Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4224284 times)

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #76120 on: May 15, 2024, 04:52:09 pm »
This fight is all about the range that the majority of the fight takes place at, Usyk is one of the best mid-range fighters I've ever seen, the likes of Joshua and Dubois were not able to clinch him due to underated power and brilliant footwork that continually rotates the wrong way for an opponent and offsets them.

Because Usyk is able to fight at this range with very good head movement on top, it drains the absolute fuck out of opponents when they cannot break up the action with clinches, with the opponent over working himself to keep throwing punches because Usyk is always in range, the Bellew fight was s great example of this, Bellew fought well but by the 7th he was exhausted from Usyk always being in range.

The key for Fury is to ensure that the majority of the fight is not fought at mid range, he has use his reach and jab at long range and step back, or follow his right hand through into repeated clinching in terms of stop start action, taking the flow and the rhythm out of Usyks fight.  If Usyks footwork is good enough to avoid this repeated clinching and leaning then hes onto a winner.  If he cant, then for the 1st time in his career, Usyk may become the tired one.  Whoever gets their way with the range its fought at wins imo, Fury needs to avoid mid range punch exchanges and make this ugly.

Online Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76121 on: May 15, 2024, 05:37:17 pm »
It’s hard to judge how good Fury is right now as others have said he hasn’t fought anyone of note for 3 years.

He clearly has lots in his favour height/reach but I’m not sure on this time waits for no man.

He looks great but I’m with Froch on this will losing all that weight be his downfall ?

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76122 on: May 15, 2024, 06:23:51 pm »
It’s hard to judge how good Fury is right now as others have said he hasn’t fought anyone of note for 3 years.

He clearly has lots in his favour height/reach but I’m not sure on this time waits for no man.

He looks great but I’m with Froch on this will losing all that weight be his downfall ?
I think he has to come in light because of the pace that Usyk will fight at for 12 rounds.  I don't think he's going to be able to blast Usyk out like he did Wilder because Usyk has a much better chin and better stamina.

This is a really interesting fight although it might be one for the purists, particularly if Fury wins I think it will be by making it a bit of a stinker.

Offline KIFS

• Main Stander
  • Orcs must die!
« Reply #76123 on: May 15, 2024, 06:54:44 pm »
Where will be the best place in town to watch this? Trying to avoid Concert Square and Matthew street.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76124 on: May 15, 2024, 07:00:30 pm »
Where will be the best place in town to watch this? Trying to avoid Concert Square and Matthew street.

I was going to suggest Concert Square mate.  ;D

Best thnig to do is go to a mate or if you can order it. If there is one fight you should order on PPV it's the first Undisputed Heavyweight title fight in 25 years.

Offline KIFS

• Main Stander
  • Orcs must die!
« Reply #76125 on: May 15, 2024, 07:25:46 pm »

Best thnig to do is go to a mate or if you can order it. If there is one fight you should order on PPV it's the first Undisputed Heavyweight title fight in 25 years.

I know mate. I wish that was an option, but sadly not. I believe the Denbigh is showing it, so that might be the best option.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #76126 on: May 15, 2024, 07:41:28 pm »

Concert Square is deffo the right place if you want to watch a bit of Boxing windmilling on a Saturday night.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76127 on: May 15, 2024, 11:57:31 pm »
Sad state of boxing how a fight like this isn't in Las Vegas.

The Saudis turn my stomach.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76128 on: May 16, 2024, 12:51:17 pm »
If Fury is going to win, he has to turn it into a borefest.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #76129 on: May 16, 2024, 12:54:56 pm »
Sad state of boxing how a fight like this isn't in Las Vegas.

The Saudis turn my stomach.

Meh. Exchanged one morally bankrupt city in a desert for another one. Only now the fights are at a watchable time.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #76130 on: May 16, 2024, 01:02:58 pm »
If Fury is going to win, he has to turn it into a borefest.

Yep.

Keep it at distance, grab hold of Usyk as he comes in, and lean on him. Easier said than done against a fighter with Usyk's movement.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #76131 on: May 16, 2024, 01:10:14 pm »
Fury on points vs Usyk stoppage. Can pretty much flip a coin to decide which one we see.

Going to be really interesting how they score this if it does go the distance. I'm assuming there will be rematch clauses etc regardless who wins so they need to keep the cards close.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76132 on: May 16, 2024, 01:12:44 pm »

Don't listen to Samie.

Get IPTV. Fuck paying those Saudi sportswashing c*nts a penny.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76133 on: May 16, 2024, 01:14:05 pm »
Meh. Exchanged one morally bankrupt city in a desert for another one. Only now the fights are at a watchable time.

Las Vegas is hardly comparable with the human rights atrocities being committed on a daily basis in Saudi Arabia now is it?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76134 on: May 16, 2024, 03:01:11 pm »
my bet is it's December.

His Excellency Turki Alalshikh has said they are hoping to reschedule Artur Beterbiev vs Dmitry Bivol for October or December, depending on Beterbiev's recovery from his injury.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76135 on: May 16, 2024, 03:22:45 pm »

My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online Lisan Al Gaib

• Anny Roader
  • Lead them to Paradise
« Reply #76136 on: May 16, 2024, 03:51:33 pm »
Don't listen to Samie.

Get IPTV. Fuck paying those Saudi sportswashing c*nts a penny.

Yeah that's the spirit! Step up onto the moral high ground of not giving your money to Saudi and break the law by giving your money to someone streaming it illegally themselves!

Online Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76137 on: May 16, 2024, 04:46:33 pm »
This fight is all about the range that the majority of the fight takes place at, Usyk is one of the best mid-range fighters I've ever seen, the likes of Joshua and Dubois were not able to clinch him due to underated power and brilliant footwork that continually rotates the wrong way for an opponent and offsets them.

Because Usyk is able to fight at this range with very good head movement on top, it drains the absolute fuck out of opponents when they cannot break up the action with clinches, with the opponent over working himself to keep throwing punches because Usyk is always in range, the Bellew fight was s great example of this, Bellew fought well but by the 7th he was exhausted from Usyk always being in range.

The key for Fury is to ensure that the majority of the fight is not fought at mid range, he has use his reach and jab at long range and step back, or follow his right hand through into repeated clinching in terms of stop start action, taking the flow and the rhythm out of Usyks fight.  If Usyks footwork is good enough to avoid this repeated clinching and leaning then hes onto a winner.  If he cant, then for the 1st time in his career, Usyk may become the tired one.  Whoever gets their way with the range its fought at wins imo, Fury needs to avoid mid range punch exchanges and make this ugly.

I think that's a fantastic bit of analysis there. Really good post.

Offline Anfield Kopite

• Will vote for anyone who gives out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76138 on: May 16, 2024, 04:54:32 pm »

Great post this. Very knowledgable.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76139 on: May 16, 2024, 04:55:21 pm »
He also wrestles in his spare time.

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #76140 on: May 16, 2024, 05:00:08 pm »
Fury's at his best coming in 19st + so we'll see what happens at the weigh in but I've thought for a while that Usyk wins this on points. Same as Loma he's always in range and mentally wears the opponent out with the non stop movement.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76141 on: May 16, 2024, 05:00:12 pm »
Yeah that's the spirit! Step up onto the moral high ground of not giving your money to Saudi and break the law by giving your money to someone streaming it illegally themselves!

Yeah Barney.  ;D
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76142 on: May 16, 2024, 05:02:08 pm »
I think he has to come in light because of the pace that Usyk will fight at for 12 rounds.  I don't think he's going to be able to blast Usyk out like he did Wilder because Usyk has a much better chin and better stamina.

This is a really interesting fight although it might be one for the purists, particularly if Fury wins I think it will be by making it a bit of a stinker.

I get that Lusty I really do but as Froch said he looks in great shape but he has lost lots of weight in a very short space of time and it may haunt him Saturday which makes for an interesting fight.

It’s abit like what Hatton did in his career and it does get to you at some point it might be this weekend but if he boxes on and fights good fighters he will come unstuck at some point due to the yo yo between weight.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76143 on: May 16, 2024, 05:04:52 pm »

Offline child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76144 on: May 16, 2024, 05:22:25 pm »
Tyson v Lewis was a fight between 2 all time great heavyweights.

It's a shame they only fought at a time when Tyson was already done.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76145 on: May 16, 2024, 05:44:15 pm »
It's a shame they only fought at a time when Tyson was already done.
Tyson was done before there was any realistic chance of the fight happening.  I don't think the result would have been any different in 1996 which is why Don King wasn't going to let it happen.  I think they always knew he'd lose to Holyfield as well but the money was there for that fight and it never really was for Lennox until a few years later.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76146 on: May 16, 2024, 09:32:36 pm »

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #76147 on: May 17, 2024, 09:41:52 am »
We are all Usyk in here aren't we?

Hope he sticks Fury on his arse.

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76148 on: May 17, 2024, 09:46:35 am »

I'd prefer to do the latter too. It's illegal but it's still the moral choice. We shouldn't confuse laws with morals.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 09:50:10 am by Peabee »
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Online Lisan Al Gaib

• Anny Roader
  • Lead them to Paradise
« Reply #76149 on: May 17, 2024, 10:06:28 am »
I'd prefer to do the latter too. It's illegal but it's still the moral choice. We shouldn't confuse laws with morals.

Breaking the law is still immoral. It was meant to be light hearted anyway.

https://twitter.com/Queensberry/status/1791186338512781440

What a dickhead Fury is.  ;D

I don't think the mind games will work with Usyk

We are all Usyk in here aren't we?

Hope he sticks Fury on his arse.

I'd hope so! Went to the first AJ fight at the Spurs stadium and he's an absolute master of his craft, he's definitely got the tools to win

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76150 on: May 17, 2024, 10:28:12 am »
I get that Lusty I really do but as Froch said he looks in great shape but he has lost lots of weight in a very short space of time and it may haunt him Saturday which makes for an interesting fight.

It’s abit like what Hatton did in his career and it does get to you at some point it might be this weekend but if he boxes on and fights good fighters he will come unstuck at some point due to the yo yo between weight.

Yep.  You can get away with it, when you're young and against lesser boxers.  Mid 30s and against a world class fighter, it could be difficult.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #76151 on: May 17, 2024, 11:17:14 am »
Breaking the law is still immoral. It was meant to be light hearted anyway.
Depends on the law, mate of mine got fined $380 and lost his license, because he held his phone, whilst STOPPED in traffic ,because as a sufferer of Chrohns disease he has a an app which constantly measure his bloods and alerts to any spikes.. it spike, he picked up and  looked at his phone. copper got him.. id say the law was immoral in this{and thousands of other} case
JFT 96

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76152 on: May 17, 2024, 11:23:36 am »
I was expecting this thread to go to shit over the weekend as it normally does for big fights, but I'll be honest I did not see the conversation about morality versus the law coming ;D

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76153 on: May 17, 2024, 11:44:31 am »
Hope Usyk does it.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76154 on: May 17, 2024, 11:45:30 am »

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76155 on: May 17, 2024, 01:36:52 pm »
I'm surprised this fight is actually happening, I thought Fury would duck it again.

Really hope Usyk wins for a multitude of reasons.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #76156 on: May 17, 2024, 02:05:10 pm »
Fury on points vs Usyk stoppage. Can pretty much flip a coin to decide which one we see.

That's a 2/1 shot versus 5/1.  ;D

Usyk doesn't have huge HW power really and Fury has a solid chin and great recovery. I'm going to have a bet on a draw or Usyk to win by DQ.

Fury coming in so light is an interesting one, hard to know who that benefits more.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76157 on: May 17, 2024, 02:33:41 pm »
I was expecting this thread to go to shit over the weekend as it normally does for big fights, but I'll be honest I did not see the conversation about morality versus the law coming ;D

RAWK is evolving mate.  ;D

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76158 on: May 17, 2024, 02:35:14 pm »
Watching it on the big fuck of tele in my uncle's house this card. My aunt is baking so much and making so much food, sometimes I envy you fuckers.   ;D

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76159 on: May 17, 2024, 02:37:29 pm »
Yeah Barney.  ;D

I've contacted my provider and told him to cut off my service. I should've known better.
I'm on a group call here to Sky Sports, BT, Amazon and DAZN asking them to rip me off to the tune of £200 a month to watch a bit of sport. I guess I may contact the BBC too and start paying my TV licence.  :D