we have a proven candidate with a track record of spending money extremely wisely, something crucial for our future success.  Nonetheless, who knows.  Rodgers might turn out to be the next Shankly although I wouldn't be putting my money on it.

As I have said above it is not a "risky" appointment . They know we cannot make top 4 . They wanted this in place last year (probably with Martinez). They give Kenny a shot which they saw as win win i.e if we got top 4 they got their revenue and we kept Kenny and if we didnt Kenny would be sacked removing obstacle to progress(in their eyes). We will not be near relegation next year nor will we be in top 4 for me ideal time to appoint a young manager and try and build for the future.

On a side issue I think Rodgers has shown a bit of balls by taking a job with a reported 3 year contract. For me this shows he has confidence in his ability to get results and thus an extension. Would have been holding out for 5 myself.

Offline stonty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #327 on: May 30, 2012, 07:38:35 pm »
I am excited and pleased to have a manager in place to begin planning for the new season, and while I might have had a preference for another candidate, I think that at this point, getting back to normal is the most important thing. This interregnum has been a killer, and I have been upset by the club's chosen manner of doing its business in public. Brendan Rodgers though appears to be an able, articulate and ambitious young manager, and I wish him all the best.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Shanks1965

• SOS member 981
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 friends who we all miss...
« Reply #328 on: May 30, 2012, 07:38:43 pm »
Got a good feeling about this if it happens.
Seen more titles than he can remember...

Offline Hunts Cross

• but Cech's furious.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: May 30, 2012, 07:39:20 pm »
As I have said above it is not a "risky" appointment . They know we cannot make top 4 . They wanted this in place last year (probably with Martinez). They give Kenny a shot which they saw as win win i.e if we got top 4 they got their revenue and we kept Kenny and if we didnt Kenny would be sacked removing obstacle to progress(in their eyes). We will not be near relegation next year nor will we be in top 4 for me ideal time to appoint a young manager and try and build for the future.

On a side issue I think Rodgers has shown a bit of balls by taking a job with a reported 3 year contract. For me this shows he has confidence in his ability to get results and thus an extension. Would have been holding out for 5 myself.

What a load of tosh. They appointed KK, it wasn't something done to them. I bet you believe in aliens and think vaccines are an evil conspiracy?

Offline mysterio_86

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: May 30, 2012, 07:41:57 pm »
I just hope he spend money to build a team around Suarez rather last transfer window where money was dumped down the drain to build around english donkey
Sebastion Coates, Suso, Sterling, Shelvey, Samed Yesil, SinclairSama, Smichael Ngoo, Sryan McLaughlin, Sjordan Ibe, - The S Law

Offline Ma Vie en Rouge

• J'aime voir...!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: May 30, 2012, 07:42:03 pm »

This man if he's appointed should be in the job five years come what may. Good. Bad. Indifferent. Give the lad a chance and give the lad time.

Absolutely this. If we're going to take a chance on a young, unproven manager, he needs time and total support from the owners. Otherwise it's a pointless exercise and would suggest they are expecting instant miracles. Whenever I've heard Rodgers speak, he appears to be a very intelligent, driven, independent character. His team played excellent, courageous football all last season. He stands miles apart from traditional British managers with no desire to learn from other cultures and their stubborn belief in the methods and madness of orthodox English football. There are no guarantees, but I think there's plenty of reason to be optimistic about Rodgers (assuming he is our next manager) and at the very least, we'll be playing to a set of principles and ideals that most Liverpool fans should applaud. I hope the man gets some serious money to spend this summer, and am really looking forward to watching us under him next season.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #332 on: May 30, 2012, 07:42:07 pm »
Got a good feeling about this if it happens.

It has happened, Wikipedia says so...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendan_Rodgers

Offline CLOCKSPEED

• Kopite
« Reply #333 on: May 30, 2012, 07:42:26 pm »

But top four is a very much achievable IMO and has to be the target at the beginning of the season.
I will take 6th upwards to be honest . Hope Andy fires at euros (and I have a sneaking suspicion he will) Gerrard and Johnson dont get injured/burn out and we get a flying start to season. Come December hopefully ,unlike this year, we can push on.

Offline Ikki.Fenikkusu

• Anny Roader
« Reply #334 on: May 30, 2012, 07:43:39 pm »
I find it mystifying that people push the "he needs 5 years" line. Liverpool fans have well and truly lost the plot and lost their identity. Managers should not be learning their trade on our bench.

Offline Callaghan.

• Enjoys a roasted nut (preferably the 'TonyTheRedNosedReindeer' variety)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: May 30, 2012, 07:43:56 pm »
Credit to Callaghan too who, through the quality of his research and postings, single-handedly changed the minds of quite a few RAWKites, making them re-appraise their views on BR.

In fact, his posting were so clever, so persuasive that one might think that:

is, in fact 

Regardless, good job Callaghan!!!   :wellin

Really kind words and greatly appreciated. Thank you.

By the way, maybe you missed this:

FSG have done a pretty good job with the majority being for Rodgers! a couple of weeks back would have been very different replacing Kenny with Rodgers.
If they've got Callaghan (the poster, not Ian) on the payroll and asked him to start this thread then I'd agree with you. Otherwise, I think our man deserves some credit for the groundswell of support Rodgers has received the past week. Impressive reading to say the least.

I am Jen Chang.

Offline Shanks1965

• SOS member 981
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: May 30, 2012, 07:44:15 pm »
It has happened, Wikipedia says so...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendan_Rodgers
I obviously need to pick up the pace then.

Offline WhiteHeat

• Legacy Fan
  • wants the traditions of LFC back.
« Reply #337 on: May 30, 2012, 07:44:16 pm »
I just hope he spend money to build a team around Suarez rather last transfer window where money was dumped down the drain to build around english donkey

FFS

Offline Shanks1965

• SOS member 981
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: May 30, 2012, 07:45:30 pm »
Hope the weather is fine during your ban.

Offline rickythered

• facedranter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We won it 5 Times
« Reply #339 on: May 30, 2012, 07:46:11 pm »
Have a really good feeling about Rodgers, He has certainly been around the block and learned his trade from the very best. We all need to show some patience and give the new man all our support and understand it may be a bumpy ride back to the top.

Welcome to Liverpool Mr Rodgers and you'll never walk alone.
“The Liverpool jersey has become heavy to wear and I want to change that.” Brendan Rodger's

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #340 on: May 30, 2012, 07:48:09 pm »
Really admiring your restraint Andy.
[snip]Miserable load of old rot[/snip]
Whatever the opposite of admiring is, that's what I offer to you.  And then some.

The only negatives I can come up with are those associated with other managers I would have liked not getting it.  Actual negatives about the man who has got the job are escaping me.

Welcome to the club, Brendan Rodgers.  Yes, I went there.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline CLOCKSPEED

• Kopite
« Reply #341 on: May 30, 2012, 07:49:09 pm »
What a load of tosh. They appointed KK, it wasn't something done to them. I bet you believe in aliens and think vaccines are an evil conspiracy?

Your opinion/ my reading of the situation. Roy (and the fans) forced their hand and cirumstances transpired which made it inevitable Kenny was offered job. I think you are now seeing their strategy for the future it has just been delayed by 18 months.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: May 30, 2012, 07:50:46 pm »
Official now then, Swansea chairman just released a statement on the clubs site.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #343 on: May 30, 2012, 07:51:55 pm »
http://www.swanseacity.net/page/Latest/0,,10354~2793289,00.html

A statement from Swansea City chairman Huw Jenkins:

"I was contacted by Liverpool last night and they expressed their wish to speak to Brendan regarding their vacancy.

"I had a discussion with Brendan to talk about their interest and his views on whether he wanted to speak to Liverpool.

"He expressed his wish with me to do that and he has spoken to Liverpool today.

"Following on from discussions with Liverpool's owners, Brendan has informed us that he would like to take up their offer to manage Liverpool.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline sgt bilbo

• Main Stander
  • I have seen the light and it's red
« Reply #344 on: May 30, 2012, 07:52:03 pm »
Brendan Rodgers new boss of Liverpool f.c, chuffed as he is from Ireland just up the rd in Carnlough and will back him to the hilt, think he has a great future ahead of him i just hope this isnt a move to soon for him as just as the above article said he is one of the good guys.
So Mr Rodgers welcome to Liverpool and good luck.

Offline kenworthy

• but Deirdre isn't
  • Legacy Fan
  • He hits them from 40 yards...
« Reply #345 on: May 30, 2012, 07:52:06 pm »
I find it mystifying that people push the "he needs 5 years" line. Liverpool fans have well and truly lost the plot and lost their identity. Managers should not be learning their trade on our bench.

Not a matter of learning the trade. It's a matter of stability. Some of the best managers in the world have suffered horrendous starts to their careers/new managerial posts.
★      ★      ★      ★      ★
77     78     81     84     05
               YNWA

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #346 on: May 30, 2012, 07:52:27 pm »
I am excited and pleased to have a manager in place to begin planning for the new season, and while I might have had a preference for another candidate, I think that at this point, getting back to normal is the most important thing. This interregnum has been a killer, and I have been upset by the club's chosen manner of doing its business in public. Brendan Rodgers though appears to be an able, articulate and ambitious young manager, and I wish him all the best.

Can't remember when that happened, bar the accidental Martinez photo.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline bclfc

• Legacy Fan
  • I think my F5 has gone weird
    • The Who Boys
« Reply #347 on: May 30, 2012, 07:56:36 pm »
I do find it laughable some saying they chose a manager "in public".  No, the media went all ape-shit about it, like they always do.  End of.

But anyway, excited about the appointment.  A fresh start.  Let's do this.
"If people trust and love you, you will never walk alone." - Philippos

Quote from: shanklyboy on April  3, 2006, 12:04:44 AM

IF YOU'RE EVER SKINT ROMAN
          WE'VE GOT 5 EUROS

Offline kenworthy

• but Deirdre isn't
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: May 30, 2012, 07:58:09 pm »
I do find it laughable some saying they chose a manager "in public".  No, the media went all ape-shit about it, like they always do.  End of.

But anyway, excited about the appointment.  A fresh start.  Let's do this.

Totally agree, only thing done in public was the media frenzy... and the sole paparazzi shot of Henry/Martinez sipping lattes.
               YNWA

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #349 on: May 30, 2012, 07:59:15 pm »
This is him talking and moving if you've never seen/heard him (I haven't)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18235961
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline lfcshaunod

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #350 on: May 30, 2012, 08:01:01 pm »

Cock
I'M NOT NED STARK'S BASTARD!!!

Offline Gainsbarre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: May 30, 2012, 08:01:23 pm »
Brendan Rodgers BR - Rafa Benitez RB... mhh..a sign?
"Blackstone was targeted by Internet terrorists," Hicks said. "It absolutely had an impact on them."

Offline American_Kopite

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA. JFT96.
« Reply #352 on: May 30, 2012, 08:01:53 pm »
The discussion of nicknames has already begun far and wide across the interwebs:

Brendan Rodgers
Brendan Rodgers
Buck Rodgers
Bren-Rod (which sounds like an awful sex position)
Big Bren
BR

... the list goes on
YNWA - JFT96. I have an unhealthy obsession with Xabi Alonso. Don't tell my girlfriend.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #353 on: May 30, 2012, 08:02:07 pm »
Brendan Rodgers BR - Rafa Benitez RB... mhh..a sign?

So we'll finish in seventh place next season but end up winning the Champions League?
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline kenworthy

• but Deirdre isn't
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: May 30, 2012, 08:03:19 pm »
The discussion of nicknames has already begun far and wide across the interwebs:

Brendan Rodgers
Brendan Rodgers
Buck Rodgers
Bren-Rod (which sounds like an awful sex position)
Big Bren
BR

... the list goes on

Fan of Big Bren
               YNWA

Offline American_Kopite

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA. JFT96.
« Reply #355 on: May 30, 2012, 08:03:52 pm »
So we'll finish in seventh place next season but end up winning the Champions League?

Fine by me. A trophy and CL qualification. Sounds about right.
YNWA - JFT96. I have an unhealthy obsession with Xabi Alonso. Don't tell my girlfriend.

Offline Gainsbarre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: May 30, 2012, 08:04:07 pm »

I'll wait and see.. but I dont know why really I'm quit optimistic about that guy.. he'll be fine on the banners..
"Blackstone was targeted by Internet terrorists," Hicks said. "It absolutely had an impact on them."

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: May 30, 2012, 08:04:24 pm »
Fan of Big Bren

How about ace (Red Dwarf fans'll get it) :D
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline American_Kopite

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA. JFT96.
« Reply #358 on: May 30, 2012, 08:05:00 pm »
Fan of Big Bren

I can see it on a banner

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: May 30, 2012, 08:05:16 pm »
Good fluid, possession based football, and occasionally beating a few of the big five teams is all we can realistically hope for. Consolidate 6th for a few seasons. Buy some promising young players, and gradually challenge for 4th in 3/4 years time, all things remaining equal. Think Rodgers will definitely get us playing good football, truthfully given the financial doping addicts at Chelsea and City (and the lack of will to really tackle this within Uefa), that is all we can hope for.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.