Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5782779 times)

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: General Arsenal Thread
« Reply #41480 on: February 12, 2017, 07:55:50 am »
Allegri is an excellent coach, Arsenal will do just fine with him if they take the interest further.

Season isn't over yet so I wouldn't like to write it off.
It is interesting that Allegri is leaving Juventus after so much success, maybe he does have something lined up.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41481 on: February 12, 2017, 08:02:15 am »
Season isn't over yet so I wouldn't like to write it off.
It is interesting that Allegri is leaving Juventus after so much success, maybe he does have something lined up.

True, it seems Wenger will see the season out at least. Suits your potential new man as well, a fully controlled pre-season is something Italian coaches are very used to / need because of the amount of tactical work they put their charges through.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41482 on: February 12, 2017, 09:56:09 am »
True, it seems Wenger will see the season out at least. Suits your potential new man as well, a fully controlled pre-season is something Italian coaches are very used to / need because of the amount of tactical work they put their charges through.

I'm not convinced it'll be Allegri, but its not the worst shout.
I think its 50-50 whether Wenger stays or goes.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #41483 on: February 12, 2017, 10:13:57 am »
I'm not convinced it'll be Allegri, but its not the worst shout.
I think its 50-50 whether Wenger stays or goes.

I think he might go.

You can't blame in it he does as some of your fanbase not shown much respect recently.

Would he remain at Club in some capacity?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41484 on: February 12, 2017, 10:18:02 am »
I like Arsene and would miss him when he goes.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41485 on: February 12, 2017, 10:22:04 am »
Just my opinion. Poor fit, would get zero time from their fans, has failed before, inherited a great situation at Juventus. If it happens I guess we'll see.

I tend to agree. He found the perfect situation already in place and largely failed to make his own mark on the club. He has succeeded at Juve by closely following the Conte blueprint and system. When he tried to implement his own vision at the beginning of last season Juve went through their worst run of form  in years, winning 12 points from their first 10 matches in the league and only steadying the ship and going for a great run once they reverted to 352. I don't think he'd be necessarily a good fit for Arsenal and with most top clubs in Europe having a stable managerial situation it wouldn't be too difficult for them to pick their favourite candidate (whether it's Allegri, Sampaoli, Jardim, Tuchel or whoever else). .
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #41486 on: February 12, 2017, 11:45:02 am »
FA Cup next week and then the League Cup final the weekend after. Presumably they were due to play Southampton then, Man City-Man Utd has also been postponed.

With us crashing out of those, I kind of forgot about that.  :-[
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41487 on: February 12, 2017, 11:50:50 am »

Me too, he was great for the league. Also, i'd love to see Arsenal fans excuses when all of a sudden they don't end up in Top 4 every year.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41488 on: February 12, 2017, 11:51:13 am »

Agree he made Arsenal into some force. That unbeaten team was one of the best ever teams in the Premier League. I also admired the way he played and his general philosphy, always lovely to watch for the neutral. It will be a strange day to see someone other than him as Arsenal manager. I just hope when he does, he can leave with some dignity its the least he deserves. A good man, in a world were there are too many egotisical arses who have no grace whether they win or lose. 

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41489 on: February 12, 2017, 12:30:54 pm »
some rumors suggesting Benitez will be replacing him. I'd hate that to happen although i would be happy for Benitez.

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41490 on: February 12, 2017, 12:32:15 pm »
It will be a sad day when Wenger leaves, I would love the staduim be named after him given his role in being to afford it and build it once our sponsorship deal is done.

Would he remain at Club in some capacity?

He will almost certainly be offered something, whether it will want to take it yet is another matter

Also, i'd love to see Arsenal fans excuses when all of a sudden they don't end up in Top 4 every year.

Presumably bad management   ;)

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41491 on: February 12, 2017, 12:50:14 pm »
It will be a sad day when Wenger leaves, I would love the staduim be named after him given his role in being to afford it and build it once our sponsorship deal is done.

He will almost certainly be offered something, whether it will want to take it yet is another matter

It would be a nice tribute to him, he brought your club to another level with those title wins, and gave you a footballing identity. I can't ever see Arsenal playing in a different style, although that could happen depending on who you get.

I do think what happens in the Champion's League could be key to his future. Bayern are not quite the force they were, although they're still good obvioulsy. But should you win that, maybe it will re-energise you, but if you go out then the writing could be on the wall.

Either way it will be interesting to see how the season goes. I'm envious of your being in the CL though, I have missed this more than anything. I think when you're in it year in year out you take it for granted. Once you no longer qualify for it on a regular basis, there is something missing. Which is why we need to get back into it, as soon as possible.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41492 on: February 12, 2017, 01:16:31 pm »
They once asked Wenger what he'd do after retirement.
"I'll buy a season, get a red and white scarf, and go to the game on Saturday hoping arsenal win".
If he didn't love Arsenal he would have walked when all the big teams in Europe wanted him, when the bank refused to give us a loan until they see his contract extension, when he sacrificed trophies elsewhere to stay with us, sell our best players and keep us in the top 4.
Only those who really know how he changed arsenal and the odds he always worked against will appreciate what he's done. For the rest, he's holding us back.
He has to leave though, only then will fans start asking the right questions.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41493 on: February 12, 2017, 02:14:42 pm »
It would be a nice tribute to him, he brought your club to another level with those title wins, and gave you a footballing identity. I can't ever see Arsenal playing in a different style, although that could happen depending on who you get.

I do think what happens in the Champion's League could be key to his future. Bayern are not quite the force they were, although they're still good obvioulsy. But should you win that, maybe it will re-energise you, but if you go out then the writing could be on the wall.

Either way it will be interesting to see how the season goes. I'm envious of your being in the CL though, I have missed this more than anything. I think when you're in it year in year out you take it for granted. Once you no longer qualify for it on a regular basis, there is something missing. Which is why we need to get back into it, as soon as possible.

At the moment we've had the exact same season five years in a row, with the outlier being the FA Cups, something I don't think Wenger gets enough credit for - beating some good sides on the way.  The frustration is that the team seems to contrive to throw it away, despite getting in a good position for the new year.  Wenger's a great man and manager, however it's hard to understand how his record is so poor against top sides at the moment.  For the Chelsea game I predicted 3-1 and that's exactly what happened.  The Watford game was exactly when pressure needs to be maintained, and unfortunately the club has plenty of difficult fixtures coming up in February with a side which has been misfiring for months.  The frustrating thing is that there are so many good players in the side.

There is some truth to the fact that it is the unpredictability which is the opiate of many fans, and the fact you may come first or crash in to 7th leads to all these different permeations of where the side may end up.  Perhaps Arsenal fans have become so jaded as many don't believe in this unpredictability, the side will flatter to deceive in many games but seemingly not produce when it matters.  I don't see being a fan of the club as being militantly behind everything the club, manager, or players do; but fans are kidding themselves if they think Wenger's departure will suddenly change the success on the pitch overnight.

They once asked Wenger what he'd do after retirement.
"I'll buy a season, get a red and white scarf, and go to the game on Saturday hoping arsenal win".
If he didn't love Arsenal he would have walked when all the big teams in Europe wanted him, when the bank refused to give us a loan until they see his contract extension, when he sacrificed trophies elsewhere to stay with us, sell our best players and keep us in the top 4.
Only those who really know how he changed arsenal and the odds he always worked against will appreciate what he's done. For the rest, he's holding us back.
He has to leave though, only then will fans start asking the right questions.

I remember that quote, he loves the club, utterly.  Unfortunately he is on a precipice at this point, he did the un-glamorous stuff for the club, took part in the stadium project and had to be the "face" of the club, when we were losing our best player every summer, saying it will be all right in the end.  Sadly few people understand the problems Wenger has had since he first agreed to shepherding that project forward, two sugar-daddy clubs arriving in the league who dominated after spending a billion each, and it became a fight for third or better.  The "promised land" fans were building towards ended up as uncertainty, and a need to buck the odds.

I believe he'll go by the end of the season, he needs to leave as the statesman, with top 4 secured, potentially a cup and a decent run in the CL (he did qualify top of the group, after all).  He needs to leave as a statesman of the club after 20 years, of which 10 of them must have been like jogging uphill, costing him his marriage, and many of the fans.  I absolutely don't want the groundswell to turn on him until he's hounded out next season, or the season after.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41494 on: February 13, 2017, 04:55:15 pm »
Just realized you lot dont play in the league until march 4th which is against us

Offline FinnanTastic

• Anny Roader
« Reply #41495 on: February 15, 2017, 12:02:26 am »
Was over at the Hull game with a friend of mine and the stadium certainly wasn't as empty as the pictures suggest, only empty seats at the usual stampede for overpriced , overcooked hotdogs, not much of an atmosphere and the Hull fans have to be the quietest I have ever heard.

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41496 on: February 15, 2017, 12:09:38 pm »
Excited for tonight, big game against a big team who doesn't seem to be quite firing on all cylinders, there is always hope.

Offline tonysleft

• Legacy Fan
  • A manc
« Reply #41497 on: February 15, 2017, 12:45:00 pm »

Would be great to do that. Would also be a nice way to give a middle finger to the whole selfie generation nu-fan identity your club is starting to get.
Great chiefs and great loves in obliterated light

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41498 on: February 15, 2017, 12:48:10 pm »
Excited for tonight, big game against a big team who doesn't seem to be quite firing on all cylinders, there is always hope.

Buzzing, no matter how many times we get knocked out, I still can't wait for the next chance. No where else I'd want my team to be.

Offline DdeGea

• Superceded by OleGea
  • Main Stander
« Reply #41499 on: February 15, 2017, 12:52:24 pm »
Think they're getting taken to the cleaners tonight. Genuinely hope I'm wrong though would love to see them beat Bayern.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41500 on: February 15, 2017, 12:54:59 pm »
I wouldn't mind Arsenal winning the Champions League this season, so that Wenger can retire with the respect he deserves.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41501 on: February 15, 2017, 12:56:02 pm »
I fancy Arsenal to qualify over the 2 legs.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41502 on: February 15, 2017, 12:59:27 pm »
Think they're getting taken to the cleaners tonight. Genuinely hope I'm wrong though would love to see them beat Bayern.

Finding it hard to call, especially since I've seen so little of Bayern recently.

It's been a theme of the last few years that Munich enter the knockout stages with little momentum, after coasting the league and having a long winter break. Ancelotti has seen it all in this competition, and despite his laissez-faire approach with tactics and discipline (especially compared to Pep), usually gets his teams firing at the right time.

Likewise Arsenal have not been playing near their best for weeks now. Maybe they raise their game tonight, or maybe Bayern are the team to step up a notch and really punish Arsenal's indifferent form.

I'd say a one goal loss, but with away goal(s), would be a good result for them. And a 2-0 or more (to nil) would represent a good result for Bayern.

Fuck, I miss these games.

Would be great to do that. Would also be a nice way to give a middle finger to the whole selfie generation nu-fan identity your club is starting to get.

Spot on, give him a stand name. Agree, regardless of the club it's always good when old-school class wins out over the short-termist miserable dickheads (and I include both our clubs in that).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 01:01:17 pm by Classycara »

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #41503 on: February 15, 2017, 01:07:06 pm »

Bayern need to up their game to take them to the cleaners.

They have been so uninspiring recently. Their play is slow and predictable, with little incisiveness.

But of course, they have some great players always capable of turning it on in spells.  Still, can't see it being a cleaner taking excercise, their play since the winter break finished have suggested little to think they will do this.  If Arsenal are patient and stay disciplined, they'll have a hell of a chance of nicking something tonight.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41504 on: February 15, 2017, 01:09:33 pm »
I think the consolation at full time will be that even barca lose 4-0.

Offline Zend...en the clowns

• Legacy Fan
  • Likes BBQ sauce a bit too much..
« Reply #41505 on: February 15, 2017, 01:28:14 pm »
Bayern have been a bit ordinary since the winter break but still, in fairness, beating teams.

I get the feeling that this is exactly the sort of game that the likes of lewa, robben, costa, vidal, muller etc would be bang up for, especially with the first leg being at home. Arsenal always struggle against teams that are organised, tough and have the option of being direct - Bayern tick all three with their class added in to measure.

Ospina in goal is another massive factor.

If Arsenal manage to come back to the emirates with less than a one goal deficit, they've done well. I'm saying Bayern 3-1.
He posts in the day, he posts in the niiiiiiggghht,
That Zend...en the clowns, his timings just right.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41506 on: February 15, 2017, 02:56:25 pm »
Think we can get something, but the setup has to be smart, and Wenger isn't known for changing his teams based on the opponent - it is very much like Barca was last night, play the same XI, play the same way, and hope over 90 minutes your star players play better than theirs'.

I'd say the team needs to pull a sit back and defend masterclass, get them to push up and resort to crossing it from deep, where our defence has been decent lately.  I'd prefer Cech in goal as he seems to clear up crosses all day if he wants to, but Ospina is probably a superior shot stopper even if he is capable of ridiculous decision making at times.

Would drop Monreal for Gibbs to counter better, and he has much the superior engine.  Bellerin needs to play himself out of poor form lately, since he got injured his touch has looked 1st division quality.  Would stick with Coquelin and ElNenny, with a front four of Welbeck, Oxlade, Walcott and Sanchez.  Get Perez on in the second half, and let Ozil sit this one out as he's been ineffective lately and doesn't look up for a defensive 90 minutes.

What I expect to happen is Monreal, Iwobi and Ozil will keep their places.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #41507 on: February 15, 2017, 03:18:51 pm »
3-1 to Bayern in this leg, a brave 2-1 to Arsenal in the return, hitting the post a couple of times. Ozil goes missing in both games.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41508 on: February 15, 2017, 03:36:04 pm »
I think we are getting tonked. Ancellotti is a CL expert. I fancy Bayern to go all the way, unfortunately.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #41509 on: February 15, 2017, 04:41:04 pm »
I know a few Arsenal fans who've gone tonight, jammy bastards the amount of times we got trips to Eindhoven & Marseille but never got these.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41510 on: February 15, 2017, 04:54:18 pm »
I know a few Arsenal fans who've gone tonight, jammy bastards the amount of times we got trips to Eindhoven & Marseille but never got these.

This was always the away I wanted most, back when I could say (and mean) I'd be happy to face any team left in the draw. Especially after we maanged to go to San Siro, Bernabeu, Camp Nou, Estadio de Luz & Vicente Calderon.

Never been to any German away. At least it gives me something to look forward to in the future! Especially Dortmund and Munich

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41511 on: February 15, 2017, 05:26:51 pm »

Yeh we go to the best places.... And get battered.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #41512 on: February 15, 2017, 05:29:14 pm »
Wenger needs to grow some balls and drop Ozil for this game , play 433 and break with all those pacy players he can choose from. No time for passenger like that lazy fraud.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41513 on: February 15, 2017, 05:46:42 pm »
Wenger needs to grow some balls and drop Ozil for this game , play 433 and break with all those pacy players he can choose from. No time for passenger like that lazy fraud.

Was going to reply to Ashburtons post but you beat me to it, this is the way I would go. Maybe have  Xhaka, Elneny & Coquelin in midfield with Welbeck, Sanchez & Ox up front.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41514 on: February 15, 2017, 06:04:08 pm »
Ozil will start, as will xhaka coquelin and Ox, Walcott and Giroud benched.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #41515 on: February 15, 2017, 07:25:51 pm »
Bragging rights aside, I'd like to see Wenger win it.
Maybe this season they'll get some lucky draws ....
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #41516 on: February 15, 2017, 07:26:57 pm »
Bragging rights aside, I'd like to see Wenger win it.
Maybe this season they'll get some lucky draws ....

Complete opposite to you, I never want another English team to do well at anything...

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #41517 on: February 15, 2017, 08:52:44 pm »
Sanchez is a wee shite isn't  he? Leaves the boot in and likes a dive.

Would love him in our team 😉

Arsenal playing classic lower league tactics.  Seems to be working!
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #41518 on: February 15, 2017, 08:58:47 pm »
Complete opposite to you, I never want another English team to do well at anything...
There is an element of that too. Maybe wenger can go to Monaco and win it with them :)
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #41519 on: February 15, 2017, 09:07:09 pm »
Arsenal defending for their lives but still getting pumped.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.