Author Topic: Andy Robertson (Andrew Henry Robertson MBE)  (Read 801487 times)

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Andy Robertson (Andrew Henry Robertson MBE)
« Reply #6480 on: February 11, 2024, 07:46:11 am »
excellent 2nd half from him against Burnley

He does struggle with his lick up with Diaz though i feel

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6481 on: February 11, 2024, 04:31:05 pm »
excellent 2nd half from him against Burnley

He does struggle with his lick up with Diaz though i feel
steady!!

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #6482 on: February 11, 2024, 04:41:05 pm »
Robertson is one of my biggest concerns in the current squad.

Absolute club legend, goes without saying, but his technical deficiencies and lack of understanding of how to occupy space in tandem with Diaz - a shared problem of over a year old - is an issue. He’s dangerously one-footed and I don’t think the profile of fullback he is quite works if you’re inverting from the other side and expecting a winger to maintain width in the space that Robertson would typically bomb onto - if he was technically better, he could exploit teams inside but that’s not his game.

It’s always been felt he’d be the victim of the shape change and it’s proving to be so. He still has value and I think will stay as a squad option, but I do feel he’s someone that won’t be looked at as a given piece of the puzzle by the new manager.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #6483 on: February 11, 2024, 04:45:09 pm »

Absolute club legend, goes without saying, but his technical deficiencies and lack of understanding of how to occupy space in tandem with Diaz - a shared problem of over a year old - is an issue. He’s dangerously one-footed and I don’t think the profile of fullback he is quite works if you’re inverting from the other side and expecting a winger to maintain width in the space that Robertson would typically bomb onto - if he was technically better, he could exploit teams inside but that’s not his game.

It’s always been felt he’d be the victim of the shape change and it’s proving to be so. He still has value and I think will stay as a squad option, but I do feel he’s someone that won’t be looked at as a given piece of the puzzle by the new manager.

He's only 2 games back and was pretty good yesterday. Don't see where this is coming from at all. He underlaps and overlaps with Lucho as needed and he did provide a few brilliant chances. There's bits where the final ball was just a bit off but the idea was right. It's just rustiness and it'll come with some rhythm and regular minutes. He is absolutely not a concern.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6484 on: February 11, 2024, 04:52:00 pm »

Never understood the techincal stuff regarding Robbo and no one ever elaborates or gives examples, what exactly in his game suggests he’s lacking in technical ability?

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6485 on: February 11, 2024, 06:11:13 pm »
Never understood the techincal stuff regarding Robbo and no one ever elaborates or gives examples, what exactly in his game suggests he’s lacking in technical ability?

He's very one footed and his passing isn't always brilliant.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6486 on: February 11, 2024, 06:20:51 pm »
amazing how left footers often get accused of being one-footed but right-footers never do.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6487 on: February 11, 2024, 06:29:30 pm »
amazing how left footers often get accused of being one-footed but right-footers never do.

Yeah that could well be fair.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6488 on: February 11, 2024, 06:35:28 pm »

Most pro footballers are very one footed but it’s only levelled at certain players, just dont get the technical ability stuff, actually think it’s nonsense, he has his flaws but the guy had the assist record for a defender till recently.

Funnily enough this lack of technical ability stuff was never really mentioned while we were winning the lot.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #6489 on: February 11, 2024, 06:44:46 pm »
Accusing someone of being ‘one footed’ is very cliched and almost always aimed at left footed players.

"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6490 on: February 11, 2024, 06:45:08 pm »
Most pro footballers are very one footed but it’s only levelled at certain players, just dont get the technical ability stuff, actually think it’s nonsense, he has his flaws but the guy had the assist record for a defender till recently.

Funnily enough this lack of technical ability stuff was never really mentioned while we were winning the lot.
I remember saying that Kostas is better than him on a technical level in terms of touch, passing and having a weaker foot.

Not every player has to be the best technically. IMO, Robbo's explosiveness elevates him. People might quote assists but when our back 4 is being pressed, he's the least comfortable.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 06:49:42 pm by MonsLibpool »

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #6491 on: February 11, 2024, 06:47:11 pm »

Yeah, I think its weird. 53 assists in 206 PL games is crazy good, and requires a lot of skill.
Hes levels above Gomez.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6492 on: February 11, 2024, 07:09:36 pm »
Yeah, I think its weird. 53 assists in 206 PL games is crazy good, and requires a lot of skill.
Hes levels above Gomez.
A footballer is about the total package. It's possible to be a top player whilst not being the best technically.

A good example is Mane. He was world class but on a technical level, he didn't have the same guile as an Eden Hazard or an Alexis Sanchez. Heck, even Lusi Diaz but that doesn't make Lucho a better player. Why? Because Mane had a better package.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 07:16:26 pm by MonsLibpool »

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6493 on: February 11, 2024, 07:23:22 pm »
Why? Because Mane had a better package.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #6494 on: February 11, 2024, 07:33:42 pm »
He's only 2 games back and was pretty good yesterday. Don't see where this is coming from at all. He underlaps and overlaps with Lucho as needed and he did provide a few brilliant chances. There's bits where the final ball was just a bit off but the idea was right. It's just rustiness and it'll come with some rhythm and regular minutes. He is absolutely not a concern.
I probably didn’t elaborate enough in the post but Robertson has concerned me for the last 18 months, it’s not a reaction to how he played yesterday. He’s been very inconsistent for some time and whilst he’s not an absolute disaster by any means, I don’t see him being an effective part of a new look side in a year’s time.

He always, always checks onto his left. His right is for standing only. He also has a limited technical range in how he passes, meaning he takes a long time to align himself for a pass if the ball isn’t moved to him optimally. Look at how another left footer like Salah is able to address the ball with his stronger foot in multiple ways, to still create angles and not have to slow down the play or check back. Robertson doesn’t have that. Now I know it’s not the fairest comparison but it’s more by means of illustration. He’s not a good passer, is a reasonable crosser and his set pieces are so-so.

Robertson’s strengths have always been tenacity, pace and boundless energy. Unfortunately, 2 of those skills tend to decline with age and if you didn’t have the technical or defensive chops to begin with, it can be pretty glaring.

I’m not looking to get into an argument with anyone about Robbo; he’s truly a club legend and there was a few years where he was in the top 3 left backs in the world. Whether it’s time, whether it’s injury, or whether it’s being asked to press and harry like a maniac whilst covering mega-miles in a demanding Klopp system for half a decade, I’m strongly of the opinion that if we have to rely on him heavily over the next 18 months, it’s not going to go well.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #6495 on: February 11, 2024, 09:47:28 pm »
A footballer is about the total package. It's possible to be a top player whilst not being the best technically.

A good example is Mane. He was world class but on a technical level, he didn't have the same guile as an Eden Hazard or an Alexis Sanchez. Heck, even Lusi Diaz but that doesn't make Lucho a better player. Why? Because Mane had a better package.
Whatever your semantics he has enough skills to break records. Thats good enough for us
Of course his physique might decline with age, but not his technique

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #6496 on: February 11, 2024, 09:48:22 pm »

He’s terrible in a rondo according to the ox, that’s about it 😂
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6497 on: February 11, 2024, 09:51:50 pm »
Whatever your semantics he has enough skills to break records. Thats good enough for us
Of course his physique might decline with age, but not his technique
His physical attributes elevate him just like Mane.  He'll be a lot less effective as he declines physically.

We sold the Mane at the right time as his post-LFC career shows.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #6498 on: February 11, 2024, 10:30:41 pm »
He is only 29, soon to be 30, I wouldn’t worry just yet, even if he begins to decline, I’d still keep him for another 3-4 years. If we’re to sell anyone it would be Kostas for me. Decent enough back up but if we’re worried about any potential Robbo decline, the move would be to play him less and find a better deputy/competition with more potential as a starter than Kostas.

I’ve not been that worried by Robbo. He struggled a bit last season but who didn’t? Then he’s basically missed most of this season and the chance to elevate his form with the new lads. The extended break should have done him the world of good. I know it was a bit of a cheap sting piece by Simon Hughes regarding our medical department, but I do recall some of the numbers around Robbo’s minutes (including Scotland) being really worrying, he’s close to turning 30, but plenty of full backs play into their 30s, I’m sure Robbo will too, just maybe not 3 games a week at full tilt.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 10:32:17 pm by Garlic Red »

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6499 on: February 11, 2024, 10:37:33 pm »
I probably didn’t elaborate enough in the post but Robertson has concerned me for the last 18 months, it’s not a reaction to how he played yesterday. He’s been very inconsistent for some time and whilst he’s not an absolute disaster by any means, I don’t see him being an effective part of a new look side in a year’s time.
He always, always checks onto his left. His right is for standing only. He also has a limited technical range in how he passes, meaning he takes a long time to align himself for a pass if the ball isn’t moved to him optimally. Look at how another left footer like Salah is able to address the ball with his stronger foot in multiple ways, to still create angles and not have to slow down the play or check back. Robertson doesn’t have that. Now I know it’s not the fairest comparison but it’s more by means of illustration. He’s not a good passer, is a reasonable crosser and his set pieces are so-so.

Robertson’s strengths have always been tenacity, pace and boundless energy. Unfortunately, 2 of those skills tend to decline with age and if you didn’t have the technical or defensive chops to begin with, it can be pretty glaring.

I’m not looking to get into an argument with anyone about Robbo; he’s truly a club legend and there was a few years where he was in the top 3 left backs in the world. Whether it’s time, whether it’s injury, or whether it’s being asked to press and harry like a maniac whilst covering mega-miles in a demanding Klopp system for half a decade, I’m strongly of the opinion that if we have to rely on him heavily over the next 18 months, it’s not going to go well.

Footballs gotta be the most bizarre sport ever.

'He’s not a good passer, is a reasonable crosser and his set pieces are so-so.'

This stuff LITERALLY has him one behind 'generational talent, one of the best passers of a ball in world football' Trent Alexander Arnold for assists

He's not at the same level but fuck me the disrespect Robbo gets despite clear evidence of his ability is rather wild in my opinion. I'd never say he's the best player we have in terms of technical ability but he's also nowhere near as bad as is made out, you simply cannot put up those kinds of numbers while being so poor on the ball, it so so rarely happens.

There's such a huge amount of great deliveries for assists and it's not even like he's spent years stat padding with goals being scored from him playing a 5 yard pass followed by a teammate going on a mazy run to score a worldie. He could absolutely be better in areas but the numbers dont lie
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 10:40:43 pm by RyanBabel19 »

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6500 on: February 12, 2024, 02:41:52 am »
He’s terrible in a rondo according to the ox, that’s about it 😂

Thats probably adds credence to him not being one of our most technically gifted players though to be honest, you wouldn't find a player of a high high level technically who was terrible in a rondo ;D

Overall i think he can be underrated technically sometimes, in the past he has caught me by surprise with his passing, i don't think he is anymore technical than Tsimikas for example, but he definitely isn't average in that department.

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6501 on: February 12, 2024, 06:59:05 am »
Accusing someone of being ‘one footed’ is very cliched and almost always aimed at left footed players.
I've often aimed it at right-footed players, but then I'm a leftie.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6502 on: February 12, 2024, 07:07:10 am »

He basically been 80 if not 90 percentile progressive passer his whole time at Liverpool.
I still have concerns with him going into age 30 season and I think he the biggest question over the summer right now for me.

Offline jepovic

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #6503 on: February 12, 2024, 07:25:44 am »
His physical attributes elevate him just like Mane.  He'll be a lot less effective as he declines physically.

We sold the Mane at the right time as his post-LFC career shows.
I think its too early with Robbo, but his physical decline is at least a discussion that can be had.

Calling someone who has broken assist records "not a good passer, a reasonable crosser" is just ridiculous.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6504 on: February 12, 2024, 07:49:22 am »
I don't think it's a stretch to look at Robbo and ask if he suits how we now play, he was the best left in the world as a left back for a prolonged period but asking him to play as a 3rd center back and create passing lanes and options really doesn't suit him. He should be a white lines up and down player, as that plays to his strengths and doesn't expose his weaknesses.

Always the black and white nature of debate, a player can be technically good at some things like Robbo is an exceptional crosser of the ball when moving, yet pretty average when stationary.. Its publically documented he spent a year practicing corners as he struggled. That's why he doesn't suit being asked to create small intricate passing triangles as when he comes in field as he struggles to pass to his right in most scenarios, again this isn't slander it's just the player he is and was consistently last season a problem as he lost posession a lot, when crowded out he'd just punt it down the line and we'd lose it with him out of position.

I think if Alonso did come in he'd be brilliant as a left wingback, the whole need to score thing is a red herring, he'd be crossing to Nunez whose great with his head.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6505 on: February 12, 2024, 09:46:04 am »
Robertson for sure showing signs of slowing down.
Adringra caused him all sorts of problems earlier in the season vs Brighton was apparent Robertson physical attributes have started to decline.
Still a good player but past his peak
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 09:48:01 am by MD1990 »

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6506 on: February 12, 2024, 11:19:00 am »
Robertson for sure showing signs of slowing down.
Adringra caused him all sorts of problems earlier in the season vs Brighton was apparent Robertson physical attributes have started to decline.
Still a good player but past his peak
Adingra was burning past Ola Aina almost every time he got the ball in the AFCON final.  Aina's certainly no slouch!  Maybe Adingra's just a skilful and very pacy winger.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #6507 on: February 12, 2024, 11:29:25 am »

Definitely lazy, but presumably largely just due to the fact that there being fewer left-footers means their 'footedness' is more readily identified as a characteristic.

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6508 on: February 12, 2024, 11:31:05 am »
Adingra was burning past Ola Aina almost every time he got the ball in the AFCON final.  Aina's certainly no slouch!  Maybe Adingra's just a skilful and very pacy winger.

There's going to be an adjustment period as players starts to slow down a little and they haven't got the same elastic snap responses in their muscles and tendons. Clever players like Andy learn to drop off a little more, and employ more of the dark arts. Lee Dixon and Winterburn at Arsenal carried on well into their thirties. Bob Paisley said "“At the highest level the first two yards are in your head.”

Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6509 on: February 12, 2024, 01:03:31 pm »
I think the points made above about his not being an automatic starter under a new coach are valid.

I’d say his technique in some areas is very good, and, in others, limited. A player like that should be played to his strengths. The physical decline I think is real. Full backs who bomb up and down the flank  usually age sooner than CBs.

What others are not considering—out of their understandable loyalty to our best LB in the 23 years I’ve been watching—is that, despite our back line consisting of basically the same players since 2018, our defence is not the imperious thing it once was. You can mention the midfield offering less protection etc., but we also see more defence screwups. Why is this? I imagine it is at least partly because some of them  are ageing together (VVD, Matip, Robertson). That little one yard gap that opens up because a player hasn’t got the same stamina as before can be enough to take you from the number one best defence in the world to just one of the best defences in the domestic league.

Right now, Robertson is okay, but looking a year or two ahead, it would be smart to bring in a top class understudy/upgrade to share his gameload and rival him, ready to take over in the near future. It would probably help prolong Robertson’s highest level career and give him competition.

Nothing wrong with saying that: amongst the oldies, only Salah, Van dijk and Alisson are so good that you shouldnt be looking to phase them out in the medium term, but rather hold onto them for as long as they want to be here unless something crazy happens.

Standards at Liverpool are super-high now.

Offline Air Jota

• Main Stander
« Reply #6510 on: February 12, 2024, 01:09:36 pm »
He can still contribute and do well for us, and I dont think replacing him is our biggest or top issue under a new manager. However, it probably wouldnt hurt to find the next Robbo sooner rather than later

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6511 on: February 12, 2024, 01:26:54 pm »
He can still contribute and do well for us, and I dont think replacing him is our biggest or top issue under a new manager. However, it probably wouldnt hurt to find the next Robbo sooner rather than later
Yeah

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #6512 on: February 12, 2024, 01:34:57 pm »
What others are not considering—out of their understandable loyalty to our best LB in the 23 years I’ve been watching—is that, despite our back line consisting of basically the same players since 2018, our defence is not the imperious thing it once was. You can mention the midfield offering less protection etc., but we also see more defence screwups. Why is this? I imagine it is at least partly because some of them  are ageing together (VVD, Matip, Robertson). That little one yard gap that opens up because a player hasn’t got the same stamina as before can be enough to take you from the number one best defence in the world to just one of the best defences in the domestic league.
I disagree, with age should come experience, which brings better positioning, not worse. You learn to work smarter, not harder.

You’ve kind of belittled the contribution of the midfield, but surely that’s the key factor in why we’re making individual errors at the back now. When our defence was at it’s best we had three midfielders sitting in front of them protecting them. This meant our defenders had less to do, less to do means fewer decisions to make which lowers the chances of making a mistake (choosing the wrong decision). In an attempt to be more expansive, we’re now playing with a single defensive midfielder and we’re asking our defenders to do a lot more work and make a lot more decisions. This increases the chances of choosing the wrong option.

The Arsenal second goal is a good example of this wehere VVD makes the wrong decsion to let the ball bounce.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 01:48:33 pm by Funky_Gibbons »
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6513 on: February 12, 2024, 01:42:57 pm »
What others are not considering—out of their understandable loyalty to our best LB in the 23 years I’ve been watching—is that, despite our back line consisting of basically the same players since 2018, our defence is not the imperious thing it once was. You can mention the midfield offering less protection etc., but we also see more defence screwups.

can you let me know what defensive screwups have involved Robbo being in physical decline?

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6514 on: February 12, 2024, 02:25:58 pm »
He is quite one-footed but for his job in the team I don't think it's ever been an issue, he's typically hugging the edge of the pitch so he can play the majority of passes with his left foot just fine. Sometimes it looks a bit awkward and there's probably the odd moment where it'd be nice if he was more comfortable with his right, but it's not a big deal at all.

I do think we should be looking at another left back soon, someone with pace and strength who can fly past players and get to the byline, but that would be so we can rotate the two of them for a few seasons and get the best of both, rather than Andy burning out midway through each season.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6515 on: February 12, 2024, 02:47:03 pm »
I don’t really see this physical decline with Robbo that people keep talking about.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6516 on: February 12, 2024, 02:48:57 pm »
I don’t really see this physical decline with Robbo that people keep talking about.

He was fucked last season but that was because he played insane minutes for club and country over the years, he's now just had a huge break so should be fully refreshed.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6517 on: February 12, 2024, 03:44:17 pm »
He was fucked last season but that was because he played insane minutes for club and country over the years, he's now just had a huge break so should be fully refreshed.
absolutely.
but even last season I can't recall a defensive screwup that was caused by him not doing his job?  maybe I'm forgetting ....

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6518 on: February 12, 2024, 03:55:18 pm »
absolutely.
but even last season I can't recall a defensive screwup that was caused by him not doing his job?  maybe I'm forgetting ....

Depends how you'd see a defensive screwup, he was part of multiple occasions last season where we lost the ball up field and we got counter attacked, but that was collective failings, hard to pin it on Robbo.

It's rare we see him make the defensive mistakes like Trent which lead to direct chances, Robbo has always been a very tenacious and aggressive defender.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6519 on: February 12, 2024, 10:50:50 pm »
absolutely.
He been deeper then Virgil on chances or goals over the last 2 years. You should not be deeper then your CB as a Full back for holding the line.