Author Topic: Greatest Liverpool XI - School Project  (Read 3073 times)

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
Re: Greatest Liverpool XI - School Project
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2020, 01:29:01 AM »
This has been done loads of times so I'll merge it in a couple of weeks. Meanwhile I protest that both Riise and Kuyt should even be considered given our glorious list of greats.
indeed, particularly from a list that's missing Terry Mac and Ray Kennedy to name but two
Im in the nude in the garden rubbing marmite on myself,and i fucking hate marmite.
http://www.twitter.com/shelts_lfc

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2020, 01:34:59 AM »
Ok , know this young reds, Terry McDermott would waltz into any Liverpool team from any era. Thanks.
https://youtu.be/CRMJT187wxs
Im in the nude in the garden rubbing marmite on myself,and i fucking hate marmite.
http://www.twitter.com/shelts_lfc

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2020, 12:06:08 AM »
Having seen them all week in week out since the late '50's, I'm afraid I'll have to pass on any attempt to name a best ever eleven. The magnificence of so many of the current team has made what has for many years been a hugely difficult task into one which is now impossible.

For crying out loud, every position now has at least three or four contenders with scarcely a feeler gauge between them in terms of quality.

What I will say, however, is that as far as I'm concerned no LFC best ever team - and I mean no best ever LFC selection whatsoever - can ever NOT have within its ranks three four players - namely Tommy Smith, Steven Gerrard and Kenny Dalglish and Rushie [how the fuck did I leave him out].

So apologies to your son but I'm afraid the incredible quality of so many of Kloppie's current team has well and truly fucked up the credibility of any selection process. But good luck to your lad in his task. One thing's for sure - whichever team he picks would win everything going, so he cannot possibly go wrong!!

;D
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:08:59 PM by Timbo's Goals »

Offline Redwhiteandnotblue

• God's spin doctor.
  • Believer
« Reply #83 on: Yesterday at 12:45:07 AM »
                           Becker

Alexander Arnold Hansen Van Dijk Hughes(c)
                                  Henderson
                                    Alonso
                      Gerrard Dalglish Barnes
                                     Rush
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:46:38 AM by Redwhiteandnotblue »

Offline Linudden

• Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #84 on: Yesterday at 01:11:56 AM »
Having seen them all week in week out since the late '50's, I'm afraid I'll have to pass on any attempt to name a best ever eleven. The magnificence of so many of the current team has made what has for many years been a hugely difficult task into one which is now impossible.

For crying out loud, every position now has at least three or four contenders with scarcely a feeler gauge between them in terms of quality.

What I will say, however, is that as far as I'm concerned no LFC best ever team - and I mean no best ever LFC selection whatsoever - can ever NOT have within its ranks three players - namely Tommy Smith, Steven Gerrard and Kenny Dalglish.

So apologies to your son but I'm afraid the incredible quality of so many of Kloppie's current team has well and truly fucked up the credibility of any selection process. But good luck to your lad in his task. One thing's for sure - whichever team he picks would win everything going, so he cannot possibly go wrong!!

;D

It's so hard to quantify generation versus generation. It goes without saying that the heroes of Shankly's days were absolute class in their own era, but then again neither of those teams picked up a run of 104 points during 38 games and won the European Cup in the middle of it. Since competition is much greater at the peak of the game today and the players spend so much more time training, the relative level of perfection among top players is always going to be harder. Last time we won the league I think we got 78 points. We're passing that in February this year and City did so two years ago as well. Last year 97 points didn't win the league.

So, all in all, while many of the epic names of the past like Smith, Yeats and Hughes are members of any 22-man squad assembled, it becomes hard to suggest either of them could knock off Virgil van Dijk from an all-time Liverpool XI.

I've also picked my XI with Klopp as manager and with modern, more effiecient football, in mind. Clemence would fit the style of play less than Alisson, even though he was probably just as good a shot-stopper (well before my time). That's the same reason I've included Salah and Suárez over Rush, purely because I've picked a side designed to be as hard to play against and as unpredictable as possible. With Kenny dropping deeper in an attacking phase as a false nine in order for the widemen to cut inside onto their stronger feet, it only leaves space for Rush as the supersub and Roger Hunt misses out on the 22 altogether for that reason. I believe fitting Gerrard, Dalglish and Rush together in a modern 4-3-3 would've been quite difficult because Kenny as a deeper midfielder would've seen him and Stevie run into one another's spaces more often than not and it also would've forced me to drop the perfect balance of Alonso and Souness.

Since Alonso would fit as #6 deep lying playmaker, Souness as the bloodhound and Gerrard as the #8 to complement Dalglish dropping deep, my midfield is fairly well-set from the get-go and since Neal and Kennedy were natural full backs both make sense to put into the team.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:13:33 AM by Linudden »

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • Tantric Breather ♡
« Reply #85 on: Yesterday at 03:24:31 AM »
Jesus.

Gonna be hard this but deffo going for a 442 so Callaghan gets in. Going to try to mix it up a tad with the arl players and the now players and recent ones.

Clemence

Robbo
Virg
Jockey
Neal

Callaghan
Gerrard
Souness
Barnes

Kenny
Suarez

Fucking impossible.

I reckon a 352 would be easier for me to pick but knackered.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

He who expects freedom of speech should allow others to speak .  Me - Now.

He who sees twats really is a twat themselves - Me - Now .

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • Tantric Breather ♡
« Reply #86 on: Yesterday at 03:35:19 AM »
Missing players Stevenson,St John,Byrne.

Peter Thompson .
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

He who expects freedom of speech should allow others to speak .  Me - Now.

He who sees twats really is a twat themselves - Me - Now .

Online daveonthespionkop1900

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #87 on: Yesterday at 08:40:24 AM »
I think any team needs Rush top scorer and Callaghan top appearances in it
walk on...walk on...

Online Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #88 on: Yesterday at 09:35:22 AM »
Gave up at CB, sorry. Just not possible. When you put big Sami in first as you’re favourite ever player, then realise you have to pick 1 from Hansen, Smith and Virg, you realise it’s an impossible task.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #89 on: Yesterday at 12:07:43 PM »
Gave up at CB, sorry. Just not possible. When you put big Sami in first as you’re favourite ever player, then realise you have to pick 1 from Hansen, Smith and Virg, you realise it’s an impossible task.

Ha ha - that's sort of where I came up short Misty. As Linudden just said above the current team is insanely strong in every single position with an ongoing record to back it up and there's an argument for simply putting forward any one of our current first thirteeen - and yeah I'm including Milner because of the multi-facetted ingredients he brings to the table.

Also I should have included Rushie in my previous post where I listed those players who it's unthinkable to leave out. I've now amended the post to read Tommy Smith, Steven Gerrard, Kenny and Rushie.

:)

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #90 on: Yesterday at 12:09:18 PM »
It's so hard to quantify generation versus generation. It goes without saying that the heroes of Shankly's days were absolute class in their own era, but then again neither of those teams picked up a run of 104 points during 38 games and won the European Cup in the middle of it. Since competition is much greater at the peak of the game today and the players spend so much more time training, the relative level of perfection among top players is always going to be harder. Last time we won the league I think we got 78 points. We're passing that in February this year and City did so two years ago as well. Last year 97 points didn't win the league.

So, all in all, while many of the epic names of the past like Smith, Yeats and Hughes are members of any 22-man squad assembled, it becomes hard to suggest either of them could knock off Virgil van Dijk from an all-time Liverpool XI.

I've also picked my XI with Klopp as manager and with modern, more effiecient football, in mind. Clemence would fit the style of play less than Alisson, even though he was probably just as good a shot-stopper (well before my time). That's the same reason I've included Salah and Suárez over Rush, purely because I've picked a side designed to be as hard to play against and as unpredictable as possible. With Kenny dropping deeper in an attacking phase as a false nine in order for the widemen to cut inside onto their stronger feet, it only leaves space for Rush as the supersub and Roger Hunt misses out on the 22 altogether for that reason. I believe fitting Gerrard, Dalglish and Rush together in a modern 4-3-3 would've been quite difficult because Kenny as a deeper midfielder would've seen him and Stevie run into one another's spaces more often than not and it also would've forced me to drop the perfect balance of Alonso and Souness.

Since Alonso would fit as #6 deep lying playmaker, Souness as the bloodhound and Gerrard as the #8 to complement Dalglish dropping deep, my midfield is fairly well-set from the get-go and since Neal and Kennedy were natural full backs both make sense to put into the team.

Good stuff.

Offline Andy @ Allerton

• Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • “That is not dead which can eternal lie..."
« Reply #91 on: Yesterday at 12:15:55 PM »

----- Dalglish Suarez

Liddell Souness Molby Salah

Kennedy Hansen Lawrenson Neal

----------- Clemence
1st Law : A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2nd Law : A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3rd Law : A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the other 2 laws

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #92 on: Yesterday at 12:32:54 PM »
Clemence
Neal
Hansen
Yeats
Kennedy
Callaghan
Gerrard
Souness
Barnes
Dalglish
Rush

Online Nitramdorf

• Believer
« Reply #93 on: Yesterday at 12:33:52 PM »
As many have said it's pretty much impossible to pick a team and to leave out some true greats but when it comes to picking the forward line that impossibility goes up a level.

Clemence
Neal
Hansen
Virgil
Kennedy
Mo
McDermott
Souness
Barnes
Rushie
The King

I'd love to find rňom for Torres, before he signed I thought I was too old for favourite players. He was pure class.

Overall we are very lucky to have seen and loved so many giants on and off the field. When I see that pic of Cantona, Ferguson and Solksjaer in the Manc thread it reminds me how much better off we were and are.
Our equivalent of that us Bill/Bob, Kenny and Fairclough. Our heroes have humility, theres do not.

Good luck to your young lad Ziltoid.

Online Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #94 on: Yesterday at 12:47:01 PM »
Also I should have included Rushie in my previous post where I listed those players who it's unthinkable to leave out. I've now amended the post to read Tommy Smith, Steven Gerrard, Kenny and Rushie.

:)
Souness?  Keep amending it Timbo and you/we might get there ;D

Online Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Believer
  • Yeah right..
« Reply #95 on: Yesterday at 01:08:53 PM »

What I will say, however, is that as far as I'm concerned no LFC best ever team - and I mean no best ever LFC selection whatsoever - can ever NOT have within its ranks three four players - namely Tommy Smith, Steven Gerrard and Kenny Dalglish and Rushie [how the fuck did I leave him out].

Have to add Hughes to that fab four Timbo, incredible player..back to back League & European cup successes, how many players can you say that about on these shores?!
Barnes & Souness too!
McDermott..scorer of the finest goal I have ever seen doesn't get a look in..so many to choose from but this one at 1.18 into this clip stands head & shoulders above the rest.
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/2UsarlBYhTQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtube.com/v/2UsarlBYhTQ</a>

Ray Kennedy..Wow, Cally..unbelievable..Sir Roger..Keegan..Liddell..Heighway..Thompson (both)..Jockey..Clem & Yeats..

How do you leave players like those out?
Even the likes of Nicol & Whelan, vastly underrated players who were outstanding..
Almost impossible Timbo but you gotta go for it!
Fuck me I missed Virgil off that list.. ::)
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:10:25 PM by Medellin »
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Online Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #96 on: Yesterday at 01:16:55 PM »
Special player, phenomenal goals, great vid (except it sends your eyes a bit gozzy!)

Was expecting it to finish on the 7th v Spurs.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Believer
« Reply #97 on: Yesterday at 03:33:45 PM »
indeed, particularly from a list that's missing Terry Mac and Ray Kennedy to name but two
:thumbup