Author Topic: Brendan Rodgers: An Insight  (Read 177542 times)

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
Re: Brendan Rodgers: An Insight
« Reply #360 on: May 30, 2012, 08:05:29 pm »
Have to admit I was a bit underwhelmed about the news.  I wanted a proven manager with league titles and European Cups on their CV.  I wanted Rafa.

But having read the opening post of this thread, I'm now more excited than nervous.  Especially if we bring in van Gaal, seems Rodgers really looks up to him.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 08:08:32 pm by gray19lfc »

Offline gods_left_peg

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #361 on: May 30, 2012, 08:05:30 pm »
After reading all the articles on the front page I'm looking forward to seeing how we play next season. Rodgers seems to have a great knowledge of the game and is always looking to improve.

Stolen from twitter, I wonder if the owners sent him his copy of money ball ;D

“This club will always be the most important thing for ­millions of fans all over the world, just like Everton are the most important club to some people." - King Kenny

Offline Ikki.Fenikkusu

• Anny Roader
« Reply #362 on: May 30, 2012, 08:06:05 pm »
Not a matter of learning the trade. It's a matter of stability. Some of the best managers in the world have suffered horrendous starts to their careers/new managerial posts.

If he doesn't succeed he should be fired. No ifs and buts. This is Liverpool. He's already a huge risk. It's like betting over the top and then shoving all-in once you see the other person has 4 of a kind. It'd be stupid decision to let him continue if he does not have success within the first 2 years (at most).

Personally, if his future is destined not to be success I'd rather he crashed and burned so we could move on quickly than have mediocrity prolonged for years.

Offline TLW 84

• Kopite
« Reply #363 on: May 30, 2012, 08:06:23 pm »
Quite a few of us did, considering his sides had torn us to shreds twice competitively, and he had won La Liga with Valencia.
That's not saying a lot though is it mate? He knew all about them being skeptical about him when he arrived and about them being critical of his tactics before it took off. I don't know why he'd lie.

Offline Gainsbarre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: May 30, 2012, 08:07:15 pm »
Good fluid, possession based football, and occasionally beating a few of the big five teams is all we can realistically hope for. Consolidate 6th for a few seasons. Buy some promising young players, and gradually challenge for 4th in 3/4 years time, all things remaining equal. Think Rodgers will definitely get us playing good football, truthfully given the financial doping addicts at Chelsea and City (and the lack of will to really tackle this within Uefa), that is all we can hope for.

I think Rodgers will have two years for the CL qualification... so your plan is not much the american's one.. imo
"Blackstone was targeted by Internet terrorists," Hicks said. "It absolutely had an impact on them."

Offline kenworthy

• but Deirdre isn't
  • Legacy Fan
  • He hits them from 40 yards...
« Reply #365 on: May 30, 2012, 08:07:46 pm »
How about ace (Red Dwarf fans'll get it) :D

Haha!
And from American_Kopite: "I can see it on a banner"

Unless you're too short/a dwarf?
★      ★      ★      ★      ★
77     78     81     84     05
               YNWA

Offline djschembri

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #366 on: May 30, 2012, 08:08:34 pm »
I'm excited about him. He talks a lot of sense, he plays football the way it should be played. You have to admire the work he has done at Swansea. They played us off the park at Anfield.

Welcome Rodgers.

Offline Lucas DuoFlush

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring Poulsy back!
« Reply #367 on: May 30, 2012, 08:08:51 pm »
He has, and always will be, Reliant Rodgins to me, and no amount of new nicknames will change that.
"Bos non modo animal, sed etiam mater" Lordanem Henderson

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #368 on: May 30, 2012, 08:09:12 pm »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline kenworthy

• but Deirdre isn't
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: May 30, 2012, 08:09:33 pm »
               YNWA

Offline lfcshaunod

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #370 on: May 30, 2012, 08:09:41 pm »
Sky Sports have got Garry Monk on the phone.

He sounds fuckimg gutted that Rodgers is leaving.
I'M NOT NED STARK'S BASTARD!!!

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: May 30, 2012, 08:10:28 pm »
seems as though he will be joining us before the weekend, hope he gets the backing from the owners financially and from the fans, his Swansea team certainly passed the tits of us last season, if his appointment brings us an attacking style with a few additions then hopefully next season will be an enjoyable one
i can tip em but cant back em

RAWK Aintree tipping champ 2013

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Brendan Rodgers: An Insight
« Reply #372 on: May 30, 2012, 08:11:16 pm »
I'd not 'picked' a preferred candidate or said I really wanted anyone in the last couple of weeks. The name that stood out for me initially (bar Rafa) was probably De Boer, but as the articles were put up and I read more about him, I'd become very keen on Rodgers. This appointment and the new structure, I hope, could herald something special for us in the next few seasons.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline kenworthy

• but Deirdre isn't
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: May 30, 2012, 08:11:17 pm »
If he doesn't succeed he should be fired. No ifs and buts. This is Liverpool. He's already a huge risk. It's like betting over the top and then shoving all-in once you see the other person has 4 of a kind. It'd be stupid decision to let him continue if he does not have success within the first 2 years (at most).

Personally, if his future is destined not to be success I'd rather he crashed and burned so we could move on quickly than have mediocrity prolonged for years.

Not exactly my idea of rebuilding from the already prolonged mediocrity. But to each his own.
               YNWA

Offline norecat

• Kopite
« Reply #374 on: May 30, 2012, 08:11:40 pm »
Welcome to Liverpool FC Brendan  :D Every good wishes in the job. If he is given time I think he can rebuild the club in a manner which will lay down roots for future sustainable success. He have the correct mindset in how he goes about the job, philosophy in how the game should be played and he always humbly references his working class background. Nice to have a fellow Irishman in the hot seat. I wonder will this be a landmark appointment for the club a la Mr Shankly. I'm excited!

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #375 on: May 30, 2012, 08:12:25 pm »
why don't we call him Kenny - as in Kenny Rogers.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
« Reply #376 on: May 30, 2012, 08:12:39 pm »
I'm very happy today. I think he'll be excellent.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #377 on: May 30, 2012, 08:13:04 pm »
I think Rodgers will have two years for the CL qualification... so your plan is not much the american's one.. imo
Well unless FSG plan to dip into their shallow pockets, I can't see how that is possible, unless, Rodgers is some kind of genius and can compete with the two c*nt financed teams, plus Arsenal, United and Spurs with a limited budget.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline lfcshaunod

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #378 on: May 30, 2012, 08:14:20 pm »

Behave you moaning fucker.

Give the bloke a fucking chance. He hasnt even signed yet and your calling for him to fail quickly.

Ridiculous post.

Offline kenworthy

• but Deirdre isn't
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: May 30, 2012, 08:14:20 pm »
why don't we call him Kenny - as in Kenny Rogers.

Too close to home.  ;)
               YNWA

Offline Heighwayondawing

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on The Reds
« Reply #380 on: May 30, 2012, 08:17:03 pm »
Jesus, aleady speculation on firing the man should he not succeed. I really dislike some of our "support".

Thanks for the articles, very informative.

Now everyone, support the Manager!
The one most important thing that we all must remember, in case it slipped our mind, is this club is much more important and bigger than anybody. I'll never forget that and anybody that does is being a wee bit irresponsible and stupid I think because the club is more important than any one individual. The Club is, The Club.

Offline Ikki.Fenikkusu

• Anny Roader
« Reply #381 on: May 30, 2012, 08:17:06 pm »
Not exactly my idea of rebuilding from the already prolonged mediocrity. But to each his own.

Liverpool are still a club that can attract coaches of the highest caliber - e.g. Benitez and AVB, but to name two. Coaches already renown for doing amazing things and changing the fortune of clubs quickly. This idea that we must give a relative unknown coach time to build is a fiction created by fans who wish to save face and create a visage of supporting the club, without being impartial/brave enough to call a duck a duck. If anything, it'd make more sense to give a coach who has achieved something more time.

If Liverpool aren't reaching their targets in year one of Rodgers reign, yet decide to hold him and he doesn't reach it in year two either...why in holy hell would you keep him for 3? Or 5 as some, unbelievably, say. It's a preposterous position based on unreasonable logic.

Offline stonty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #382 on: May 30, 2012, 08:17:35 pm »
To paraphrase Kenny Everett,

'Brendan Rodgers.... but doesn't everybody?'

Offline Ikki.Fenikkusu

• Anny Roader
« Reply #383 on: May 30, 2012, 08:18:35 pm »
Behave you moaning fucker.

Give the bloke a fucking chance. He hasnt even signed yet and your calling for him to fail quickly.

Ridiculous post.

Learn to read. I said if his destiny is to fail - an if, treated as a given in a hypothetical - then him failing badly gives us the courage to change course quickly. It is a far better alternative than to keep a mediocre level for years and wasting time.

Offline kkjellquist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: May 30, 2012, 08:19:31 pm »
Luís André de Pina Cabral e Villas-Boas, but to name two. Coaches already renown for doing amazing things and changing the fortune of clubs quickly.

Winning a one-horse race and getting run out of London after half a season is amazing?! hmmmmm
"Statistics are like bikinis—they show a lot but not everything." - Lou Piniella

Offline lfcshaunod

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #385 on: May 30, 2012, 08:19:41 pm »
Liverpool are still a club that can attract coaches of the highest caliber - e.g. Benitez and Luís André de Pina Cabral e Villas-Boas, but to name two. Coaches already renown for doing amazing things and changing the fortune of clubs quickly. This idea that we must give a relative unknown coach time to build is a fiction created by fans who wish to save face and create a visage of supporting the club, without being impartial/brave enough to call a duck a duck. If anything, it'd make more sense to give a coach who has achieved something more time.

If Liverpool aren't reaching their targets in year one of Rodgers reign, yet decide to hold him and he doesn't reach it in year two either...why in holy hell would you keep him for 3? Or 5 as some, unbelievably, say. It's a preposterous position based on unreasonable logic.

And what if....prepare yourself....he doesnt fail?!

Eh?! What about that?! What if he is brilliant?!

Fuck sake.

Offline finchy1972

• Legacy Fan
  • Here's a story of a poor boy
« Reply #386 on: May 30, 2012, 08:19:56 pm »
Made up to be honest I think he's going to make a few people eat humble pie
Whatever we are , we are , whatever we will be is yet to be written .

Offline YnWa99

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Tidy Darts
« Reply #387 on: May 30, 2012, 08:19:57 pm »

Nothing like a bit of support for a new recruit...

Joker.
"I think I have said it before, but there is no one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club." King Kenny, 1 Feb '11

Offline placidcasual

• Main Stander
  • No you won't fool the children of the Rafalution
« Reply #388 on: May 30, 2012, 08:20:42 pm »
I have to admit that if Martinez was appointed I would have been very disillusioned. But I'm very positive about Rodgers. He has been very astute in his dealings with Chelsea and Liverpool, is a real student of the game and his teams play lovely football. For the first time in 3 years I'm genuinely optimistic that Liverpool are on the way back up.

I'm not going to preach we should all get behind him because I hated when people said that to me about Hodgson but I am fully confident Rodgers will win the doubters around.

Onwards and Upwards

Offline djschembri

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: May 30, 2012, 08:20:47 pm »
He hasn't even signed a deal, and some people already want him to fail? You do understand that if he fails, then the club fails right. Pathetic.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #390 on: May 30, 2012, 08:20:50 pm »
Liverpool are still a club that can attract coaches of the highest caliber - e.g. Benitez and Luís André de Pina Cabral e Villas-Boas, but to name two. Coaches already renown for doing amazing things and changing the fortune of clubs quickly. This idea that we must give a relative unknown coach time to build is a fiction created by fans who wish to save face and create a visage of supporting the club, without being impartial/brave enough to call a duck a duck. If anything, it'd make more sense to give a coach who has achieved something more time.

So what do you suggest then? Boo the new manager from the off at the ground? Start an internet campaign to get him out?

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline rafa4eva

• Kopite
« Reply #391 on: May 30, 2012, 08:21:04 pm »
Wow.

Good luck Brendan, as hinsey said u do have some ruddy big wellies to fill!

Seems To have a philosophy of football which kind of aligns with rafa .... Which is a postive for me....

Then again he loves mourinho, so on principle that's a negative for me... Does no one else see the horns, forked tongue and general evil around the moaner???

All in all, decision taken, let's move forwards .... Together....I hope ....

Offline Ikki.Fenikkusu

• Anny Roader
« Reply #392 on: May 30, 2012, 08:22:15 pm »
Winning a one-horse race and getting run out of London after half a season is amazing?! hmmmmm

One horse race? He won every title he possibly could, including the UEFA cup. He went undefeated in the league. He won almost 90% of all the matches they played. To do just one of those things is notable, let alone doing all of them. And, ironically, he left Chelsea higher in the league than Di Matteo left them. A bad tenure with them, sure, but comparing CVs it is far better than Rodgers' and that is not debatable.

Offline Ikki.Fenikkusu

• Anny Roader
« Reply #393 on: May 30, 2012, 08:23:00 pm »
So what do you suggest then? Boo the new manager from the off at the ground? Start an internet campaign to get him out?

No. That if he is failing we remove him early - not as you suggested and give him 5 years to show he can't hack it.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #394 on: May 30, 2012, 08:23:17 pm »
Wow.

Good luck Brendan, as hinsey said u do have some ruddy big wellies to fill!

Seems To have a philosophy of football which kind of aligns with rafa .... Which is a postive for me....

Then again he loves mourinho, so on principle that's a negative for me... Does no one else see the horns, forked tongue and general evil around the moaner???

All in all, decision taken, let's move forwards .... Together....I hope ....

Mourinho hates Ferguson, the LMA, the British media and the FA.

Let's hope Brendan has been taught well.

Offline kenworthy

• but Deirdre isn't
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #395 on: May 30, 2012, 08:23:24 pm »

I'd prefer not to have the managerial carousel of some of the plastic Prem clubs that I won't name on this thread. Again, just my preference.
               YNWA

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #396 on: May 30, 2012, 08:24:23 pm »
No. That if he is failing we remove him early - not as you suggested and give him 5 years to show he can't hack it.

You really want LFC to fail don't you?

You think that a conveyer belt of managers at a club without unlimited funds is anything other than fucking ridiculous?

Offline Ikki.Fenikkusu

• Anny Roader
« Reply #397 on: May 30, 2012, 08:24:43 pm »
And what if....prepare yourself....he doesnt fail?!

Eh?! What about that?! What if he is brilliant?!

Fuck sake.

Genius, if he is brilliant then great, we keep him. I am contesting the idiotic logic that we keep him for 5 years if he is failing.

You really want LFC to fail don't you?

You think that a conveyer belt of managers at a club without unlimited funds is anything other than fucking ridiculous?

And how did you deduce that?

Offline kenworthy

• but Deirdre isn't
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #398 on: May 30, 2012, 08:25:17 pm »
One horse race? He won every title he possibly could, including the UEFA cup. He went undefeated in the league. He won almost 90% of all the matches they played. To do just one of those things is notable, let alone doing all of them. And, ironically, he left Chelsea higher in the league than Di Matteo left them. A bad tenure with them, sure, but comparing CVs it is far better than Rodgers' and that is not debatable.

Are you sure you're on the right forum?
               YNWA

Offline Ikki.Fenikkusu

• Anny Roader
« Reply #399 on: May 30, 2012, 08:27:11 pm »
I'd prefer not to have the managerial carousel of some of the plastic Prem clubs that I won't name on this thread. Again, just my preference.

So you'd forgo finding a solution quicker to later, so you don't disturb the sensibilities of neutrals? This kind of logic is not conducive to success.