Author Topic: The Title Race 2023/24- Jurgen's Last Dance  (Read 246866 times)

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
Re: Where do you genuinely think we lost the league?
« Reply #5120 on: May 12, 2024, 10:40:37 pm »
Too many crucial injuries at the wrong times.

The kids and inexperienced got by on verve and energy and some naivete as long as they could until they ran out of gas.

The veterans returning from injuries were too rusty and took too long to get back into form.

In that interval is where we lost it.

Beating Arsenal in the FA cup, closely followed by the Klopp announcement lead to the unrealistic prospect of the fabled Quadruple as well as all the good points made above.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5121 on: May 12, 2024, 10:58:20 pm »
We didnt lose the league. We did very well to get to where we did but it was a step too far.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
Re: The Title Race 2023/24- Jurgen's Last Dance
« Reply #5122 on: May 12, 2024, 11:18:41 pm »
We didnt lose the league. We did very well to get to where we did but it was a step too far.

We did lose the league, make no bones about that. The players and the whole squad will tell you that.

Our problem was how got to where we got, before we started let it slip - this was the problem.
Chasing games for the best part of a season became too much for us, the stat we were lorded about, became our own downfall in many respects.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5123 on: May 13, 2024, 12:47:56 am »

The kids and inexperienced got by on verve and energy and some naivete as long as they could until they ran out of gas.

The veterans returning from injuries were too rusty and took too long to get back into form.

That covers it well.  We relied a lot on comebacks and a strong mentality.  It was the stuff of champions (Newcastle away, Fulham home, Palace away, Forest away, etc).  But at the same time, to be the top side, we needed to round into form at the right time.  The hope was that for a part of the season, we weren't playing our best but we were winning.  Then, when we get our injured players/out of form players into form, we'll go on a strong run to end the season.  But that didn't happen. 

Instead of going from not playing at our best and winning to playing our best and winning, we went from not playing at our best and winning to not playing at our best and losing/drawing.

It hurts because while the title was a long shot, we had it in our hands with 8 games remaining.  We were starting to get players back, and we put out strong sides against United and Palace but fluffed our lines.  A forward going on a scoring binge or CBs playing blinders (the way Mac did for a few weeks), and that might've been all it took.  Just one example that comes to mind is Taiwo Awoniyi, who despite scoring just 4 goals in the first 23 games last year for Forest, scored 7 in 4 to end the season, taking Forest from relegation places to safety with 1 game left.  None of our players needed to sustain top form for an entire season, but if someone like Darwin or Mo hitting peak scoring form had happened, and they went on a big run (8 goals in 8 or something), that might've been enough.

Our performances in the league against Arsenal and City (3 draws, 1 defeat) left a lot to be desired also.  Had chances to put Arsenal and City away at home but failed to do so and VVD/Alisson got mixed up for an almighty blunder at the Emirates.  Played a weak United side 3 times and didn't win any of them.

Despite all the injuries and officiating woes, we all dreamed that we could get into form and do enough to get over the line.

But in the end, that magic never appeared.  Winning all 8 games was always going to be difficult anyway, but it all fell apart so quickly.
King Kenny.

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5124 on: May 13, 2024, 03:36:18 am »
What i'll never understand is the slow starts in nearly every game we play.  It feels like its been happening for a couple seasons now.  I saw a stat before saying we'd be 19th in the league according to results at the 15th minute mark in games.  I know it's a 90+ minute game and that means nothing in the long run but it's just to highlight our slow starts.  We were only leading in 2 games at the 15th minute (Arsenal were leading in 9 games and City in 8 ).  The opponent has scored first in 16 of our league games this season.  It just wasn't sustainable.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #5125 on: May 13, 2024, 05:51:20 am »

We lost the league. When you have the league in your own hands with 7 games to play you've lost the league.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5126 on: May 13, 2024, 05:53:54 am »
We have to get to the bottom of our injuries. Three seasons in the last five with injury lists as long as your arm. With that kind of record, you can no longer put that down to bad luck.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #5127 on: May 13, 2024, 06:13:54 am »
We have to get to the bottom of our injuries. Three seasons in the last five with injury lists as long as your arm. With that kind of record, you can no longer put that down to bad luck.

Two seasons we were fighting for four competitions and that is a huge challenge on so many levels. It cannot be a coincidence that our worst injury seasons were in those times, there are too many games, and too small a turnaround.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5128 on: May 13, 2024, 07:04:06 am »
We did lose the league, make no bones about that. The players and the whole squad will tell you that.

Our problem was how got to where we got, before we started let it slip - this was the problem.
Chasing games for the best part of a season became too much for us, the stat we were lorded about, became our own downfall in many respects.

But thats exactly it. We have been chasing games since the start of the season (first home game against Bournemouth, down 1-0 after a few minutes). By the Luton and Sheffield United games you could see that we were hanging on quite a bit in this title race.

Ultimately we are the third best side in this league and we are finishing where we should.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5129 on: May 13, 2024, 07:13:53 am »
But thats exactly it. We have been chasing games since the start of the season (first home game against Bournemouth, down 1-0 after a few minutes). By the Luton and Sheffield United games you could see that we were hanging on quite a bit in this title race.

Ultimately we are the third best side in this league and we are finishing where we should.

Regardless. we had the league in our own hands with 7 games to play with 7 winnable games.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5130 on: May 13, 2024, 07:18:07 am »
This title challenge was unexpected. It's hard to tell how next season will go as it will very much be a transition season with a brand new manager.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #5131 on: May 13, 2024, 08:53:54 am »
I know it's all a bit redundant now, the league is done with, but where would you say it was lost? United fans will say they're responsible, as will Palace fans and perhaps most annoyingly, Everton fans. Personally I think the title was already a tall order before the derby even kicked off. Try telling that to Evertonians though.

Assuming Arsenal beat Everton, it wouldn't have mattered if we beat Everton/West Ham/Spurs/Villa and Wolves 10-0. We wouldn't have caught Arsenal and/or City

It was realistically over after Palace. United game lost us any margin for error which we were always likely to need.

Winning out after Palace would have took it to the last day but you're sat in the ground waiting to see if Everton do you a favour at Arsenal and that City drop points somewhere which in one case or the other is a waste of everyone's time.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2024, 08:57:01 am by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #5132 on: May 13, 2024, 09:11:12 am »
This title challenge was unexpected. It's hard to tell how next season will go as it will very much be a transition season with a brand new manager.

I’m not sure why people say the title challenge was unexpected. As soon as we replaced our midfield, I was more optimistic about our chances. They’ve underachieved

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #5133 on: May 13, 2024, 09:31:18 am »
Regardless. we had the league in our own hands with 7 games to play with 7 winnable games.

From my uneducated POV, there was nothing in our previous 7 games to say we could be even close to winning the next 7. I think we did exceptionally well to be where we were but it was by the skin of our teeth. And the other two were purring along nicely. I don’t think we bottled it, because I’m not devastated. I would be if we had of. I wasnt shocked by the Palace defeat, it had been coming.

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5134 on: May 13, 2024, 10:04:56 am »
I think the pressure got to us. Players froze.

We have a few inexperienced players in the team. Hopefully this will stand to them next season.

Offline KC7

• Main Stander
« Reply #5135 on: May 13, 2024, 10:13:26 am »
What i'll never understand is the slow starts in nearly every game we play.  It feels like its been happening for a couple seasons now.  I saw a stat before saying we'd be 19th in the league according to results at the 15th minute mark in games.  I know it's a 90+ minute game and that means nothing in the long run but it's just to highlight our slow starts.  We were only leading in 2 games at the 15th minute (Arsenal were leading in 9 games and City in 8 ).  The opponent has scored first in 16 of our league games this season.  It just wasn't sustainable.

Lack of athleticism in midfield. When teams come at us, and they have done so early alot over the last two seasons, we cannot cope.

The Atalanta coach clearly spotted this during his analysis as they were breathing down our necks from kick off. Only a miracle save from Kelleher prevented them from going ahead earlier than they did.

Neil from TAW touched on this issue prior to the Everton game, and spoke of his hope that Endo wouldn't start. While teams have targeted him, the issue is we also don't have anyone else in there. Mac eventually did start vs Everton in the 6, but the same issue applied, that deep midfield area lacks running power. It's why Jurgen said the midfield have to "stay close together" so as not isolate the slow 6, the antithesis of high energy ("heavy metal football"). A flaky midfield will get exploited by teams who come at us.

The Newcastle away game we were pinned inside our own half from the get go. Gakpo wasn't pressing from the front, allowing the Newcastle defenders to take the ball right up to and past half way, while Endo was losing people running off him. Barring the entire 22-23 season where we had no legs in midfield after the overnight collapse of Fabinho with Hendo also cooked, it was the most passive we have looked under Klopp. We then brought on Nunez and Elliott for Gakpo and Endo, and the energy ramped up and we turned it around late on. Less than 72 hours after Atalanta done us 3-0, Endo started again vs Crystal Palace, a team who had targeted him at their ground in another game where we were overrun and looked like losing until a soft red card with 15 to go, and they were all over us in that first half. When Jurgen made the change at half time, Dom on for Endo, the energy ramped up and we tried to recover it, but it was one rescue act too many.

Harvey can also struggle alot in terms of phsyicality when he starts. He is a brilliant player, but his lack of physicality (size and athleticism) can be an issue when he starts as everyone has a full tank, so he doesnt have any advantage a player of his size needs to overcome the athleticism deficieny, whereas when he comes in he is fresh and has more in the tank than opponents who have already ran around for an hour. Primarily why he looks a different player from the bench.

The lack of athleticism and intensity in midfield has been there for the last two seasons (upfront Gakpo at times hasn't helped either), and we have looked vulnerable in the vast majority of games because of it.

Offline KC7

• Main Stander
« Reply #5136 on: May 13, 2024, 10:28:39 am »
I’m not sure why people say the title challenge was unexpected. As soon as we replaced our midfield, I was more optimistic about our chances. They’ve underachieved

The midfield is flaky though, one that has to "stay close together" so as not to isolate the slow 6, and provides substandard defensive protection. It loses runners, leaves gaps, and makes it far too easy for the opposition to breach to then get through to the back four. We conceded six in two games vs an atrocious United. One looped ball over the top by Casemiro into oceans of space with no DM in sight, allowing a toothless United attack a free run at the backline from which they went ahead.

A midfield that has to protect a player, is by definition weak, and that will get targeted.

Arsenal allow the opposition the fewest touches in their box. They stop attacks at source, midfield, which we used to do when the midfield was at it.

We have only half built the midfield with all those 8s (and they needed a season to bed in), we need an elite 6 who has the athleticism to take on the defensive duties without needing 8s to protect him.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5137 on: May 13, 2024, 10:30:39 am »
Lack of athleticism in midfield. When teams come at us, and they have done so early alot over the last two seasons, we cannot cope.

The Atalanta coach clearly spotted this during his analysis as they were breathing down our necks from kick off. Only a miracle save from Kelleher prevented them from going ahead earlier than they did.

Neil from TAW touched on this issue prior to the Everton game, and spoke of his hope that Endo wouldn't start. While teams have targeted him, the issue is we also don't have anyone else in there. Mac eventually did start vs Everton in the 6, but the same issue applied, that deep midfield area lacks running power. It's why Jurgen said the midfield have to "stay close together" so as not isolate the slow 6, the antithesis of high energy ("heavy metal football"). A flaky midfield will get exploited by teams who come at us.

We all knew it going into the season. We bid a British record fee for Caicedo so Klopp and the staff knew it.

Endo was a solid squad purchase but it was negligent not to sign an athletic 6 in the summer. Ibiza Jorge spent months fucking about over Lavia which didn't help either. And we wouldn't have banked on Bajcetic being injured all season.

Would have helped to get someone in in Jan but that wasn't happened once Klopp announced he was going.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5138 on: May 13, 2024, 10:31:13 am »
I know it's all a bit redundant now, the league is done with, but where would you say it was lost? United fans will say they're responsible, as will Palace fans and perhaps most annoyingly, Everton fans. Personally I think the title was already a tall order before the derby even kicked off. Try telling that to Evertonians though.

The FA Cup game with Man Utd. We were coasting and I think if we won that the momentum would have carried on, proof is in the literal form after it too.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5139 on: May 13, 2024, 10:35:24 am »
The FA Cup game with Man Utd. We were coasting and I think if we won that the momentum would have carried on, proof is in the literal form after it too.

I think all the games and our weaknesses were going to catch up with us at some point, particularly going all out on 4 fronts. You can't go behind, start sloppily, be easy to score against, or rely on last minute winners all season long. Although we were coasting in that game we could have been 2 or 3 down there after a shite first half an hour. We should have put the game to bed in the middle third of it, but you can't just switch off for the rest of the game. The way Arsenal ground out an ugly 1-0 win there yesterday, that's beyond us these days, they didn't really give United a sniff.

Arsenal away in the league as well. Didn't turn up first half. Get back in it and then throw it away. If we won that, Arsenal were out the race. That was the crucial game for me, although City would still have been a long shot.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2024, 10:39:02 am by Fromola »

Offline KC7

• Main Stander
« Reply #5140 on: May 13, 2024, 10:39:52 am »
From my uneducated POV, there was nothing in our previous 7 games to say we could be even close to winning the next 7. I think we did exceptionally well to be where we were but it was by the skin of our teeth. And the other two were purring along nicely. I don’t think we bottled it, because I’m not devastated. I would be if we had of. I wasnt shocked by the Palace defeat, it had been coming.

Definitely. We had been teetering on the brink all season. We bottled nothing. The pressure merely ramped up and the major flaws were exposed.

With a whole new midfield though, and one that is still unfinished in regard to the 6, it was highly unlikely we would go the whole way. We needed a season for it to bed in. Mac for instance, he really clicked into gear in January. Gravenberch has taken alot longer and he is beginning to show more. Dom showed alot from the get go but he looks knackered in having to do so much of the midfield's running. One more window, an athletic 6, no more dragging Mac back there to "do a job", and this midfield (thus team) was good to go.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #5141 on: May 13, 2024, 10:45:04 am »

Agree with this
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #5142 on: May 13, 2024, 10:49:51 am »
Luton away
United home
Crystal Palace home
Everton home

These 4 games messed our confidence big time.

I want to include Chelsea away as well. Probably because Chelsea were gash with so many signings. But the same could be argued for us as well.
But in my mind, we drew the first two and lost the last two. Thats 10 points right there.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #5143 on: May 13, 2024, 11:40:14 am »
Luton away
United home
Crystal Palace home
Everton home

I want to include Chelsea away as well. Probably because Chelsea were gash with so many signings. But the same could be argued for us as well.
But in my mind, we drew the first two and lost the last two. Thats 10 points right there.

We beat Everton at home.

We also went on a great run after drawing with United.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5144 on: May 13, 2024, 11:42:49 am »
Two seasons we were fighting for four competitions and that is a huge challenge on so many levels. It cannot be a coincidence that our worst injury seasons were in those times, there are too many games, and too small a turnaround.

Hate to say it but, with the number of games that you end up playing when you go far in the cups, we probably need to prioritize competitions going forward.  Otherwise we run the risk of falling short late in the season due to fatigue/injuries. 

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5145 on: May 13, 2024, 11:46:13 am »
Assuming Arsenal beat Everton, it wouldn't have mattered if we beat Everton/West Ham/Spurs/Villa and Wolves 10-0. We wouldn't have caught Arsenal and/or City

It was realistically over after Palace. United game lost us any margin for error which we were always likely to need.

Winning out after Palace would have took it to the last day but you're sat in the ground waiting to see if Everton do you a favour at Arsenal and that City drop points somewhere which in one case or the other is a waste of everyone's time.

It's still baffling to me how so many people were so sure that we were fine if we dropped points because there was no way that Arsenal/City were going to finish out the season without dropping any.  The recent history of this league says otherwise and it has been proven once again.  Maybe it'll change when Pep leaves City but right now, when you get to first in the table, every game is a must win. 

Offline PaulKS

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5146 on: May 13, 2024, 12:32:20 pm »

United away 100%

Palace was the final nail in the coffin

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5147 on: May 13, 2024, 12:32:25 pm »
Luton away
United home
Crystal Palace home
Everton home

You mean Everton away. We won the home game.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #5148 on: May 13, 2024, 12:37:57 pm »

I think the writing was on the wall before Everton away.

I nearly mentioned the Bullens Wall but I think I got away with it. ;D

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5149 on: May 13, 2024, 12:42:20 pm »
If you said to me two months ago  I would wake up today not thinking about Football till mid-afternoon, I wouldnt be able to get my head  around it.

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #5150 on: May 13, 2024, 12:42:41 pm »
We beat Everton at home.

We also went on a great run after drawing with United.

Everton Away. Yes.

I would include both the home game and away United games here. When we faced them at home, we had the home ground advantage. And we managed a 0-0.
When we faced them at OT, they were in their worst form and we were in our best form. We should've seen another 7-0 routing on any normal day.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2024, 12:51:45 pm by ChaChaMooMoo »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #5151 on: May 13, 2024, 12:50:37 pm »

They have not underachieved, you have to be near perfect to be anywhere near a title challenge these days. I never expected to be challenging for the title this season, as you'd have to be extremely fortunate with injuries with the amount of games you have to play now.

Hate to say it but, with the number of games that you end up playing when you go far in the cups, we probably need to prioritize competitions going forward.  Otherwise we run the risk of falling short late in the season due to fatigue/injuries.

Now that we have a good standard of young players coming through, we should be prepared to use them more in the Cup competitions. Think how young the team was that won the Cup this season, it gives them a chance to experience playing football at a high level.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2024, 12:53:15 pm by jillcwhomever »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5152 on: May 13, 2024, 12:53:06 pm »
I didn't expect a title challenge however I didnt expect to finish below Arsenal either.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5153 on: May 13, 2024, 12:54:08 pm »
I'd say the Diaz offside at Spurs, the penalty not being given at the end of the City game and the basketball handball vs Arsenal were all pivotal.

I always thought we'd struggle to keep up with City for sure, but when you have those going against you as well, the chances were always going to be slim.

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5154 on: May 13, 2024, 12:56:57 pm »
I didn't expect a title challenge however I didnt expect to finish below Arsenal either.

I think Arsenal's team is more mature as a collective in their development going into this season. They've shown that in their performances across the season.

It was nice to dream we were in the title race and we were very much so up until the past few weeks. But this team needs a little more growth before I think we could confidently expect to be in the mix and real contenders.

Offline Realgman

• Kopite
  • gerrup the yard
« Reply #5155 on: May 13, 2024, 12:59:05 pm »
Dead right

I'd say the Diaz offside at Spurs, the penalty not being given at the end of the City game and the basketball handball vs Arsenal were all pivotal.

I always thought we'd struggle to keep up with City for sure, but when you have those going against you as well, the chances were always going to be slim.
I am not a dreamer. I am a football romantic-Jurgen Klopp

Offline stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5156 on: May 13, 2024, 01:06:25 pm »

I remember thinking a few weeks beforehand that we mustn't let Utd fuck our season up from where we'd got to. We did, against one of the worst Utd teams I've seen in 60 years watching football. Personally, I think we did overachieve considering the major personnel changes and all of the controversial stuff that went agains us but ended up with the main goal, Champions league football next season. I also think Jurgen"s announcement got people thinking of a dream ending which may have put unnecessary pressure on the players and been another negative factor on top of our almost cruel run of injuries (seemed like we lost half the first team squad in a couple of weeks at one point).
« Last Edit: May 13, 2024, 01:12:16 pm by stjohns »

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5157 on: May 13, 2024, 01:44:22 pm »

It's been right from the off.

Opening game of the season we should've had a penalty after Jackson punched the ball out from a corner.

Against Brighton, they should've had a player sent off for a clear DOGSO. We'd have been 2-1 up against 10 men for the whole of the 2nd half.

No guarantee we'd have won any of the games of course, but we've been denied the possibility of at least 10/11 more points over Arsenal and Abu Dhabi due to refereeing/VAR decisions alone.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5158 on: May 13, 2024, 01:51:23 pm »
It's been right from the off.

Opening game of the season we should've had a penalty after Jackson punched the ball out from a corner.

Against Brighton, they should've had a player sent off for a clear DOGSO. We'd have been 2-1 up against 10 men for the whole of the 2nd half.

No guarantee we'd have won any of the games of course, but we've been denied the possibility of at least 10/11 more points over Arsenal and Abu Dhabi due to refereeing/VAR decisions alone.

The penalty vs Chelsea was just astounding and set the tone from game 1. Clear handball with no mitigating circumstances just waved away.

Offline KC7

• Main Stander
« Reply #5159 on: May 13, 2024, 02:00:45 pm »
It's still baffling to me how so many people were so sure that we were fine if we dropped points because there was no way that Arsenal/City were going to finish out the season without dropping any.  The recent history of this league says otherwise and it has been proven once again.  Maybe it'll change when Pep leaves City but right now, when you get to first in the table, every game is a must win.

Yep. A target sharpens the focus. Gives players something to aim for. And having a specific target drives players on.

For example, if you need to win a game by four clear goals, as we did vs Barca, that adds an extra bit of impetus to your play.

Same applies when the finish line is in sight, the calculations are clear and you have to win games.

Never like this presumptuous "we have seven cup finals". Sure I wasnt alone in thinking we have one cup final, and hopefully we win that so we then have another one and so on. We were nowhere near solid enough, midfield especially, where we are flaky defensively, to expect to go on a sustained run. Arsenal who cough up few chances with the opposition rarely getting in their box, they have the solidity to expect to go on a run, runs that we rightfully expected from us between 2018 and 2022 when we were at it.

With such a ropey midfield, and one that Klopp was clearly never happy with given the constant chopping and changing in there, something that didn't happen between 2018 and the 2022, we have probably exceeded our expectations with roughly 80 points and a Cup.

Posters can point to individual games, but the bigger picture is we have been solid/comfortable in maybe only 5 games all season. Crystal Palace for instance, they can consider themselves very unfortunate not to have done the double over us as they dominated for 75 minutes at their place before the soft sending off changed the game, and they then dominated again in the first half at Anfield when Jurgen started the lad who Atalanta had targeted less than 72 hours prior. Palace are a bottom half side but the athleticism they have in midfield really contrasted with our lack of it. Just a real bad match up for us.