Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 1259167 times)

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Believer
  • I am not!
Re: The NFL Thread
« Reply #51600 on: January 15, 2019, 10:21:01 AM »
I wouldn’t be surprised if Murray went in the first round.

He ought to do a Braxton Miller/Denard Robinson and make a good career that way. 

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Funk is the problem. And the solution.
« Reply #51601 on: January 15, 2019, 01:29:53 PM »
I wouldn’t be surprised if Murray went in the first round.

He ought to do a Braxton Miller/Denard Robinson and make a good career that way.

"Problem" being that Kyler has way more passing ability than those two combined.
http://youtu.be/BrOWKFGlWSY

Follow my indoor team on Instagram as we strive for mid-table glory: @thebillyrayjeters

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Believer
  • I am not!
« Reply #51602 on: January 15, 2019, 02:03:48 PM »
"Problem" being that Kyler has way more passing ability than those two combined.
It’s a quick passing system.

He completed only half of his passes against the only good Defense he came up against all year.

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Believer
  • I am not!
« Reply #51603 on: January 15, 2019, 02:04:50 PM »
Kiper -v- McShay in the NFL thread  ;D

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #51604 on: January 15, 2019, 02:32:57 PM »
It’s a quick passing system.

He completed only half of his passes against the only good Defense he came up against all year.

Riley runs one of, if not the most complex offense in all of college football. Requires the QB to make reads, go through his progressions and change plays/offensive line assignments before the snap. You appear to be under the incorrect impression that OU is running an old-fashioned Air Raid offense solely in the style of Mike Leach or Hal Mumme that relies mainly on bubble screens, slants and quick out routes.

And Alabama had an elite defense and it certainly wasn't the only good defense that Kyler faced all year.

Follow my indoor team on Instagram as we strive for mid-table glory: @thebillyrayjeters

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Believer
  • I am not!
« Reply #51605 on: January 15, 2019, 03:18:02 PM »
The most complex offense in college football  :o come on! It’s a tweaked version of the Air Raid offense developed during his time at Texas Tech then East Carolina while Shane Carden was quarterback.

The Big 12 has the worst Defenses in the country so we’ll just agree to disagree  ;D

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #51606 on: January 15, 2019, 04:30:20 PM »
The most complex offense in college football  :o come on! It’s a tweaked version of the Air Raid offense developed during his time at Texas Tech then East Carolina while Shane Carden was quarterback.

The Big 12 has the worst Defenses in the country so we’ll just agree to disagree  ;D

It is man, I'm not just talking out of my ass here. There's plenty of articles with analysis out there with how innovative and unique Riley's offense is and how the QB has to have mastery of the system. Additionally, the system he ran at ECU is a lot different than the one he's run at OU. Almost as if Riley is an offensive guru, gameplans to his available talent and strengths of his players and adapts and changes over time.  ;D

We may disagree on whether Kyler going to the NFL is smart or not or whether or not he will or won't make it and that's fine, but please don't compare him to players like Denard f'n Robinson. The only thing they have in common is they're both quick, black undersized quarterbacks. And it's a very lazy comparison.

Kyler's dad was a college quarterback and runs an elite QB school here in the Dallas area. Kyler was trained all his life to be a great passer and not just rely on his athletic abilities first and then develop as a passer later. He's put up mind boggling passing numbers his entire life. You don't do that with mediocre arm talent, like Robinson or Miller.

Sorry to the others for the Murray focus the last several pages. He's a truly unique talent that clearly divides opinion. Players that can make throws like the below (in an offense that has NFL franchises salivating) AND run a sub 4.4 40 don't come around very often.

http://www.espn.com/videohub/video/clip/_/id/25642261/categoryid/4823314
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 04:32:42 PM by Lone Star Red »

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Believer
  • I am not!
« Reply #51607 on: January 15, 2019, 04:33:17 PM »
Why do most scouts (I also think he’s a mid round developmental prospect at best), think he’ll be taken in the late 2nd-3rd round then if he’s such a ‘once in a generation’ quarterback?

I really don’t get the hype personally.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 04:35:34 PM by Trev20 »

Offline Antics

• Roadshow
  • Believer
  • This is what you'll get when you mess with us.
« Reply #51608 on: January 15, 2019, 04:41:11 PM »
I think hype is based off Baker’s success this year and the increasing proliferation of Riley-esque schemes performing well in the NFL.

Plus at this point in the year - whoever won the Heisman is going to have buzz, there will be more movement after the SB I’d guess.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #51609 on: January 15, 2019, 04:44:46 PM »
Why do most scouts (I also think he’s a mid round developmental prospect at best), think he’ll be taken in the late 2nd-3rd round then if he’s such a ‘once in a generation’ quarterback?

It's way too early to project where he (or many others) go at this point in time.

Mahomes was going to be a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick when he first declared. Mayfield was predicted to be a mid to late first round pick when he first declared.

My guess is that as he goes through interviews and workouts over the coming months and scouts and NFL personnel see his savvy, arm strength and ability, speed ,get to pick his brain and actually watch some film on him, he'll end up moving quite a bit higher up.

And at the end of the day, all it takes is one GM/team to fall in love with a player. And if a GM/team can somehow fall in love with Josh Allen to select him in the first round, then I truly believe anything is possible.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #51610 on: January 15, 2019, 04:47:52 PM »

Because it's his size and NFL teams are dumb.

If he's 6'1 205 pounds, he's a lock for the first QB off the board and it's not even close.

The fact that he's 5'10 195 pounds throws a wrench into the simple minds of these scouts and GM's. Hurr durr, he's not 6'5 230 pounds, HE JUST CAN'T POSSIBLY MAKE IT.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #51611 on: January 15, 2019, 04:58:48 PM »
Get it young fella!

No offense - he's not even in the same ballpark as Mayfield - he will get paid but it's really really hard to see him as a big time NFL QB.

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Believer
  • I am not!
« Reply #51612 on: January 15, 2019, 05:26:01 PM »
Josh Allen had the best arm in a strong quartback class last year.

Kyler Murray isn’t even the best QB available in one of the weakest draft classes for QB’s in the recent history of the NFL annual player selection meeting.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #51613 on: January 15, 2019, 05:53:51 PM »
No offense - he's not even in the same ballpark as Mayfield - he will get paid but it's really really hard to see him as a big time NFL QB.

None taken!

As I've stated previously in this thread, I'm not near as certain that Kyler will make it in the NFL as I was with Baker. Mainly for two reasons:

1) Baker had a lot more experience at the college level and that counts for a lot in my eyes. Baker had more than three times as many starts in college as Kyler did and threw nearly 1,000 more attempts than Kyler did in college. Kyler is definitely more on the raw side than the polished side in terms of experience and I think he could benefit hugely from sitting out at least a year and learning/adapting under a veteran QB. Regardless, I think he will struggle more obviously than Baker did as a young QB in the league.

2) Size. Kyler won't have a problem seeing over an NFL offensive line but I do worry about his durability with taking hits from NFL defenders. The one thing he has going for him in this area of concern is that the NFL has done and is doing all it can to over-protect QB's from injury. It's still a concern but near as much as it would've been 5-10 years ago.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 05:56:17 PM by Lone Star Red »

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #51614 on: January 15, 2019, 06:47:19 PM »
And I think someone noted - he can always go back and try to play baseball after a few years if it doesn't work out.

Offline RedG13

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #51615 on: January 15, 2019, 06:48:19 PM »
Josh Allen had the best arm in a strong quartback class last year.

Kyler Murray isn’t even the best QB available in one of the weakest draft classes for QB’s in the recent history of the NFL annual player selection meeting.
murray has no problem throwing downfield did you watch the bama vs ou. He threw over the best free stafey in the nfl draft on the run which was also across his body.

Allen had the strongest arm not the best passer huge difference. If can hit constantly it 15-20 yard outs the far hash that will tell me more an qb am strength with accuracy then throwing 60 plus in shorts

Offline RedG13

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #51616 on: January 15, 2019, 06:49:53 PM »
None taken!

As I've stated previously in this thread, I'm not near as certain that Kyler will make it in the NFL as I was with Baker. Mainly for two reasons:

1) Baker had a lot more experience at the college level and that counts for a lot in my eyes. Baker had more than three times as many starts in college as Kyler did and threw nearly 1,000 more attempts than Kyler did in college. Kyler is definitely more on the raw side than the polished side in terms of experience and I think he could benefit hugely from sitting out at least a year and learning/adapting under a veteran QB. Regardless, I think he will struggle more obviously than Baker did as a young QB in the league.

2) Size. Kyler won't have a problem seeing over an NFL offensive line but I do worry about his durability with taking hits from NFL defenders. The one thing he has going for him in this area of concern is that the NFL has done and is doing all it can to over-protect QB's from injury. It's still a concern but near as much as it would've been 5-10 years ago.
On the second part you do know he entering his 17th playing football. Also qb normally get hurt more inside the pocket then outside in the nfl. Im not super worried about his size.

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Believer
  • I am not!
« Reply #51617 on: January 15, 2019, 07:51:11 PM »
murray has no problem throwing downfield did you watch the bama vs ou. He threw over the best free stafey in the nfl draft on the run which was also across his body.

Allen had the strongest arm not the best passer huge difference. If can hit constantly it 15-20 yard outs the far hash that will tell me more an qb am strength with accuracy then throwing 60 plus in shorts
Yes I know! I said Josh Rosen was the best pure passer in last years draft if you’d read the previous page of this thread  ;D

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #51618 on: January 15, 2019, 08:12:04 PM »
Yes I know! I said Josh Rosen was the best pure passer in last years draft if you’d read the previous page of this thread  ;D

I think his point is that arm strength means jack if the rest of your game is shit, like Allen's.  ;)

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Believer
  • I am not!
« Reply #51619 on: January 15, 2019, 08:44:44 PM »
I think his point is that arm strength means jack if the rest of your game is shit, like Allen's.  ;)
Josh Allen is very raw but is a better prospect than Kyler Murray in my opinion.

Josh Allen had such little talent around him aside from an on-off LeSean McCoy.

Offline deFacto

• farKnow
  • Believer