Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 2817399 times)

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
Re: The NFL Thread
« Reply #71720 on: February 23, 2024, 02:04:37 pm »
The Greenlaw we've seen? No. The Greenlaw we might get back...

Honestly love the player but I have NEVER seen an NFL player come back from that injury and be successful. There probably are fringe cases I am forgetting or unaware of but it usually takes 9-12 months to get back and then often a year or two of reduced performance. By that time there are newer flashier toys and they are older and on the road out of the NFL.

Gutted for the dude but this is a business.

There’s talk of a contract restructure for Greenlaw.

Would need to cut him pre-April 1st for ~6M cap saving. However, concerns how that would be viewed in locker room given Greenlaw’s importance and status in defence. Re-structure pushes his cap hit further down the line. Provides player with some level of insurance. But also releases valuable cap space for Aiyuk extension
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Online Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #71721 on: February 29, 2024, 08:12:37 am »
Interesting one, NFLPA released the results of a survey they did ranking teams, based on coaching, & other stuff such as gym, cafeteria & such, the Commanders are ranked 32nd, Chiefs 31st, although Andy Reid is ranked 1st in the head coaches category, Clark Hunt got ranked 32nd of the owners category, incidentally the Raiders were ranked last in the head coaches category, but this was before Josh McDaniels was fired.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39616360/dolphins-vikings-top-players-survey-nfl-teams-chiefs-31st
#Sausages

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #71722 on: February 29, 2024, 08:13:38 am »

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #71723 on: March 3, 2024, 11:43:47 pm »
ESPN's Chris Mortensen passed away. He took time off last year as he had stage 4 cancer. RIP.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #71724 on: March 4, 2024, 09:23:13 am »
ESPN's Chris Mortensen passed away. He took time off last year as he had stage 4 cancer. RIP.
RIP

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #71725 on: March 4, 2024, 07:11:47 pm »
As expected, Jason Kelce announces his retirement. At least I think he did - it's hard to tell as he was crying so much.  ;D

Gold jacket recipient in 2029.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #71726 on: March 4, 2024, 10:07:00 pm »
Broncos cutting Wilson, take $85 million dead money hit, what a disaster that trade is.
#Sausages

Offline Vote For Pedro

• "Kay-bye!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71727 on: March 4, 2024, 10:44:26 pm »
Broncos cutting Wilson, take $85 million dead money hit, what a disaster that trade is.
Staggeringly bad, especially for a fairly limited QB. Can't believe the GM has survived it.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #71728 on: March 4, 2024, 11:02:45 pm »
Broncos gave Seahawks:

2022 1st
2022 2nd
2022 5th
2023 1st
2023 2nd
Drew Lock
Noah Fant
Shelby Harris

for Russell Wilson and a 4th - the player they took with that pick ended up getting suspended for gambling apparently too.

safe to say that it's not gone well.

Online Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #71729 on: March 5, 2024, 08:28:46 am »
Broncos trade for Wilson maybe 2nd worst NFL trade of all time, with Vikings trading for Herschel Walker being the worst trade of all time, particularly as the Vikings ended up watching the Cowboys dynasty with the draft picks the Vikings gave up.
#Sausages

Online Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #71730 on: March 6, 2024, 09:33:15 am »
I know the combine was last weekend, but what's the point of it, all the drills have no relation to an NFL game, & most of the drills look like ones you'd do in warm up/practice, the 40 yard dash is meaningless too, you get the odd play were a WR/RB does run 40 yards, but most plays involve cuts & spins.
#Sausages

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71731 on: March 6, 2024, 09:36:53 am »
I know the combine was last weekend, but what's the point of it, all the drills have no relation to an NFL game, & most of the drills look like ones you'd do in warm up/practice, the 40 yard dash is meaningless too, you get the odd play were a WR/RB does run 40 yards, but most plays involve cuts & spins.

yeah pretty pointless but it gives you a sense of athletic ability. And you don’t test that simply by replicating game state. With football if you want to know aerobic capacity you do a specific test for it. Nothing like a real game but useful for the coaches to know.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #71732 on: March 6, 2024, 02:54:34 pm »
Broncos gave Seahawks:

2022 1st
2022 2nd
2022 5th
2023 1st
2023 2nd
Drew Lock
Noah Fant
Shelby Harris

for Russell Wilson and a 4th - the player they took with that pick ended up getting suspended for gambling apparently too.

safe to say that it's not gone well.

Not to mention all the money they gave Wilson as well

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71733 on: March 6, 2024, 09:08:50 pm »
They get all the Medical info and do interviews. That more important then some of the drills but teams still want that info

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #71734 on: March 7, 2024, 10:14:40 am »

Quite arguable that 2 worst trades of all time (certainly modern....) happened same offseason with Wilson and Watson.
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Online Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #71735 on: March 11, 2024, 08:18:48 am »
Sounds like Steelers are signing Wilson on a 1 year deal.
#Sausages

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #71736 on: March 11, 2024, 08:28:02 am »
I get that he's (really!) cheap for 1 year but as someone who's alright with the steelers, I'm not really a fan of this move.

Offline PatriotScouser

• Legacy Fan
  • I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
« Reply #71737 on: March 11, 2024, 10:16:13 am »
Good night my sweet Prince...........Mac Jones going to the Jags for a 6th round pick.

Just cements the fact that we'll be going for a QB with our 3rd pick. However as I suspect Caleb will be going to the Bears and Daniels (who I really do like) to the Commanders, I'm slightly hesitant about who we should go for.

I'd be very tempted just to go for probably the best player in the draft and go for Marvin Harrison and then get a veteran QB in FA or trade for a QB.

However if the Bears do the smart thing for once and pick Harrison that leave the door open for us to get Daniels.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71738 on: March 11, 2024, 11:01:14 am »

However if the Bears do the smart thing for once and pick Harrison that leave the door open for us to get Daniels.

In what world would the Bears skipping a QB for Harrison be the smart thing? Even if for some stupid reason they decided not to do so, they'd be looking for a team to make them a big offer and that pick would still end up going on a Qb anwyay.

Are you not a fan of Maye nor McCarthy then, they seem to be the other top-rated QB's in the draft?

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #71739 on: March 11, 2024, 11:10:49 am »
the smart thing for chicago to do is to take the kid that pretty much everyone says is the undoubted #1 pick and the best QB prospect by a distance.

even if it does end up going wrong (these things can never be guaranteed after all) nobody's going to kill them for it because everyone would do the same thing.

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71740 on: March 11, 2024, 11:25:29 am »
Reports 49ers are releasing Arik Armstead. Was slated to be a $28M cap hit in 2024. Tried to restructure deal but couldn’t get in done.

Suspect it’ll be a post June 1st release since that saves 18M with 10M dead money. A big loss on the DL but hopefully it’s being done to create cap space for Aiyuk’s extension.

Think Armstead will have a good market for a long term deal. Maybe not at $28M though

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71741 on: March 11, 2024, 11:29:20 am »
It'd be a different matter if Fields had shown enough despite poor offensive playcalling that you felt comfortable to have him learning a new system during a contract year, but while he can be a great playmaker at times, it has rarely ever been due to the quality of stuff like his passing, his reading of defences etc and when a gift like getting another #1 pick has fallen into their laps it would be foolish to not reset the clock on the QB contract and move onto a guy that you would hope would deliver more for the team.

As far as Harrison, while getting him would be very welcome in other circumstances, you can't pass on a QB when you so need one and in any case, there's still a good chance that one of the other top WR prospects drops to them at #9.

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71742 on: March 11, 2024, 11:52:08 am »
If Fields was in this draft, with his NFL experience but truncated rookie contract, where would he get picked?

I’d be surprised if it was in the Top10. Probably late 1st round.

To me that defines his value versus a rookie QB like Caleb Williams

Offline Vote For Pedro

• "Kay-bye!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71743 on: March 11, 2024, 01:05:34 pm »
Been quietly impressed with the way Poles is going about things. I think the Bears are a better team than a lot of people give them credit for. If Williams can have a solid rookie year, and they make some astute moves in FA with all that cap space (beyond Bates and Byard who seem like depth pieces), we could be looking at an outside run for the playoffs.

No doubt this comment will age extremely badly ;D

Offline Zaffarious

• likes 2 mins from the toilet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Militant Fan
« Reply #71744 on: March 11, 2024, 05:31:01 pm »
looks like daniels is moving to #2 on most peoples boards , so that leaves the patriots with a choice of penix, bo nix, drake maye. or they can go marvin and try get cousins / take a gamble on one of the cheaper cousins alternatives on the market (fields?). personally id go with harrison plus fields and take that shot. out of the remaining qbs i really like penix but those injuries will scare patriots from using the 3rd pick in the draft.

Offline PatriotScouser

• Legacy Fan
  • I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
« Reply #71745 on: March 11, 2024, 06:55:42 pm »
It's really hotting up in FA right at the moment, lots of moves happening and some interesting ones too.

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #71746 on: March 11, 2024, 06:57:05 pm »
Kirk Cousins to the Falcons, 4 yrs, no financial terms released yet, but I assume around $35m per season.

I do think as a Vikings fan that it would be a lot of money for a 36 yo coming off Achilles surgery, and it gives them a chance to rebuild with a younger cheap QB. But I like Cousins, he's good and dependable and will still be in the 11-15th best QB area for the next couple of seasons. And he will have lots of weapons with Atlanta now.

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71747 on: March 11, 2024, 06:58:56 pm »
Saquon to the Eagles, wow.  3-year deal.
King Kenny.

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #71748 on: March 11, 2024, 07:04:08 pm »
Kirk Cousins to the Falcons, 4 yrs, no financial terms released yet, but I assume around $35m per season.

I do think as a Vikings fan that it would be a lot of money for a 36 yo coming off Achilles surgery, and it gives them a chance to rebuild with a younger cheap QB. But I like Cousins, he's good and dependable and will still be in the 11-15th best QB area for the next couple of seasons. And he will have lots of weapons with Atlanta now.
$180m/4 yrs / $100m guaranteed. 45 per year? Holy moly. Cousins will easily have cleared $400m in career earnings when he retires.

Offline jonkrux

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71749 on: March 11, 2024, 07:06:34 pm »
🤯🤯

As an eagles fan, that's awesome.

Offline Vote For Pedro

• "Kay-bye!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71750 on: March 11, 2024, 07:11:45 pm »
Swift heading to Chicago - definitely a step up from Herbert as no 1

Offline Zaffarious

• likes 2 mins from the toilet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Militant Fan
« Reply #71751 on: March 11, 2024, 07:36:48 pm »
damn what a day ! jacobs to GB too

Online In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71752 on: March 11, 2024, 07:43:20 pm »

My god, what a signing. I was 100% certain he set for the Ravens.
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71753 on: March 11, 2024, 08:24:57 pm »
🤯🤯

As an eagles fan, that's awesome.
Is he really that good? Stats don't look that great and he's not exactly young for a rb?  Never thought we'd spend that much on a rb.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71754 on: March 11, 2024, 08:26:32 pm »
Not fussed with Barkley going.

You use a platoon of RB's for cheap as Chips instead of paying one big dollars who could get injured.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71755 on: March 11, 2024, 08:27:30 pm »
Eagles also signed Bryce Huff on a 3 year 51 million deal.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #71756 on: March 11, 2024, 09:10:51 pm »
cousins is going in the hall of fame.....................of getting paid.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #71757 on: March 12, 2024, 12:13:24 am »
Raiders putting the rest of the NFL on alert by signing err....   Gardner Minshew at QB for 2 years.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #71758 on: March 12, 2024, 12:16:02 am »
Anyone know anything about Xavier McKinney? Haven't seen much of him. Was hoping to land Simmons from Denver but hopefully this will still be an upgrade in the secondary.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #71759 on: March 12, 2024, 06:39:40 am »
Raiders putting the rest of the NFL on alert by signing err....   Gardner Minshew at QB for 2 years.

I think they'll draft someone. And the Wilkins signing seems like a good one.