Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3514030 times)

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #50280 on: September 10, 2019, 12:43:13 am »
Sign of a good film, though. Especially when it's sci-fi. If you come away from it asking questions and thinking about it afterwards. Unless it's Prometheus, in which case the questions are mostly about the shite plot and characters.

The questions surrounding the Sci-Fi elements I can handle and quite enjoyed.  The premise of the movie was good and how the shimmer was mutating DNA, the manipulation of genetics etc.

I think the questions I was seriously asking myself were the motivations for the women going into the Shimmer in the first place.  Also, how come a placid group of scholars that included a Biologist, geomorphologist, Physicist and Psychologist were dressed in fatigues and casually toting M4A1 carbines normally used by Special Operations forces.

You say Prometheus had shite plot and characters.  I can't say the characters in Annihilation were the most interesting I've every watched in a movie. Didn't care one jot for any of them and can't believe you did either Mac.

Top film. That and whiplash are a couple of my favourites from the last few years

Yep, unlike some of the average stuff I've watched recently (see above)

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50281 on: September 10, 2019, 01:08:52 am »
The questions surrounding the Sci-Fi elements I can handle and quite enjoyed.  The premise of the movie was good and how the shimmer was mutating DNA, the manipulation of genetics etc.

I think the questions I was seriously asking myself were the motivations for the women going into the Shimmer in the first place.  Also, how come a placid group of scholars that included a Biologist, geomorphologist, Physicist and Psychologist were dressed in fatigues and casually toting M4A1 carbines normally used by Special Operations forces.

You say Prometheus had shite plot and characters.  I can't say the characters in Annihilation were the most interesting I've every watched in a movie. Didn't care one jot for any of them and can't believe you did either Mac.

Yep, unlike some of the average stuff I've watched recently (see above)
The whole mystery and ambiguity of 'The Shimmer' was the star of the show. That and the kind of effects it had on whoever went inside it. Sometimes it's best to just leave things as they are and not focus too much or try to hard to place character motivations or depth on something like this. Sometimes things are just better off left unexplained, and that's the thing Ridley Scott just didn't understand in what made Alien so compelling to begin with. Annihilation gets that right. We really don't need to know too much about each individual at all. We don't even have to care about them. Their descent into whatever madness they are driven to inside the Shimmer is enough. The end result is what mattered. Not all that dissimilar to something like Invasion of the Body Snatchers. As for the reasons why they went in, and why they were all female, I thought that was obvious. They'd sent in teams that never returned, and they were all male. The camp set up to monitor the Shimmer was also a training camp to prepare scientists to go in, because, really, that's what was required and not a military operation. I just took them having guns as something to give them a false sense of security going into what they knew was something alien and unknown.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 01:12:59 am by Macphisto80 »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #50282 on: September 10, 2019, 06:58:00 am »
The Predator (2018) - Complete and utter tripe. I couldn't find a single redeeming thing to like about it. Everything about it was horrendous and I wonder who the hell greenlit it. I've rated 427 films on IMDB so far and this is the first time I've given a 1/10.

My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50283 on: September 10, 2019, 09:02:23 am »
As for the reasons why they went in, and why they were all female, I thought that was obvious. They'd sent in teams that never returned, and they were all male.

Good Point about the Male teams :)

I was talking about the motivations of the women to go into the Shimmer.  OK the young girl was a self-harmer, one had cancer, one an addict and 1 had lost her daughter to Leukaemia.  It was all just a bit contrived and their motivations were never explored or expanded on.  You might say it doesn't matter but I wanted the characters fleshing out just a little bit.

On reflection I did quite enjoy it to be fair.  I've been thinking about it on and off all night and morning actually so it must have had some effect on me.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50284 on: September 10, 2019, 09:10:26 am »
Can anyone who has watched Us explain to me...

Spoiler
How the original Adelaide seems completely oblivious to the fact that she was the original Adelaide before going into the house of mirrors as a kid? I really enjoyed the film, but the twist at the end doesn't seem to make sense. Are we meant to think that she just went crazy and had no recollection of how she ended up down there?
[close]
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50285 on: September 10, 2019, 10:01:29 am »

I was talking about the motivations of the women to go into the Shimmer.  OK the young girl was a self-harmer, one had cancer, one an addict and 1 had lost her daughter to Leukaemia.  It was all just a bit contrived and their motivations were never explored or expanded on.  You might say it doesn't matter but I wanted the characters fleshing out just a little bit.

On reflection I did quite enjoy it to be fair.  I've been thinking about it on and off all night and morning actually so it must have had some effect on me.

The shimmer was growing, the concern was that the longer it continued the harder it would be to get to the centre and find the cause, and eventually it would cover the earth.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50286 on: September 10, 2019, 10:07:52 am »
Can anyone who has watched Us explain to me...

Spoiler
How the original Adelaide seems completely oblivious to the fact that she was the original Adelaide before going into the house of mirrors as a kid? I really enjoyed the film, but the twist at the end doesn't seem to make sense. Are we meant to think that she just went crazy and had no recollection of how she ended up down there?
[close]

Spoiler
When you say the "original Adelaide" you mean Red (the lady with the raspy voice)

I'd say she was totally aware of what had happened back in 1986 and was naturally pissed off at being condemned to living underground for 20+ years.  I thought the whole story was based on revenge?
[close]

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50287 on: September 10, 2019, 10:31:39 am »
Spoiler
When you say the "original Adelaide" you mean Red (the lady with the raspy voice)

I'd say she was totally aware of what had happened back in 1986 and was naturally pissed off at being condemned to living underground for 20+ years.  I thought the whole story was based on revenge?
[close]

Spoiler
Yes, Red. I guess your response is kind of my point - I agree that she should be totally aware, but then her two monologues don't really point to that being the case. I think I just needed the monologues to be clearer if she did know (albeit I recognise that would have been difficult to do without it revealing the truth before the final twist). Maybe just a loose line like "you know what you did" or something would have sufficed!

If she does know then it is based on revenge, but if she doesn't know then the movie can still be explained as it being an uprising.
[close]
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 10:34:12 am by LovelyCushionedHeader »
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50288 on: September 10, 2019, 10:50:16 am »
Spoiler
Yes, Red. I guess your response is kind of my point - I agree that she should be totally aware, but then her two monologues don't really point to that being the case. I think I just needed the monologues to be clearer if she did know (albeit I recognise that would have been difficult to do without it revealing the truth before the final twist). Maybe just a loose line like "you know what you did" or something would have sufficed!

If she does know then it is based on revenge, but if she doesn't know then the movie can still be explained as it being an uprising.
[close]

Spoiler
As Red was the only person (as far as we know) who knew about the outside world (above ground).  I'd say it was both an uprising led by Red and to also seek revenge on the clone that stole her identity in 1986

Also Red does allude to knowing in her monologue - Red tells them a story about a girl and her shadow. The girl had a good life where she could choose things for herself, but the shadow lived a pale imitation of that life, being forced to copy the girl's actions against her will
[close]

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50289 on: September 10, 2019, 11:10:43 am »
Spoiler
As Red was the only person (as far as we know) who knew about the outside world (above ground).  I'd say it was both an uprising led by Red and to also seek revenge on the clone that stole her identity in 1986

Also Red does allude to knowing in her monologue - Red tells them a story about a girl and her shadow. The girl had a good life where she could choose things for herself, but the shadow lived a pale imitation of that life, being forced to copy the girl's actions against her will
[close]

Spoiler
To me, that line comes across as her thinking she was the one underground (or the shadow) the whole time, seemingly oblivious to what her life was like pre house of mirrors
[close]

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50290 on: September 10, 2019, 03:15:55 pm »

Those little small details about the character motivations where just enough, and they were the things that ended up cluing you in as to what kind of effect the Shimmer had on living things. Anything more, and it probably would have ended up being too confusing as to miss the point. The deepest character was Portman's, and she only really ended up being nothing more than a framing device for some of the more overreaching philosophical stuff, especially in regards to the ending.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50291 on: September 10, 2019, 03:23:55 pm »
Those little small details about the character motivations where just enough, and they were the things that ended up cluing you in as to what kind of effect the Shimmer had on living things. Anything more, and it probably would have ended up being too confusing as to miss the point. The deepest character was Portman's, and she only really ended up being nothing more than a framing device for some of the more overreaching philosophical stuff, especially in regards to the ending.

I don't know if your a gamer but there is a critically acclaimed action/adventure game called "The Last of us".  As the team were exploring the land within the shimmer, It reminded me so much of that game. 

Probably just me but the post apocalyptic wilderness of colour and abandoned locations were very similar

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50292 on: September 10, 2019, 04:06:59 pm »
I don't know if your a gamer but there is a critically acclaimed action/adventure game called "The Last of us".  As the team were exploring the land within the shimmer, It reminded me so much of that game. 

Probably just me but the post apocalyptic wilderness of colour and abandoned locations were very similar
Yeah, I've played that. The Girl with All the Gifts actually reminded me most of that. Even right down to the actual plot, which was very similar. If there ever is a LoU film, it'll already be too late, because it'll practically be the same film.

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50293 on: September 10, 2019, 11:29:53 pm »
Hanks is right up there as one of the greats.

Not counting his 2 Oscars but his body of work from all genres, from children's movies to comedies/Rom Coms, Drama , and the family feel good movies.

Not many actors/actresses in Hollywood have that type of body of work.

His turn in Captain Phillips is just incredible.

Online gerrardsarmy

• Wouldn't say no to a spanking
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50294 on: September 11, 2019, 05:32:46 am »
Slight step back in time, but watching The Crying Game for the first time in a few years and.... How was that a surprise?

I saw The Crying Game for the first time ever just this year and have to agree.
“I always think that there’s something unpleasant lurking in people who avoid drinking, gambling, table-talk and pretty women. People like that are either sick or secretly hate their fellow-men.”

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50295 on: September 11, 2019, 08:19:06 am »
Slight step back in time, but watching The Crying Game for the first time in a few years and.... How was that a surprise?

It was 1992. Not really a plot line someone would have expected in a major film when the likes of The Bodyguard, A Few Good Men, Unforgiven and The Last of the Mohicans were the blockbuster films of that year.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #50296 on: September 11, 2019, 08:26:48 am »
I suppose it is incredible how quickly times have changed. My friend who'd never seen it before guessed it from the barbers scene.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50297 on: September 11, 2019, 07:44:36 pm »
Forrest Whitaker's acting in The Crying Game comes across like he's acting in an SNL skit. He's laughably shite in that.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #50298 on: September 12, 2019, 11:43:04 am »
And even some women in amongst that lot as well?

Saw it last night, and it was a bona fide turd. Definitely wait for it to pop up, because it's not worth the price of admission.

It's also a very bloody long, very repetitive movie. In many ways it feels like the exact same formula as Part I, but with half the charm because you've already seen them all do the exact same things over and over, across the two movies, and then repeatedly in this one.

As well as spamming you with the same horror notes, the emotional notes across the two films are also largely the same, along with the resolution.

So I guess what I'm saying is, if you really want to see the kids in IT all grown up doing largely the same shit on a different day, this might be your movie.

Think I liked it more than you did, but can't argue.

Basically a rehash of the first part, but without the charm of the child actors who brought that to life. A bunch of people in their late forties running about shouting over each other like the Goonies, and they seem to have left out the big scares. The first one had some excellent jump scare moments, and OK it's a cheap way to do horror, but the first one elevated that to an art form, the bit with the projector was one of the best jump scares I can remember, but I can't even think of one such moment in part 2, and I only watched it last night.

I do like the fact they made a running gag about "shitty endings" and even got Stephen King himself in on the joke, but yeah, disappointing experience overall.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 01:08:28 pm by Titi Camara »
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50299 on: September 12, 2019, 11:45:00 am »

The book is much better, but makes even less sense.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50300 on: September 12, 2019, 12:05:48 pm »
The book is much better, but makes even less sense.

Can't imagine that would be high on my reading list to be honest.  Then again I am not massively into Sci-Fi so obviously wouldn't enjoy it as much as others.

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50301 on: September 12, 2019, 02:50:47 pm »
Saw Stan & Ollie yesterday. Such a thoughtful and moving film, I thought Coogan and Reilly were magnificent and you could really feel it was made with such a love and reverence for the original Stan & Ollie.

One of the greatest ever. Nobody will ever have more stone cold hits than Hanks again.

After watching Castaway the other day, it prompted a similar discussion with the missus, that if you had to pick one actor’s films to watch forever then it would have to be him.. I know to most Castaway probably wouldn’t even feature in their top 10 of his but it’s one I love because of how impressive he is on screen whilst not doing much. Even though he frequently plays the same character ;D
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 03:04:27 pm by OneTouchFooty »

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #50302 on: September 12, 2019, 03:33:21 pm »
One of the greatest ever. Nobody will ever have more stone cold hits than Hanks again.

Greatest Hanks movie: Bachelor Party... :wave
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50303 on: September 12, 2019, 03:46:36 pm »
After watching Castaway the other day, it prompted a similar discussion with the missus, that if you had to pick one actor’s films to watch forever then it would have to be him..

I think for me he'd be nowhere in the discussion, because he so frequently plays the same man. I know that's a massive oversimplification, and unfair, but I don't really feel like there's much diversity in his roles.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50304 on: September 12, 2019, 03:53:13 pm »
I think for me he'd be nowhere in the discussion, because he so frequently plays the same man. I know that's a massive oversimplification, and unfair, but I don't really feel like there's much diversity in his roles.

Every actor who reaches a certain level ends up having parts written for them, in their voice. I think it was Christopher Walken who said every time he'd see a script that would be new and unique, he'd take the role and then the finished script would be Walken-ized.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50305 on: September 12, 2019, 04:33:18 pm »

That’s fair and I said it myself, though I was considering his collection of films rather than solely the actor.. though now I’m thinking about it I feel I made a hasty decision. There’s few big time Hollywood actors out that really diversify every role and challenge themselves. Though Gary Oldman & Fassbender spring to mind.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 04:37:51 pm by OneTouchFooty »

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50306 on: September 13, 2019, 12:34:33 am »
Watched the Equalizer tonight.

Nothing like a bit of Denzel shooting Russian Shits with a nail gun. :)

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #50307 on: September 13, 2019, 05:48:43 am »
Think I liked it more than you did, but can't argue.

Basically a rehash of the first part, but without the charm of the child actors who brought that to life. A bunch of people in their late forties running about shouting over each other like the Goonies, and they seem to have left out the big scares. The first one had some excellent jump scare moments, and OK it's a cheap way to do horror, but the first one elevated that to an art form, the bit with the projector was one of the best jump scares I can remember, but I can't even think of one such moment in part 2, and I only watched it last night.

I do like the fact they made a running gag about "shitty endings" and even got Stephen King himself in on the joke, but yeah, disappointing experience overall.

I feel like it should have been better, given the quality of the cast. But the writing was very much phoned in.

There's a certain kind of magic in the best Stephen King adaptations that transcends horror, and cuts through to something more profound and human. Stand By Me is a good example of that, as is Carrie and to an extent the first It from a couple of years back. I haven't read the book, but you get a sense of what King was trying to convey in this that didn't really carry through. There's a huge gaping hole where the pathos is supposed to kick in at the end that usually speaks to a lack of homework in an earlier act to earn that payoff. In this case it seems like the movie huffed and puffed and tried very hard to elicit some sort of an emotional reaction linked to the characters' trauma as children and how they've carried it with them, but it's all very hamfisted and probably required a lot more time than they had to do it justice.

I wouldn't mind seeing a decent mini-series adaptation of it, actually, I think if we spent the first 5 episodes of a 13 episode season on the children, and then another 5 or so episodes on the adults, giving a bit more depth to the characters, it would allow a much more emotionally satisfying conclusion.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50308 on: September 13, 2019, 11:51:02 am »
I feel like it should have been better, given the quality of the cast. But the writing was very much phoned in.

There's a certain kind of magic in the best Stephen King adaptations that transcends horror, and cuts through to something more profound and human. Stand By Me is a good example of that, as is Carrie and to an extent the first It from a couple of years back. I haven't read the book, but you get a sense of what King was trying to convey in this that didn't really carry through. There's a huge gaping hole where the pathos is supposed to kick in at the end that usually speaks to a lack of homework in an earlier act to earn that payoff. In this case it seems like the movie huffed and puffed and tried very hard to elicit some sort of an emotional reaction linked to the characters' trauma as children and how they've carried it with them, but it's all very hamfisted and probably required a lot more time than they had to do it justice.

I wouldn't mind seeing a decent mini-series adaptation of it, actually, I think if we spent the first 5 episodes of a 13 episode season on the children, and then another 5 or so episodes on the adults, giving a bit more depth to the characters, it would allow a much more emotionally satisfying conclusion.

Yes. The adults were basically just the kids but they look older, it does not ring true. They need to be characters in their own right. I get that thematically none of them have been able to move on and grow, but there was no sense that they had lived at all since leaving. The opening act, when we see where they all are now (mostly living very cosmetically successful lives in various ways) does not fit with what follows.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #50309 on: September 13, 2019, 01:09:00 pm »
Blindspotting is pretty good.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50310 on: September 14, 2019, 10:37:22 am »
Holmes and Watson is one of the worst films I have ever seen. How the fuck did some of that cast sign up for it? Also, why does John C Reilly keep starring in comedies? He isn't funny at all.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50311 on: September 14, 2019, 02:27:16 pm »
Hustlers rules.

J.Lo deserves a nomination for her entrance alone. Iconic.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50312 on: September 14, 2019, 08:01:12 pm »
Saw Stan & Ollie yesterday. Such a thoughtful and moving film, I thought Coogan and Reilly were magnificent and you could really feel it was made with such a love and reverence for the original Stan & Ollie.
Agree 100%.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50313 on: September 14, 2019, 08:03:35 pm »
And even some women in amongst that lot as well?
The reference was about male actors I thought. Certainly many great actresses over time as well.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 01:09:53 pm by Titi Camara »

Offline Damian V

• Anny Roader
« Reply #50314 on: September 16, 2019, 08:01:52 am »
Few I've seen recently:

Parasite - wow, what an amazing movie. Story, acting, photography, all of the absolute highest level.
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - I know opinions vastly differ on this one but I personally loved it. Didn't feel like it dragged at any point and would go for a rewatch.
It: Chapter 2 - basically a rehash of the first one, everything by the book but was ok
Support The Girls - nice little movie about a highway diner in USA, charming movie
Ready or Not - fun horror (I guess?) movie, but don't quite get the high praise it received.

Not sure if this applies for the film thread, but also seen the 3 standups by Bill Burr, Dave Chappelle & Aziz. Bill Burr one was hilarious, Chappelle one was also very good but the Aziz Ansari one was just ok.

Online Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50315 on: September 16, 2019, 06:33:17 pm »
There is a short film just released from the Jurassic World series.

https://twitter.com/JurassicWorld/status/1173461348069650432?s=19

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50316 on: September 16, 2019, 08:55:15 pm »
Saw It Chapter 2 last night, massive let down. Felt like I was watching an episode of Goosebumps, just so over the top with the scares, should have kept it simple and creepy as opposed to the childish shite served up.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50317 on: September 16, 2019, 09:03:46 pm »
Few I've seen recently:

Parasite - wow, what an amazing movie. Story, acting, photography, all of the absolute highest level.

Still sitting here (im)patiently waiting for the UK release.

Ad Astra for me on Thursday night in IMAX

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #50318 on: September 17, 2019, 12:42:41 am »
The reference was about male actors I thought. Certainly many great actresses over time as well.

Not having a go, mate.

My wife's made a point of telling me over and over that actresses should be called actors as well, because there's no difference in the trade, and therefore there's no need to differentiate with an entirely different noun.

A part of me thinks she's quibbling, but in the context of these chats about the 'great actors', it's probably a fair point.

There's no reason to differentiate between the male and female leads in conversations like this, and doing so tends to focus the conversation on the male actors. Of course you do get Merryl Streep and Julianne Moore lionised from time to time as giants of the industry as well, but way less often than you do with Tom Hanks, who, arguably, is no better than either of the above. And that's way before you get into any of the other myriad great actresses like Penelope Cruz, Zhang Ziyi, Catherine Deneuve, Isabelle Huppert etc. etc.

So returning to my wife's point - I don't necessarily think differentiating male and female actors with a different noun matters - that's probably more PCness than we need and just twice as many syllables. But I think it is useful to think of male and female actors as doing the same job, and therefore should be referred to in the same conversations about 'best actors' or 'worst actors'.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #50319 on: September 17, 2019, 12:48:32 am »
Not having a go, mate.

My wife's made a point of telling me over and over that actresses should be called actors as well, because there's no difference in the trade, and therefore there's no need to differentiate with an entirely different noun.

A part of me thinks she's quibbling, but in the context of these chats about the 'great actors', it's probably a fair point.

There's no reason to differentiate between the male and female leads in conversations like this, and doing so tends to focus the conversation on the male actors. Of course you do get Merryl Streep and Julianne Moore lionised from time to time as giants of the industry as well, but way less often than you do with Tom Hanks, who, arguably, is no better than either of the above. And that's way before you get into any of the other myriad great actresses like Penelope Cruz, Zhang Ziyi, Catherine Deneuve, Isabelle Huppert etc. etc.

So returning to my wife's point - I don't necessarily think differentiating male and female actors with a different noun matters - that's probably more PCness than we need and just twice as many syllables. But I think it is useful to think of male and female actors as doing the same job, and therefore should be referred to in the same conversations about 'best actors' or 'worst actors'.

Is there a female equivalent to Nic Cage?

Angelina Jolie, perhaps?

Difficult to categorizse, never mind define... :wave
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...