Author Topic: Gerrard - quoted as 'Gerrard open to move from Liverpool'  (Read 143837 times)

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Gerrard - quoted as 'Gerrard open to move from Liverpool'
« Reply #1600 on: November 23, 2014, 10:54:37 am »
I think he'd only  be an impact player at United, Arsenal, City and Chelsea when they have everyone fit. He'd start for everyone else, albeit in various positions and systems. I don't think many would play him as the deepest midfielder.

Arsenal have Arteta as their main dm,he would get into that side ahead of him.

United have Blind Fellaini and Carrick as main starters, he is still a better player than them all.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1601 on: November 23, 2014, 10:55:55 am »
I think he'd only  be an impact player at United, Arsenal, City and Chelsea when they have everyone fit. He'd start for everyone else, albeit in various positions and systems. I don't think many would play him as the deepest midfielder.
He can do everything that Blind and Arteta can do and more. He wouldn't get a start at centre mid for Chelsea but would get some game time and probably similarly at City largely because he wouldn't really complement Yaya.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #1602 on: November 23, 2014, 11:09:18 am »
Arsenal have Arteta as their main dm,he would get into that side ahead of him.

United have Blind Fellaini and Carrick as main starters, he is still a better player than them all.

Yeah maybe, although not necessarily for 90 minutes. A bit like Scholes' last couple of seasons. Two of a fully fit Blind, Herrera and Carrick I think would get the edge in terms of centre mid. Because of their relentless injuries he'd always been in the side somewhere though with his versatility.

Arsenal and United will also likely go big in January for a midfielder. It was crazy Arsenal not getting a CDM in the summer and relying on Arteta who has declined and doesn't protect the defence. It's a bit like our situation to be honest but which side will do something about it first?
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1603 on: November 23, 2014, 11:21:54 am »
He would start for almost all those teams.

no he wouldn't
" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1604 on: November 23, 2014, 11:25:20 am »
think arsenals he would.

not the rest though.
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1605 on: November 23, 2014, 11:25:57 am »
think arsenals he would.

not the rest though.

Not United ?

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1606 on: November 23, 2014, 11:29:11 am »
wouldnt look right.....
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1607 on: November 23, 2014, 11:31:34 am »
no he wouldn't

Lampard still gets a lot of games for City and he is even more past it than Gerrard is.

Arsenal and United midfields aren't any better than ours, and neither have a truly top class DM, like us.

If you don't think Gerrard will get games ahead of Arteta Carrick Fellaini and Blind then maybe you underrate our captain, but none of those players have had a season like Gerrard has in the last couple years, possibly only Blind, but he played in the Dutch League, which is by all means weaker.

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #1608 on: November 23, 2014, 11:41:21 am »
Messi at Barca enjoys the status Gerrard mostly enjoys at Liverpool. He plays every minute in the league and the CL (other than one game 'the first team' were rested in). Although that might possibly change with 12 games in 40 days.

Even if Messi is still great at 34, I doubt he'll still have that same status and will be subbed and sub more like Xavi now at 34. Gerrard at 27 didn't have that status! I think by that age Messi will have dropped deeper if he's still playing.

As long as Messi is still one of their best XI players he'll play. Much like Gerrard is. Xavi's still capable of playing games in the same way Gerrard has been; but Barca have clearly brought in capable players enough that the quality between himself and someone like Rakitic is less. At Liverpool, we don't have that so complaining about Gerrard playing too much (which in a sense he isn't as he no longer plays international games) is missing the point. If we had better than Gerrard that argument would become more of a pressing point. Right now, it's down the list in terms of immediate concerns.

Which is not to dismiss the concerns. Gerrard needs to improve his defensive work-rate; at least so that he can show that his form is not the concern. Until he does that, he is a question.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 11:45:40 am by Halcyon Lissome »
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1609 on: November 23, 2014, 12:24:17 pm »
Lampard still gets a lot of games for City and he is even more past it than Gerrard is.

Arsenal and United midfields aren't any better than ours, and neither have a truly top class DM, like us.

If you don't think Gerrard will get games ahead of Arteta Carrick Fellaini and Blind then maybe you underrate our captain, but none of those players have had a season like Gerrard has in the last couple years, possibly only Blind, but he played in the Dutch League, which is by all means weaker.

Arteta I agree it's a joke that he's still starting for Arsenal and i'd be surprised if they didn't do something about it in January. They're at least linked to a lot of CDM's. They've got plenty of talent in front but the lack of a quality DM kills them. I'd say Gerrard is the last type of midfielder they need and they've been crying out for a Matic or a Vieira replacement for years. They've got no end of good midfielders who are good on the ball (it's why they didn't go for Fabregas) but the only one they've got who is any use off the ball is Flamini. It's a similar situation with us and Lucas.

With regards to United it depends what they want from a midfielder. Blind will hold better in front of the back four. Carrick will control better and keep possession and has held that midfield together for years while Ferguson neglected it. Fellaini is not a midfielder. Gerrard would be better if they were looking to get the ball forward quickly but they need protection for a totally patched up, young defence.

Lampard is City's 4th choice centre mid and an impact sub. Exactly what Gerrard would be.

As long as Messi is still one of their best XI players he'll play. Much like Gerrard is. Xavi's still capable of playing games in the same way Gerrard has been; but Barca have clearly brought in capable players enough that the quality between himself and someone like Rakitic is less. At Liverpool, we don't have that so complaining about Gerrard playing too much (which in a sense he isn't as he no longer plays international games) is missing the point. If we had better than Gerrard that argument would become more of a pressing point. Right now, it's down the list in terms of immediate concerns.

Which is not to dismiss the concerns. Gerrard needs to improve his defensive work-rate; at least so that he can show that his form is not the concern. Until he does that, he is a question.

I understand we're in this situation because we've neglected the midfield. The last few transfer windows we've been crying out for a proper CDM.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 12:27:50 pm by Fromola »

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1610 on: November 23, 2014, 12:26:53 pm »
Arteta I agree it's a joke that he's still starting for Arsenal and i'd be surprised if they didn't do something about it in January. They're at least linked to a lot of CDM's. They've got plenty of talent in front but the lack of a quality DM kills them. I'd say Gerrard is the last type of midfielder they need. They've got no end of good midfielders who are good on the ball (it's why they didn't go for Fabregas) but the only one they've got who is any use off the ball is Flamini. It's a similar situation with us and Lucas.

With regards to United it depends what they want from a midfielder. Blind will hold better in front of the back four. Carrick will control better and keep possession and has held that midfield together for years while Ferguson neglected it. Fellaini is not a midfielder. Gerrard would be better if they were looking to get the ball forward quickly but they need protection for a totally patched up, young defence.

Lampard is City's 4th choice centre mid and an impact sub. Exactly what Gerrard would be.

Blind doesn't offer anymore protection to United's midfield than Gerrrard does, Carrick hasn't had a decent season in nearly 3 years now.

Gerrard is a better player than Lampard, my point was if Lampard is still starting games, Gerrard at City would probably get more, simply on the basis he is currently a better player than Lampard is.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1611 on: November 23, 2014, 12:29:30 pm »
Blind doesn't offer anymore protection to United's midfield than Gerrrard does, Carrick hasn't had a decent season in nearly 3 years now.

Gerrard is a better player than Lampard, my point was if Lampard is still starting games, Gerrard at City would probably get more, simply on the basis he is currently a better player than Lampard is.

I agree he'd get plenty of game time for United or City. He wouldn't be playing every league minute though. He'd be part of the squad.

Offline Mamadou

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1612 on: November 23, 2014, 12:43:17 pm »

i think its you who is overrating him...Gerrard is average now, a mid-table material at best. That is the cruel reality... there is no shame in that, that will catch every great player.

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1613 on: November 23, 2014, 12:51:52 pm »
i think its you who is overrating him...Gerrard is average now, a mid-table material at best. That is the cruel reality... there is no shame in that, that will catch every great player.

If thats the case, what does that make the others?

None of them have had a season in the PL like Gerrard had last season for the best part of 3 seasons.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1614 on: November 23, 2014, 12:59:29 pm »

None of them have had a season in the PL like Gerrard had last season for the best part of 3 seasons.
You mean 11 out of 13 assists from set-plays that only he can take in the squad?

Offline Mamadou

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1615 on: November 23, 2014, 01:04:05 pm »

for the others i will post in their threads

last season we had three things that we don't have this season: 1.Suarez 2.Sturridge and 3. a lot of luck (stoke home,a.villa away,everton away,fulham away etc)

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1616 on: November 23, 2014, 01:06:21 pm »
You mean 11 out of 13 assists from set-plays that only he can take in the squad?

And countless key passes, chances created etc.

Not that there is anything wrong with set pieces, Fabregas himself has got many an assist from a set piece this season.

Thats not to doubt Gerrards creativity from deep last season, passes like the ones against Fulham, the one against Stoke in the build up to Sturridges goal was a key component to the way we played.

Also Coutinho took many set pieces last season, the reason why Gerrard takes the majority is because he is the best at them...

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1617 on: November 23, 2014, 01:07:52 pm »
for the others i will post in their threads

last season we had three things that we don't have this season: 1.Suarez 2.Sturridge and 3. a lot of luck (stoke home,a.villa away,everton away,fulham away etc)

So?

That doesn't take away from the mans performance...

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1618 on: November 23, 2014, 02:18:11 pm »
Farcical really that people will still try to blindly defend his performances.

If he was a new player bought in the summer, people would be calling him a flop
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #1619 on: November 23, 2014, 02:18:40 pm »

He's not playing badly today.
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline Humperdinck

• Kopite
« Reply #1620 on: November 23, 2014, 02:18:54 pm »

It's weird you stick up for Roy Hodgson, Man Utd, David Moyes but despise Steven Gerrard. Odd character!

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1621 on: November 23, 2014, 02:19:58 pm »
Zero communications between him and back 4. It`s unacceptable , Gerrard was again miles away from his position for their goal. One of these 2 sides is not doing their job and they are totally out of sync. Amateur stuff.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1622 on: November 23, 2014, 02:20:20 pm »
He's not playing badly today.

No protection for the defence from the deepest midfielder yet again
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1623 on: November 23, 2014, 02:20:52 pm »

yep, its the same reason united persisted with scholes for so long - we are doing the same thing

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1624 on: November 23, 2014, 02:22:16 pm »

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #1625 on: November 23, 2014, 02:22:43 pm »
usual tools in with the half-time knives...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #1626 on: November 23, 2014, 02:23:01 pm »
No protection for the defence from the deepest midfielder yet again
You do know Allen was off the pitch, right? Made a big difference.

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1627 on: November 23, 2014, 02:23:02 pm »
Genuinely didn't realise he was on the pitch until a long ball around 20 mins in.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1628 on: November 23, 2014, 02:24:02 pm »
How do you explain the distance between Gerrard and back 4 for their goal? Does that make us compact and synchronized or not?

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1629 on: November 23, 2014, 02:25:47 pm »

I know that, and I disagree with the fact that Allen got injured and as a result we got punished rather than them, but Gerrard was offering nothing to defend the situation, and Lovren seemed about 5 yards out of the correct position to close it down.

He's offering so little anymore, and we need to make the decision quickly

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1630 on: November 23, 2014, 02:27:28 pm »

No excuse mate, we parted like the red sea for Moses, not 1 player stepped up to closed him down - we backed off and he punished us. If we're a man down you get compact and have 2 banks of 4, not try and play expansive football - we are clueless from top to bottom, no leadership at all from anyone in the team. Gerrard isn't the source of any leadership anymore - a good leader would have taken his legs and taken the yellow whilst being a man down - we have no edge, we aren't snide or clinical.. Bunch of fannies this season, now we've lost our bite.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #1631 on: November 23, 2014, 02:29:20 pm »
Question to the mods...why does the blanket ban on player threads not include Gerrard?.......in the words of Simon Lobon...is there something we should know?
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1632 on: November 23, 2014, 02:35:14 pm »
Question to the mods...why does the blanket ban on player threads not include Gerrard?.......in the words of Simon Lobon...is there something we should know?

The argument was it wasn't a player thread, more a wider discussion than Gerrard but it does seem suspiciously like one now.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1633 on: November 23, 2014, 02:36:07 pm »
lock this crap please mods.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #1634 on: November 23, 2014, 02:38:49 pm »
Mainly because of a lot of bleating.
The argument was it wasn't a player thread, more a wider discussion than Gerrard but it does seem suspiciously like one now.
This is true