Author Topic: Arsenal: Top of the divers league  (Read 366351 times)

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Arsenal: Top of the divers league
« Reply #8360 on: May 6, 2024, 10:48:05 am »
Interesting game for sure but they are utter shit. Be amazed if you don’t win that.

In sure we ll get a tonne of chances, we need to be clinical though because united are a funny side if you don’t kill them off.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #8361 on: May 6, 2024, 10:49:33 am »
In sure we ll get a tonne of chances, we need to be clinical though because united are a funny side if you don’t kill them off.
As we know all too well however your defence is Milan 88-90 in comparison to ours at the moment.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #8362 on: May 6, 2024, 10:49:38 am »
We had nothing to play for and we aren't in great form. For a team with a decent chance of making the top 4, they were embarrassing yesterday.

Logically, they should have at least wanted it more than us.

I think Spurs were the perfect team for us to play - the way they set-up (or don't set-up, if you look at their backline) was just made for the Reds to exploit.
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #8363 on: May 6, 2024, 10:52:37 am »

I think the Arse will have too much for them.

You are correct though, I've seen a few of their games this season and they appear to be constantly under siege - even to bottom half teams - only to nick a win or a draw at the end. It's really strange.
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8364 on: May 6, 2024, 11:01:00 am »
Arsenal could end up with nothing after a season with close to 90 points, 60+ GD, conceding the fewest goals and scoring nearly 100 goals. They'll know how we have felt.

It was mentioned yesterday and I hadn’t really thought of it like that, but at least every time we had a near miss of a season with City we had a trophy or two to show for it as well. We’ve never had a 90 point season and come away completely empty handed which would have to sting more.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8365 on: May 6, 2024, 11:51:18 am »
I'm not Arteta's biggest fan but one thing I like about them is that they win duels all over the park. That's what makes them so strong defensively.

It's probably why they are phasing Zinchenko out and it's a new trend with City aldo playing natural defenders on the flanks.

If you win your duels then you demoralize the opposition.  It's the reason why players rarely attack Virg (because they know they don't really have a chance).

It's something we could improve on because we lose too many duels in attack, midfield and defence.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8366 on: May 6, 2024, 11:58:04 am »
I'm not Arteta's biggest fan but one thing I like about them is that they win duels all over the park. That's what makes them so strong defensively.

It's probably why they are phasing Zinchenko out and it's a new trend with City aldo playing natural defenders on the flanks.

If you win your duels then you demoralize the opposition.  It's the reason why players rarely attack Virg (because they know they don't really have a chance).

It's something we could improve on because we lose too many duels in attack, midfield and defence.

Probably another reason why he signed Timber and was playing him left back, as well as his build up play.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8367 on: May 6, 2024, 12:13:26 pm »
Probably another reason why he signed Timber and was playing him left back, as well as his build up play.
He has gone back to basics and we can go back to that as well because that's what we used to it but we're softer these days.

In our attack, only an inconsistent Darwin consistently wins his duel, maybe Diaz at time. That's it. If we're under pressure, the others keep turning it over. Havertz is underrated in that aspect.

In midfield, maybe Curtis Jones or Endo to an extent. The rest regularly lose their 1v1s and some don't even commit to a tackle. Declan Rice dominates in this area and Odegaard is more physical that his style of play suggests.

In defence, we have Trent who regularly gets targeted because he tends to lose his duels.

Maybe the trend is not giving teams an inch anymore.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8368 on: May 6, 2024, 12:39:57 pm »
I think Arsenal will do it.

Fulham and Spurs away. I think City trip up in one of those fixtures.

Good luck to them if they do. Fuck City. Cheating fucking bastards.

Ah boyo. I remember too many seasons thinking the same thing when it came to us battling them. They never did tho'. Mind you it will happen sometime I suppose. Well done to Arsenal for pushing it all the way. I didn't see us falling apart so suddenly and as a result I'm a bit numb to the whole "who's gonna win it thing". I genuinely thought we would, despite seeing all the reasons we didn't. In any case this really is Liverpool. It's Shakespearian and there is always a twist in the tale.
Now we're out of it it's less Shakespeare and more a techno 24-hour dance and dive off in the dark, with human robots on speed. Last man standing turn the lights back on.....

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8369 on: May 6, 2024, 01:13:19 pm »

Isnt that what the premier league is all about, especially away from home, (earn the right to play etc) spend half an hour winning the duels and then win the game, or win the game early then spend the rest of the game fighting it out over 50-50s. We had that in abundance under Wenger in the early years, a big physical side that can battle. Then he went the barca way with tiny players that score perfect goals but we didnt have messi or xavi so couldnt manage games when the tide turns and the pure football isnt working. Now we have our biggest side since then, 2 centre backs playing at full back in White and Tomiyasu, Zinchenko had to go because the long diagonal to the tall striker against smaller full backs is a weapon that half the premier league use to great effect.
We are still not slick as the cheaters, but we can battle it out.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8370 on: May 6, 2024, 01:19:52 pm »
Asked why West Ham have suffered heavy defeats away from home this term following the 5-0 loss at Chelsea, Moyes replied: ‘Declan Rice.

‘You get the best midfield player in the country, protecting, making sure the moments and times you limit maybe 50 per cent of the attacks and the moments, when you get that then it makes you a much better defensive team.

West ham fans wondered why he was making a sideways step to a team no better than theirs.....

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8371 on: May 6, 2024, 01:34:25 pm »
Asked why West Ham have suffered heavy defeats away from home this term following the 5-0 loss at Chelsea, Moyes replied: ‘Declan Rice.

‘You get the best midfield player in the country, protecting, making sure the moments and times you limit maybe 50 per cent of the attacks and the moments, when you get that then it makes you a much better defensive team.

West ham fans wondered why he was making a sideways step to a team no better than theirs.....

Players like Rice make centre halves lives so much easier. It's not just the tackles its the covering runs that you don't see when you see a game of TV. I was a fairly shit centre half when I played, but when you have someone like that in front of you it makes you look far better. Not having players coming at you from all angles because the defensive mid has the intelligence to stop them happening is priceless. I thought Rice was good, maybe a bot over rated but from what I have seen this season he really is superb
It's one of the reasons I like Van Dijk so much too, seeing an attack before it actually develops is the best quality there is to play alongside. 

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #8372 on: May 6, 2024, 01:37:35 pm »
But if arteta won the first, I dunno, 20 games on the trot. I doubt wed be too pissed off.
I know we are hiring slott for potential, but arteta is in touching distance of a first league win since forever for arsenal. And if not for the cheats pretty much home and dry for his second. (and if my aunt had balls etc). It feels as if arteta can still learn a bit too. Though I don't imagine he can go up another level. Maybe, with hindsight and experience he goes all out for that win against city. If that result is the difference between title and not he's done OK.  And it yet might turn out to have been the right decision. (no idea if there's a scenario where he wins it with a point whereas as going for it and losing that game would swing it the other way)

Obviously we could be won over, but I think initially people would have been very cynical about the appointment, and I don’t think we’d steal a manager direct from a top 6 rival. Has any manager gone between top 6 sides directly? I can’t remember one off the top of my head.

It’d be tough to argue that Slot isn’t a manager of less pedigree than Arteta currently, but then it would have been hard to argue Arteta was of a better pedigree than Emery when he came in.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8373 on: May 6, 2024, 01:54:42 pm »
Just saw a clip on Facebook of Saliba pushing a Chelsea player back towards goal and holding him there so Arsenal were not offside and they scored. Cheats.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8374 on: May 6, 2024, 02:00:32 pm »
I think Arsenal will do it.

Fulham and Spurs away. I think City trip up in one of those fixtures.

Good luck to them if they do. Fuck City. Cheating fucking bastards.

If we were in Arsenals position I wouldn't be looking at the remaining games and thinking "ADFC will drop points there". I actually think Arsenal will drop points v Utd, the game raising twats
Jurgen YNWA

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8375 on: May 6, 2024, 02:05:58 pm »
Just saw a clip on Facebook of Saliba pushing a Chelsea player back towards goal and holding him there so Arsenal were not offside and they scored. Cheats.

Genius, the way he reads the game is brilliant. Especially to do it against chelsea. Been waiting for this type of payback 20 years.

Online JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8376 on: May 6, 2024, 03:03:31 pm »
Genius, the way he reads the game is brilliant. Especially to do it against chelsea. Been waiting for this type of payback 20 years.
He is a cheating c*nt.

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
« Reply #8377 on: May 6, 2024, 03:20:24 pm »

That is some great shithousing.

Online JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8378 on: May 6, 2024, 03:40:19 pm »
That is some great shithousing.
Yeah I agree, if your team is set up to cheat in anyway possible. Like Arsenal.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #8379 on: May 6, 2024, 03:43:15 pm »
Which explains why its sometimes nice, to debate with other fans, from time to time.  ;D

True. But it's even nicer to bait them.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8380 on: May 6, 2024, 04:09:38 pm »
No West Ham fan thought that in the summer after Arsenal had so recently collapsed to second.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8381 on: May 6, 2024, 04:34:05 pm »
Yeah I agree, if your team is set up to cheat in anyway possible. Like Arsenal.

I don't know if people think that's meant to annoy us...most think it's brilliant to be honest.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8382 on: May 6, 2024, 04:51:23 pm »
I don't know if people think that's meant to annoy us...most think it's brilliant to be honest.

Which is fine as long as you take the occasional defeat with good grace, like that Newcastle game.

Online JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8383 on: May 6, 2024, 05:17:36 pm »
Which is a large part of why Arsenal, and their fans, are so disliked on here.

Offline Buster Gonad

• Kopite
« Reply #8384 on: May 6, 2024, 05:45:37 pm »

They're Real Madrid with shit players and a shit manager but somehow produce moments. Funny side for sure

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8385 on: May 6, 2024, 05:58:47 pm »
Which is a large part of why Arsenal, and their fans, are so disliked on here.

To be honest, I don't expect us to be liked, or judged to the same standards. It is what it is.

Which is fine as long as you take the occasional defeat with good grace, like that Newcastle game.

In a game where holding, shirt pulling, grappling etc goes all the time, edging a player towards his own goal is hardly crime of the century. Last week it was standing in front of the goalkeeper. ;D
« Last Edit: May 6, 2024, 06:01:38 pm by ScottishGoon »

Online JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8386 on: May 6, 2024, 06:16:45 pm »
To be honest, I don't expect us to be liked, or judged to the same standards. It is what it is.

In a game where holding, shirt pulling, grappling etc goes all the time, edging a player towards his own goal is hardly crime of the century. Last week it was standing in front of the goalkeeper. ;D
He didn’t ‘edge him towards the goal’ he grappled him and pushed him about 5 yards then held onto him.
It would seem Arsenal’s ‘free kick guru’ is just telling them to foul and block opponents at set pieces. Ridiculous what Arsenal have got away with this season. If they were reffed the same as us they would be nowhere near winning the title.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8387 on: May 6, 2024, 06:18:27 pm »

Their entire set piece routines are built on cheating. Ben White for example is solely in the box to foul the goalkeeper.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8388 on: May 6, 2024, 06:19:45 pm »
Their entire set piece routines are built on cheating. Ben White for example is solely in the box to foul the goalkeeper.
Yet they get away with it every single time.
Imagine if we had refs that consistently helped us out rather than screwing us.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8389 on: May 6, 2024, 06:38:17 pm »
He didn’t ‘edge him towards the goal’ he grappled him and pushed him about 5 yards then held onto him.
It would seem Arsenal’s ‘free kick guru’ is just telling them to foul and block opponents at set pieces. Ridiculous what Arsenal have got away with this season. If they were reffed the same as us they would be nowhere near winning the title.

Grappling in the box at corners and set pieces...cant be having that!!
« Last Edit: May 6, 2024, 06:41:36 pm by ScottishGoon »

Online JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8390 on: May 6, 2024, 06:44:03 pm »
Grappling in the box at corners and set pieces...cant be having that!!
If you think that is the same as what happens every corner then you’re no better than the other Arsenal fans on here.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8391 on: May 6, 2024, 08:02:35 pm »
If you think that is the same as what happens every corner then you’re no better than the other Arsenal fans on here.

I don't know how you expect me to react? I call some of the stuff as I see it, I don't like some of the diving (though I think some of the criticism is over exaggerated), I can understand how Arteta gets under people's skin, I don't like the fans leaving early among other things.

But I just think folk are straw clutching if they are outraged at this!

https://twitter.com/B0G4N_N5/status/1783885769062425052?t=5_ZTp6krEb0PSDiUQjEisA&s=19

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8392 on: May 6, 2024, 08:17:16 pm »
Olise !

I hope Arteta is taking notes

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #8393 on: May 6, 2024, 11:38:09 pm »
I don't know how you expect me to react? I call some of the stuff as I see it, I don't like some of the diving (though I think some of the criticism is over exaggerated), I can understand how Arteta gets under people's skin, I don't like the fans leaving early among other things.

But I just think folk are straw clutching if they are outraged at this!

https://twitter.com/B0G4N_N5/status/1783885769062425052?t=5_ZTp6krEb0PSDiUQjEisA&s=19

To be honest the most objectionable thing in that tweet was the use of "TP5"  :puke2
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8394 on: May 6, 2024, 11:47:33 pm »
To be honest the most objectionable thing in that tweet was the use of "TP5"  :puke2

I think it’s because he can’t be named for legal reasons.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #8395 on: May 6, 2024, 11:48:54 pm »
I think it’s because he can’t be named for legal reasons.

;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8396 on: May 7, 2024, 09:50:55 am »

The modern football fan eh? Honestly, I really shake my head with them when I see some of the shit posted on X, it's all about trying to get a reaction (a bit like 1 or 2 on here I suppose). We do have a large number of them that do your head in.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #8397 on: May 7, 2024, 01:16:12 pm »

It does seem like they are trying to create some kind of NFL playbook.  I can't imagine it takes up much time to work on the routines and as they've been very successful., why would they not continue with it?
I'm fairly sure next season, we'll see a lot of other clubs trying the same things. And them PGMOL clamp down on it  , starting and ending with a big game for us.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8398 on: May 7, 2024, 01:26:33 pm »
It does seem like they are trying to create some kind of NFL playbook.  I can't imagine it takes up much time to work on the routines and as they've been very successful., why would they not continue with it?
I'm fairly sure next season, we'll see a lot of other clubs trying the same things. And them PGMOL clamp down on it  , starting and ending with a big game for us.

Its not a foul if you stand your ground and goalkeepers/defenders run into you. Our blockers stop moving the second the delivery comes in, that causes havoc but no fouls are committed. Theres nothing to clamp down on.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #8399 on: May 7, 2024, 01:51:57 pm »
A foul is a very grey area these days. I'm certainly not going to get into a debate over whether certain incidents are fouls or if your tactics in generally rely on fouls.  IF they were to be deemed fouls , you're unlikely to get bookings for them, so it's a very low risk policy.
I was more saying I think others will copy it.
And if it's 'deemed' to be fouling , then we will no doubt bear the brunt of the PGMOL's laughable attempt to stamp it out.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.