Author Topic: Daniel Andre Sturridge  (Read 1162272 times)

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
Re: Daniel Andre Sturridge
« Reply #8280 on: August 6, 2014, 10:47:08 am »
If Daniel is ready for this weekend, is it worth risking him with league starting next week?

Online peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8281 on: August 6, 2014, 10:51:48 am »
We wouldn't be fucked. We've got good enough attacking mids nowadays that we it wouldn't cripple us. However, it is important that if we want to make the best possible attempt at the league, we do get another striker in.

None of them are Lampard or Gerrard in their pomp. None will score many goals. Without Sturridge in our side we lack any kind of firepower.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8282 on: August 6, 2014, 11:19:39 am »
None of them are Lampard or Gerrard in their pomp. None will score many goals. Without Sturridge in our side we lack any kind of firepower.

To be fair, Lambert got his fair share of goals at Southampton.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8283 on: August 6, 2014, 11:20:21 am »

Sterling.

Offline Tomo!

• Shit post editor! Will be giving his wife one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8284 on: August 6, 2014, 11:54:37 am »
Agreed.

So this other striker; presumably, he is a back up.

The idea of the back up is they slot in and perform a lot of the key functions. TAW made the point that buying for this Liverpool side is very difficult since we play at a pace which is beyond the majority of footballers.

Do we subsequently build our attacking patterns around a rare type of player who rarely plays, or a Bony who is more common and less injury prone?

I keep banging on about this but I honestly think we're going to have to adapt how we play next season regardless of who we get in.
Teams are going to be reluctant to give us space to run into, think both Wenger and Martinez both used the word naive to sum up there performances against us at Anfield.
We've got bags of pace and technical ability, think the physical presence of the likes of Lambert and possibly Bony could compliment Danny.
Google messi topless on holiday. Now look at david silva, villa, iniesta, xavi, they have the upper bodies of little boys.

Offline Garcepticon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8285 on: August 6, 2014, 01:47:49 pm »
I keep banging on about this but I honestly think we're going to have to adapt how we play next season regardless of who we get in.
Teams are going to be reluctant to give us space to run into, think both Wenger and Martinez both used the word naive to sum up there performances against us at Anfield.
We've got bags of pace and technical ability, think the physical presence of the likes of Lambert and possibly Bony could compliment Danny.

Agreed, looking back my use of 'rarely plays' is a nonsense.

Offline spinaltapped

• Flesh tuxedo?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Rico Suavez
« Reply #8286 on: August 6, 2014, 08:18:35 pm »
Lallana is about a 1/4 scorer if he keeps his form from last season going.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #8287 on: August 8, 2014, 05:51:19 am »
If Daniel is ready for this weekend, is it worth risking him with league starting next week?

Definitely. He's had half a match of pre-season so far.

If playing our first choice forward in the last friendly before the season kicks off is too big a risk, we've got some serious problems.

Offline Arcadian

• Makes pissed even when sense!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Be the change you want to see in the world...
« Reply #8288 on: August 8, 2014, 06:00:55 am »
Daniel's fitness has to be one of our primary concerns surely? He needs to be living in ice baths and rehab.

Bollocks, it's making me nervous just thinking about him blowing a hammy, which he seems to do twice a year.
*                         *                           *                            *                         *

Offline THE7KING

• Main Stander
« Reply #8289 on: August 8, 2014, 03:07:11 pm »
Does anyone know if Daniel trained today?

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8290 on: August 8, 2014, 03:12:07 pm »
Does anyone know if Daniel trained today?

He did

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8291 on: August 8, 2014, 03:16:09 pm »
Daniel's fitness has to be one of our primary concerns surely? He needs to be living in ice baths and rehab.

Bollocks, it's making me nervous just thinking about him blowing a hammy, which he seems to do twice a year.

He's played in 80% of the games he possibly could of for us since signing, so certainly hasn't 'blown a hammy' 3 times in his 18 months here.

Offline Arcadian

• Makes pissed even when sense!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Be the change you want to see in the world...
« Reply #8292 on: August 8, 2014, 07:26:06 pm »
He's played in 80% of the games he possibly could of for us since signing, so certainly hasn't 'blown a hammy' 3 times in his 18 months here.

You're not carrying the 1 mate.
*                         *                           *                            *                         *

Online peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8293 on: August 8, 2014, 07:30:46 pm »

Last season he didn't start 12 PL games. In a season without Europe or a decent cup run he didn't start almost a third of our league games. Now he's obviously not getting seriously injured but surely there has to be a concern about those missed games especially if he's going to be our #1 striker and not #2.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8294 on: August 8, 2014, 07:35:04 pm »
Last season he didn't start 12 PL games. In a season without Europe or a decent cup run he didn't start almost a third of our league games. Now he's obviously not getting seriously injured but surely there has to be a concern about those missed games especially if he's going to be our #1 striker and not #2.

You can't presume he was injured just because he didn't start, as there were a good handful of games he was fit and Rodgers didn't start him. I've detailed how I came about the 80% in this thread a week or so back and it's accurate.

I agree there is a concern, but I think it's only fair the real number is mentioned when people post exaggerated statements regarding his fitness.

Online peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8295 on: August 8, 2014, 07:40:39 pm »
You can't presume he was injured just because he didn't start, as there were a good handful of games he was fit and Rodgers didn't start him. I've detailed how I came about the 80% in this thread a week or so back and it's accurate.

I don't think there was. There were 3 league games that he didn't start because he was coming back from injury so only got some minutes off the bench. But he was never left out for tactical reasons. It was always fitness.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8296 on: August 8, 2014, 07:46:01 pm »
I don't think there was. There were 3 league games that he didn't start because he was coming back from injury so only got some minutes off the bench. But he was never left out for tactical reasons. It was always fitness.

to be honest without going through the fixtures (I haven't the time now) I couldn't tell you either way.

Fact is he was fit enough to play a part in 80% of the games.

I won't argue we also need another top forward bringing in, we do, however some seem to be posting comments as if he misses half the games in a season when he doesn't.

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8297 on: August 8, 2014, 08:00:30 pm »
Also the off games he tends to have when he was coming back from injury, or those constant little niggles he picks up. Unless he's 100% fit he does tend to lack that sharpness and extra bit of top end pace. My worry is if we don't get another striker then he'll probably be getting hurried back alot more than he was when Suarez was about.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #8298 on: August 8, 2014, 08:15:44 pm »
Also the off games he tends to have when he was coming back from injury, or those constant little niggles he picks up. Unless he's 100% fit he does tend to lack that sharpness and extra bit of top end pace. My worry is if we don't get another striker then he'll probably be getting hurried back alot more than he was when Suarez was about.

He had niggles and injuries in pre-season last year too, only playing 45 minutes before the season started. Yet that didn't stop him scoring in every game until Suarez came back. He also scored immediately after returning from niggling injuries at Goodison as well as at Stoke, which suggests he's not someone who takes a while to get going after injuries. No reason to worry.

And round and round and round and round and round
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Red Bird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8299 on: August 8, 2014, 10:09:39 pm »
There was the time when he and Hodgson insisted on his playing an entire 90 minutes while carrying an injury, aggravating it.

Offline THE7KING

• Main Stander
« Reply #8300 on: August 8, 2014, 10:23:39 pm »
The thing with Studge is if he stayed fit(like Suarez) all season I think he would score more than Suarez and that's the big thing for us this season. We all know that his a goal machine and I would just love for him to stay fit and smash the premier league goal scoring record just to shut other fans, media, etc up.

If Studge stays fit and scores the goals we know he can we will be there and about in May in both League and Champions League.

Maybe Daniel should start drinking that Uruguayan tea that Luis drunk

Offline LFC_Verve

• Kopite
« Reply #8301 on: August 9, 2014, 12:59:11 am »
The reason Luis never got injured was because he was bulky (not in a fat way) and knew how to take a challenge. Daniel relies a lot on speed, thus why he's more injury prone.

Offline acezz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8302 on: August 9, 2014, 01:12:01 am »

Scored vs Everton.
Scored and assisted vs Stoke.
Definitely has off games when returning from injury.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8303 on: August 9, 2014, 02:13:18 am »
Sturridge had an injury last pre-season and came back for the last pre-season friendly against Celtic on the 10th of August, at Anfield. Scored in our first 3 games. 4 including the League Cup.

Should be back for the game tomorrow. Hopefully history will similarly repeat itself the weeks after.

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #8304 on: August 9, 2014, 03:12:32 am »
I would rest sturridge instead of risking it. He's basically our only quality forward going into the new season.
Seen us win everything

Offline MidwestWool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wool
« Reply #8305 on: August 9, 2014, 05:07:37 am »

He was injured last because the owl-faced c*nt wanted to "test his commitment" while he was carrying a niggle, which aggravated his injury and caused him to be out for long.

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8306 on: August 9, 2014, 05:16:38 am »
He was injured last because the owl-faced c*nt wanted to "test his commitment" while he was carrying a niggle, which aggravated his injury and caused him to be out for long.

whilst this may be true, it may well also be a red herring....regardless, he is a player who possesses great speed and speed off the mark.....and it is not unusual for such players to pick up strains and pulls.....and he has over the last season and a half picked up a few minor injuries that have restricted his availability....we are going to face greater physical tests this season, and we want to be covering all bases, and that means providing first class cover, support and competition for sturridge, something we had last season and was a massive strength we currently do not have, although we have tried to provide better strength in support elsewhere to reduce our reliance on a potent front 2
Joey's ate the frogs legs, made the swiss roll, now he's munchin' gladbach!!

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8307 on: August 9, 2014, 08:00:32 am »
To make the prediciton of Fowler come true he needs a better shooting technique..
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8308 on: August 9, 2014, 12:39:55 pm »
The reason Luis never got injured was because he was bulky (not in a fat way) and knew how to take a challenge. Daniel relies a lot on speed, thus why he's more injury prone.
Plenty of players have relied on speed and managed to stay healthy. There probably is an underlying reason but it won't be as cut and dry as that.

Offline iVapor

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8309 on: August 9, 2014, 01:16:32 pm »
Plenty of players have relied on speed and managed to stay healthy. There probably is an underlying reason but it won't be as cut and dry as that.

Yeah, faster players do tend to have hamstring issued though.
 But Sturridge last season proved he can stay fit, even if he wasn't fully fit for some games he can tailor himself.. (remember the game where he didn't even shoot with his feet then scored a header...)

Offline Samee

• الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا &#
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8310 on: August 9, 2014, 01:19:32 pm »
Watched his little hip hop quiz with Ibe yesterday. This lad is infectious.
@Samee
In Leicester?
if city win the CL or the prem league in the next 3 years, I'll eat my own poo.

Offline Chig

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #8311 on: August 9, 2014, 03:11:07 pm »
More powerful runners do have higher risk of getting hamstring injuries. Hamstring act as the control muscle while running, they help stabilise our hips and legs during acceleration. Therefore, they more power your quad generate, the more pressure your hamstring get put under. The only way trainers counter this issue is by strengthen players hamstring eccentric contraction ability (both strength and endurance).

Eccentric contraction (Got this from wiki) -  the muscle elongates while under tension due to an opposing force greater than the muscle generates. Rather than working to pull a joint in the direction of the muscle contraction, the muscle acts to decelerate the joint at the end of a movement or otherwise control the repositioning of a load.
KD7 SG8 RF9 JB10

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8312 on: August 9, 2014, 06:08:42 pm »
Sensible not to risk him tomorrow with the league kicking off next week.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #8313 on: August 9, 2014, 11:46:39 pm »
The thing with Studge is if he stayed fit(like Suarez) all season I think he would score more than Suarez and that's the big thing for us this season. We all know that his a goal machine and I would just love for him to stay fit and smash the premier league goal scoring record just to shut other fans, media, etc up.

Suarez might have stayed fit, but he missed games for very stupid reasons.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Red Eyed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8314 on: August 10, 2014, 12:26:51 am »
Suarez might have stayed fit, but he missed games for very stupid reasons.

Suarez was literally more likely to miss a game due to biting someone than because of injury.
"Just try, if we can do it, wonderful and if not, then fail in the most beautiful way"

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #8315 on: August 10, 2014, 12:51:14 am »
Regardless of Dan's relationship with the treatment table (arguable whether it is a thing or not at all), I'll be very nervous if we don't land another classy striker before September. Suarez missed games with regular lengthy bans, but otherwise he was a complete freak who could be relied upon step up almost all of the time, and not tire or break down easily whatever the circumstances, despite gettng battered constantly.

I think it might be a big culture shock now without the SaS available, and I'm anxious we don't return to the days of creating shitloads but not converting anywhere near enough. I think Danny will thrive on the added responsibility, but I will be able to relax if we can properly spread the load again (and I do expect all of Sterling, Markovic, and to a lesser enxtent Lambert to chip in, but nothing's certain).
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #8316 on: August 10, 2014, 01:03:15 am »
More powerful runners do have higher risk of getting hamstring injuries. Hamstring act as the control muscle while running, they help stabilise our hips and legs during acceleration. Therefore, they more power your quad generate, the more pressure your hamstring get put under. The only way trainers counter this issue is by strengthen players hamstring eccentric contraction ability (both strength and endurance).

Eccentric contraction (Got this from wiki) -  the muscle elongates while under tension due to an opposing force greater than the muscle generates. Rather than working to pull a joint in the direction of the muscle contraction, the muscle acts to decelerate the joint at the end of a movement or otherwise control the repositioning of a load.

Good post. Quad/Hamstring imbalance is also a factor in ACL injuries. Something I hope the medical and conditioning staff are watching over with Sturridge.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Chig

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #8317 on: August 10, 2014, 05:47:17 am »
Good post. Quad/Hamstring imbalance is also a factor in ACL injuries. Something I hope the medical and conditioning staff are watching over with Sturridge.

Maybe we need to send all our fast players to play touch footies once a week. It has extensive research in Australia proven that it helps minimise hamstring injuries as backward running help condition hamstring more effectively than anything out there lol.
KD7 SG8 RF9 JB10

Offline pudgethemidget

• Kopite
« Reply #8318 on: August 10, 2014, 06:04:52 am »
Nah, not true. The injury Hodgson referred to was different than the one that kept Daniel out, if I remember correctly. Think it was just a maddening coincidence at the time.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #8319 on: August 10, 2014, 06:09:22 am »
Maybe we need to send all our fast players to play touch footies once a week. It has extensive research in Australia proven that it helps minimise hamstring injuries as backward running help condition hamstring more effectively than anything out there lol.

What's "touch footies"? Is it Aussie Rules football without the tackling?
Better looking than Samie.