Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3513887 times)

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #50080 on: August 1, 2019, 09:06:52 pm »
New trailer for the Scorsese/ De Niro / Pacino film The Irishman.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/kS5JKhhvDv8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/kS5JKhhvDv8</a>

Bit old these now to still be playing gangsters.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #50081 on: August 1, 2019, 09:25:16 pm »
Bit old these now to still be playing gangsters.

Gangsters can be old too you know. Hoffa was past 60 when he disappeared.

I am looking forward to it. Scorsese with an exceptional cast, gotta watch it.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50082 on: August 1, 2019, 10:57:56 pm »
Scorsese with an exceptional cast, gotta watch it.

It'll be an hour or two of a good film, and then another hour or so boring unravelling as per usual.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50083 on: August 1, 2019, 11:53:57 pm »
It'll be an hour or two of a good film, and then another hour or so boring unravelling as per usual.

So that's Tarantino and Scorsese on your shit list

Who next Spielberg or Hitchcock?

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #50084 on: August 2, 2019, 01:55:32 am »

Michael Bay, probably...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50085 on: August 2, 2019, 03:35:23 am »
Just watched Snowpiercer on Netflix. Underrated film. Got a few neat twists in it. Quite liked it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1706620/?ref_=nv_sr_2?ref_=nv_sr_2

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #50086 on: August 2, 2019, 07:33:58 am »
The Current War: Quite annoyed with this. Pretty much totally ignored Tesla, concentrated on the two Americans.

They even, at one stage, went on about the 'Impossible task' of making AC usable and when Tesla solved it, it barely got 5 seconds of screen time. We last saw him saying he died in a hotel room.

I think it glossed over the amount of stuff that Edison stole from Tesla.

Disappointing.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50087 on: August 2, 2019, 09:32:54 am »
Just watched Snowpiercer on Netflix. Underrated film. Got a few neat twists in it. Quite liked it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1706620/?ref_=nv_sr_2?ref_=nv_sr_2

Yeah good movie I loved it.  Then again I'm a Bong Joon-Ho nut.

Still trying to find somewhere to watch his new movie 'Parasite'.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50088 on: August 2, 2019, 09:48:09 am »

They're actually not to be fair. I mostly enjoy Tarantino films. Would watch them all at least. Scorcese makes good looking films, he gets good casts, and then he makes a film that often says the same thing over and over, and tells it indulgently over three hours resulting in boredom by the climax.

Can't remember the most recently made Spielberg I saw and liked. Love me some Jaws though.

Love Hitchcock films.
« Last Edit: August 2, 2019, 09:49:55 am by Classycara »

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #50089 on: August 2, 2019, 10:03:09 am »
Has anyone seen 'Blindspotting' - It's available on Netflix.

Sort of a dark but very funny urban drama - the leads are brilliant. It received brilliant reviews.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/oct/04/blindspotting-review-carlos-lopez-estrada

I thought it was great.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50090 on: August 2, 2019, 10:29:05 am »

Sort of a dark but very funny urban drama - the leads are brilliant. It received brilliant reviews.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/oct/04/blindspotting-review-carlos-lopez-estrada

I thought it was great.

Never heard of that. Looks like a good watch, ta

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #50091 on: August 2, 2019, 10:33:12 am »
They're actually not to be fair. I mostly enjoy Tarantino films. Would watch them all at least. Scorcese makes good looking films, he gets good casts, and then he makes a film that often says the same thing over and over, and tells it indulgently over three hours resulting in boredom by the climax.

Can't remember the most recently made Spielberg I saw and liked. Love me some Jaws though.

Love Hitchcock films.

I find Tarentino, Cohen Brothers etc. pretty tedious myself. The number of times you have a character that is wordy to the extreme and harbours knowledge way out of their scope.

I kind of like the idea that this could happen, but in 'real life' this isn't the case. You don't tend to get people expounding the way they do. Much of it is irrelevant narrative that appears to serve little purpose other than trying to make characters more interesting than they would be had they actually had to live the life they were portrayed as living.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50092 on: August 2, 2019, 10:45:31 am »

Love Hitchcock films.

Fair do's mate.  We will have to agree to disagree on Scorsese though. A master filmmaker in my book.

Speaking of master film makers, off to watch Apocalypse Now 'Final cut' on 13th August.  Restored for 4K from the original camera negative.  F.F Coppola reckons it looks and sounds better than ever. Canna wait.

20 minutes shorter than the 2001 'Redux' release but still getting 30 mins more than the original

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50093 on: August 2, 2019, 11:26:19 am »
Fair do's mate.  We will have to agree to disagree on Scorsese though. A master filmmaker in my book.

Speaking of master film makers, off to watch Apocalypse Now 'Final cut' on 13th August.  Restored for 4K from the original camera negative.  F.F Coppola reckons it looks and sounds better than ever. Canna wait.

20 minutes shorter than the 2001 'Redux' release but still getting 30 mins more than the original
For me, I think Scorcese makes some absolutely incredibly moments and scenes. I just struggle to think of a film where it's stayed together all the way through.

Sounds great, might have to fish that out.

Enjoy!

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50094 on: August 2, 2019, 12:11:40 pm »

Sounds great, might have to fish that out.

Enjoy!

It appears to be one night only thing as far as cinema is concerned. Everywhere seems to be showing it on 13th Aug

Getting into watching the classics on big screen. My lad went to watch JAWS the other week and said it was ace.  His GF had never seen it and he didn't tell her about the underwater head scene.  :)

I've noticed HOME cinema are doing a showing of Lynch's 'Blue Velvet' soon. I might take the lad along to that.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50095 on: August 2, 2019, 02:26:51 pm »
It appears to be one night only thing as far as cinema is concerned. Everywhere seems to be showing it on 13th Aug

Getting into watching the classics on big screen. My lad went to watch JAWS the other week and said it was ace.  His GF had never seen it and he didn't tell her about the underwater head scene.  :)

I've noticed HOME cinema are doing a showing of Lynch's 'Blue Velvet' soon. I might take the lad along to that.

Great films to see on the big screen. Blue velvet just to continue the theme of dismembered body parts? ;)

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #50096 on: August 2, 2019, 02:47:31 pm »

That scene still fucks me up! If I remember rightly at the exact moment the head appears there is kind of a loud shrieking noise.

Online damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50097 on: August 2, 2019, 10:29:24 pm »

I thought it was great.

Watched it there, great shout! Powerful scene towards the end, most powerful rap in any movie I’ve seen.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50098 on: August 3, 2019, 01:56:19 am »
Eddie Murphy was on Jerry Seinfeld's "Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee". Murphy was a big "Planet of the Apes" fan. As a kid he went to a theater for a movie marathon and saw all 5 films in a row, twice, in the same day.

Anyway, he said "Planet of The Apes" was a spin on "Wizard of Oz"! :

The main characters in each movie are both home and get knocked out. They wake up in a strange place. They meet strange beings, some who want to kill them, some who want to help.  There is a dark mystery behind the world they are in. And in the end, they both find out they were home all along.

Interesting take. :D

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #50099 on: August 3, 2019, 08:10:42 am »
Eddie Murphy was on Jerry Seinfeld's "Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee". Murphy was a big "Planet of the Apes" fan. As a kid he went to a theater for a movie marathon and saw all 5 films in a row, twice, in the same day.

Anyway, he said "Planet of The Apes" was a spin on "Wizard of Oz"! :

The main characters in each movie are both home and get knocked out. They wake up in a strange place. They meet strange beings, some who want to kill them, some who want to help.  There is a dark mystery behind the world they are in. And in the end, they both find out they were home all along.

Interesting take. :D

Spoiler alert FFS!

Offline soxfan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50100 on: August 3, 2019, 02:11:13 pm »
Spoiler alert FFS!
;D

Oh, and then there was this Star Wars movie. So in a galaxy far, far away there was this kid Luke... :P

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #50101 on: August 3, 2019, 04:07:17 pm »
;D

Oh, and then there was this Star Wars movie. So in a galaxy far, far away there was this kid Luke... :P

Who had a friend who got in a dispute with a weirdo named Greedo, and fucking shot first!
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline soxfan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50102 on: August 3, 2019, 09:38:59 pm »
Who had a friend who got in a dispute with a weirdo named Greedo, and fucking shot first!
You've ruined it for me now! :'(

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50103 on: August 4, 2019, 12:13:33 pm »
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was really good. Had a great time watching it.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50104 on: August 4, 2019, 02:27:54 pm »
Speaking of, Quentin went on a podcast with the guys at the New Beverly (that he does all the programming for) which was incredible. He has put on a load of films in the run up to Once Upon a Time's release to get you in that frame of mind of the late 60s early 70s, and he talks about some films that Rick Dalton (DiCaprio) would've been in.

About three hours long, really worth a listen, hes a fascinating person to listen to: http://thenewbev.com/blog/2019/07/pure-cinema-podcast-july-2019-with-quentin-tarantino/

If anyone's on letterboxd, I put them together (plus a few others mentioned, and some Sharon Tate films) in a list so you can check them out if you want, some of them are free to watch on youtube.
https://letterboxd.com/beav/list/qt-new-beverly/
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #50105 on: August 5, 2019, 12:42:44 pm »
Yesterday.

Nice film. Gentle romanctic humour, nice music well redone. Some pauses for thought and a rollercoaster ride. Plus it features Liverpool.

Never thought I'd see a film being done at Lime St. Even though they did have the London train inexplicably using platform 6 for no apparant reason and pointed to the shitty Empire taxi rank rather than the bigger one on the other side.

Watched it last night, really good movie and while I'm not the Beatles greatest living fan, the remakes of the tracks are pretty good.
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #50106 on: August 6, 2019, 12:17:54 am »
Yeah good movie I loved it.  Then again I'm a Bong Joon-Ho nut.

Still trying to find somewhere to watch his new movie 'Parasite'.

Sorry I forgot to reply to you earlier (I think), mate.

Canberra, Australia, is where I saw it ;D

It's slated for release in the US in October, so I imagine if it still isn't released in the UK by then, you might be able to acquire it at the usual places shortly after the US date.

Offline my usenme changed?

• Self-appointed moderator for comic topics
  • Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
« Reply #50107 on: August 6, 2019, 09:37:41 am »

It's slated for release in the US in October, so I imagine if it still isn't released in the UK by then, you might be able to acquire it at the usual places shortly after the US date.

So that's why I haven't found it online yet!  ;D
Mid-Ulster Kopite  ---  BELIEVER

77 * 78 * 81 * 84 * 05 * 19
Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50108 on: August 6, 2019, 11:55:13 am »

Cheers Redders.

The lady at Curzon cinema emailed me to say she would ping me a message when they were screening it. (Curzon have the UK rights apparently)

She also congratulated me on my excellent taste in cinema.  Little does she know I went to watch Hobbs & Shaw the other night :)

Edit:  Parasite is now up on the Curzon cinema "Coming Soon" page  :)
« Last Edit: August 6, 2019, 11:20:45 pm by Buck Pete »

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #50109 on: August 7, 2019, 10:09:09 am »
There’s a new Chris Morris film out in October....

The Day Shall Come...

It’s all Hollywood....
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #50110 on: August 7, 2019, 02:24:05 pm »
Been to see the remastered Jaws..

Looks stunning ...and just magnificent performances all round.. well worth seeing on the big screen

bugger, i'd love to have taken the kids for this one.  Not on at the local Vue

There’s a new Chris Morris film out in October....

The Day Shall Come...

It’s all Hollywood....

Sounds interesting

Offline soxfan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50111 on: August 8, 2019, 02:54:57 am »
 ::)
Merry Christmas, ya filthy animal -- a Disney remake of "Home Alone" is on its way.

In a conference call with investors, Disney CEO Bob Iger said the company would be "reimagining" the 1990s Christmas classic film for its long-awaited streaming service, Disney+, along with "Night at the Museum," "Cheaper by the Dozen" and "Diary of a Wimpy Kid."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/07/movies/disney-home-alone-intl-scli/index.html

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #50112 on: August 8, 2019, 03:48:10 pm »
Macaulay Culkin
‏Verified account @IncredibleCulk

This is what an updated Home Alone would actually look like.

Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #50113 on: August 9, 2019, 05:09:33 am »
::)

Wow.

Night at the Museum is only 13 years old, and it wasn't even good the first time.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #50114 on: August 9, 2019, 08:57:15 am »
along with "Night at the Museum," "Cheaper by the Dozen" and "Diary of a Wimpy Kid."

Maybe a burger king remake would be better

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #50115 on: August 9, 2019, 01:01:23 pm »
Rather than blowing money on ale, for the last couple of weekends I've sat down and watched a few films, mostly Netflix and Sky Cinema.

Baby Driver, stars Ansel Elgort, really decent film, good music and decent enough plot. I would say the only thing that lets it down is towards the end, the storyline gets a bit far-fetched. Definitely worth a watch though.

Shaft (2019), Samuel L Jackson and surprisingly Richard Roundtree, this is a boss film, Jackson is hilarious in it, another one worth a watch.

The Equalizer (2014), a bit behind the times but another decent film.

Last but no means least, The 15:17 to Paris. Directed by the legend that is Clint Eastwood and starring Alek Skarlatos, Anthony Sadler and Spencer Stone as themselves, its about the attempted terror attack on the Amsterdam to Paris train. Its a bit slow to be honest, its like they dragged out the run up to what happened. That said, the actual train fight scene is beserk. Worth a watch.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50116 on: August 9, 2019, 01:33:25 pm »
F&F: Hobbs and Shaw was fucking terrible. I'm all for brainless popcorn movies and I like the other FF movies, but this was just cheesy, CGI infested garbage that lasted way too long.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #50117 on: August 9, 2019, 01:39:37 pm »
F&F: Hobbs and Shaw was fucking terrible. I'm all for brainless popcorn movies and I like the other FF movies, but this was just cheesy, CGI infested garbage that lasted way too long.

Unlike all the other FF movies which were Oscar nominated...

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #50118 on: August 9, 2019, 01:43:23 pm »
Macaulay Culkin
‏Verified account @IncredibleCulk

This is what an updated Home Alone would actually look like.

N64 controller, the man has great taste.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50119 on: August 9, 2019, 03:15:26 pm »
Unlike all the other FF movies which were Oscar nominated...

They were masterpieces by comparison.