Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 619110 times)

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #480 on: January 27, 2024, 06:25:57 pm »
What made you think that?

Gerrard as a player had no issue publicly throwing teammates under the bus. His demeanour on the pitch at times could be sulky. As a player, his style was less tactical and methodical and more about emotion and instinct. I think in order to be a really good manager, you have to be a strategist. Alonso always presented himself as one on the pitch; Gerrard less so.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #481 on: January 27, 2024, 06:26:51 pm »
It surprises me Amorim hasn't been talked about more.

It’s like thinking of dating Ricky Gervais when Ryan Gosling’s in front of you nervously trying to pronounce your name.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #482 on: January 27, 2024, 06:27:46 pm »
What about De Zerbi or Alonso would make you believe we definitely would?

I've not said we definitely would? But we could, and that's the point.

With Emery, we pretty know that we wouldn't. Zero chance we get 90+ points under him - outside of PSG, he's never averaged above 2.0 PPG.

And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #483 on: January 27, 2024, 06:28:28 pm »
What made you think that?

Gerrard's silence as captain during the G & H tenure told me everything i needed to know about him. Self-serving coward.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #484 on: January 27, 2024, 06:28:34 pm »
It surprises me Amorim hasn't been talked about more.
Someone who knows someone has just told me he's on a list of 4.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #485 on: January 27, 2024, 06:28:44 pm »
Gerrard as a player had no issue publicly throwing teammates under the bus. His demeanour on the pitch at times could be sulky. As a player, his style was less tactical and methodical and more about emotion and instinct. I think in order to be a really good manager, you have to be a strategist. Alonso always presented himself as one on the pitch; Gerrard less so.
Yeah, there's no comparison. Alonso is light years ahead of Gerrard.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #486 on: January 27, 2024, 06:28:47 pm »
I'm not convinced how much the journalists know. We appear to have been ahead of them through most of this.

If I had to guess, maybe not that much on this. None of them knew Klopp was leaving until it was announced so I'd be surprised if they had much of an inkling of who we've been looking at over the last couple of months.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #487 on: January 27, 2024, 06:28:59 pm »
Got to be someone in their 40s hasn't it?
Or slightly younger...

My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #488 on: January 27, 2024, 06:29:21 pm »
I'm not convinced how much the journalists know. We appear to have been ahead of them through most of this.

Yes i know but you said you were surprised he hadnt been mentioned more and like I said he has been in some outlets. I would suspect he hasnt much on here because we dont watch much Portuguese league football. But i did read up on him earlier and his background and that title with Sporting is a real plus point.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #489 on: January 27, 2024, 06:29:37 pm »
Gerrard's silence as captain during the G & H tenure told me everything i needed to know about him. Self-serving coward.

Nevermind the fact that he’s extended his stay in the desert. He’s in it for the money.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #490 on: January 27, 2024, 06:30:21 pm »

With Emery, we pretty know that we wouldn't. Zero chance we get 90+ points under him - outside of PSG, he's never averaged above 2.0 PPG.

He's currently on 2.0 PPG with Villa. 92 points from 46 games
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #491 on: January 27, 2024, 06:30:28 pm »
Got to be someone in their 40s hasn't it?
I already have a job

Sorry
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: January 27, 2024, 06:31:15 pm »
I always remember Carragher vs Arbeloa, and how Gerrard went conveniently AWOL whilst Alonso stepped in to sort out the bullying blame-deflecting Bootle Baresi.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #493 on: January 27, 2024, 06:31:31 pm »

Well go on then, who's the other 3!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #494 on: January 27, 2024, 06:31:37 pm »
He's currently on 2.0 PPG with Villa. 92 points from 46 games

So not above 2.0 then :P
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #495 on: January 27, 2024, 06:31:47 pm »

Dont think there are any managers anywhere bar Guardiola and Klopp that are getting their teams above 90 points.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #496 on: January 27, 2024, 06:32:10 pm »

List of 4?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #497 on: January 27, 2024, 06:33:21 pm »
Did they mention who the other 3 are as well?
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #498 on: January 27, 2024, 06:33:34 pm »
Has to be TepidT2O for me.

.....Ah shit, just saw this. Nevermind:
I already have a job

Sorry

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #499 on: January 27, 2024, 06:33:41 pm »
Dont think there are any managers anywhere bar Guardiola and Klopp that are getting their teams above 90 points.

Well if the Bundesliga was a 38-game league, Leverkusen are currently on course for 98 points. They have more points than Guardiola's Bayern ever had at this stage of the season.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #500 on: January 27, 2024, 06:33:58 pm »
I know very little of him to be honest Samie, hence the exclusion. Still, the Portuguese league, whilst an excellent development ground for many players playing in Europe for the first time, isn't exactly top tier in general. He also has no link with the club, and immediately post-Klopp, I feel that is hugely important factor to maintain some degree of continuity.

With the nicely balanced squad we now have, having undergone a significant reboot, there's never a more perfect opportunity for a manager like Xabi to come in and build on that template. I don't understand the shouts of "an impossible act to follow". Better now than having to rebuild from a much lower platform, or like United, scratch effectively.

Yeah, that's fair mate. Also we'd actually have to pay to get him as he's got a £15m buy out clause in his deal and that's before any of his staff too.  ;D

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #501 on: January 27, 2024, 06:34:37 pm »

Alonso
Di Zerbi
Amorim
Frank

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #502 on: January 27, 2024, 06:34:43 pm »
The only thing nagging at me is their history with the Sox is basically one good hire, one shit one (and I'm someone people have called an FSG apologist!).  I'd argue the same with us but I wouldn't want to upset any Rodgers ultras that might be still around.

Fair point, it depends where you stand on Rodgers.

It's another conversation altogether but while he wasn't a great manager, I don't think he was shit either. I backed him, and I think he generally did a decent job for a club that was still finding its feet - owners and manager included.

But for sure, he wasn't what we would call elite standard. And that's the standards Liverpool need. Measuring managers based on statistical models is one thing, but having another who you would be confident in the heat of battle at the elite end is something else. I'll be honest, its very slim pickings out there because we are comparing to Klopp.

If I were to choose though, it would be Alonso. His players love him at Leverkusen, is doing something quite extraordinary there not seen since Klopp at Dortmund and the playing style is somewhat suitable for us.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 06:38:31 pm by mattD »

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #503 on: January 27, 2024, 06:35:12 pm »
Well if the Bundesliga was a 38-game league, Leverkusen are currently on course for 98 points. They have more points than Guardiola's Bayern ever had at this stage of the season.

Lets see how they get on rest of this season and where they finish i guess. If they win the league he becomes the outstanding candidate. At this stage i would take the safer bet but by the end it could be obvious.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #504 on: January 27, 2024, 06:35:15 pm »
Has to be TepidT2O for me.

.....Ah shit, just saw this. Nevermind:

Who on RAWK fits the bill then considering some have said no to all the suspected choices?

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #505 on: January 27, 2024, 06:35:42 pm »
Alonso
Di Zerbi
Amorim
Frank

Thomas or Lampard?

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #506 on: January 27, 2024, 06:35:51 pm »
Yeah, that's fair mate. Also we'd actually have to pay to get him as he's got a £15m buy out clause in his deal and that's before any of his staff too.  ;D

I fully expect he'll managing a club in the PL in the next 18 months. If not us, probably one of the Manchester clubs. He's been linked with Man Utd previously

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #507 on: January 27, 2024, 06:36:28 pm »
Thomas or Lampard?

Lampard obviously.  ;)

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #508 on: January 27, 2024, 06:36:35 pm »
Alonso
Di Zerbi
Amorim
Frank

That list was going so well until it got to the end

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #509 on: January 27, 2024, 06:36:51 pm »
Thomas or Lampard?

Fat Frank would force Caroline and Carol to quit the LFC canteen.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #510 on: January 27, 2024, 06:37:31 pm »
Alonso
Di Zerbi
Amorim
Frank
The Athletic ::) suggesting Nagelsmann makes the shortlist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #511 on: January 27, 2024, 06:37:50 pm »
Lets see how they get on rest of this season and where they finish i guess. If they win the league he becomes the outstanding candidate. At this stage i would take the safer bet but by the end it could be obvious.

Would you agree that Leverkusen are a similarly sized club to Valencia, Sevilla and Villarreal?

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: January 27, 2024, 06:39:05 pm »
Alonso
Di Zerbi
Amorim
Frank

Why Frank? He plays fucking terrible football and for all the "Oh Brentford are such a small club what an achievement wow" he hasn't gotten better than midtable.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #513 on: January 27, 2024, 06:39:05 pm »
A little reminder at how far we've come. Some of the candidates mentioned in old articles from when Rodgers got sacked.

Klopp
Ancellotti
Frank de Boer
Ronald Koeman
Walter Mazzarri
Gary Monk
Carragher

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #514 on: January 27, 2024, 06:39:22 pm »
Fat Frank would force Caroline and Carol to quit the LFC canteen.

True. Not even Mona could sort him out.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #515 on: January 27, 2024, 06:40:01 pm »
Well go on then, who's the other 3!
Rúben Amorim
Alonso
De Zebri
And supposedly Terzic of Dortmond  :-\
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 06:58:07 pm by John C »

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #516 on: January 27, 2024, 06:40:31 pm »
Why Frank? He plays fucking terrible football and for all the "Oh Brentford are such a small club what an achievement wow" he hasn't gotten better than midtable.

Ask our data head Will Spearman mate.  ;D

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #517 on: January 27, 2024, 06:41:15 pm »
That's a bit fickle IMO. Why should it absolutely depend on the Bundesliga title? He's already shown he's capable of taking on and pulling ahead of the much richer and established Bayern. What if he falls a point short, or two, come May? We know how that feels, doesn't detract from the achievement of getting that far. Maybe a badly timed injury to one of their key players? Where do you put the threshold?

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #518 on: January 27, 2024, 06:43:31 pm »
A little reminder at how far we've come. Some of the candidates mentioned in old articles from when Rodgers got sacked.

Klopp
Ancellotti
Frank de Boer
Ronald Koeman
Walter Mazzarri
Gary Monk
Carragher
:o You've made that up surely

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #519 on: January 27, 2024, 06:44:27 pm »
Rúben Amorim
Alonso
De Zebri
And supposedly Marco Rose from Dortmond  :-\

To be fair, those all make complete sense. More so than the likes of Frank and Postecoglou, which seem like random guesses from journalists who are based in the UK.