Author Topic: Shanklyboy's and Fat Scousers ( Leo who's still alive ) auld arse thread  (Read 4043462 times)

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: For all the auld arses.
« Reply #6120 on: July 31, 2010, 04:36:16 pm »
Anyone seen those 'trad' sweet shops open lately, there's one in the Swan and one in Huyton Village.

They're called 'A Quarter Of Sweets' and they sell loads of traditional type of sweets, loads from jars etc, great to see.

My ex-sister in law opened one of those shops in Wales about 4 years ago.

All the sweets in jars.
There's one just opened in Bold Street too.

Spanish Gold, Caramacs, Giant humbugs that you couldn't fit in your mouth, Giant gobstoppers that turned into a chewy, those little tins of imps, Zubes, sticky lice,Lucky Numbers,Bullseyes,Highland Toffee, Sportsmans chews,Barley sugar twists (the long ones), the same type made out of toffee with chocolate in, everlasting toffee, flying saucers,traffic light lollipops,blackcurrant lollipops that split your mouth open if you bit them, those little plastic cups that were filled with chocolate and looked like a cup of coffee with a spoon in, Tudor crisps, spearmint chews, Tizer, Full swing lemmo from the chippy, Cream soda, Dandelion & Burdock and hot sasparilla in the winter.

All that for a ha'penny.
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #6121 on: July 31, 2010, 04:46:27 pm »
My ex-sister in law opened one of those shops in Wales about 4 years ago.

All the sweets in jars.
There's one just opened in Bold Street too.

the same type made out of toffee with chocolate in

They were me faves.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6122 on: July 31, 2010, 06:06:48 pm »
Heard them all, mate
Hamshank
septic tank
sherman tank
jodrell bank
j arthur rank

.....oh, that last one was something else.

.....Incoming! (ducks)

Welcome aboard lad anyway.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline rusty-la

• Ch ch ch ch ch ch changes. Warning! Time-waster! Ironically, can't fucking count to save his life. And thinks BBC is Channel 4.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thin Strawberry Duke
« Reply #6123 on: August 1, 2010, 01:01:41 am »
Just read the 'Liverpool Miscellany" by some bloke called Leo Moynihan.

Theres a bit called 'They said it'....here it is

"If Lord Snowdon  had walked into his office Shanks wouldnt have bothered to much about him but if some lads walked in from the Kop he would have been as nice as pie"
Kevin Keegan talks about Shanks love of the people

"Its a bit like bein an orphan, and then you join a good family"
Ron Yeats

"Listen I honestly believe that Liverpool FC were the instigators of total football, despite what the Dutch say"
Phil Thompson

"After the game I went down the chippy with me mates and when I got home got a big kiss off me Ma"
Robbie Fowler scores 5 against Fulham 1993

"Arsenal ? Spurs ? No chance, the best two clubs in London are Stringfellows and the Hippodrome"
Terry Mac (when not pissin on nurses...allegedly..like)

This I fkin love :
"He is to Liverpool what De Gaulle is to France"
Gerrard Houllier on Shanks.

"I always thought Anfield was a place more beautiful than Heaven"
John Aldridge.

Amen to that Aldo'.

Offline neil42

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6124 on: August 1, 2010, 08:45:05 am »
Can anyone remember what those chewies were that were round and had those tattoos in that you lick and stuck on your arm. Mostly had desperate dan in lol.
I know one was bazooka, there was the round pink one though, cant remember wat they were called.

Also there was a chippy on Church rd in Birkenhead got pulled down a couple of years ago, and one of my sisters kids brought the price board home, said fish 3p and chips 1p.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6125 on: August 1, 2010, 08:54:19 am »
Can anyone remember what those chewies were that were round and had those tattoos in that you lick and stuck on your arm. Mostly had desperate dan in lol.
I know one was bazooka, there was the round pink one though, cant remember wat they were called.

Also there was a chippy on Church rd in Birkenhead got pulled down a couple of years ago, and one of my sisters kids brought the price board home, said fish 3p and chips 1p.

Jesus, I only go back as far as a 4 of chips.

They were always popeye tattoos as far as I can remember.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline neil42

• Main Stander
« Reply #6126 on: August 1, 2010, 09:00:13 am »

[/quote]
Thats the one. I knew he was fuckin ugly whoever it was

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6127 on: August 1, 2010, 09:05:01 am »

Thats the one. I knew he was fuckin ugly whoever it was

You wouldn't say that to his face.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #6128 on: August 1, 2010, 09:23:27 am »
You wouldn't say that to his face.
No indeed. :)

Dubble Bubble maybe? (there is one called Happy Tattoo but I think they are more recent.)
There was a brief period of a machine next to a Bazooka Joe and Beech Nut machines in the early to mid 60's that you could get little booklets of stick on tattoos for probably a 1d.
I was more interested in collecting Civil War ( with the Confederate $), Combat and Mars Attacks cards by then.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6129 on: August 1, 2010, 09:27:23 am »
Always remember me ma sending me back to the shops cos I spent an entire shilling on Mars Attacks. She bollocked the woman in the shop the next time she went and spent the rest of her life thinking of her as a criminal.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #6130 on: August 1, 2010, 09:55:22 am »
Sweet coupons anybody??
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #6131 on: August 1, 2010, 10:35:22 am »
Sweet coupons anybody??
Not quite. :)
I tell you what I do remember quite fondly, the concentrated orange juice in a little glass bottle we got when we were tiny.
Tasted great. I think it was designed to make the spoonfull of cod liver oil taste :( go away.
Used to get given it at the Clinic in West Derby village when I went for my Polio(or some other) injections, I suppose about 58 or 59.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6132 on: August 1, 2010, 10:37:47 am »
I tell you what I do remember quite fondly, the concentrated orange juice in a little glass bottle we got when we were tiny.
Tasted great. I think it was designed to make the spoonfull of cod liver oil taste :( go away.
Used to get given it at the Clinic in West Derby village when I went for my Polio(or some other) injections, I suppose about 58 or 59.

I loved tha malty stuff.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #6133 on: August 1, 2010, 10:41:55 am »
I loved tha malty stuff.
You could mend potholes in the roads with that stuff.
We had a huge jar, and trying to stick a spoon in it was ridiculous, it was just like tar.

Offline Forbsie

• Aka Fourbees
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11th August 1977...Remember the Date
« Reply #6134 on: August 1, 2010, 10:47:55 am »

Dubble Bubble maybe? (there is one called Happy Tattoo but I think they are more recent.)
There was a brief period of a machine next to a Bazooka Joe and

There was a brief period of a machine next to a Bazooka Joe and Beech Nut machines in the early to mid 60's that you could get little booklets of stick on tattoos for probably a 1d.
I was more interested in collecting Civil War ( with the Confederate $), Combat and Mars Attacks cards by then.
in the early to mid 60's that you could get little booklets of stick on tattoos for probably a 1d.

Forgot about that. We had a machine outside the newsagents and they put it in front of the door when they locked up at night. Sure it also had KP chewing gum along with the Beech Nut.
If Kenny Dalglish had simply played football for Liverpool he would be an Anfield hero. However, the fact that he managed the club to even greater success guarantees him the status of a legend.

Offline pooley

• No...! They're not baby wipes!
  • Kopite
« Reply #6135 on: August 1, 2010, 10:48:59 am »
Does anyone remember back in the sixties and possibly early seventies, the bloke that used to run on to the pitch in front of the Kop, and join in the kickabout with the players, he would get a great cheer from the Kop, if one of the players let him have a shot. I can remember him going arse over tit and getting his suit full of mud. There would be murder if the coppers got him and tried to throw him out, more often than not, they would throw him back in the kop.
I wish I could still climb up the drain-pipe that used to be at the back of the toilet that was outside the kop.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6136 on: August 1, 2010, 10:54:35 am »
You could mend potholes in the roads with that stuff.
We had a huge jar, and trying to stick a spoon in it was ridiculous, it was just like tar.

You must have had it stored against a north wall.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #6137 on: August 1, 2010, 11:22:17 am »
Talking of concentated orange in bottles we used to get pint bottles of 'pure' orange from the milk man, this was years before pure orange was the norm.

This stuff from the milkie was awful stuff though, fuck knows what went into it, don't think it was 100% pure orange though.

Somebody in work told me her milkman still sold it, hopefully they've the recipe over the years!

While I'm on about drinks, remember Alpine lemmo, dead cheap, all sorts of odd flavours and delivered right to your door from Speke.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #6138 on: August 1, 2010, 11:36:07 am »

yep national health orange juice, we used to get a glass of that after the Cod Liver oil,  we used to get it at the clinic in Broadway
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Sweeper

• Give a little whistle
  • Kopite
  • Lifelong Rafa Supporter
« Reply #6139 on: August 1, 2010, 11:47:57 am »
Gabey Dunns  little shop in Eldon Street.....

4 walkers for a penny...........

Sweet Tobacco that had a pirate on the front......

Those little kite shaped bags that you could get different coloured sherbet in......

Making lemo fom sherbert and water..........

Those were the days!

Cut the Cancer from our club NOW!  Thank you Rafa for your class, dignity, humility...and for being one of us!

Offline neil42

• Main Stander
« Reply #6140 on: August 1, 2010, 11:53:48 am »
Gabey Dunns  little shop in Eldon Street.....

Those little kite shaped bags that you could get different coloured sherbet in......

Were they Luckybags?

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #6141 on: August 1, 2010, 11:57:38 am »
Were they Luckybags?
Jamboree bags in my day.

Offline Jagged Princess

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are back
« Reply #6142 on: August 1, 2010, 11:58:40 am »

Wasn’t Bazooka the chewy with the cartoon strips?  Think the tattoos you bought separately, not 100% sure though.
"... I can only add that the Liverpool fans know the story and the truth. And they know that it is easy to pass judgment if you have been in power for 24 years."  Rafa Benitez 18.09.10

Offline neil42

• Main Stander
« Reply #6143 on: August 1, 2010, 01:04:48 pm »
Wasn’t Bazooka the chewy with the cartoon strips?  Think the tattoos you bought separately, not 100% sure though.
Not sure, all I remember is as you opened them up, there was a little piece of paper as well inside, more often that not stuck to the wrapper, they might be the cartoons yes, but for the life of me cannot remember what had the transfers in.

On another note, does anyone remember the little Soldiers you used to be able to buy.
They come in Airfix boxes I think, you used to get the likes of 100 soldiers, japanese infantry, ghurkas, german Infantry and British Commandos etc. Used to love them, my old fella would come home from work and Id have them all over the floor and he would stand on them and crush em(a bit like my subbuteo)

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6144 on: August 1, 2010, 06:34:32 pm »
I can remember the first day that cheese and onion crisps came out, Golden Wonder I think. The taste was much stronger than today's and much better.

HA!
I used to think that an all. Tip....
Yer taste buds are dead, yer daft aul bastard.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline L12

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6145 on: August 1, 2010, 07:26:15 pm »
Have still got an empty sealed bag  Golden Wonder Crisps, price 3D, don't know why I've kept it ,everything else from that time is well gone.
Weight is listed as 11 drams.
« Last Edit: August 2, 2010, 01:36:59 am by L12 »

Offline Forbsie

• Aka Fourbees
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11th August 1977...Remember the Date
« Reply #6146 on: August 1, 2010, 07:37:42 pm »
Have still got an empty sealed bag  Golden Wonder Crisps, price 3D, don't know why I've kept it ,everything else from that time is well gone.

When I was at primary school just before decimalisation they were 6d (2½p) so they must be from the 60's?
If Kenny Dalglish had simply played football for Liverpool he would be an Anfield hero. However, the fact that he managed the club to even greater success guarantees him the status of a legend.

Offline L12

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6147 on: August 1, 2010, 07:57:15 pm »
When I was at primary school just before decimalisation they were 6d (2½p) so they must be from the 60's?

Somewhere between 61 and 63 is my best guess.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6148 on: August 1, 2010, 08:21:16 pm »
62?
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline L12

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6149 on: August 1, 2010, 08:40:08 pm »

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6150 on: August 1, 2010, 08:41:08 pm »
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline dillo

• Boys Pen
« Reply #6151 on: August 1, 2010, 09:05:11 pm »
Does anyone remember back in the sixties and possibly early seventies, the bloke that used to run on to the pitch in front of the Kop, and join in the kickabout with the players, he would get a great cheer from the Kop, if one of the players let him have a shot. I can remember him going arse over tit and getting his suit full of mud. There would be murder if the coppers got him and tried to throw him out, more often than not, they would throw him back in the kop.

The fellah's name was Johnny Walker.

I remember one game against Coventry City and they were doing the pre-match warm up at The Kop end. Their goalie was Bill Glazier and he allowed Mister Walker to take a penalty against him. Johnny placed the ball on the muddy spot, adjusted his overcoat, eyed up the goal and wobbled unsteadily forward to crash the ball home - well, actually, he scuffed the ball off the toe of his shoe and it trickled to Glazier. As the goalkeeper bent to gather the ball Johnny followed up, rushing towards the ball and managing to kick both that and the goalkeeper. Glazier was not pleased and the constabulary decided to escort Mr Walker from the pitch, but not before Johnny had completed his weird pre-match ritual of kissing the goalpost.

We loved his one man invasions. And the police never really put themselves out in removing him; he would always return to The Kop, once or twice just falling onto the terrace when the bizzies got too close. He was just one of those characters that I think enlivened the match going experience. I'd love somebody like him to be around today. 'Invading' the pitch these days would probably get you banned from the ground.

Maybe Johnny and his booze fuelled sorties onto the Anfield turf was an anomaly even in the 60s, but he was very much a Liverpool character. Whether he was breathing beer fumes over Alun Evans on his debut or kissing Kevin Keegan, or even losing his overcoat as he wriggled from the policeman's grasp, Johnny Walker was someboy who embodied the essential irreverance and daft inventiveness of the Liverpool fan.

Fuck! I've just made myself all melancholy and nostalgiac.

Wherever are you, Johnny, thanks for the laughs - and good luck.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6152 on: August 1, 2010, 09:08:34 pm »
Smithy used to let him take a pen - before the game obviously.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline rayev

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #6153 on: August 1, 2010, 09:10:01 pm »
Any of you aul arses have to wear those brown plastic sandle things when you were a kid.
Fucking hated those things, most of me mates had those black and white baseball boots we used to call them
and a few of us with those plastic things.
Oh the shame of it, ha ha.
The youth of today, you give them a leg up in life and all they want to do is boot you up the arse with it. (Arthur Daley)

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6154 on: August 1, 2010, 09:13:42 pm »
Oh yes had them when I was quite small and then it was baseball boots forever - great for playing footy in but used to end up ripping across the top by your toes, then we'd wrap tape around them.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline L12

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6155 on: August 1, 2010, 09:27:31 pm »
Any of you aul arses have to wear those brown plastic sandle things when you were a kid.
Fucking hated those things, most of me mates had those black and white baseball boots we used to call them
and a few of us with those plastic things.
Oh the shame of it, ha ha.

Yep wore those sandals year round, even with broken straps.
The only pair of football boots I had as a kid were leather hand me downs with wooden studs , which came off frequently, had to put cardboard inside to stop the nails going into my feet.
Was made up when I got my first pair of white pumps, the ones you had to whiten, at least you could turn without falling over, kicking a casey on the other hand wasn't pleasant.
« Last Edit: August 1, 2010, 09:47:50 pm by L12 »

Offline rayev

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #6156 on: August 1, 2010, 09:38:49 pm »
Yeah, Dr, L12, if you had them, they were known as dogs foot around these parts, which ment you were paw. (poor). I guess we could only have what our folks could afford back then aye.
The youth of today, you give them a leg up in life and all they want to do is boot you up the arse with it. (Arthur Daley)

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6157 on: August 1, 2010, 09:43:52 pm »
I can always remember me ma saying that they saved some kids life because he was playing on the live railway track and it prevented him from being electrocuted, from thenceforward they were essential footwear. It sounded plausible at the time, but sounds like bollocks now.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline L12

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6158 on: August 1, 2010, 09:49:10 pm »
I can always remember me ma saying that they saved some kids life because he was playing on the live railway track and it prevented him from being electrocuted, from thenceforward they were essential footwear. It sounded plausible at the time, but sounds like bollocks now.

Wise woman your Ma.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6159 on: August 1, 2010, 09:51:42 pm »
She certainly had me fooled.
NAKED BOOBERY