Author Topic: Daniel Andre Sturridge  (Read 1159554 times)

Offline Chig

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
Re: Daniel Andre Sturridge
« Reply #8320 on: August 10, 2014, 06:42:35 am »
Touch rugby. Lots of researches found that touch rugby players had the least hamstring injury compare to most field and court sport.
KD7 SG8 RF9 JB10

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8321 on: August 10, 2014, 07:14:53 am »
What's "touch footies"? Is it Aussie Rules football without the tackling?

Close. Its rugby league without the tackling.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Chig

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #8322 on: August 10, 2014, 07:28:47 am »
Close. Its rugby league without the tackling.

It involve lots of back paddling, way more than Rugby league and in terms of running fitness, it is as tough if not more than Rugby 7s.
KD7 SG8 RF9 JB10

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #8323 on: August 10, 2014, 09:28:43 am »
I can see how lots of back-peddling would be such a strengthener there; if you do it enough (like in daft backwards races and such for fun in training - I was/am a nippy runner, and used to take the piss like that when significantly ahead on longish runs), the hammies are where you seem to feel it working most, you can sense them stretch more as you 'stride'. Never really gave much thought to how seriously beneficial that could be, though!

Would it not just be enough to include that significantly more itself in regular training for our quickies though? Or in the gym? How about backwards peddling on bikes on some low-but-noticable resistance setting? Is it simply more natural and beneficial when implemented in a 'touch footy' match context, with the regular changes of running direction (I presume, I've never even heard of it!) and proper competitive game element keeping it from getting boring, like the players are so involved in trying to win they don't even realise they're training that particular part so hard (similar to how little 1 & 2 touch match sessions really seem to improve you over time without you even knowing, 'cause you're all just having fun)? Just curious.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8324 on: August 10, 2014, 10:47:27 am »
Watched his little hip hop quiz with Ibe yesterday. This lad is infectious.

Yeah it was funny. He seems like a real good character to have in the dressing room, not the sulky egotistical persona he is portrayed by some people. I noticed how supportive he was with Jordan and am also just watching the Liverpool Arsenal game from last season how he makes a big point of giving Coutinho credit for the assist. Nice to see, seems like a  great fella and that's not even mentioning his boss football and dancing skillz.
Football is a lie

Offline Chig

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #8325 on: August 10, 2014, 11:03:39 am »
I can see how lots of back-peddling would be such a strengthener there; if you do it enough (like in daft backwards races and such for fun in training - I was/am a nippy runner, and used to take the piss like that when significantly ahead on longish runs), the hammies are where you seem to feel it working most, you can sense them stretch more as you 'stride'. Never really gave much thought to how seriously beneficial that could be, though!

Would it not just be enough to include that significantly more itself in regular training for our quickies though? Or in the gym? How about backwards peddling on bikes on some low-but-noticable resistance setting? Is it simply more natural and beneficial when implemented in a 'touch footy' match context, with the regular changes of running direction (I presume, I've never even heard of it!) and proper competitive game element keeping it from getting boring, like the players are so involved in trying to win they don't even realise they're training that particular part so hard (similar to how little 1 & 2 touch match sessions really seem to improve you over time without you even knowing, 'cause you're all just having fun)? Just curious.

I think it is a lot to do with every session of backward running that is schedule there would be 5-10 forward running in a week..... so it is all about finding the right balance to keep the hammies conditioned enough to counter act the force from the quads.

Since we are on the topic of hammies!! Anyone that had problem with hammies should stay away from treadmills. It is now well researched to be the hammy killer!! For real tho it is well proven that it shut down the hammies' neural activities by 10 folds, so if you want to go for a run, go outside!!!!!
KD7 SG8 RF9 JB10

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8326 on: August 10, 2014, 02:23:22 pm »
So that finish was cool as fuck just like him.  8)

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #8327 on: August 10, 2014, 02:31:04 pm »
Daniel should be placed in a box of cotton wool after games.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8328 on: August 10, 2014, 03:17:38 pm »
Noticed him starting runs before Coutinho has even received the ball before. Just reads what's going to happen really well.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8329 on: August 10, 2014, 03:19:30 pm »
PoP was his run for the goal based off a trigger (because he was on his way well before the ball came to Coutinho)?  Or was that more of an understanding between the two?

Come on man its' there understanding. They've been linked since they both signed at the same time.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8330 on: August 10, 2014, 03:21:23 pm »
Still better than Torres ever was.

He'll remove all doubt once the European games start in earnest.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #8331 on: August 10, 2014, 03:24:18 pm »
Touch rugby. Lots of researches found that touch rugby players had the least hamstring injury compare to most field and court sport.

Interesting. Not sure what the correlation is, though, would be interesting to look at that study.

Russian Hamstring stretches are what I was taught are the best exercises for activating the hamstrings in eccentric contractions. I don't think it matters so much though - any exercise that does the job will do. I think they are grossly under-worked muscles in terms of physical preparation.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8332 on: August 10, 2014, 03:34:34 pm »

Sturridge is very, very good, but for me he's not at that level yet.  Hard to remember given the way he left and how poor he's been since (and indeed for a season and a half before he left) but Torres at his peak was almost as good as Suarez.  Not quite, but in the conversation anyway.
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #8333 on: August 10, 2014, 03:41:17 pm »
I've always been cautious about mentioning him with Torres, not because Sturridge isn't a great player, but because I thought Torres was absolutely phenomenal.

Honestly though, if he isn't there already, it won't be long more.

31 goals in 43 games. No words required.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8334 on: August 10, 2014, 03:41:38 pm »
1. Wrap him in cotton wool.
2. Give him a pay rise.
3. Make sure he's injured for all international friendlies.
4. Let him use the private jet.

edit you got there before me.

Daniel should be placed in a box of cotton wool after games.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 03:43:46 pm by kavah »

Offline theoldcoyote

• Main Stander
« Reply #8335 on: August 10, 2014, 04:14:22 pm »
Clinical finish today. So calm in front of goal. Gonna bag loads of'em this season.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8336 on: August 10, 2014, 04:27:36 pm »

Woah, woah, woah.

He's getting there but not yet.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8337 on: August 10, 2014, 04:29:30 pm »
He's scored some very important goals too at opportune times winning us the points and against differing levels of competition.  Can score from anywhere, any which way.  We lost the best striker in the league...yet we still have, the best striker in the league.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8338 on: August 10, 2014, 04:33:08 pm »

Torres would have scored even more goals, had he been given some better quality support in attack while at Liverpool. True, he had Gerrard, but Sturridge has had Suarez, Sterling and Coutinho.

But he can be as good as, if not better all round, than Torres was.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #8339 on: August 10, 2014, 04:34:58 pm »
Torres would have scored even more goals, had he been given some better quality support in attack while at Liverpool. True, he had Gerrard, but Sturridge has had Suarez, Sterling and Coutinho.

The person supplying Torres was Gerrard and Gerrard was in his prime.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8340 on: August 10, 2014, 04:35:10 pm »

Torres had Alonso pulling some strings from deep as well.  He was a sublime player with us though.  No doubt.

Offline LFCsupporter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8341 on: August 10, 2014, 04:38:05 pm »
Sturridge is boss.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8342 on: August 10, 2014, 04:38:37 pm »
The person supplying Torres was Gerrard and Gerrard was in his prime.
Suarez in prime vs. Gerrard in prime - both are/were phenomenal. But this side has a more exciting supporting cast in attack.

Anyway, the main point is that Sturridge isn't yet at Torres 2007/2008 level.

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8343 on: August 10, 2014, 04:40:40 pm »
PoP was his run for the goal based off a trigger (because he was on his way well before the ball came to Coutinho)?  Or was that more of an understanding between the two?

One of the keys to our attacking play is the sprints that our forwards make. Suarez had like twice as many sprints last season as any other player and second in the league for sprints was Sturridge. Intelligent movement and intelligent players supplying the passes=101 goals last year. This year I see Jordan Henderson making the same runs as well. With Sterling and Coutinho threading those passes they know they can get goals that way.
"Good to be here, good to be anywhere."  --Keith Richards

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #8344 on: August 10, 2014, 04:45:57 pm »
Well he hasn't had the chance to play the Champions Leauge yet, or play the WC with a proper manager.  It's fairly obvious that Sturridge is a much more well-rounded player than Torres, and from what I recall he might even have a better Goals per minute rate than Torres.  Thus it's only a matter of getting him to the world stage and his ability will settle the matter.

:D
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #8345 on: August 10, 2014, 06:27:28 pm »
Sturridge has a knack of scoring with some really brilliant, unconventional, finishes. It must be a nightmare for keepers and defenders trying to predict how he'll shoot.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline LFC UNTIL THE MANAGER IS NO LONGER DESERVING OF MY SYMPATHY

• Everyone's shit. Especially me...Yeah! LFC for Life. He takes everything up to date and on the chin.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8346 on: August 10, 2014, 06:35:26 pm »
He's brilliant and it is so vital he stays fit (and we get another quality striker) as the drop in quality between him and Lambert is massive.
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8347 on: August 10, 2014, 07:18:51 pm »
Well he hasn't had the chance to play the Champions Leauge yet, or play the WC with a proper manager.  It's fairly obvious that Sturridge is a much more well-rounded player than Torres, and from what I recall he might even have a better Goals per minute rate than Torres.  Thus it's only a matter of getting him to the world stage and his ability will settle the matter.
Goals-per-minute is probably affected by the attackingness of your team, though. Don't get me wrong, Sturridge has the potential to be one of the best strikers in the world if he keeps getting better for a couple more years and gets the experience that you're talking about, but Torres in his first couple of years at Liverpool was fiercely clinical, as a pure goalscorer.

Torres, I think, was an early peaker though, injuries aside. He started playing regular football from such a young age, whereas Sturridge spent a good deal of time on the benches of other English teams, and so in that sense, you can maybe say that Sturridge is only now at the point in his career that Torres was in his first year at Liverpool.

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #8348 on: August 10, 2014, 07:49:31 pm »
Goals-per-minute is probably affected by the attackingness of your team, though. Don't get me wrong, Sturridge has the potential to be one of the best strikers in the world if he keeps getting better for a couple more years and gets the experience that you're talking about, but Torres in his first couple of years at Liverpool was fiercely clinical, as a pure goalscorer.

Torres, I think, was an early peaker though, injuries aside. He started playing regular football from such a young age, whereas Sturridge spent a good deal of time on the benches of other English teams, and so in that sense, you can maybe say that Sturridge is only now at the point in his career that Torres was in his first year at Liverpool.

To be honest, I don't think it is about him peaking early. Torres has had 1 year where he was above the level Sturridge already is at and I think that had more to do with Rafa and the natural partnership he had with Gerrard. Neither at Atletico nor at Chelsea was he seen as a clinical finisher or even prolific goal scorer. In Spain, Villa was always seen as superior to him in that regard.

For me, it's pretty obvious that Sturridge is more of a natural goal scorer and even though his technique appears all over the place at times, he actually finishes ideally where you'd want. I'd already be prepared to call him a better finisher and goal scorer than Torres.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 07:52:22 pm by Halcyon Lissome »
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline El_Pelusa_10

• Kopite
  • Diego Armando Maradona-Greatest Player Of All Time
« Reply #8349 on: August 10, 2014, 08:53:15 pm »
Vastly under rated player. has everything - pace, technique, great first touch and finishing ability,
There was a great moment today when he flicked it up over a BVB player and then scissor actioned a ball over to Sterling. Was unbelievable!

Offline LFC UNTIL THE MANAGER IS NO LONGER DESERVING OF MY SYMPATHY

• Everyone's shit. Especially me...Yeah! LFC for Life. He takes everything up to date and on the chin.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8350 on: August 10, 2014, 08:59:46 pm »
He's basically an English version of Thierry Henry.  He's got the pace, the goal ratio, the tricks and all round game.

His only issue is staying fit for a whole season and that is why we need cover.
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8351 on: August 10, 2014, 11:44:43 pm »
Yeah, I remember making a post about that after the Stoke game:

Stanley Matthews wrote in his autobiography about his understanding with Stan Mortensen.  When he got around a full back to the goal line, he would pull the ball back to a specific place every time, and Mortensen just had to make sure he was there.

One moment of it working similarly yesterday I thought was when Coutinho played Sturridge through in the second half and Danny shot from a tight angle to make Begovic save. Sturridge drew his marker in closer to midfield to create space in behind that will still be "onside space". Then he span in behind just as the ball left Gerrard's foot to Coutinho.

Yep. Before Coutinho had even processed what was going on behind him, before he had even turned, before he had even received the ball, Sturridge was off and knew he was in. He knew he was in because he knows Coutinho almost inside-out already. He knows that Phil knows there's space to turn, because Cou is smart and aware and he also knows that he has the ability to weight the pass to him perfectly and do so quickly.

To me, this is real game intelligence: a natural understanding of your own, your team mate's and your opponent's strengths and weaknesses and how to move and act to get the edge on those things. Yes, you get better at these things with experience but really, especially since the two players we are talking about here are 21 and 23, I see the majority of it coming from a natural appreciation for space, angles, timing and problem solving. Football IQ. And I am definitely approving of us stocking up on footballers like these.

Had a screen shot showing Gerarrd passing the ball to Coutinho and Sturridge was already setting off on his run in behind.

EDIT: Oops, wrong thread. Coutinho thread.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline ConqueredAllOfEurope

• Shit, just realised I can have a custom title...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8353 on: August 11, 2014, 02:35:35 am »
http://www.complexmag.ca/sports/2014/08/daniel-sturridge-liverpool-interview-drake-kanye-balmain-jeans

Haha came here just to post this.

Great to have more insight as to who Sturridge is as a person. I like how he sets himself high standards.
"We have to change from doubter to believer... now"

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8354 on: August 11, 2014, 11:39:10 am »
So was that a cheeky "Sorry mate I just got a touch on it" line after Lovren scored yesterday?  Made me laugh anyway.

Offline TheBazz

• tardzz keepz deleting my poztzzzzzz! Blazzphemy! Blazzpheryou! Blazzphereverybody on the forumzzzzzz!
  • Kopite
  • It's the Bazz!
« Reply #8355 on: August 11, 2014, 01:58:29 pm »

Jesus christ..
@KevinHenshaw1 (not the professional wakeboarder).

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8356 on: August 11, 2014, 03:57:11 pm »

Jesus christ..

The lad has a shockingly bad dress sense, though as far as Im concerned, he can wear taped together bin bags decorated with shite, as long as he keeps scoring.  ;D

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #8357 on: August 11, 2014, 04:44:18 pm »

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #8358 on: August 11, 2014, 05:55:52 pm »
He just took the costume off

Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline TheFlyingScouseman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice day
« Reply #8359 on: August 14, 2014, 04:42:06 pm »
The amount of hell this has caused on Twitter, especially since we are still in the transfer window. Did he do this with good intensions :lmao :lmao