Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3513922 times)

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #50120 on: August 9, 2019, 03:24:45 pm »
They were masterpieces by comparison.

I'll still go watch it though :-X

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #50121 on: August 9, 2019, 04:34:34 pm »
Watched an Indian film yesterday called " Photograph", a bit of a slow burner but really well made and the two main actors were brilliant.

https://variety.com/2019/film/reviews/photograph-review-1203119640/
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50122 on: August 9, 2019, 04:54:21 pm »
I'll still go watch it though :-X

Your funeral.

I also watched I Am Mother on Netflix recently. It's a pretty decent sci-fi flick that came out a few months ago that I completely missed at the time, about a girl who's raised by a robot after a virus wipes out the earth. Definitely worth a watch.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50123 on: August 9, 2019, 05:52:19 pm »
I also watched I Am Mother on Netflix recently. It's a pretty decent sci-fi flick that came out a few months ago that I completely missed at the time, about a girl who's raised by a robot after a virus wipes out the earth. Definitely worth a watch.
I've been eyeballing that one. You've convinced me to watch it. Thanks.

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #50124 on: August 9, 2019, 11:19:17 pm »
N64 controller, the man has great taste.

But does he hold it correctly?
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #50125 on: August 10, 2019, 09:34:11 am »
I watched Aladdin last night and to my shock I really enjoyed it a lot better than I though it was going to be.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50126 on: August 11, 2019, 03:13:41 pm »
Was bloody great.

Saw The Wailing last night and I'm probably on my own here but I didn't like it at all. Insufferably long and boring, no performances stood out and the male lead did my head in. Till we reach the end (where the supposed good part is) and we see the symbolism 'unraveled' which has been played a million times before and it's too late by now to impress.

I watched it last year when it was out here in Australia. I did enjoy it at the cinema, it was more than OK. It is definitely too long. I'd have to see it again but you could chalk off half an hour, and you've got something great I reckon. Had some good sequences and some good moments, but like you say - by the end it's too late. I thought it was ambitious enough though, and I'll always like a movie more for trying something and not quite reaching it then playing it too safe.

The Wailing (2016) is the 3rd movie from director Hong-jin Na.  His debut movie 'The Chaser' is one of the best thrillers I've ever seen so I really wanted to watch more of his work.

I can't seem to find his follow up movie 'The Yellow Sea' anywhere so I watched 'The Wailing' (His 3rd Movie) over the weekend instead.

I really wanted to love it, but as you guys elude to, it really did start to drag. It's much too long and 120 mins would have been enough.  As usual with most Korean movies, the cinematography and atmosphere were magnificent and the acting performances were pretty much on point in my opinion (especially the young daughter and Japanese man). So not total disappointment

I suppose I'm not a massive fan of the Supernatural or occult thrillers with religious undertones and symbolism. So I may naturally feel a bit underwhelmed.

Plus its got one of those "interpret as you feel fit" endings, and that comes straight from the directors mouth.

Critics and reviewers absolutely rave about this movie so I suppose its just us. 

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50127 on: August 12, 2019, 01:43:01 am »
Watched an Indian film yesterday called " Photograph", a bit of a slow burner but really well made and the two main actors were brilliant.

https://variety.com/2019/film/reviews/photograph-review-1203119640/

Nice film, the actor is Nawazuddin Siddiqui. Watch Sacred Games which is a superb series on Netflix.

Also highly recommend the director's other film The Lunchbox, which also stars Nawaz and Irfan Khan, two of India's finest actors.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 01:45:01 am by Geppvindh's »

Online moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #50128 on: August 12, 2019, 09:17:46 pm »
Was lucky enough to be able to see Once Upon A Time In Hollywood at Cinerama in Hollywood late last week. I don't think I've ever watched a film in a cinema that featured in that film before, quite a scenario. Although Tarantino seems to split opinion in here, I once again have to say how brilliant this was. Absolutely incredible recreations of 60s LA, even down to great freeway shots of traffic and buildings which just left me puzzled as to how they had created it. The Manson Family ,Bruce Lee, Sharon Tate and the Playboy mansion all feature to great effect . Brad Pitt is outstanding, Leonardo DiCaprio too but the set design and cinematography win the day for me. I loved it and the ending is out of this world exciting and special mention for Brads dog. I won't say much more until others have seen it, but Quentin has knocked It out of the park again as they say in the city of angels.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50129 on: August 12, 2019, 09:26:59 pm »
Cheers Moondog

Booked in to watch it on IMAX Friday night

Can’t wait

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50130 on: August 13, 2019, 09:08:51 pm »
A couple of days late but five years since we lost Robin Williams.

Such a loss.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50131 on: August 14, 2019, 12:04:05 am »
Just back from 'Apocalypse Now: Final Cut' and Oh my days what an incredible experience.  I was 9 in 1979 so never seen it on the big screen.

I've always loved the movie anyway but this was just something else.  A genius depiction of one crazy ass war.

The whole section of the movie from start to finish that features Lt Col Kilgore (Bobby Duval) and the helicopter raids, Napalm Strikes and surfing soldiers was absolutely magnificent film-making and needs to be seen on the big screen in 4K with walloping audio. Hairs on the back of the neck stuff.

A cinematic experience I will never forget and on a par with when I watched Pulp Fiction in 1994.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #50132 on: August 14, 2019, 02:48:15 am »
Really enjoyed Rocketman remind me of how they used to make these type of films like Tommy.

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #50133 on: August 14, 2019, 02:56:27 am »
Just back from 'Apocalypse Now: Final Cut' and Oh my days what an incredible experience.  I was 9 in 1979 so never seen it on the big screen.

I've always loved the movie anyway but this was just something else.  A genius depiction of one crazy ass war.

The whole section of the movie from start to finish that features Lt Col Kilgore (Bobby Duval) and the helicopter raids, Napalm Strikes and surfing soldiers was absolutely magnificent film-making and needs to be seen on the big screen in 4K with walloping audio. Hairs on the back of the neck stuff.

A cinematic experience I will never forget and on a par with when I watched Pulp Fiction in 1994.

I remember watching the film at the cinema just before I started going out with Tracy totally amazing and after we started to go out it was re-released, and we went to see it, and she couldn't understand why at the end I got all excited the film was the same apart from the ending in this version over the end titles bombers came in and destroyed Kurtz camp that didn't happen in the first version I watched it was the first time ever I gad seen a different cut of a film. 

And I have never seen that version of the film since.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 03:03:57 am by Trada »

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50134 on: August 14, 2019, 09:55:41 am »
I remember watching the film at the cinema just before I started going out with Tracy totally amazing and after we started to go out it was re-released, and we went to see it, and she couldn't understand why at the end I got all excited the film was the same apart from the ending in this version over the end titles bombers came in and destroyed Kurtz camp that didn't happen in the first version I watched it was the first time ever I gad seen a different cut of a film. 

And I have never seen that version of the film since.

Well that's interesting mate as I haven't seen the 'Redux' version which was released in 2001. I assume this is the one you saw?  Did you get the extra scene with the French plantation owners that Willard came across just before he went up river to Kurtz camp?

The final cut I watched last night did not show Kurtz camp getting bombed at the end.  Willard is back on the patrol boat after killing Kurtz and bomber command are trying to contact him on the radio,  instead of passing the camp coordinates, Willard just turns the radio off. THE END. 

In fact sorry to do this to you Trada but Willard never did call in a airstrike on any versions:

From WIKI:

There have been, to date, many variations of the end credit sequence, beginning with the 35mm general release version, where Coppola elected to show the credits superimposed over shots of the jungle exploding into flames.

Later when Coppola heard that audiences interpreted this as an air strike called by Willard, Coppola pulled the film from its 35 mm run and put credits on a black screen. However, the "air strike" footage continued to circulate in repertory theatres well into the 1980s, and it was included in the 1980s LaserDisc release. In the DVD commentary, Coppola explains that the images of explosions had not been intended to be part of the story; they were intended to be seen as completely separate from the film. He had added the explosions to the credits as a graphic background to the credits

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #50135 on: August 14, 2019, 12:08:48 pm »
Well that's interesting mate as I haven't seen the 'Redux' version which was released in 2001. I assume this is the one you saw?  Did you get the extra scene with the French plantation owners that Willard came across just before he went up river to Kurtz camp?

The final cut I watched last night did not show Kurtz camp getting bombed at the end.  Willard is back on the patrol boat after killing Kurtz and bomber command are trying to contact him on the radio,  instead of passing the camp coordinates, Willard just turns the radio off. THE END. 

In fact sorry to do this to you Trada but Willard never did call in a airstrike on any versions:

From WIKI:

There have been, to date, many variations of the end credit sequence, beginning with the 35mm general release version, where Coppola elected to show the credits superimposed over shots of the jungle exploding into flames.

Later when Coppola heard that audiences interpreted this as an air strike called by Willard, Coppola pulled the film from its 35 mm run and put credits on a black screen. However, the "air strike" footage continued to circulate in repertory theatres well into the 1980s, and it was included in the 1980s LaserDisc release. In the DVD commentary, Coppola explains that the images of explosions had not been intended to be part of the story; they were intended to be seen as completely separate from the film. He had added the explosions to the credits as a graphic background to the credits

No this was many years before the redux the early 80's.

And in the version I saw an airstrike hit and you saw the temples etc blowing up.

I say airstrike I guess thats what it was with the temples blowing up like that.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 01:24:18 pm by Trada »

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50136 on: August 14, 2019, 01:37:47 pm »
No this was many years before the redux the early 80's.

And in the version I saw an airstrike hit and you saw the temples etc blowing up.

I say airstrike I guess thats what it was with the temples blowing up like that.

Wow ok. I need to see that version!!!  I'm gonna try find it

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50137 on: August 14, 2019, 01:53:34 pm »
Trada - Some discussion around the ending in the link below and there are many like you who saw the end in the late 70's early 80's and agree that it certainly looked like Willard had called the airstrike on the compound.

FFC states implicitly on DVD commentary that Willard didn't call the airstrike on Kurtz camp and the shots that were seen at the credits were just a general commentary on the horrors of war at the end of the movie.  But its common knowledge Coppola was really struggling on deciding how to end the movie and lots of people still follow your line of thought.

I personally go with Willard shutting the radio off and leaving on the boat but each to there own here as I suppose it depends which version you saw and when the credits rolled.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ambiguous-end-to-apocalypse-now.386409/

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50138 on: August 14, 2019, 04:47:06 pm »
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood... fucking amazing. Very atmospheric, brilliant performances (especially from Brad Pitt, definitely my favourite performance from him that I've seen and one of - if not the - coolest Tarantino characters), hilarious at times, and incredibly tense at points throughout.

Spoiler
DiCaprio walking out during the climax with the flamethrower was the hardest I've ever laughed at the pictures, caught me completely off guard.
[close]

Loved it, will definitely be heading back to see it a second time.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #50139 on: August 14, 2019, 04:49:15 pm »
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood... fucking amazing. Very atmospheric, brilliant performances (especially from Brad Pitt, definitely my favourite performance from him that I've seen and one of - if not the - coolest Tarantino characters), hilarious at times, and incredibly tense at points throughout.

Spoiler
DiCaprio walking out during the climax with the flamethrower was the hardest I've ever laughed at the pictures, caught me completely off guard.
[close]

Loved it, will definitely be heading back to see it a second time.
Ok...

When you say the coolest of Tarantino characters...I’m worried that this means I will hate it.

I tend not to find his characters cool, just irradiating and unreal pastiches..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50140 on: August 14, 2019, 04:51:16 pm »
Ok...

When you say the coolest of Tarantino characters...I’m worried that this means I will hate it.

I tend not to find his characters cool, just irradiating and unreal pastiches..

If you don't like his characters why on earth are you going to watch it?

Seriously?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50141 on: August 14, 2019, 04:55:30 pm »
If you don't like his characters why on earth are you going to watch it?

Seriously?
I probably won’t ... but the reviews have been really good so I should ;D...

But I think Joe Cole just put me off.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50142 on: August 14, 2019, 05:18:31 pm »
Those who enjoy Martial Arts pure shit kicker action movies such as 'The Raid' and 'John Wick' then you should really check out 'The Night Comes For Us (2018)'

Ignore the cheesy straight to DVD title as this is a fucking ace move if you like polished fighting action movies with tons of finishing moves and no holes barred violence.  Anything that comes to hand during a fight these guys use it to fuck people up and it makes for some great sequences and set-pieces.

It features the old movie trope of ex-gangster goes straight and protects little kid from legions of marauding Jakarta based Triads. But its still quite a good little story to be fair.

There's an absolutely brilliant fight sequence between 3 female characters and they are all bad-asses.  Not just there to look pretty or to tick equality boxes.  They really do add to the movie.

Like The Raid it's also Indonesian and stars both Iko Uwais and Joe Taslim, also from The Raid.

88% on RT and is available on Netflix.

I'm going to watch the directors next movie 'Headshot' tonight before the match.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50143 on: August 14, 2019, 05:58:30 pm »
I realized I hadn't ever watched any of the Sharknado's, after about 25 minutes I realized why.

Online moondog

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #50144 on: August 14, 2019, 06:10:26 pm »
I probably won’t ... but the reviews have been really good so I should ;D...

But I think Joe Cole just put me off.

Do not be put off by anyone, it is superb. Also do not press that spoiler.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50145 on: August 14, 2019, 06:11:26 pm »
I realized I hadn't ever watched any of the Sharknado's, after about 25 minutes I realized why.

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=343077.0
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50146 on: August 14, 2019, 06:17:40 pm »

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #50147 on: August 15, 2019, 01:10:16 am »
Once upon a time in Hollywood was shite, the last 30 minutes were fantastic but the rest of the movie was a slow drag.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #50148 on: August 15, 2019, 01:23:26 am »
Once Upon a time in Hollywood was great, loved it.

Everyone was great, but Brad Pitt stood out for me, really great.

Bit of an artsy film, a bit like 'Hail, Caesar!' - critically loved, but some people won't care for it, because the 'plot' is a bit unimportant, and doesn't take prevalence at all.

I mean it's Tarantino, so you know what to expect, and whether you'll like it or not, but I will say other than Jackie Brown this is maybe his most mature, and most unTarantino film of his I've seen.

Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50149 on: August 15, 2019, 07:12:39 am »
Does it have anyone using the word mutherfucka repeatedly?
W

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50150 on: August 15, 2019, 10:07:01 am »
Does it have anyone using the word mutherfucka repeatedly?

Or the N word?

Online moondog

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #50151 on: August 15, 2019, 11:12:17 am »
No mention of either from what I remember. All the better without them too.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #50152 on: August 15, 2019, 11:18:31 am »
Or the N word?

As far as I can recall it doesn't use either, but definitely deserves its 18 rating though.
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #50153 on: August 15, 2019, 11:50:58 am »
I'm saying it, John Wick 3 was shite! Absolutely nothing left in the tank at all. Hope KR doesn't do a 4th one!

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50154 on: August 15, 2019, 12:36:47 pm »
As far as I can recall it doesn't use either, but definitely deserves its 18 rating though.

What swear words does it feature mate just so I know if i should avoid it or not?

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50155 on: August 15, 2019, 02:07:56 pm »
I'm saying it, John Wick 3 was shite! Absolutely nothing left in the tank at all. Hope KR doesn't do a 4th one!

I know what you mean, some of the set pieces were amazing but there's a long list of stuff that bothered me. The first film was pretty economical with what it showed and despite being over the top still felt quite authentic (an experienced assassin could probably nitpick I guess). The second one stretched things a bit but this was just way too self indulgent.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50156 on: August 15, 2019, 03:57:11 pm »

On a second watch I realized it went beyond John Wick trucking guys and became a ninja-fest. Which is fine but not what I signed up for.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online moondog

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #50157 on: August 15, 2019, 04:42:55 pm »
What swear words does it feature mate just so I know if i should avoid it or not?

I think someone says shit , don't know if that is enough to put you off, but you will definitely exclaim Fucking Hell at the ending. So might want to leave the kids at home, my 15 year old was buzzing at being allowed in cos we were in the US.  Don't believe talk putting the first hour down unless you have the attention span of a 9 year old, it's building to a mammoth climax.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50158 on: August 15, 2019, 04:53:27 pm »

I think someone says shit , don't know if that is enough to put you off, but you will definitely exclaim Fucking Hell at the ending. So might want to leave the kids at home, my 15 year old was buzzing at being allowed in cos we were in the US.  Don't believe talk putting the first hour down unless you have the attention span of a 9 year old, it's building to a mammoth climax.

I'd be more happy with 'shoot' or 'sugar' to be honest so I'm gonna give it a miss and watch Toy Story 4 instead.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #50159 on: August 15, 2019, 04:56:23 pm »
I'd be more happy with 'shoot' or 'sugar' to be honest so I'm gonna give it a miss and watch Toy Story 4 instead.

Are you using more than one pole, or a massive, weighted net?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...