Author Topic: MATCH PREVIEW: Liverpool v Man Utd, Anfield Sun 17 Dec KO 4:30 pm GMT  (Read 17420 times)

Offline scalatore

• Kopite
Re: MATCH PREVIEW: Liverpool v Man Utd, Anfield Sun 17 Dec KO 4:30 pm GMT
« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2023, 02:23:36 am »
Christmas party with my United supporting Irish cousin tomorrow. You bet I'm going to give him a hard time and bring up the 7-0.

Online Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2023, 04:06:49 am »
I may be one of the few nervous about tomorrow. Next two --ManU and the Arse-- are big ones.

Not nervous, but think some predictions on the forum (like we will win 27-0) may be unrealistic. No doubt in my mind though of the three points …
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2023, 04:16:57 am »
I don't mind our fans getting stuck in but I'm definitely not comfortable with the press treating the game like a foregone conclusion. That paragon of predictive acuity, Chris Sutton, thinks it impossible that Man Utd can win without Spursesque refereeing help. Let's not forget that United were billed as favourites going into the 7-0 and thought they could play through us. I think this will be a frustrating game and would not be surprised if we have to eke out another Fulham or Palace type result. I can't even face the thought of a loss. Hope we resist the temptation to start Harvey (his 90 at USG suggests we won't) because the 30 minute sub rule suits him to a T. Also hope Nunez decides to bury an easy chance.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2023, 05:12:35 am »
I don't mind our fans getting stuck in but I'm definitely not comfortable with the press treating the game like a foregone conclusion. That paragon of predictive acuity, Chris Sutton, thinks it impossible that Man Utd can win without Spursesque refereeing help. Let's not forget that United were billed as favourites going into the 7-0 and thought they could play through us. I think this will be a frustrating game and would not be surprised if we have to eke out another Fulham or Palace type result. I can't even face the thought of a loss. Hope we resist the temptation to start Harvey (his 90 at USG suggests we won't) because the 30 minute sub rule suits him to a T. Also hope Nunez decides to bury an easy chance.
I'd take 1-0 right now. The 7-0 was a fluke, almost every shot on target went in. We've had games with 22 shots on goal and nothing to show for (Sao Paulo).
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2023, 07:16:10 am »
Come on Redmen!!
Thanks for the op Duvva. Agree an early goal will be very useful? Their low block and spring to the fast quays as well as set piec3s seem their only weapons.
I think 424 could work for us. Endo with Jones or Trent then let the front four play.
I went to the test event and also have a ticket in AR Upper. Am sure our noise will drown out the Manc shite and the ground should be bouncing.
Performance and finishing are key, get these Ann we will win.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2023, 07:35:12 am »
A win. 3 points. No injuries. That’s it. It’s Liverpool vs Man United. Proper clubs with great history. Form book will always be out of the window. We were the underdog when we thrashed them the last time around. We need to be confident without underestimating them. Go Reds!
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2023, 08:02:05 am »
A win. 3 points. No injuries. That’s it. It’s Liverpool vs Man United. Proper clubs with great history. Form book will always be out of the window. We were the underdog when we thrashed them the last time around. We need to be confident without underestimating them. Go Reds!

Last season was weird. In the away fixture we were favourites and lost and in the home fixture Manu were favourites and lost.

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2023, 08:44:03 am »
The early goal will make these lot fold like a pack of cards in all honesty. Very much on us to dictate how much pain we want to inflict. Personally I can see this team scoring double figures given the way the Mancs form is on paper and whilst yes accept that form goes out of the window for these games, I think they are so poor that this could very well happen.

Now I’ve said that I’ve probably cursed it! But think it’ll be a Liverpool win for sure.

The one thing I’m hoping continues is the stat about Salah and more bookings for removing his shirt in celebration than them scoring  ;D
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 08:45:48 am by RedKenWah »

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2023, 08:47:47 am »
Yeah I never go in to this fixture anticipating that we will bowl them over, even though we have a tendency to. I've always hated this fixture.

We've had some good results but our performance needs to be better tomorrow. We need to be better in the final third and take our chances early on. It helps that their keeper is awful though.

The Union game gives us a clue to what our line up will be. Almost definitely Salah/Nunez/Diaz front three and Szoboszlai/Gravenberch in midfield. Big question is whether we'll be seeing Trent as the 6, because Gomez was largely rested too.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2023, 08:49:58 am »
The early goal will make these lot fold like a pack of cards in all honesty. Very much on us to dictate how much pain we want to inflict. Personally I can see this team scoring double figures given the way the Mancs form is on paper and whilst yes accept that form goes out of the window for these games, I think they are so poor that this could very well happen.

Now I’ve said that I’ve probably cursed it! But think it’ll be a Liverpool win for sure.

The one thing I’m hoping continues is the stat about Salah and more bookings for removing his shirt in celebration than them scoring  ;D

Last fixture we didn't score until almost the stroke of half time, and they still folded like a pack of cards. Albeit the early goal at the start of the second half probably sealed the deal. ;)

I will take any win, as the United loving media will hail it as an improvement if we only batter them 3 nil. Ideally I'd like to put them to bed early but a lot will depend on the team United put out. They're missing a lot of players.

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2023, 10:14:26 am »
Anyone expecting a high score dominating game will be in for a rude awakening. This will be a hard, messy slog. First goal is crucial, getting it won’t be neither simple nor easy.

I expect them to play much better than previously this week, show real fight and discipline.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: December 16, 2023, 10:46:10 am »
Keep it stretched and got to hit them quick on the break before they set up the 5-5 defensive walls. United lately is lucky to have 40% possession and can't see that changing too much so we need to see the passes quickly and be able to break the lines. Gapko in the number 8 behind Diaz Nunez n Salah should be able to break them down. 2-0 will be perfect as don't want him losing his job yet
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
« Reply #92 on: December 16, 2023, 10:56:55 am »
My concern from tomorrow is not them or even us - I'm more worried that VAR or completely inept refereering will ruin things and let's face it, with all that's been said in the run up to this, I can see Oliver and the pricks on VAR coming out in sympathy for them.

Put them under so much pressure from the off and mitigate the officials. This cannot go for long without us scoring and allowing them any foothold or run the risk of a jammy against-the-run-of-play goal. Get at them early and definitely can't play languid, tippy-tappy passes. Do that, maintain it and keep our foot down. God forbid that we go behind against these, it won't be the end of the World of course, but with their tails up and the sheer desperation of them trying to hold on to a lead could end up seeing some injuries to our lads, which we absolutely cannot afford.

If I were any of our boys though, I'd be absolutely frothing at the mouth to get at them and it's certain that Jurgen and the staff will let none of the utter drivel from the press and pundits permeates to the lads and they play as if they are the underdogs.

At this stage though and has been said elsewhere, it's all about the win get this over and done with and move on.
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2023, 11:42:53 am »
So robably McTominay far too worked up and a red incoming :D

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: December 16, 2023, 11:47:22 am »
Just win.

And I think we will, but won’t be drubbing everyone in media seems to be talking about. This lot seriously have nothing going forward though, so one of those games where we’d be our own worst enemy etc.

Curious how we’ll set up in base of midfield with Mac out. Front 3 picks itself.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #95 on: December 16, 2023, 12:04:16 pm »
Theyre mid table quality and we should win, but we have struggled against worse teams

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #96 on: December 16, 2023, 12:08:42 pm »
;D

"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #97 on: December 16, 2023, 12:10:52 pm »
Ten Hag also had some team news ahead of the match with Luke Shaw and Marcus Rashford set to be available for Man Utd against Liverpool but Anthony Martial and Harry Maguire will miss out.

Ten Hag continued: “Harry: he will not be available for the coming games but don’t think it’s long-term,” Ten Hag said. “Luke Shaw: trained this morning. We think he’s available for Sunday.”
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Father Ted

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: December 16, 2023, 12:26:28 pm »
Nothing bolsters confidence like a 7-0 drubbing in your last visit.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: December 16, 2023, 12:41:08 pm »
I may be one of the few nervous about tomorrow. Next two --ManU and the Arse-- are big ones.
I'm nervous every game. 

not because I question or players or tactics -- these days it doesn't matter how we play, there is such a likelihood that there will be a ludicrous ref/VAR decision that goes against us, our ability and "expected superiority" don't matter as much as it used to.

christ I'm starting to sound like a conspiracy theorist.  but the PGMOL bullshit each week keeps piling higher and higher doesn't it.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: December 16, 2023, 12:44:54 pm »
what team will we face?  very difficult to guess - not just because they have some injuries/suspensions, but also the amount of yo-yo decisions 7Hag makes with his squad.  a bit of a long read, but good:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ruggles-not-helped-by-ten-hags-selection-spin
Players at Old Trafford fall in and out of favour at an astonishing rate as manager shuffles his squad in search of the right blend

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #101 on: December 16, 2023, 01:00:44 pm »
Would be very surprised if we got anywhere near 7-0 again as life just isn't that kind

But we're on the ascendancy and these are gasher than ever.

Now there's Ten Hag sacking talk floating about. I think he could do better at these if he had them playing the Ajax way, but well, they don't have the players... I could see them trying a few youth maybe

A lot of this seems in our favour already. Which, sod's law, might mean they have a chance.

But nah. Anfield's bigger now. They're getting battered

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: December 16, 2023, 01:04:09 pm »
we all saw last season, when the team was near it's lowest ebb, the importance of scoring the first goal - and the ability that provided us to play the game in a way that favoured our strengths and played on the opposition's weakness. this game last season probably demonstrated it best, where they really rallied and were competitive for most of the half until gakpo struck the first big blow. then "boom"!

first goal will remain massive tomorrow, but the big difference this season is that we are so much better (when most are fit) so conceding first before scoring is less of a decisive factor. united are unfortunately not going to be able to come with their usual misplaced arrogance, and will set up extremely defensively and unambitiously, and look to counter at pace - which they should have been doing anyway if not for their delusions of grandeur because it's the best they can hope for. i'd probably rather they play a weakling/passenger who wilts under pressure like fernandes instead of some clogger who'll run and give their best. same applies with maguire and his delusion he can play ball, but instead we'll probably face shaw who'll unambitiously better focus (even out of position) on doing what he can to keep salah quiet.

the most important thing is to control the tempo and emotion. don't do anything that shoots ourselves in the foot. don't get drawn into timewasting or repeat fouls, don't pick up a soft yellow for having a go at the ref or kicking the ball away, don't dive into a tackle too aggressively and give the ref and var a potential decision to make. don't get booked early making lots of unnecessary late fouls. we've done each of these things in small moments of recent games - tomorrow is the most important one to play smart, because we're facing pace up front/on the counter for the first time in a while. and if we gift them anything, it might keep them in it so the cloggers raise their game - when what we need to do is slowly but surely apply the pressure and get a goal then reapply and watch their wilting mentality play out until it helps us put the nail in the coffin. no early yellows in midfield!

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #103 on: December 16, 2023, 01:13:09 pm »
I’ll take a 1-0 win. Leave talk of a drubbing to one side and try not to be complacent. We were expecting to batter Luton and look how that turned out.

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
« Reply #104 on: December 16, 2023, 01:14:20 pm »
;D

Silly man running his mouth like that  ;D

The only team I think who can get away with saying that before a trip to Anfield is Real Madrid.

Online Tokyoite

• Kopite
  • Biggest Endo fan
« Reply #105 on: December 16, 2023, 01:16:25 pm »
;D

Of course they are confident, it'll be very hard even for them to do worse than last time  ;D

Offline MartinSkrtelsBasement

• Kopite
« Reply #106 on: December 16, 2023, 01:22:30 pm »
Seen lots of people saying they're nervous and worried about over-confidence for this one.

Whilst we must not be complacent, think people are underestimating how bad United are. If they come and play a low block that's all well and good, but not sure they have the personnel or concentration to do it against us.

Liverpool also havn't been great, but away games in this league are always difficult.

Top of the league Liverpool and a bumper Anfield crowd on a Saturday night at Christmas will be far too much for them.
Pirlo is a silent leader. He speaks with his feet.
—Marcello Lippi

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #107 on: December 16, 2023, 01:24:02 pm »
I’ll take a 1-0 win. Leave talk of a drubbing to one side and try not to be complacent. We were expecting to batter Luton and look how that turned out.

And add Toulouse, Sheffield United and Palace to the smorgasbord of pre match complacency.

I’d take a 2-0. One at about 25 minutes the other at around 60. ;D

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: December 16, 2023, 01:26:42 pm »
I hope Anfield is roaring for this

haha seen one of their "fans" put on Instagram: Will there be a section for away fans?

Yeah, but good luck hearing them

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
« Reply #109 on: December 16, 2023, 01:40:48 pm »
Is the new stand open for this one?

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
« Reply #111 on: December 16, 2023, 01:50:22 pm »
Not fully - will be up to 57K though

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/lfc-welcome-57000-fans-new-anfield-road-stand-upper-tier-opens-first-time

Thanks mate. Really looking forward to hearing Anfield on a European night with over 60,000 people.

Offline Hymer Red

• With the money from the accident she bought herself a mobile home...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: December 16, 2023, 02:14:17 pm »
I will take a scrappy 1-0 win off Onanas arse against this spawny lot without a doubt.

How do I see it going? I think we will swamp them from kick off pinning them back at the Anny Rd end for the first 10 mins at least, looking for the breakthrough we all want. I worry they may get a flukey turnover just inside their half as a few teams have against us and someone who has not scored since 1825 will go running to our goal with a pack of defenders behind him (Poundland or Antony is a knocking bet) If they get past Ali they will then go 24 players behind the ball and not move out of their area for the rest of the game.

That will of course get us annoyed and we will go on to beat them 3-1

Either that or we will just twat them 27-0  :) :) Not too bothered which
This Klopp fella, hes not bad is he?

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: December 16, 2023, 03:41:53 pm »
we all saw last season, when the team was near it's lowest ebb, the importance of scoring the first goal - and the ability that provided us to play the game in a way that favoured our strengths and played on the opposition's weakness. this game last season probably demonstrated it best, where they really rallied and were competitive for most of the half until gakpo struck the first big blow. then "boom"!

first goal will remain massive tomorrow, but the big difference this season is that we are so much better (when most are fit) so conceding first before scoring is less of a decisive factor. united are unfortunately not going to be able to come with their usual misplaced arrogance, and will set up extremely defensively and unambitiously, and look to counter at pace - which they should have been doing anyway if not for their delusions of grandeur because it's the best they can hope for. i'd probably rather they play a weakling/passenger who wilts under pressure like fernandes instead of some clogger who'll run and give their best. same applies with maguire and his delusion he can play ball, but instead we'll probably face shaw who'll unambitiously better focus (even out of position) on doing what he can to keep salah quiet.

the most important thing is to control the tempo and emotion. don't do anything that shoots ourselves in the foot. don't get drawn into timewasting or repeat fouls, don't pick up a soft yellow for having a go at the ref or kicking the ball away, don't dive into a tackle too aggressively and give the ref and var a potential decision to make. don't get booked early making lots of unnecessary late fouls. we've done each of these things in small moments of recent games - tomorrow is the most important one to play smart, because we're facing pace up front/on the counter for the first time in a while. and if we gift them anything, it might keep them in it so the cloggers raise their game - when what we need to do is slowly but surely apply the pressure and get a goal then reapply and watch their wilting mentality play out until it helps us put the nail in the coffin. no early yellows in midfield!

Pronouncing Rasherrs fit to play - has signaled their game plan of a counterattack / break.

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: December 16, 2023, 05:02:32 pm »
Win and go 6 points clear of city.

Offline kop306

• Anny Roader
« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2023, 05:05:23 pm »
3 - 0  win
dom
mo
trent

will be interesting to see the fans in the new anfield road stand

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2023, 05:07:28 pm »
I would settle for a 1-0 winner from Kostas
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: December 16, 2023, 05:07:47 pm »
I hope Anfield is roaring for this

haha seen one of their "fans" put on Instagram: Will there be a section for away fans?

Yeah, but good luck hearing them

Don’t worry the tragedy and poverty chants will be coming through loud and clear.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: December 16, 2023, 05:08:53 pm »
I would settle for a 1-0 winner from Kostas

Joe Gomez breaking his duck with an 100th minute winner would be even better.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #119 on: December 16, 2023, 05:08:58 pm »
A chance to go 6 pts ahead of City. This game is HUGE.