Author Topic: Gerrard - quoted as 'Gerrard open to move from Liverpool'  (Read 144769 times)

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
Re: Gerrard - quoted as 'Gerrard open to move from Liverpool'
« Reply #1560 on: November 22, 2014, 08:51:27 am »
Wait, Gerrard gets marked out of the game now at his kinda DM position and most think he could create space as a forward?

He doesn't get time on the ball now at centre mid but you often don't in the Premier League. Teams know now with our attack then when Gerrard plays in midfield that if you stop him then we won't know what to do because everything tends to go through him. If you had Borini and Gerrard up top then even if they're occupying 2 or 3 defenders then it frees up space for others to exploit and we'd have more of a midfield plan. Playing Mario on his own is such a waste of time that defenders are barely concerned about him at all and only takes 1 to keep him quiet. Then the rest of their players can stifle our movement elsewhere.

Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1561 on: November 22, 2014, 08:53:47 am »
Gerrards beat position now is playing the last 15/20 minutes up behind the striker or right side whipping balls in.

As am impact player off the bench.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #1562 on: November 22, 2014, 08:56:09 am »
He doesn't get time on the ball now at centre mid but you often don't in the Premier League. Teams know now with our attack then when Gerrard plays in midfield that if you stop him then we won't know what to do because everything tends to go through him. If you had Borini and Gerrard up top then even if they're occupying 2 or 3 defenders then it frees up space for others to exploit and we'd have more of a midfield plan. Playing Mario on his own is such a waste of time that defenders are barely concerned about him at all and only takes 1 to keep him quiet. Then the rest of their players can stifle our movement elsewhere.

Ah ok, I am still not sure he has the legs any more though. I don't think we even need a world class striker up front at the moment, we just need one or two QUICK, hard working players who will make space....I think if we had that we'd be playing pretty much the same way as last season. Baffles me that we don't

Online TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1563 on: November 22, 2014, 09:34:23 am »
Ah ok, I am still not sure he has the legs any more though. I don't think we even need a world class striker up front at the moment, we just need one or two QUICK, hard working players who will make space....I think if we had that we'd be playing pretty much the same way as last season. Baffles me that we don't

The main reason we were so fluid and free scoring last season was because we'd not one but two world class strikers up front.  The reason we're mute up top this season is because we have none.  Unfortunately this is coupled with a defense that is arguably worse than last season, as difficult as that is to achieve.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1564 on: November 22, 2014, 10:00:30 am »

He doesn't. But if he's going to start then we need to find a way to make it work.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1565 on: November 22, 2014, 10:43:11 am »
He should be an impact sub but he will start every match same as always.

Playing players not on a performance basis may cost us a top 4 spot this season and Rogers his job.

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1566 on: November 22, 2014, 10:45:36 am »
Playing favourites regardless of form does impact games and fan perception

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1567 on: November 22, 2014, 10:52:36 am »
Playing favourites regardless of form does impact games and fan perception

It's made me think twice about Rodger's suitability as a Liverpool manager.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1568 on: November 22, 2014, 11:57:45 am »
Shoehorning Gerrard in multiple starting positions. ::)

Like the poster said above he would be better as an impact sub.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1569 on: November 22, 2014, 12:54:04 pm »

I agree. This is the first time I have had doubts to.  Up until now there hasn't been any whatsoever.

Lets see how things pan out.

Offline GIPPO77

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1570 on: November 22, 2014, 01:02:06 pm »
It's more about Rodgers trying to make his atrocious signings look good by continually playing them than choosing Gerrard to play.
YNWA

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1571 on: November 22, 2014, 01:10:59 pm »
It's more about Rodgers trying to make his atrocious signings look good by continually playing them than choosing Gerrard to play.

It's as well as that.

Make no mistake, continually choosing Gerrard as a starter is not the way forward, in my opinion.

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1572 on: November 22, 2014, 01:45:24 pm »

The only signing he's relied on regardless of form is Lovren.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Cloudstepper

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1573 on: November 22, 2014, 04:06:29 pm »
I've just got this feeling he'll move on in either January or the Summer, especially if the team continues to perform the way it has done for the next couple of months or God forbid the rest of this season, i can see him trying something new... He must be feeling it more than most, the loss of Suarez, no Sturridge, poor signings etc, he's given his all for so long now and last season was a massive kick in the gut..

Offline Cloudstepper

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1574 on: November 22, 2014, 04:07:48 pm »

I did wonder this too, has he got a bit of an ego problem BR? Genuine question...

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1575 on: November 22, 2014, 04:33:43 pm »
I did wonder this too, has he got a bit of an ego problem BR? Genuine question...

Let's step back a second. Kenny kept going back to Adam, Downing, Carroll and Henderson in his full season, even though when he did give The likes of Maxi and Kuyt games they far out performed the new signings.
Would people attack Kenny's ego?
No, it is what managers do, they buy players and always want to play those to prove they were right in their original evaluations.
And, unlike Kenny, it isn't as if Rodgers is ignoring inform players, we are pretty much a squad of poor players right now.
So the simpler question is can Rodgers learn from Kenny's mistakes and be brave enough to move away from the shape and formations he spent the summer planning for and which he spent money on players to 'fit' and just try and evolve into a team that works.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline Tomaldinho

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • camina, camina, con esperanza de tu corazon
« Reply #1576 on: November 22, 2014, 05:40:39 pm »

Who would have the balls to drop Gerrard though? Who is big enough to LFC? Bigger than Gerrard? I can only think of one man and he's not Liverpool manager any more. You saw what was caused at Chelsea when Lampard stopped getting picked every game. It's damned if you, damned if you don't.
@TomNJones on Twitter

Offline redrockydennis

• Annie Wilkes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • gonna paint me jarg wheelie bin purple
« Reply #1577 on: November 22, 2014, 07:07:15 pm »
Who would have the balls to drop Gerrard though? Who is big enough to LFC? Bigger than Gerrard? I can only think of one man and he's not Liverpool manager any more. You saw what was caused at Chelsea when Lampard stopped getting picked every game. It's damned if you, damned if you don't.

Fuck me he's not Jesus bloody Christ
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes,
of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1578 on: November 22, 2014, 07:27:43 pm »
The Gerrard situation is comparable to Xavi at Barca.

34-year-old, one club legend, captain, local lad and fan made good. Playing in central midfield. Legs have gone and can no longer get about the pitch as much and not over 90 minutes. Just had a disastrous World Cup and then retired from international football. Always been first choice before.

The first thing Luis Enrique did when he took over was sign Rakitic and tell Xavi he's not going to be first choice anymore. Told him he wanted to keep him and he'd be a key squad player but if he wanted to leave he could do. If he stayed he had to accept he wouldn't always be playing. He thought about it, assessed his options and choice to stay. He's been on the bench a lot but played a lot. Probably more than expected with Iniesta injured and Rakitic rotated from time to time.

Instead, the conversation Rodgers has had with Gerrard seems to have been more along the lines of 'i'll have to leave you out more if you stay on with England'. He quit England stating that Rodgers said he'd limit his game time. As a result he still plays every league minute and all bar the one CL game where we put the second team out. It's mad that we haven't addressed the issue.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #1579 on: November 22, 2014, 07:47:40 pm »
Let's step back a second. Kenny kept going back to Adam, Downing, Carroll and Henderson in his full season, even though when he did give The likes of Maxi and Kuyt games they far out performed the new signings.
Would people attack Kenny's ego?
No, it is what managers do, they buy players and always want to play those to prove they were right in their original evaluations.
And, unlike Kenny, it isn't as if Rodgers is ignoring inform players, we are pretty much a squad of poor players right now.
So the simpler question is can Rodgers learn from Kenny's mistakes and be brave enough to move away from the shape and formations he spent the summer planning for and which he spent money on players to 'fit' and just try and evolve into a team that works.

but that's not what happened with kenny, really.  he was clearly looking to the future, when dirk and maxi would be phased out, and played the new players he had to move towards that, a lot like rodgers did in his first season.  that's not ego, it's trying to evolve rafa's team into a new model.  henderson wouldn't be the player he is (or was last season) without that forging in kenny's team, in my opinion.

rodgers this season is in a kind of halfway house - not seemingly making the best of what he had last season, nor making the best of what he's* just signed, both in terms of selections and tactics.  very weird.

*for a given value of "he".
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Mountainman

• Main Stander
  • Inspired by Bill Shankly
« Reply #1580 on: November 22, 2014, 10:24:01 pm »
As many have said, Gerrard as impact sub, and the odd start.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #1581 on: November 22, 2014, 10:26:55 pm »

The club is bigger than any individual although the King comes close.
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1582 on: November 22, 2014, 11:55:29 pm »
The club is bigger than any individual although the King comes close.

But is the manager big enough to drop the player?

Seems like he values the friendship more

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1583 on: November 23, 2014, 02:50:38 am »

Or maybe Rodgers just sees Gerrard, even at this point, to be a better player than Allen or Can or Lucas or whoever.
That is really the issue, the poster above talking about Xavi has a point, but Barca bought a player in Rakitic who they thought would be ready to replace him on day 1. We have spent the last few years buying players of potential or backup. We have lost top quality midfielders in Xabi and Mascherano and watched Gerrard age further and further from his world class days and have made zero attempt to buy an actual honest to goodness top quality midfielder. We didn't want to replace Suarez with a top drawer striker and I think Rodgers knows the clubs spending policy means we will never buy a ready for primetime replacement for Gerrard either. And maybe a midfield 3 of say Allen, Henderson and Can (or whoever else) will not in anyway be top 4 quality either.

@dgljones

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1584 on: November 23, 2014, 03:02:15 am »

Which in the future might be nice for the two of them.
As for now, leaves a hole in our midfield, our midfield, our midfield ...
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #1585 on: November 23, 2014, 06:12:26 am »
Or maybe Rodgers just sees Gerrard, even at this point, to be a better player than Allen or Can or Lucas or whoever.

At which position and for which role does Rodgers maybe just see Gerrard, even at this point, as a better player than Allen or Can or Lucas or whoever?

At some point that explanation starts making Rodgers actually look a little less astute than he is generally viewed as, I think.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #1586 on: November 23, 2014, 06:59:22 am »
At which position and for which role does Rodgers maybe just see Gerrard, even at this point, as a better player than Allen or Can or Lucas or whoever?

At some point that explanation starts making Rodgers actually look a little less astute than he is generally viewed as, I think.

Not until the other players actually make a consistent and prolonged claim to be better than him. People are questioning Rodgers and instead need to look at the rest of the midfielders. Even as of this season, it is last year's most present (Henderson and Gerrard) who have been our best two midfielders this season; even with their varying form.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1587 on: November 23, 2014, 07:57:05 am »

It isn't about position or role. That is over complicating it. I am saying maybe Rodgers thinks Gerrard is the best player he has available to him, so he is going to play him in midfield in some way and that there is not another midfielder in the squad capable of bringing more to the pitch than he does.
Gerrard has been poor this season, but it is very hard to make an argument that anyone has been better.

@dgljones

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1588 on: November 23, 2014, 08:03:07 am »

Gerrard is an icon for Liverpool, just like Del Piero was for Juventus or Raul for R.Madrid... Gerrard just like Del Piero or Raul, will do more harm than good if we continue to start him in every game... and it's no shame to say that he's holding us back
" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1589 on: November 23, 2014, 08:15:32 am »
Gerrard is an icon for Liverpool, just like Del Piero was for Juventus or Raul for R.Madrid... Gerrard just like Del Piero or Raul, will do more harm than good if we continue to start him in every game... and it's no shame to say that he's holding us back

Yup. What happens when Messi is 34, can't run and is completely ineffective (hypothetically speaking). Would he play every minute?  Nope. And that's the greatest player to ever live.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1590 on: November 23, 2014, 08:49:27 am »
That is really the issue, the poster above talking about Xavi has a point, but Barca bought a player in Rakitic who they thought would be ready to replace him on day 1. We have spent the last few years buying players of potential or backup. We have lost top quality midfielders in Xabi and Mascherano and watched Gerrard age further and further from his world class days and have made zero attempt to buy an actual honest to goodness top quality midfielder. We didn't want to replace Suarez with a top drawer striker and I think Rodgers knows the clubs spending policy means we will never buy a ready for primetime replacement for Gerrard either. And maybe a midfield 3 of say Allen, Henderson and Can (or whoever else) will not in anyway be top 4 quality either.

This is the point though. You end up with managed decline because you don't strengthen the position properly. We did the same thing at centre back for years when Carra was coming to the end; buying back up or potential rather than going out and buying a proper centre half who could come straight in and partner Agger or Skrtel.

Enrique made sure he signed an established centre mid. It was the first thing he did because he knew Xavi didn't have the legs to start every week and he knew to leave Xavi out he'd better make sure he had a better player at this point in their careers.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1591 on: November 23, 2014, 09:12:23 am »
Yup. What happens when Messi is 34, can't run and is completely ineffective (hypothetically speaking). Would he play every minute?  Nope. And that's the greatest player to ever live.

Gerrard can run and isn't completely ineffective. He's not been half as effective as last season though. But it's easy to write that down to age and not look at other factors.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1592 on: November 23, 2014, 09:15:17 am »
Gerrard can run and isn't completely ineffective. He's not been half as effective as last season though. But it's easy to write that down to age and not look at other factors.

He can't run mate like we need him too where he plays, and with the way our defence is exposed he's tiring himself even quicker. with the current personnel he is ineffective.

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #1593 on: November 23, 2014, 09:31:12 am »

If Messi is still their best forward (or in their best XI) he'll play, of course he will. And that's all that matters.

Messi's position is also different to that of a holding midfielder and which requires different levels of fitness.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1594 on: November 23, 2014, 09:36:03 am »

my granpa runs every morning too. Gerrard isn't dead, of course he can run...i can run, you can run, but thats not the point

he wouldn't make in the first eleven even for Southampton or Tottenham, let alone the likes of Chelsea,City or Arsenal...
" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1595 on: November 23, 2014, 09:42:50 am »

I don't think Gerrard has been a lot different to the first half of previous seasons under Rodgers. He really struggled in Rodgers' first half season and we actually had less points at this stage of the season and were out the league cup straight away. Rodgers was desperately trying to find a position for him because he recognised quickly he didn't have the legs to play higher up the pitch in his system, then he dropped him back and swapped him with Sahin. That's when Rodgers changed the possession game. He improved that season when Lucas came back in to shore the midfield up and Sturridge and Coutinho improved the attack and gave him more options on the ball.

Last season he was struggling a bit before his injury. He was having good games but struggled in a fair few. We just weren't getting a grip in midfield, particularly away, and Suarez and Sturridge were carrying us scoring all kinds of goals. Gerrard's injury made Rodgers tweak the system and the season exploded from there in terms of our performances. Gerrard adapted into that when he took Lucas' place when he came back.

This season he's really struggled the same as in Rodgers' first half season. I think when the team are struggling he finds it really difficult, particularly without a top attack to link with. His performances will improve if the teams performances do but it's up to the manager to come up with something different that will work. It might take Gerrard to have a spell out the side.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1596 on: November 23, 2014, 09:46:03 am »
If Messi is still their best forward (or in their best XI) he'll play, of course he will. And that's all that matters.

Messi's position is also different to that of a holding midfielder and which requires different levels of fitness.

Messi at Barca enjoys the status Gerrard mostly enjoys at Liverpool. He plays every minute in the league and the CL (other than one game 'the first team' were rested in). Although that might possibly change with 12 games in 40 days.

Even if Messi is still great at 34, I doubt he'll still have that same status and will be subbed and sub more like Xavi now at 34. Gerrard at 27 didn't have that status! I think by that age Messi will have dropped deeper if he's still playing.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 09:47:53 am by Fromola »

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1597 on: November 23, 2014, 10:13:09 am »
my granpa runs every morning too. Gerrard isn't dead, of course he can run...i can run, you can run, but thats not the point

he wouldn't make in the first eleven even for Southampton or Tottenham, let alone the likes of Chelsea,City or Arsenal...

He would start for almost all those teams.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1598 on: November 23, 2014, 10:25:40 am »
Rumours of my death have been grossly exaggerated.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1599 on: November 23, 2014, 10:50:15 am »

I think he'd only  be an impact player at United, Arsenal, City and Chelsea when they have everyone fit. He'd start for everyone else, albeit in various positions and systems. I don't think many would play him as the deepest midfielder.