Author Topic: Arsenal: Top of the divers league  (Read 365730 times)

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Arsenal: Top of the divers league
« Reply #8160 on: May 2, 2024, 01:11:32 pm »
Massive pressure on logo head to deliver this title now. He's spent a fortune on players and has next to nothing to show for it.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #8161 on: May 2, 2024, 01:34:33 pm »
I think United will try harder against us than Spurs will against city

I wouldn't worry, they're shit.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8162 on: May 2, 2024, 01:40:46 pm »
Massive pressure on logo head to deliver this title now. He's spent a fortune on players and has next to nothing to show for it.

By the time we get rid of him all the top managers could be off the market. Personally id make the change now.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8163 on: May 2, 2024, 01:41:39 pm »
I wouldn't worry, they're shit.

So are Spurs, giving them too much credit saying they wont try, as if it will make a difference.

We dont defend corners mate, its who we are.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8164 on: May 2, 2024, 01:41:39 pm »
Sorry did I see someone say Ben White is the best right back in the league yesterday? :lmao and no one has even questioned it?!
The bait was a bit too obvious!

He wouldn't be in the top 3 right backs at Liverpool ;D

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8165 on: May 2, 2024, 04:03:14 pm »

Seems like this might be a controversial take on here... but I have him favourite for the right back spot in the team of the season.....

Offline Bullet500

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8166 on: May 2, 2024, 06:00:52 pm »

If you watched Liverpool's previous 5 games, you just might want Ben Tan at right back.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8167 on: May 2, 2024, 08:13:28 pm »
If you watched Liverpool's previous 5 games, you just might want Ben Tan at right back.
Based on our last 5 games he'd probably get a game up front!

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #8168 on: May 2, 2024, 09:13:17 pm »
Seems like this might be a controversial take on here... but I have him favourite for the right back spot in the team of the season.....
A gooner fan making him favourite.
What a surprise.  ::)

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8169 on: May 2, 2024, 09:51:13 pm »
A gooner fan making him favourite.
What a surprise.  ::)

Shocking eh?

Who would you say deserves to be ahead of him?

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #8170 on: May 2, 2024, 11:16:27 pm »
Shocking eh?

On a LFC site?

I'd say Connor and Trent. 
Maybe Joe Gomez as well?

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #8171 on: May 3, 2024, 12:16:43 am »
On a LFC site?

Maybe Joe Gomez as well?

None of them will fetch the 70m he is purportedly worth. Maybe Trent if the buyer is desperate?
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8172 on: May 3, 2024, 12:27:32 am »
Kinda hope City win it. If they win, it’s just another trophy that no one will remember and no one will respect, that one day may get stripped from them. It will rile up more people in London and therefore cause more outrage about City’s cheating over the last decade.

If Arsenal win there will be a party all summer. The celebrations would be huge, especially with these Arsenal players. It will also be Arteta equalling Klopp’s PL which I cannot accept. People would actually respect their title. There will be more celebrations and acclaim in one night than City’s treble winners got in a year.

Also let’s not forget everyone calling to null and void the one year that we finally managed to keep the cheats at arms length.

So I’d rather City win another meaningless trophy.

This is exactly my viewpoint. And I hate myself for feeling this way because it makes me a massive hypocrite after years of insisting we deserved so much more acclaim than we received, but fuck it, I'm a bitter bastard and the game is fucked anyway.

Offline BigBrainArteta

• Main Stander
« Reply #8173 on: May 3, 2024, 02:51:31 am »

Early in the thread Arsenal fans were being told Arteta would leave us for City or Barcelona eventually. Know Arteta is 'under pressure' facing the sack.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8174 on: May 3, 2024, 06:16:12 am »
On a LFC site?

Maybe Joe Gomez as well?

Does being on an LFC site stop people from discussing the game rationally?

Wait... forget I asked that.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #8175 on: May 3, 2024, 06:31:51 am »
Does being on an LFC site stop people from discussing the game rationally?

Wait... forget I asked that.
Completely rational, but the lens through which we view the game will always be tinted.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8176 on: May 3, 2024, 06:46:52 am »
Completely rational, but the lens through which we view the game will always be tinted.

Right up Ben White’s street then.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8177 on: May 3, 2024, 06:49:53 am »

Of course it will, that's not what Terry is saying though is it?

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8178 on: May 3, 2024, 06:59:14 am »
Why would we want to big up rival teams players and put our own down?
This thread really is totally irrational.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8179 on: May 3, 2024, 07:10:22 am »
Why would we want to big up rival teams players and put our own down?
This thread really is totally irrational.

Where did I say to do that? I mean it was hardly a controversial question, all I asked was who would be ahead at right back in an EPL team of the year, apparently that's irrational?!

Trent would be the obvious choice but he's had injuries. Walker the City fans think time has caught up with him finally. Tripper has had some really poor performances. Gusto? Porro? Konsa? Wan Bissaka or Dalot?
« Last Edit: May 3, 2024, 07:14:51 am by ScottishGoon »

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8180 on: May 3, 2024, 07:16:46 am »

Weird, overly defensive reactions to this. White's been excellent this season. Trent's the better player, but it's pretty reasonable to say White has had a better season.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8181 on: May 3, 2024, 07:20:08 am »
Weird, overly defensive reactions to this. White's been excellent this season. Trent's the better player, but it's pretty reasonable to say White has had a better season.

Exactly, and I agree with both your points, about Trent as well. I dont know why folk got so defensive, don't think it was BBA levels of posting (sorry BBA)  :D

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8182 on: May 3, 2024, 07:26:11 am »
Where did I say to do that? I mean it was hardly a controversial question, all I asked was who would be ahead at right back in an EPL team of the year, apparently that's irrational?!

Trent would be the obvious choice but he's had injuries. Walker the City fans think time has caught up with him finally. Tripper has had some really poor performances. Gusto? Porro? Konsa? Wan Bissaka or Dalot?
To be honest, I’ve never really noticed him, apart from his colouring of course. I barely watch any football if it’s not Liverpool , but the few bits of Arsenal games I’ve seen, all I’ve noticed is the diving and cry-arsing.
Plus. I know Liverpool have the best player in the world for every position, so by that alone there is no way Ben Orange can be the best right back. Just logical really.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8183 on: May 3, 2024, 07:28:21 am »
Of course it will, that's not what Terry is saying though is it?
Fair point. I was replying mostly to your point.

And to the original point. Best right back in the league is such a difficult question as different things are demanded of the role, some are played in teams where the need for defensive play outweighs attacking prowess and vice versa. Some will be exposed less defensively.
As for Ben whites valuation. The money in the PL is so absurd I pay little attention to it.  Is it more than what we sold hendo for? One we could all see was way past his prime.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline AthleticClub

• Main Stander
« Reply #8184 on: May 3, 2024, 07:35:46 am »
Exactly, and I agree with both your points, about Trent as well. I dont know why folk got so defensive, don't think it was BBA levels of posting (sorry BBA)  :D

I don't know why people get so defensive about arsenal fans on this forum. Here's a question for you, what are your thoughts on Arsenal fans emptying the ground against Villa before full time?

On Ben White, Walker, Trent and Trippier are by a distance better right backs. He's probably somewhere around the 4th to 10th best right back in the league. No shame in that, Arsenal have players in the top two or three in their position in the league, it's okay not to have the leagues best in every position. Liverpool excluded obviously as we're world class 1 to 22. 

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8185 on: May 3, 2024, 07:47:07 am »

You’re right, it didn’t make me want to gouge my eyes out.

Two separate debates - who’s the better right back, and who’s had the better season. For consistency I think it’s fair to say Whiye has been the matter this season. Seems to have played every game, been a stalwart in the strongest defence in the league and has chipped in with a few goals. Might not even get him in the England squad, and as said, there are ‘better’ right backs out there but if he gets in team of the year it’s hardly a massive crime is it.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8186 on: May 3, 2024, 08:15:09 am »

So you are saying the manager has underachieved then?  ;)

Ach, fair play. I just thought by the tone of my initial message it was obvious it wasnt to WUM or anything, it was actually to promote discussion / debate.

Fair point back at you. It's difficult to put valuations on players nowadays, and they are just often dictated by what someone is willing to pay, or what a selling club is demanding, half the time in the hope to ward of interest, and half the time to drive up the price.

I don't think people are overly defensive of Arsenal fans on here. Only trying to speak for myself, but I think the fact I've been on here for over 10 years, have thousands of posts and have rarely if ever been accused of being a WUM helps.

People want different things from forums. Some like to engage in proper discussion or debate, even with a rival fan like myself. Others can't stand rival fans on the forum and prefer to just poke and prod at them. There's no right answer, obviously I prefer the former, it looks like you prefer the latter a you've came in here swinging recently.  :-[

To answer your question on Arsenal fans leaving, I thought it was a really, really poor show, I found it very weak and entitled, but I'm not a match going fan so they can always say to me that at least they put their money where their mouth is.

I'm not a fan of the Subway loyal in general as we call them up in Glasgow, as we have a problem with folk leaving early from Rangers games as well.

As for right backs, I wasn't asking who the better right back is, EPL team of the year is for who has performed best that year. Trent is better, but missed nearly 1/3 of the games. Walker has been criticised from his own fan base for performances this season. Trippier, well he was giving away goals nearly every week at some point this season. I was actually feeling sorry for him at one point!

You’re right, it didn’t make me want to gouge my eyes out.

I'll take that Nick!!  ;D
« Last Edit: May 3, 2024, 08:17:13 am by ScottishGoon »

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8187 on: May 3, 2024, 08:22:38 am »
Spurs losing last night wasn't ideal for Arsenal. That's their 4th place hopes all but done you'd imagine, and will almost certainly be done by the time they face City.

I just can't imagine Spurs getting motivated for that knowing they've nothing to play for and what happens if they take points off City.

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8188 on: May 3, 2024, 08:31:48 am »
So you are saying the manager has underachieved then?  ;)

Ach, fair play. I just thought by the tone of my initial message it was obvious it wasnt to WUM or anything, it was actually to promote discussion / debate.

Fair point back at you. It's difficult to put valuations on players nowadays, and they are just often dictated by what someone is willing to pay, or what a selling club is demanding, half the time in the hope to ward of interest, and half the time to drive up the price.

I don't think people are overly defensive of Arsenal fans on here. Only trying to speak for myself, but I think the fact I've been on here for over 10 years, have thousands of posts and have rarely if ever been accused of being a WUM helps.

People want different things from forums. Some like to engage in proper discussion or debate, even with a rival fan like myself. Others can't stand rival fans on the forum and prefer to just poke and prod at them. There's no right answer, obviously I prefer the former, it looks like you prefer the latter a you've came in here swinging recently.  :-[

To answer your question on Arsenal fans leaving, I thought it was a really, really poor show, I found it very weak and entitled, but I'm not a match going fan so they can always say to me that at least they put their money where their mouth is.

I'm not a fan of the Subway loyal in general as we call them up in Glasgow, as we have a problem with folk leaving early from Rangers games as well.

As for right backs, I wasn't asking who the better right back is, EPL team of the year is for who has performed best that year. Trent is better, but missed nearly 1/3 of the games. Walker has been criticised from his own fan base for performances this season. Trippier, well he was giving away goals nearly every week at some point this season. I was actually feeling sorry for him at one point!

I'll take that Nick!!  ;D
Yeah I wasn’t being totally serious. Apart from the Arsenal diving and cry arsing of course.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8189 on: May 3, 2024, 08:42:09 am »
I know we are pissed off at their diving, but if wed gone down easy in the box half a dozen more times, klopp could be leaving with more titles.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8190 on: May 3, 2024, 09:22:54 am »
I know we are pissed off at their diving, but if wed gone down easy in the box half a dozen more times, klopp could be leaving with more titles.

I mean, no-one mentioned the fact Saka actually stayed on his feet when running through on Allison at Anfield when half the folk were shouting at the TV to do more to instigate the contact.  ;D

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #8191 on: May 3, 2024, 11:35:35 am »

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8192 on: May 3, 2024, 12:39:21 pm »
I mean, no-one mentioned the fact Saka actually stayed on his feet when running through on Allison at Anfield when half the folk were shouting at the TV to do more to instigate the contact.  ;D
I don’t remember that but a momentary lapse doesn’t make up for all the cheating, diving and cry arsing he does.

Offline Mahern

• Kopite
« Reply #8193 on: May 3, 2024, 02:06:12 pm »
Shocking eh?

Hang on am I missing something, isn't Wan-Bissaka the best right back in the league?

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8194 on: May 3, 2024, 03:23:31 pm »
Hang on am I missing something, isn't Wan-Bissaka the best right back in the league?

He's a great player.....until a pesky football becomes involved and ruins everything!

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8195 on: May 3, 2024, 04:15:10 pm »
One thing about Arteta, hes not too proud to get advise, he was saying the other day that hes speaking to Wenger regularly, getting advise on how to handle title races. Its easily forgotten that Wenger won 3 titles.

That doesn't really make sense to me. Arteta's done pretty much nothing as a manager, he should be taking in all the advice he can get from the likes of Wenger. Asking for is just a sign of common sense not swallowing his pride.
(Disclaimer: I may have to delete the done pretty much nothing comment in a couple of weeks. I think Arsenal will take it from here) 

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8196 on: May 3, 2024, 09:05:22 pm »
Arsenal to pay tribute to Gunners fan Daniel Anjorin after the 14-year-old was murdered in a sword attack in east London... with fans to take part in a minute's applause in the 14th minute at Bournemouth match

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8197 on: May 3, 2024, 10:58:12 pm »
Arsenal to pay tribute to Gunners fan Daniel Anjorin after the 14-year-old was murdered in a sword attack in east London... with fans to take part in a minute's applause in the 14th minute at Bournemouth match

Nice touch. RIP Daniel

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8198 on: May 4, 2024, 04:11:50 am »
Re: Ben White, the team of the year will be a combined 9 of Arsenal and Man City players, plus Palmer and VVD. Doesn't matter if it's right or wrong, it's how these things work.

Raya
White Saliba Virgil Akanji/Ake/Gvardiol (according to taste)
Foden Rice Rodri
Palmer Haaland Saka

Wouldn't surprise me if they shoehorn De Bruyne in despite having played about 5 games, and maybe swap Raya for a shite team's goalie who's made a lot of highlight reel saves (call it the Kaminski Method)

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8199 on: May 4, 2024, 05:56:26 am »
Re: Ben White, the team of the year will be a combined 9 of Arsenal and Man City players, plus Palmer and VVD. Doesn't matter if it's right or wrong, it's how these things work.

Raya
White Saliba Virgil Akanji/Ake/Gvardiol (according to taste)
Foden Rice Rodri
Palmer Haaland Saka

Wouldn't surprise me if they shoehorn De Bruyne in despite having played about 5 games, and maybe swap Raya for a shite team's goalie who's made a lot of highlight reel saves (call it the Kaminski Method)

Yeh id go with that. Id actually go for Isak ahead of Haaland. They might get van de ven in, hes faster than usaine bolt, bolt is better at defending corner though.