Author Topic: Euro 2020 (2021) Chat & Final MATCH THREAD  (Read 527110 times)

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
Re: Euro 2020 (2021) Chat & Final MATCH THREAD
« Reply #22680 on: July 9, 2021, 04:15:20 pm »
I'm asking as an England fan because I'm English and Indian. My friends from my shitty little northern hometown are of indian and pakistani heritage but supporting England. Yet all I hear on this thread is about how racist the country is and how nice places like Italy are and people like you supporting Italy because of the xenophobia in England.

Really?

ALL you've heard on this thread?

You sure Scatty lad.

Respectfully suggest you read back through the thread mate to check on that 'ALL' aspect because as I see things it overlooks a quite significant aspect of why the thread has taken the wide diversion it has from its intended MATCH THREAD analysis path. Moreover, the aspect to which I refer is not a million miles away in its broad essence - albeit manifestly not anywhere near as fundamentally overt, concerning and worrying - as the racism and xenophobia to which you refer.

Fact is I alone have got a dozen or so posts in the thread since page 442 [footy link pure coincidence btw  :) :)] and there's not a solitary reference in any of them to racism or xenophobia as a reason for myself as a born and bred Englishman not supporting the national team. Read also the posts of so many others too - notably VBG - who likewise have made no reference whatsoever for their reasons for finding themselves unable to support England due to racism or xenophobia by English fans.

Of course there is a 'sort of' much diluted equivalent to those two rancid phenomena of racism and xenophobia which have been experienced by Liverpool folks over these past 40 odd post Thatcher years which have had the consequence of making those folks like myself come to feel alienated from the country of their birth purely because of their Liverpudlian roots. As a white person I of course have no idea how this equates to the sort of racism and xenophobia yourself and your mates have experienced but I assure you that in itself  it has been enough down the years to make the likes of myself feel very little if any connection with the country in which we were born.

As a person of Indian heritage who has lived in various European cities - England (the UK as whole for a matter) is light years ahead of 99% of the continent in the way it treats people like me. Yes I know you've done your various little tourist visits to cities and they've treated you nicely. Have you ever lived in Rome as a brown man? Did your African friend ever get raped and the police not give a shit just because she was African(thank god for NGOs in Rome)? Do you have a click in your ankle because someone randomly decided to stomp on it on a night out just because you look different and tell you that this country isn't your place to stay?

Have you ever lived in Krakow? It's a lovely city, I'm still here, 6 years now yet I've suffered a broken nose and a fractured orbital bone from 2 punches thrown at me by the faces of men I never saw with the words 'spierdalaj brazowy kurwa'. In Zagreb, another place I lived in and fell in love with, I was told 'n****s arent allowed here' before my friends intervened. This is in this decade just gone, the 2010s.

Unimaginably horrible experiences mate. I sympathise unequivocally with you and your friends. Shocking.

Sadly, such incidents do and can happen because some people are just shit, racist and violent too and regrettably they exist anywhere and everywhere whether it be Liverpool, Bradford, London or Krakow. Nonetheless, if as you allude we are light years ahead of other nations then that is great. Clearly.

Let me tell you about a story in the 1970s when an old white man decided to take a 14 year old indian kid who wanted to earn extra money to Liverpool market to work every morning and would drop him off to school too. Let me tell you about how a northern town in England took in 2 orphaned twins from Uganda whose parents were killed by Idi Amin and helped them grow up and become successful pharmacists whilst keeping them in tune with their culture. When I lived in North West London - my close friend group consisted of a Punjabi Sikh, a Hindu Punjabi, a kid from Zimbabwe, a Karachi Christian, a Gujarati Muslim, a Jewish kid from Barnet and a Tamil from Sri Lanka, I'm a 'Kutchi' Hindu.

They are truly heartwarming stories Scatty and they speak volumes about the decent folks you can find in this country. Whether England as a nation has more of this sort of kindness and noble action than other countries I am in no position to say - although we all have seen incidents and read tales of Eastern European countries in particular displaying diametrically opposite behaviour, presumably stemming from the absence of black and brown ethnic diversity in such countries which can I would surmise foster such antipathy - possibly not that dissimilar to parts of Britain in the time prior to large scale ethnic immigration which inevitably has gone on to change things here so dramatically. 

Why do I still live in a place with this kind of overt racism? My parents ask me that all the time, well my parents lived in 1960-70s England surivved and the country became accepting over time, so I'm hoping Poland will as well. I'm manager of a football team here, the first foreign founded club in the Polish league system, our captain has a rainbow armband, sure he's got kicked a lot for it too but our club is here for all (the Polish too). My club has 40 footballers from 24 countries and even more cultures. My ability to manage however is limited by the Polish FA, you have to be Polish to take coaching courses you see. Do you know who hasn't stopped me taking their courses despite where I live? The English FA, in fact their first 2 intro courses allow anyone anywhere in the world to take (my Brazilian, Angolan and Portuguese coaches have taken them - they've never lived in England). The course materials are also night and day to the ones in Poland, Croatia and other places - they focus on respect, positivity, empathy, inclusivity, disabled football, first aid training (especially CPR/defib).

Fantastic mate. Well done to you and your coaches. Terrific achievement.

Forgive me, however, if I do not shower the English FA with even the merest modicum of praise or appreciation no matter how deserved it may seem to be. They will always be a shower of c*nts to the likes of so many scousers - both Red and Blue - denied countless deserved tickets to enable the cronies to bask in their glory day at our expense. Oh and there's also a small matter of of their role in Hillsborough too both pre and post tragedy.

So back to the England team, I think most people who hate them, look back at the 70s and 80s and think England as a whole in its attitude is still like that towards 'forengers' - sure there's not a single British Asian (such a wide grouping its a ridiculous term) - however to me and my friends in our backwater Northern town and to my friends in London - when we look at that squad they represent us best than anyone else. They are a product of what our parents and grandparents achieved in England.

But of course to some of you, I'm just a racist xenophobe shouting Ingurland who says effnik and innit

I think I've already explained both here and within my many posts how so many within this thread - and, more significantly, within the wider population of our amazing wonderful city which is after all the home of the amazing wonderful footy club we all [or nearly all] on here support - no longer feel any affiliation to the national team of the country of their birth. 'Hate' is not necessarily how I would bracket the feelings of such folks but at very least the term 'love' most certainly does not figure in the equation.

And rest assured Scatty lad - you are clearly not a racist xenophobe shouting Ingurland and saying effnik and innit - unless that is you're the biggest fucking imposter on the planet which I very much doubt.
 ;D

PS Just a note for those referencing Scatty's post as brilliant - not least the mods [save for one]. I found it a post containing so many moving and touching very real life experiences and bloody good on Scatty for enriching the forum with those disturbing experiences which must make all of us shudder, take a breath and think on. However, I cannot agree with the brilliance mantle not least as it contains far too much what I'm compelled to term convenient and over-simplistic stereotyping of those like myself who do not support England not because they choose not to but because due to their own life experiences over many years they have simply no longer been left with that vital sense of attachment to their national team - or their home country - to do so.
« Last Edit: July 9, 2021, 04:18:12 pm by Timbo's Goals »

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #22681 on: July 9, 2021, 04:30:35 pm »
Maybe I just have that kind of face

Yorky's a big lad, to be fair. :D
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22682 on: July 9, 2021, 04:43:09 pm »
Nauseating wasn't it. Liking the new avatar.  8)

And that ignoring that he was always a bit behind the actual play.The twat was spewing as much shit as he could hoping that he got his "They think it's all over" moment,absolute knobhead.

No wonder his Mrs fucked him off.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #22683 on: July 9, 2021, 04:50:22 pm »
There's been some cracking posts in this thread - on both sides. Not that there's just two sides mind
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22684 on: July 9, 2021, 04:54:18 pm »
https://twitter.com/thismorning/status/1413428163099566085?s=19

Someone posted the original video on here the other day. Sounds like it's her younger sister turn to go the game on Sunday, but I do hope they sort her out a ticket.

What makes football so good and you can't give it up.

There are tens of thousands of kids more deserving of the extra ticket than she is mate,both her and her sister are lucky to come from a household that is able to buy blocks of tickets.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #22685 on: July 9, 2021, 05:19:15 pm »
John Stones is the most boring man in world sport, and possibly in the world outside of sport too.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22686 on: July 9, 2021, 05:28:08 pm »
John Stones is the most boring man in world sport, and possibly in the world outside of sport too.

More than Boring James Milner?

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #22687 on: July 9, 2021, 05:35:59 pm »
He is ok, very much the weakest link of all the creative players in the English side.

Watching Barella play, for me he looks a complete level above Mount. If we could sign a midfielder this season then he would be at the top of my list.

Agree.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #22688 on: July 9, 2021, 05:39:24 pm »
Not that there's just two sides mind

This is a good point and one everyone should remember when thinking about the supporting England argument.

The other is that there isn't really a right or wrong answer, just a personal preference based on our differing personal experiences.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #22689 on: July 9, 2021, 06:03:38 pm »
There's been some cracking posts in this thread - on both sides. Not that there's just two sides mind

Im on at least 3 sides just myself  ;D

Will say, if you actually live in Northern England and pretty much your every lifetime experience with England fans has been a frightening encounter with very drunk facist racist louts , and the team they support represents a government that has current and past history with breaking the unions that form the basis of the local economy, i think its pretty fair to say that you might not be strongly inclined to support that team. With whole country going mad and the incessant fleet street cheer leading i can see it being more than a bit sickening.

that's got to be a completely different experience from going to a bar in Toronto with a group of middle age ex pats for a hearty sing along and downing of friendly pints without a whiff of aggression in the air and being just one of many huge fan bases in the city with only medium level media coverage that covers the party more than the game typically.

Also watched back the semi again and in the cold light of day that IS the dive-iest England team i can ever remember   ;D harry grielish sterling in particular pretty damn good at it. If you find that annoying (i do) and English football the last available culture where such things are frowned upon, well then England winning on a soft sterling dive could be pretty damn annoying, i can see that.

There you go. Ive walked a mile in the other guys boots. Regular service will be resumed at my regularly scheduled pick up game this evening where at least 6-7 of the regulars are Italian. England shirt is tumbling in the dryer as we speak, there will be bantz. Penalty merchants those Italians Austria should have had them out.

Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22690 on: July 9, 2021, 06:15:21 pm »
Denmark's public broadcaster DR has gathered some stories from Denmark fans that were at Wembley, which include English fans shouting insults at Danish fans and their children and Danish fans being spat on, beaten or having bottles thrown at them

One woman who works as a football physiotherapist and is studying in Manchester told DR that she hadn't experienced anything like it at a football match. She spoke of

- Being followed and shouted at by a group of half a dozen male England supporters who told repeatedly told her to "fuck off to where you came from" among other things
- She noted there were England fans sitting in the Danish section with some trying to start fights/intimidate other fans

Another woman who went with her English husband and their three children, said the kids were largely afraid to take their jackets off to reveal their Denmark jerseys underneath. Her nine year-old son took off his jacket and put on a Denmark hat and was verbally abused. Another woman said had she known how the England fans would behave, she wouldn't have taken her daughter. Based on her experience, she believes there appears to be an accepted norm for England fans to be verbally confrontational and aggressive. They were relieved to get home and lock their door.

There's also this story in  the Evening Standard of an American journalist, his Danish wife and their son being harassed by England fans on the bus home. A group of people spotted their shirts when the bus stopped and then jumped on board whereupon they punched the man and attacked a passenger who tried to help them. Their kid ran up to the upper deck to get away from them and the driver eventually kicked the unruly mob off after they continued to be abusive.

A common theme in both these pieces: Danish fans begging the authorities to provide protection for Italian supporters on Sunday. Based on the response to England winning, I can't imagine what the reaction of some of these pricks will be if England were to lose.

That's fucking awful, albeit not surprising.

Couldn't pay me to be out and about on Sunday night in London, gonna be ugly whatever the result. Really ugly if they lose. Kick off time should have been moved - although broadcasting contracts are god - given what's known about a sizeable minority of england fans.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #22691 on: July 9, 2021, 06:48:33 pm »
To follow up on Scatmans post, although I am as anti-England (although not so anti GB) as probably anyone on this forum when it comes to sport, I make the odd exception for certain individuals in what is admittedly a very random and completely non-coherent way, one thing that I have said repeatedly on this forum when people complain about racism is that as a British Indian I can tell you 110% this is by far the most tolerant country compared to any Western country and probably any other country full stop. For all it faults it’s absolutely light years ahead of most, and I say that as a Remainer even after Brexit I’d still rather be a minority here compared to anywhere else.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22692 on: July 9, 2021, 06:54:46 pm »
To follow up on Scatmans post, although I am as anti-England (although not so anti GB) as probably anyone on this forum when it comes to sport, I make the odd exception for certain individuals in what is admittedly a very random and completely non-coherent way, one thing that I have said repeatedly on this forum when people complain about racism is that as a British Indian I can tell you 110% this is by far the most tolerant country compared to any Western country and probably any other country full stop. For all it faults it’s absolutely light years ahead of most, and I say that as a Remainer even after Brexit I’d still rather be a minority here compared to anywhere else.
I can't quite figure out if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Online BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22693 on: July 9, 2021, 06:57:24 pm »
It's only a game, why so serious?   :P

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #22694 on: July 9, 2021, 07:00:45 pm »
I can't quite figure out if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

It’s good doc, very good!
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #22695 on: July 9, 2021, 07:22:55 pm »

'It's coming Rome' is what they've been shouting.

:lmao

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #22696 on: July 9, 2021, 07:31:42 pm »
yeah and me Roy had a short discussion on the midfield yesterday, the italian trio are better than the English trio.

But Henderson is better than the Italian trio...put together. The gait on that man alone! Not to mention when he came on against Norway he adjusted a captains armband that wasn't even there!!  and then shouted at Grielish to get his shit in gear, before the ball was even in play. Thats a mans man right there. Put him on might as well call the midfield Trafalgar Square.  Might as well call the whole pitch Wembley! 

Oh wait....

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22697 on: July 9, 2021, 07:41:34 pm »
Part of my mini-mission over the last 4-weeks or so is to plead with people to separate hatred towards nationism and not to let non-football related issues impact their opinion. And also to understand the position that the young footballers that we'll be despising again in a few Saturdays are in now - just taking their career to a level they dreamt of as young footy players.
But I'm happy in this instance to stand partly corrected by Southgate with some of his quotes in this excellent David Conn article.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jul/08/england-and-southgate-stop-divisive-politicians-hijacking-euro-2020-success

Southgate on his players:
“It’s their duty to continue to interact with the public on matters such as equality, inclusivity and racial injustice,” he wrote, “ while using the power of their voices to help put debates on the table, raise awareness and educate.”
He used the language of football to address the racists:
“You’re on the losing side.” And the language of hope: “It’s clear to me that we are heading for a much more tolerant and understanding society, and I know our lads will be a big part of that.”
He had his say too on the culture wars, the plague of simplistic affiliation to statues, the union jack, stately homes and gunboats, with which Johnson’s government has sought cheap votes.
“I understand that on this island, we have a desire to protect our values and traditions – as we should,” Southgate wrote, “but that shouldn’t come at the expense of introspection and progress.”

What more of a powerful message could we see when England take the knee on Sunday - will the Italian players applaud them like the Denmark players did?

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #22698 on: July 9, 2021, 07:46:39 pm »
<snip>

Wasn't really directed at you, I can understand the thoughts of people living in Liverpool and what they've been through and your general antipathy towards the team. It was more the comments saying that supporting England means you're this or that. Like Yorky said theres many sides to it. As an establishment, I can understand as well your thoughts on the FA.
« Last Edit: July 9, 2021, 07:49:09 pm by scatman »
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline zimmie'5555

• passenger on an intergalactic spaceship... sometimes wishes he was a woman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22699 on: July 9, 2021, 08:09:56 pm »
Part of my mini-mission over the last 4-weeks or so is to plead with people to separate hatred towards nationism and not to let non-football related issues impact their opinion.

Nationalism tends to have a lot to do with a national football team. Yes, Gareth seems like someone we should have a lot of respect for, yes, the players are a great bunch of lads and if they do win I'll be happy for them, especially Hendo, Rashford and Sterling. I'm sure a lot of the Man Utd players are really sound too but I'm not supporting them either. It'd be lovely if England winning could bring about a sea change in attitudes of a lot of people who follow England's football team - and if it did, I'd be all for it - but I think that's massive wishful thinking.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22700 on: July 9, 2021, 08:14:49 pm »
It’s good doc, very good!
But doesn't it mean that the whole world is crap, in fact so crap that it makes us appear good.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22701 on: July 9, 2021, 09:02:33 pm »
It'd be lovely if England winning could bring about a sea change in attitudes of a lot of people who follow England's football team - and if it did, I'd be all for it - but I think that's massive wishful thinking.
It would be lovely indeed mate, but it won't. Although the good news from scatman is that we're one of the most tolerant countries, I tend to agree with Michael when he said we're a country that doesn't understand itself. This is political, but the horrific murder of Jo Cox was supposed to bring a sea change in many things, it never happened. It will take two generations for it to happen if it ever will.

Things have changed since I saw seven (7) Liverpool players start for our national team, and I'll probably never feel the same about England as I did back then. Although those LFC legends living will still, they'll look at their Caps over the weekend proudly. But meanwhile, I'll allow myself some enthusiasm and hope of seeing my country, represented by young lads who only know football and who will kneel for a cause, win a major tournament.
Joins us zims lad :)

Offline Antics

• Roadshow
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is what you'll get when you mess with us.
« Reply #22702 on: July 9, 2021, 09:28:42 pm »
Nationalism tends to have a lot to do with a national football team. Yes, Gareth seems like someone we should have a lot of respect for, yes, the players are a great bunch of lads and if they do win I'll be happy for them, especially Hendo, Rashford and Sterling. I'm sure a lot of the Man Utd players are really sound too but I'm not supporting them either. It'd be lovely if England winning could bring about a sea change in attitudes of a lot of people who follow England's football team - and if it did, I'd be all for it - but I think that's massive wishful thinking.

It is likely wishful thinking, however I am hopeful that England winning a major tournament with this particular group may represent the sort of seismic cultural event thats needed.

Tweets like this one fill me with so much optimism (apologies I have no idea how to embed) https://twitter.com/amarjourno/status/1413227274145574913?s=20

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #22703 on: July 9, 2021, 09:30:28 pm »

Nationalism has nothing to do with football. But nationalists might try and co-opt football. Especially if passive fans allow them to do so.

And nobody is expecting a sea change. But the tide is going out on outdated attitudes, as I evidenced by posts from scatman and West London Red. When the tide goes out, we'll see that some people have been swimming without a costume on: nationalists and coat tailing populists like Johnson and Patel. That's the powerful image that I'm leaving you with this evening! 😁

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
« Reply #22704 on: July 9, 2021, 09:33:46 pm »
Support England or not it’s up too the individual

The amount of comments over pages & pages often is people don’t want to support them because England is racist with its Brexit, ingurland, EDL fans etc etc . I hate all this also but

Now of course there’s racism it’s  everywhere in every country

My point is people seem to think other countries are racist free it’s only England

It appears some posters have little awareness of what has happened in other countries . Or barely travelled

Canada - hundreds of dead First Nations children’s remains found at schools recently . Not from hundreds of years ago but mid 20th century

If Canada were playing you’d  all support them . It’s just an example nowhere is perfect

Australia now I live here and can tell you it’s 100% more racist country than England . We’re  still at the stage here where unless you white your not really a true Aussie

No Brexit vote or ingurland chants . The treatment of indigenous people in the county is one of the most shameful & shocking things in history. Still happening

No you won’t see it on your nice holiday to Sydney or Melbourne they are a different world. You need to live in areas where indigenous live like Darwin where I live .

I thought I knew Australia I’d travelled around been many times but wow how history has literally been white washed . How the lies, myths & right wing media which dominates here bullshit  , a country about 30 years behind England in its racial & discrimination thinking .

Read up on the treatment of Adam Goodes an indigenous Aussie rules player by fans , pundits & the AFL  . Only recent years shocking & made him retire early . There’s a good documentary on it called , The Final Quarter

But again most if Australia could play would want them to win not racist England

Yes we have issues in England but some people on here are so blinkered with their anti England views they can’t see even the nicest thought of countries have horrendous issues . Just some examples

Not even touched on the Eastern European countries or Italy etc .

Scatman posts who has lived that experience speaks for that far better than I ever could

I don’t care if you support England or not but let’s get some perspective  :wave

« Last Edit: July 9, 2021, 09:44:58 pm by WEST HAM PAUL »
Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Sex bombs to the left of me would be playboy bunnies to the right and here I am stuck in the middle with my pasty white bird.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22705 on: July 9, 2021, 09:48:52 pm »
I think the problem (this is probably better for the other thread but here anyways) is that "England" has seemingly been co-opted by all that most decent people despise. And us Liverpool fans - used to getting dog's abuse from all quarters by any number of club supporters who also wave England flags - have even less reason to be enthusiastic than the rest.  Not just Liverpool fans, but the stick our players get: the foreign players are diving cheats and the English players are vastly underrated and don't receive the national acclaim they deserve.  We've had to fight for every ounce of respect, and it always seems to be given grudgingly.

So I understand why many Liverpool supporters, even those born in the UK, dislike the very concept of supporting England, much less seeing them win something. They see it as a win for the right wing mongrels.

Personally, as I've said, I'm indifferent.  I'll be pleased enough if England win, as it's not something I've seen in my lifetime, and never thought I'd actually see at all.  But I won't lose any sleep over it if we (they?) don't either.

I just wish that us who lament how the English and England brand has been taken over can't take it back.  There clearly has to be more decent England supporters out there than the rabid, opposition national anthem booing knuckled draggers we're seeing plastered all over TV screens.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #22706 on: July 9, 2021, 09:56:56 pm »
yeah and me Roy had a short discussion on the midfield yesterday, the italian trio are better than the English trio.
Not even close however the Italian midfield will need to impose themselves early because we’ve seen so far in the tournament that the three of them very rarely last 90 minutes together. I can see Italy trying to start fast and get their noses in front early.

I’m surprised their squad flew home on Wednesday, a lot of unnecessary travelling.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22707 on: July 9, 2021, 10:13:37 pm »
Nationalism is a peculiar word round these parts.

You can’t have this and the other thread without acknowledging at least “small N” nationalism, can you?

But on here it’s conflated with extremism of course. Nazism even for some posters, when it suits them.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22708 on: July 9, 2021, 10:17:01 pm »

It appears some posters have little awareness of what has happened in other countries . Or barely travelled

Canada - hundreds of dead First Nations children’s remains found at schools recently . Not from hundreds of years ago but mid 20th century

If Canada were playing you’d  all support them . It’s just an example nowhere is perfect

You're not wrong.

If these were playing (the people behind those remains) then I wouldn't.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22709 on: July 9, 2021, 10:23:04 pm »
Not even close however the Italian midfield will need to impose themselves early because we’ve seen so far in the tournament that the three of them very rarely last 90 minutes together. I can see Italy trying to start fast and get their noses in front early.

I’m surprised their squad flew home on Wednesday, a lot of unnecessary travelling.

It's not a long flight though is it mate.

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #22710 on: July 9, 2021, 10:29:05 pm »
Support England or not it’s up too the individual

The amount of comments over pages & pages often is people don’t want to support them because England is racist with its Brexit, ingurland, EDL fans etc etc . I hate all this also but

Now of course there’s racism it’s  everywhere in every country

My point is people seem to think other countries are racist free it’s only England

Without wishing to speak for anyone else, I'd suggest it's as simple as the fact that they presumably all live in England and it's to do with what they see or hear every day rather than anything deeper. I don't imagine people are literally comparing anything relating to other countries. No one (I don't think anyway) is suggesting it's better to support Italy because their politics or whatever are better than ours, it's literally that it's anyone but England because that's where they live and have issues with, however shallow that sounds, views on football are rarely that deep or even well thought out!
« Last Edit: July 9, 2021, 10:30:51 pm by redgriffin73 »
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22711 on: July 9, 2021, 10:37:25 pm »
Has the Euros final always been on a Sunday evening and if not, whose shite idea was it?

Nothing good about a Sunday evening kick-off.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22712 on: July 9, 2021, 10:39:29 pm »
Has the Euros final always been on a Sunday evening and if not, whose shite idea was it?

It has been as far back as Euro 96. I vaguely remember Denmark beating Germany in 92 on a Friday night and that Van Basten volley in 88 was on a Saturday afternoon. In both those last two I remember being in the car with my dad listening on the radio. Lovely stuff.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22713 on: July 9, 2021, 10:40:49 pm »

Think it has yeah, in recent memory at least.

Fucking ridiculous though, either have it on Saturday at 8pm or Sunday at 4.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #22714 on: July 9, 2021, 10:43:58 pm »
It's not a long flight though is it mate.
Not particularly, but if it was a one country tournament, they wouldn’t be popping home. In covid times you’d think travelling would be kept to a minimum.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22715 on: July 9, 2021, 10:47:57 pm »
Nationalism is a peculiar word round these parts.

You can’t have this and the other thread without acknowledging at least “small N” nationalism, can you?

But on here it’s conflated with extremism of course. Nazism even for some posters, when it suits them.
I'm not sure what you mean by that Roy mate. And I'm not being arsey.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22716 on: July 9, 2021, 10:50:12 pm »
Not particularly, but if it was a one country tournament, they wouldn’t be popping home. In covid times you’d think travelling would be kept to a minimum.

It does seem weird.

I wonder if it’s around training? And not having a proper base in London?

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22717 on: July 9, 2021, 10:50:48 pm »
I'm not sure what you mean by that Roy mate. And I'm not being arsey.

I’d invite people to reflect on it John.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22718 on: July 9, 2021, 10:52:43 pm »

If it were a 1 country tourny then they'd have a base though wouldn't they.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #22719 on: July 9, 2021, 10:53:16 pm »
I’d invite people to reflect on it John.

Is international football possible without nationalism?

Surely not...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...