Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12386075 times)

Offline JoeTwerp

• Leader of the Maryland Vigilante Child Army. Mayor of Twerpville. Population 2
  • Legacy Fan
Re: So what are these Youth/Reserve Lads like?
« Reply #6880 on: February 3, 2009, 04:20:02 pm »
straight from Rafa's mouth:

"And if we need more options then we also have Krisztian Nemeth, who has been doing very well in the reserve team, and Daniel Pacheco has been playing well too.

hopefully Torres doesn't go down before Nemeth comes back ;D

Offline Jayo10

• Kopite
« Reply #6881 on: February 3, 2009, 04:43:05 pm »
I'd rate LDV a better prospect than Pacheco in the striking stakes at least.

He can be a top top player

Offline liverpoolfcmike

• custom title thread lurker - easily amused
  • Legacy Fan
  • through the wind and rain (and fog)
« Reply #6882 on: February 3, 2009, 04:44:49 pm »
The way i see our strikers its: LDV > Pacheco > Nemeth > Eccleston

Offline Manila Kop

• TRYING HARD TO FIT IN OOTER
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Greatest Fighter in the World
« Reply #6883 on: February 3, 2009, 04:52:13 pm »
Maybe, but there's no way LDV is ready for the first team at this point, nor should Rafa throw him over the deep end like that.
The infallible wank stain
Lolzies. More chance of a wank off the pope than beating United, I'm afraid. It is beyond Benitez, apart from when they were at their lowest ebb, when we knocked them out of the FA Cup. They certainly aren't anywhere near there now.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #6884 on: February 3, 2009, 04:52:25 pm »
I wouldn't read anything into where Pacheco is deployed to be honest. It's reserve team football - if he was at Ajax he'd probably have been played at fullback by now as well. I actually think, long-term, a few games against the cloggers in the reserve league, playing in the centre of midfield will do him so good. He gets bullied by the centrebacks in the league and as a result can often drop too deep to avoid being battered when he gets the ball. He wont be able to avoid that in midfield. It'll toughen him up, or at least improve his anticipation of opponents coming through the back of him.

I reckon it'll do him some good if it's only for a few games. Similarly playing on the right, which, were we a fluid footballing team, is exactly the the sort of position he'd get his first taste of action in. Bojan, Walcott et al have all been played out there occasionally just to get them used to games. Just a shame we don't have the same sort of movement that would allow him to start from there but end up whereever he wanted in an attacking sense. That would certainly help bring through a Nemeth or a Pacheco IMHO. Anyways...

Big few months now for N'gog and El Zhar I reckon. I suspect N'Gog is now 4th choice so he'll likely go from getting 5-10 minutes every 3-4 games to getting 10-15 nearly every game (alá Babel). Also, unlike recently when he's been brought on when games are won (Bolton, Newcastle) I get the feeling that he may be asked to come on and change the way a game is going, something he's struggled to do so far.

Ditto El Zhar - I reckon he could be more involved over the next few months. With Kuyt now basically first choice on the wing and 2nd choice up front we're spread pretty thin across the flanks and up front. Ditto with Babel being our back up winger and now, you'd at least imagine, 3rd choice up front.

Not expecting too much from them. I don't particularly rate El Zhar and N'Gog is only 19 and has played very little (and been a mixed bag when he has so I can't understand the criticism). This is probably the best chance El Zhar will ever get of making himself a player at Liverpool though. We're stretched squad wise, we're in 3 competitions and he's had a few chances already. And, by all accounts, he's playing like someone who believes he's better than reserve team football (I thought for sheer touch and awareness he stood out a mile apart from any other player in the United reserve match - on either side).

I'm not expecting them to become Ronny Rosenthal or anything, but it'd be nice to think that one of them could grab 3-4 goals and turn themselves into a dependable little squad player. Be particularly nice if N'Gog could do that, but either one would be welcomed.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Shaded Red

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6885 on: February 3, 2009, 05:10:33 pm »
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N163121090203-1451.htm

RAFA: WE HAVE ENOUGH ATTACKING OPTIONS
Joe Curran 03 February 2009

Rafael Benitez believes the departure of Robbie Keane will pave the way for Liverpool's other attacking players to make a name for themselves during the coming months.

Keane completed a deadline-day transfer to Tottenham Hotspur yesterday, but with the likes of David Ngog, Nabil El Zhar and Krisztian Nemeth waiting in the wings, the Reds boss insisted he has enough striking options in his squad.

When asked if the Irishman's departure will leave his squad short of attacking options, Benitez said: "I don't think so, because we have Fernando Torres.

"People have been saying, 'Torres has been injured', but we also have Dirk Kuyt, Ryan Babel, David Ngog in the squad.

"And if we need more options then we also have Krisztian Nemeth, who has been doing very well in the reserve team, and Daniel Pacheco has been playing well too.

"We could also play with Steven Gerrard, Yossi Benayoun or Nabil El Zhar as a second striker, so we have enough quality in the squad. I think we can manage."

Offline JoeTwerp

• Leader of the Maryland Vigilante Child Army. Mayor of Twerpville. Population 2
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6886 on: February 3, 2009, 05:11:23 pm »

thats how I see it also, as in thats how I think they WILL Be in 3 to 4 years time.  Once fit, Nemeth is clearly the closest to making the step up this season OF THOSE FOUR (not really sure it that is saying much)

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Moaning bed wetter, cry wanks for Torres
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6887 on: February 3, 2009, 05:30:22 pm »

Madness. What's LDV done that puts him ahead of Nemeth? He has scored alot of goals in the u18s like Eccleston done last year and Eccleston is 4th on your list  ???
"I was pleased also with Peter Crouch. We have been talking to him, before and after his nose operation, to show more confidence with his heading.

"Now it seems to have worked. Lets say that if he has a few games without scoring again, maybe we should arrange to break his nose again."

Rafa.

Offline liverpoolfcmike

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6888 on: February 3, 2009, 05:35:30 pm »
Madness. What's LDV done that puts him ahead of Nemeth? He has scored alot of goals in the u18s like Eccleston done last year and Eccleston is 4th on your list  ???

Madness?

It's called my opinion, and how i rate these players, solely based on potential and what i have seen from them.

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6889 on: February 3, 2009, 05:42:10 pm »
Madness?

It's called my opinion, and how i rate these players, solely based on potential and what i have seen from them.

It's called fickle.
"I was pleased also with Peter Crouch. We have been talking to him, before and after his nose operation, to show more confidence with his heading.

"Now it seems to have worked. Lets say that if he has a few games without scoring again, maybe we should arrange to break his nose again."

Rafa.

Offline liverpoolfcmike

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6890 on: February 3, 2009, 05:46:41 pm »

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6891 on: February 3, 2009, 06:00:16 pm »
Enlighten me..?

Ok, an example. We only started getting 30 minute highlights of games this season, Eccleston has been injured this season and I don't believe you could have seen enough of him from the miny highlights last season (unless you actually went to the Academy to watch the games) to judge him as a player nevermind put him 4th on your little list.
« Last Edit: February 3, 2009, 06:05:39 pm by Mr_Miyagi »

Rafa.

Offline liverpoolfcmike

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6892 on: February 3, 2009, 06:13:24 pm »
Ok, an example. We only started getting 30 minute highlights of games this season, Eccleston has been injured this season and I don't believe you could have seen enough of him from the miny highlights last season, unless you actually went to the Academy to watch the games, to judge him as a player nevermind put him 4th on your little list.

Okay, let me refer you to a little exert from a previous post:

Madness?

In my opinion, you don't need to have gone to watch a player throughout their feldgeling career, or first hand to see that they have potential and to form some sort of opinion on them, you may feel differently, however that is not the point.

For me to have been fickle, I would have had to have said something about, for instance, Nemeth being our best prospect, then to have suddenly changed it to Lauri Dalla Valle because Nemeth is injured.

I can't think of a time when I've done that, so in my mind nothing I've said has been fickle...

All you highlighted would suggest a lack of information/experience to base an accurate opinion on...

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #6893 on: February 3, 2009, 06:58:07 pm »

i would say that in order of those who have a chance of playing for the first team this year nemeth was most likely before injury but pacheco (being fit) is probably in pole position.

both can play the provider role and as juan loco says they're more likely to debut in that role either behind the striker (both of them) or on the right (pacheco).

ldv is mustard but a LONG way from the first team - even a debut next year would be amazing.

ecclestone is fourth for me but then that's obvious when he hasn't started for the reserves yet.

whatever the situation we all seem to agree we have attacking talent coming through.

is this the start of some consenus? :)

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6894 on: February 3, 2009, 07:02:17 pm »
In my opinion, you don't need to have gone to watch a player throughout their feldgeling career, or first hand to see that they have potential and to form some sort of opinion on them, you may feel differently, however that is not the point.

I don't think you have to "watch a player throughout their feldgeling career" to make a judgement, I just don't understand how you can judge him on a handful of 6 ? minute highlights that were shown last season. Unless you went to the Academy to watch the games you couldn't of seen him for much more than that. I don't believe you're the only who judges players without even seeing them play a full game so maybe i'm being unfair.

Rafa.

Offline liverpoolfcmike

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6895 on: February 3, 2009, 07:09:26 pm »

I don't think you have to "watch a player throughout their feldgeling career" to make a judgement, I just don't understand how you can judge him on a handful of 6 ? minute highlights that were shown last season. Unless you went to the Academy to watch the games you couldn't of seen him for much more than that. I don't believe you're the only who judges players without even seeing them play a full game so maybe i'm being unfair.

To be fair, you make a decent point, however I'm just giving my take on what I've seen from these players. I mean, we haven't even seen Saric yet, who's supposed to be brilliant.

whatever the situation we all seem to agree we have attacking talent coming through.

is this the start of some consenus? :)

We have quite a number of very talented players. We'll probably start to see them really coming through in a year or so, much like what's happening at Man Utd right now.

Insua is leading the charge.
« Last Edit: February 3, 2009, 07:12:04 pm by liverpoolfcmike »

Offline STORMTROOPER

• RAWK Pedagogue.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6896 on: February 3, 2009, 07:17:54 pm »
nemeth, da la valle, pacheco all good prospects.

think if they were all 100% fit, then nemeth would by far be most likely to get games in the 1st team.

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6897 on: February 3, 2009, 07:19:26 pm »
Just watching the u18s versus Everton, looks like Eccleston is playing in midfield and Irwin is playing in central defence  :-\ They must be short in both areas.

Rafa.

Offline LFCmax

• Main Stander
  • Mancs,Celtic Fans,Blue noses, I hate them all!
« Reply #6898 on: February 3, 2009, 07:58:41 pm »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/leicester_city/7860435.stm

Martin eyes permanent Foxes move

Martin has kept 13 clean sheets for Leicester
Leicester City on-loan goalkeeper David Martin says he wants a permanent move to the Walkers Stadium.
The 23-year-old, who arrived at the Foxes in August, is on loan from Liverpool until the end of the season.
He told BBC Radio Leicester: "I'd love to stay at Leicester, it's a great club - when we get promoted if I could play in the Championship it would be good."
Martin has kept 13 clean sheets in 26 appearances for Leicester during his loan spell.
The Foxes have a 10-point lead at the top of League One.
Nigel Pearson's side travel to Northampton on Saturday.

Offline Strawberry Fields

• Pending....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6899 on: February 3, 2009, 08:09:38 pm »
Just watching the u18s versus Everton, looks like Eccleston is playing in midfield and Irwin is playing in central defence  :-\ They must be short in both areas.
No. Liverpool are certainly not short in numbers at any level. It's probably a way for them to learn different aspects of the game.

Offline Jayo10

• Kopite
« Reply #6900 on: February 3, 2009, 08:26:06 pm »

You are quite right. The only way to judge is by going to games at the academy. Let me just say that I know Nathan Ecclestone through my son and apparently he is developing a Marvin Pourie attitude. An attitude thats not tolerated at the academy or at melwood.

Id agree Nemeth is closest to 1st team action and i'd have loved to see him move to maybe West Brom until the end of the season with the recall option if he is not featuring. He is not the paciest of players but an excellent finisher and has pedigree at underage international level.

However, I still think LDV has the best chance of all if he keeps developing. He is a well rounded player as well as a goal scorer having watched him this season in the flesh. Dare I say it hes similar (and im stressing this word similar, not hyping the kid up) to Torres.

Lets just wait and see. Its great we have some excellent youngsters

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6901 on: February 3, 2009, 08:58:55 pm »
No. Liverpool are certainly not short in numbers at any level. It's probably a way for them to learn different aspects of the game.

Reserve level we are far from short but for the u18s we had a 15 year old and a central midfielder in defence, Joe Kennedy was out so what other centre backs are there if we're not short? Conor Coady, another u16 player? Central midfield we have Pepper, Roberts and Astrit who's on trial at other clubs every other week. Not exactly high in numbers.

Rafa.

Offline liverpoolfcmike

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6902 on: February 3, 2009, 09:07:33 pm »
You are quite right. The only way to judge is by going to games at the academy. Let me just say that I know Nathan Ecclestone through my son and apparently he is developing a Marvin Pourie attitude. An attitude thats not tolerated at the academy or at melwood.

Id agree Nemeth is closest to 1st team action and i'd have loved to see him move to maybe West Brom until the end of the season with the recall option if he is not featuring. He is not the paciest of players but an excellent finisher and has pedigree at underage international level.

However, I still think LDV has the best chance of all if he keeps developing. He is a well rounded player as well as a goal scorer having watched him this season in the flesh. Dare I say it hes similar (and im stressing this word similar, not hyping the kid up) to Torres.

Lets just wait and see. Its great we have some excellent youngsters

I could've told you all that without going to any of the academy games, to be fair.

The Eccleton attitude would explain his rejection by Melwood ealier in the season and him being on the periphery of the under 18s team for a number of weeks.

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6903 on: February 3, 2009, 09:14:02 pm »
I could've told you all that without going to any of the academy games, to be fair.

The Eccleton attitude would explain his rejection by Melwood ealier in the season and him being on the periphery of the under 18s team for a number of weeks.

A toe injury could also explain him being on the periphery of the under 18s team for a number of weeks  ::)

He's just returned and has started in their last two games.

Rafa.

Offline liverpoolfcmike

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6904 on: February 3, 2009, 09:22:00 pm »
A toe injury could also explain him being on the periphery of the under 18s team for a number of weeks  ::)

He's just returned and has started in their last two games.

That would explain it  ;D

Hope he impresses; good talent.

Offline JoeTwerp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6905 on: February 3, 2009, 09:53:45 pm »
Reserve level we are far from short but for the u18s we had a 15 year old and a central midfielder in defence, Joe Kennedy was out so what other centre backs are there if we're not short? Conor Coady, another u16 player? Central midfield we have Pepper, Roberts and Astrit who's on trial at other clubs every other week. Not exactly high in numbers.

We have Kasami as well in central midfield, who I hope is hurt because he has hardly featured. I saw him once in a pre-season friendly, looked a big kid and played a real nice cross field ball.  We also have Alex Cooper in midfield, usually a left midfielder, but thats not looking like a good position to play at youth level at LFC right now, (he can also play leftback, not a great position to be either in terms of the future) so maybe he should try playing centrally.
« Last Edit: February 3, 2009, 09:56:44 pm by JoeTerp »

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6906 on: February 3, 2009, 10:05:59 pm »
We have Kasami as well in central midfield, who I hope is hurt because he has hardly featured. I saw him once in a pre-season friendly, looked a big kid and played a real nice cross field ball.  We also have Alex Cooper in midfield, usually a left midfielder, but thats not looking like a good position to play at youth level at LFC right now, (he can also play leftback, not a great position to be either in terms of the future) so maybe he should try playing centrally.

I think I read that Kasami had left the club on here, nobody has cleared that up though. We've tried alot players in midfield where it wouldn't be their natural position which would suggest further we are a bit short there. James Ellison, Christopher Buchtmann and even Andre Wisdom played in midfield in our 4-1 loss to Man City.

Anyone got the latest on Sean Highdale by the way, any closer to a return?

Rafa.

Offline Pawlu

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6907 on: February 3, 2009, 10:06:38 pm »
Kasami didn't get a work permit so returned home.

Offline Pankaka

• Kopite
« Reply #6908 on: February 3, 2009, 10:10:12 pm »
Anyone got the latest on Sean Highdale by the way, any closer to a return?

He's bored right now. ;) Still in rehab I think.
At half time, 2-0 down to Manchester City 05/10/08
Quote from: heather123
If we win, I will eat my own head.  Seriously.
We went on to win the game... ;D

Offline JoeTwerp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6909 on: February 3, 2009, 10:10:29 pm »
I had not heard that, although I did go away for a couple months. We still own him though? I thought he was Swiss? do they need permits? I guess so cuz they are not in the EU
« Last Edit: February 3, 2009, 10:12:24 pm by JoeTerp »

Offline Manila Kop

• TRYING HARD TO FIT IN OOTER
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Greatest Fighter in the World
« Reply #6910 on: February 4, 2009, 02:55:58 am »
With Keane gone, it seems like sending Nemeth out on loan would have been Rafa's way of letting him gain match fitness and testing him out for higher-level opposition.  After one month, with Nemeth having a good run under his belt and the bench less congested, we could have seen him start featuring for the first team.  Really really rotten luck to have his cheek fractured on his first game for Blackpool.
The infallible wank stain
Lolzies. More chance of a wank off the pope than beating United, I'm afraid. It is beyond Benitez, apart from when they were at their lowest ebb, when we knocked them out of the FA Cup. They certainly aren't anywhere near there now.

Offline Macedonian_Red

• NewsNow. Actually much later. And then probably wrong.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6911 on: February 4, 2009, 07:56:34 am »
Big few months now for N'gog and El Zhar I reckon. I suspect N'Gog is now 4th choice so he'll likely go from getting 5-10 minutes every 3-4 games to getting 10-15 nearly every game (alá Babel). Also, unlike recently when he's been brought on when games are won (Bolton, Newcastle) I get the feeling that he may be asked to come on and change the way a game is going, something he's struggled to do so far.

Ditto El Zhar - I reckon he could be more involved over the next few months. With Kuyt now basically first choice on the wing and 2nd choice up front we're spread pretty thin across the flanks and up front. Ditto with Babel being our back up winger and now, you'd at least imagine, 3rd choice up front.

Not expecting too much from them. I don't particularly rate El Zhar and N'Gog is only 19 and has played very little (and been a mixed bag when he has so I can't understand the criticism). This is probably the best chance El Zhar will ever get of making himself a player at Liverpool though. We're stretched squad wise, we're in 3 competitions and he's had a few chances already. And, by all accounts, he's playing like someone who believes he's better than reserve team football (I thought for sheer touch and awareness he stood out a mile apart from any other player in the United reserve match - on either side).

I'm not expecting them to become Ronny Rosenthal or anything, but it'd be nice to think that one of them could grab 3-4 goals and turn themselves into a dependable little squad player. Be particularly nice if N'Gog could do that, but either one would be welcomed.

I expect for Nemeth to get some minutes before the end of the season too, after he is back from his cheek-bone injury ... He is already 20 years old and is physically and mentally ready for some 1st team football ...

Other than that, I agree that the next 3-4 months will be very important for the development of Babel, El Zhar and N'Gog as LFC players ... I know it is very unlike Rafa (at least at LFC) to throw in young players in this kind of situation, but you have to remember that he was not afraid to use many young players in his years with Valencia ... Aimar, Vicente, Marchena, Carew, Aurelio ... They were all at the age of 19-21 when Rafa arrived there in 2001 ...

Offline JoeTwerp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6912 on: February 4, 2009, 11:48:36 pm »
our last two youth cup teams:

Dean Bouzanis, Jack Metcalf, Christopher Buchtmann, Andre Wisdom, Joe Kennedy, Steve Irwin, David Amoo, Adam Pepper (Eccleston, 68), Lauri Dalla Valle, Tom Ince, Alex Kacaniklic (Ellison, 77).

Unused substitutes: Alex Cooper, Deale Chamberlain, Michael Roberts.

Dean Bouzanis, Andre Wisdom, Christopher Buchtmann, Daniel Ayala, Joe Kennedy, Steve Irwin, David Amoo (James Ellison 68), Adam Pepper, Lauri Dalla Valle, Tom Ince, Alex Kacaniklic.

Unused subs: Marvin Pourie, Deale Chamberlain, Michael Roberts, Jack Metcalf

anyone think we should call in Pacheco, Bruna, or Weijl to face Chelsea?

Is Saric fit enough to make the bench?

anyone have any other team news on injuries?

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #6913 on: February 5, 2009, 01:16:56 pm »
kelly gets an england call up - hurrah!

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N163153090205-1227.htm

Liverpool defender Martin Kelly is today celebrating being called into the England Under-19 squad for the first time.
Kelly, who made his Liverpool debut in the Champions League clash with PSV Eindhoven in December, is one of several new faces in coach Brian Eastick's squad for next week's friendly fixture with Spain in Bournemouth.

The game takes place on Tuesday night and kicks off at 7pm at the Fitness First Stadium.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #6914 on: February 5, 2009, 01:18:09 pm »
and a thomas ince interview:

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N163145090205-0945.htm

HE ACADEMY INTERVIEW: THOMAS INCE
Paul Hassall 05 February 2009
    In the first of our new series of interviews with the Academy Player of the Month, we spoke to under-18 forward Thomas Ince about life at the club's youth base in Kirkby.

Hello Tom, you've just been named under-18 player of the month - how does that make you feel?

It's great. It's a nice feeling to know that the coaches think you are playing well. I've just got to keep going now, keep on improving, and hopefully there will be a few more player of the month awards in the future.

What's been the highlight for you so far this season?

I think it would have to be the FA Youth Cup clash with Leeds at Elland Road. It was my debut in the competition and I managed to cap it with a goal in our 2-1 win. It was a great experience.

Tonight we face Chelsea in an FA Youth Cup tie at Anfield. How much are you looking forward to it?

I can't wait. It's one of those games that sees one of the best teams in the North-west take on a top southern side like Chelsea. I actually watched them play Man United at Old Trafford earlier in the competition and they are a very good attacking side. I'm expecting an exciting game.

It would be nice to follow up the first-team's 2-0 success over the Blues with another win, wouldn't it?

Yes, definitely. I think the team is good enough to get the result we want. In terms of our attack we are very dangerous and can score goals. Hopefully it will all come together and we can make it into the next round.

What will it mean for you to play at Anfield?

It's going to be unbelievable. To think I could be playing on the same surface that Torres, Alonso and Gerrard perform on regularly is just fantastic. I'm sure there will be a decent crowd there and it's a great opportunity to play on a Premier League ground.

When did you first arrive at the club's Academy?

It was when I was about 11 or 12. I was at Tranmere at the time. Liverpool came in for me at the end of the under-12 season and I've been here five or six years now. I only live 25 minutes away from the city and with it being the biggest club in the area I thought it was the right place for me to come to.

How are you finding life with the under-18s?

Well this is my first year at this level. I'm still developing physically and that's my biggest challenge at the moment. But I think I am starting to adjust to the physical game at under-18 level and I'm progressing quite well. I just hope I can prove to be a valid member of the squad.

You've been up to Melwood with the under-18s to play practice matches. How have you enjoyed that?

It's been brilliant. When you play against the likes of Jay Spearing and Stephen Darby - players who have been here and gone up to Melwood - you realise how much you need to improve to get to that next stage. It's exciting because you see Rafa and Sammy Lee on the sidelines and it gives you extra motivation to show them what you can do. After the game against Leeds in the Youth Cup a few of the lads said well done about my goal. That was a nice touch because it shows they are watching.

How would you assess the under-18s' season so far - both as a team and for you personally?

I think we started quite well. We've picked up points home and away. We've also got through two rounds in the Youth Cup and face a tough clash with Chelsea tonight. We are an attacking side and I think we will continue to play the right way and get amongst the goals in the remainder of the season. From my own point of view, I started off a bit nervous. I needed to get used to the new level and I'm also one of the youngest in the team - but I've started to improve over the past few months.

If you do make it as a professional, how do you expect to cope with the pressure that comes with it?

I think I'd be okay. Obviously the fans can get on the players' backs if things aren't going to plan, but I think if you are a top player you can shrug it off and just concentrate on what you are doing.

For any fans who aren't yet aware of you, could you tell us what type of player you are?

My natural position is on the left wing. That's the position I feel that I can cause most problems when I'm on form. I like to beat players, get into one-on-one situations and put crosses into the box. I also like to chip in with goals if possible.

As part of the Academy programme you are also expected to continue some form of education. How important is that to you?

It's very important. The coaches and Tim Devine, especially, encourage us to work hard at our studies so that if it doesn't work out we have something to fall back on.

Do you have a specific back-up plan if things don't work out in the world of football?

A lot of lads do college work here at the Academy. I'm a bit different because my school is only about two minutes away from my house, so on Wednesday and Friday afternoons I go there and do an A-level Sociology class. I'll then do a test at the end of the year like other students and it's great because it offers me a plan B.

How does education fit in with your football?

Well the school understand that football is important to me and have been very supportive. They help me in every way possible.

Can you talk us through a typical day at the Academy?

I'm here from about 9am for breakfast. We'll then chill for a bit and go out for training with Piet Hamberg at about 10.30am. If it's a full day, we will then have lunch and further training in the afternoon or a weights session. On other days we do half a day of training and half a day of education.

You still live with your parents, don't you? How important have they been in your development?

Well obviously, my Dad has been there and knows what it takes to make it. After the game on a Saturday we'll go home and watch it back on LFC TV and he'll offer me a few pointers too. My Mum doesn't have as much to offer as my Dad in terms of knowledge of the game, but she always adds a few words too and it's nice to have both parents right behind you and supporting you.

Being a teenager committed to making a future in the game, do you find it hard watching your friends going out and do the usual things that youngsters do?

I think it is more difficult now because when you are younger it maybe doesn't have as much bearing on things, but now that I am playing at under-18 level it could be a pivotal moment in my career. I realise that when my mates go out on a Friday I can't because of the game on Saturday. But I'm happy with that because this is what I live for and this is what I want to do in a few years time. When it comes to the sacrifices you have to make, I think I can handle it well.

When the fixtures come out at the start of the season what is the game you look for first?

Most people would say Everton because it's a derby match. But for me I'd have to say Man United or Man City. They have the best players in the North West so it's nice to judge yourselves and go up against them.

Do you find it easy to stay motivated?

Definitely. Playing football is one of the best jobs in the world. If you can't motivate yourself for that, then I don't know what you are going to do!

Where do you see yourself in five years time?

Hopefully in the Liverpool first-team. But I can't look too far ahead. I have to keep doing what I am doing in the Youth team and try to make the next step up to reserve team level.

And finally, did any player inspire you when you were growing up?

I'd have to say Ryan Giggs. He actually used to live with us when I was four or five when my Dad was at Man United and he's just brilliant. What he's achieved there is great. He's won 10 Premier League titles and you can't get much better than that. I remember when he scored that goal against Arsenal when he beat four or five players and that's just inspirational for a player like myself.

royhendo

« Reply #6915 on: February 5, 2009, 01:20:54 pm »
Cheers for those Hass - superb for Kelly eh?

Looking forward to tonight - hopefully some good cheer after last night...

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #6916 on: February 5, 2009, 01:29:17 pm »
i'm made up for kelly.  its been one of my complaints about those who champion some of our uk based players that they're not getting a look in for their respective international age groups but it appears young master kelly is breaking through and more power to his elbow for that.

winning tonight would give us all a lift - lets stick it in em

Offline Helsinki Red

• ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6917 on: February 5, 2009, 02:11:28 pm »
What time is the kick off tonight?

Offline rafasredangel

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!
« Reply #6918 on: February 5, 2009, 03:36:21 pm »
Was going tonight but it is freezing at the moment. I will decide when I get in from work. Need some football to help wipe away the memory of last night
Andrew Miller MP on the S*n 'What gave them the right to publish such disgusting filth when people had died?' YNWA JFT96
Thatcher's Mind=Managed decline

Offline liverpoolfcmike

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6919 on: February 5, 2009, 05:30:41 pm »
Brilliant that Kelly got called up, he will be a top defender, no doubt.

We have several good, young English talents in our ranks:

Eccleston, Kelly, Wisdom, Ince to name but a few.