Author Topic: Newcastle United - Property of Saudi Arabia  (Read 174089 times)

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
Re: Newcastle United - Property of Saudi Arabia
« Reply #2200 on: March 6, 2024, 12:59:37 pm »
Exactly. You can see it already.

Their reported £40m per season adidas deal is 8 times their previous Castore shirt deal and is bigger than Liverpool’s basic deal with Nike. Fair market value?

But adidas aren’t a Saudi company so this isn’t a conflict of interest. Oh, look, adidas have just signed an undisclosed strategic partnership deal with Saudi owned Sela, Newcastles lucrative shirt sponsor.

Saudia, Noon, Sela, are all owned by KSA PIF and have all given Newcastle lucrative longterm deals that have passed PL scrutiny. They’re putting the pieces in place in plain sight.

Pfft. You’re just being paranoid.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Paully

• Not the BlackAndWhitey one!
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2201 on: March 7, 2024, 02:13:03 pm »
Some great posts by MonsLibpool on these last few pages - fair play lad!

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2202 on: March 7, 2024, 02:17:25 pm »
Is this the equivalent of Abu Dhabi routing money through Etihad who then 'sponsor' Man City, as revealed in those leaked emails?

Seems more like the ADFC/Puma overinflated deal to me. Think the Etihad one is "you send us the money and we'll send it back"
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #2203 on: March 7, 2024, 02:22:48 pm »

His argument was about as strong as your CL performance :)

Offline Ma Vie en Rouge

• J'aime voir...!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2204 on: March 7, 2024, 02:26:03 pm »

;D

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2205 on: March 7, 2024, 03:03:30 pm »
Back to mid-table obscurity for the head choppers. The Geordie’s will be crying for Mike Ashley back if the Saudi regime don’t copy what Abu Dhabi have done and be quick about it!

Offline Paully

• Kopite
« Reply #2206 on: March 7, 2024, 03:05:54 pm »

Ha ha!

Very harsh! A ridiculous injury time pen decision at PSG cost us going through to be fair!

Hopefully we can have a good end to the season with finally having bodies back meaning several options off the bench to finish in the Europa or Conference League!

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2207 on: March 7, 2024, 03:10:38 pm »
Ha ha!

Very harsh! A ridiculous injury time pen decision at PSG cost us going through to be fair!

Hopefully we can have a good end to the season with finally having bodies back meaning several options off the bench to finish in the Europa or Conference League!

It was a strong start, four points from the first two games (and on paper two of the tougher ones) and then a bit shit from there. Only a few points off 6th so there's a chance of Europe

Oops I was sucked in for a minute there to talking about you as if you're a football club  :butt

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2208 on: March 7, 2024, 03:22:49 pm »
It was a strong start, four points from the first two games (and on paper two of the tougher ones) and then a bit shit from there. Only a few points off 6th so there's a chance of Europe

Oops I was sucked in for a minute there to talking about you as if you're a football club  :butt
Yeah, careful. He comes on here pretending to be a supporter of a football club and not a despotic regime.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2209 on: March 7, 2024, 03:49:04 pm »
Yeah, careful. He comes on here pretending to be a supporter of a football club and not a despotic regime.
They are owned by sportwashers but without the benefits. Yuck!

That could have been Man United as well.
« Last Edit: March 7, 2024, 03:50:35 pm by MonsLibpool »

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #2210 on: March 7, 2024, 03:51:45 pm »
Ha ha!

They have more experience in using their oil money to get what they want obviously
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2211 on: March 7, 2024, 03:52:34 pm »

Apart from the benefits of fake, inflated sponsorships and spending hundreds of millions you mean?

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2212 on: March 7, 2024, 03:54:15 pm »
Apart from the benefits of fake, inflated sponsorships and spending hundreds of millions you mean?
They will be 6th at best in most seasons. FFP and a better regulatiry environment is stifling them.

Other sportwashers could distract themselves from the guilt with trophies. Newcastle can't.
« Last Edit: March 7, 2024, 03:58:07 pm by MonsLibpool »

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2213 on: March 7, 2024, 03:55:11 pm »

What dyou mean without the benefits...? :D

I never expected to see a Liverpool fan making such a foolish argument defending the Saudis. Abu Dhabi got taken over in 2008 and didn't see any benefit until 2012. And you're preaching that Saudi Arabia havent seen any benefit when they got taken over two and a half years ago. Staggering lack of common sense from yourself. More to the point....havent seen any benefit? In their second full season they got to their highest league position in twenty years. I'd say thats a pretty big benefit.

Honestly, whats your motivation to be making such a show of yourself sticking up for them on a Liverpool forum?

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2214 on: March 7, 2024, 03:57:05 pm »
What dyou mean without the benefits...? :D

I never expected to see a Liverpool fan making such a foolish argument defending the Saudis. Abu Dhabi got taken over in 2008 and didn't see any benefit until 2012. And you're preaching that Saudi Arabia havent seen any benefit when they got taken over two and a half years ago. Staggering lack of common sense from yourself. More to the point....havent seen any benefit? In their second full season they got to their highest league position in twenty years. I'd say thats a pretty big benefit.

Honestly, whats your motivation to be making such a show of yourself sticking up for them on a Liverpool forum?
Last season was a fluke.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2215 on: March 7, 2024, 04:20:54 pm »
Last season was a fluke.

That makes sense actually

See I was thinking that having a net spend over two years that likely eclipsed their net spend of the previous decade, and then getting into the CL spot (and this season a lot higher than they used to be), would be seen as a benefit of their new despotic owners. But you've convinced me otherwise. Just a fluke, nothing to see here, look over there at Leicester look just look stop looking here this is all fine, look at Leicester.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #2216 on: March 7, 2024, 04:25:47 pm »

I missed your answer to the following, being as you are here today and obviously have time to post, here’s the question again:

Paully, what do you think of: https://twitter.com/NoSaudiToon

Do you support what they are doing? Are you involved with what they are doing?

I can’t think why any decent Newcastle fan would NOT be involved with what they are trying to do for the good of the club they love, so are you involved?

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2217 on: March 7, 2024, 04:27:50 pm »
That makes sense actually

See I was thinking that having a net spend over two years that likely eclipsed their net spend of the previous decade, and then getting into the CL spot (and this season a lot higher than they used to be), would be seen as a benefit of their new despotic owners. But you've convinced me otherwise. Just a fluke, nothing to see here, look over there at Leicester look just look stop looking here this is all fine, look at Leicester.
First of all, you misinterpreted my first post which shows your bias. I said that a team like Chelsea, could use trophies to distract themselves from the guilt of being owned by a Russian gangster and that Newcastle can't. Does that sound like defending them?

Secondly, clubs can lose £105m over 3 years and their initial spending spree covered the slack left by Mike Ashley in that regard. Going forward, they can't spend like that because the rules have changed. The PL is adopting UEFA's 80% squad cost rule.

And if you're talking about sponsorships. All you need to do is to re-read the thread. It's not difficult.  If the issue is being sponsored by related parties , Leicester are and nobody has an issue with it. The main thing is for it to be at a fair value and for the league to approve it.

There is no need to use mental gymnastics to spin my words :D

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #2218 on: March 7, 2024, 04:28:03 pm »

what benefits are there for a club to be owned by human rights abusers?

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2219 on: March 7, 2024, 04:35:02 pm »
First of all, you misinterpreted my first post which shows your bias. I said that a team like Chelsea, could use trophies to distract themselves from the guilt of being owned by a Russian gangster and that Newcastle can't. Does that sound like defending them?

Secondly, clubs can lose £105m over 3 years and their initial spending spree covered the slack left by Mike Ashley in that regard. Going forward, they can't spend luke that because the rules have changed.

And if you're talking about sponsorships. All you need to do is to re-read the thread. It's not difficult.  If the issue is being sponsored by related parties , Leicester are and nobody has an issue with it. The main thing is for it to be at a fair value and for the league to approve it.

There is no need to use mental gymnastics to spin my words :D

You've already been owned by a few posters on the subject, there's no need to inflict any more pain!

All I was doing was responding to:

They are getting the benefits. Clearly. Its there in the league positions, its there in the spending, its there in the players they're able to attract, all of which then helps with the inflated 'genuine' sponsorships they can get which then you know....leads to being able to spend even more, leads to being able to attract even better players, and leads to better league positions...which then helps with even more inflated sponsorships, which leads to being able to spend even more, leads to being able to attract even better players, and leads to better league positions. And then all of a sudden we have a sportswasher winning 4/5 league titles in a row, winning European Cups, dominating domestic cup competitions and using their 'genuine' sponsorship deals to parade themselves as the 'highest earning club in the world'.

Its a shame there isn't some sort of team we could use as an example, but I guess as Liverpool fans we're lucky that we've not suffered at the hands of such a team. Carry on though mate, arguing for sportswashers on Liverpool forum isn't likely to rile or annoy anyone, for the reason just mentioned :)

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2220 on: March 7, 2024, 04:43:58 pm »
Saudicastle are just conscious that City have 115 charges and are watching that one carefully. They don't want to spend a fortune then have it taken away, they are pulling every string they can and trying to ensure that is (appears) legal and defensible in court.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2221 on: March 7, 2024, 04:50:56 pm »
Saudicastle are just conscious that City have 115 charges and are watching that one carefully. They don't want to spend a fortune then have it taken away, they are pulling every string they can and trying to ensure that is (appears) legal and defensible in court.
It's not that they don't want to break the rules (they've been voting against stricter regulations). It's that they can't.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
    • Terry O'Shea @184tosh
« Reply #2222 on: March 7, 2024, 04:51:36 pm »
When's Beheaddie going to get the chop then?

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2223 on: March 7, 2024, 05:04:13 pm »
You've already been owned by a few posters on the subject, there's no need to inflict any more pain!

All I was doing was responding to:

They are getting the benefits. Clearly. Its there in the league positions, its there in the spending, its there in the players they're able to attract, all of which then helps with the inflated 'genuine' sponsorships they can get which then you know....leads to being able to spend even more, leads to being able to attract even better players, and leads to better league positions...which then helps with even more inflated sponsorships, which leads to being able to spend even more, leads to being able to attract even better players, and leads to better league positions. And then all of a sudden we have a sportswasher winning 4/5 league titles in a row, winning European Cups, dominating domestic cup competitions and using their 'genuine' sponsorship deals to parade themselves as the 'highest earning club in the world'.

Its a shame there isn't some sort of team we could use as an example, but I guess as Liverpool fans we're lucky that we've not suffered at the hands of such a team. Carry on though mate, arguing for sportswashers on Liverpool forum isn't likely to rile or annoy anyone, for the reason just mentioned :)
You're being childish mate. Now, I clearly said that I was speaking from a professional POV and isn't that the point of a forum? So that we can enrich it with different perspectives.  I clearly don't know as much as you when it comes to your profession and I don't mean this in an arrogant way but you're deluded and naive if you really think a Professional Accountant versed in these rules and the regulatory environment got "owned" by people that are not experts in the field :D

Now, on to your argument. What I got from your long winded posts is that they inflated sponsorships and this led to an improvement in their performance and it will eventually lead to them winning many trophies.

First of all, when did their "inflated" sponsorships (the PL disagrees) come in and how did it have an impact on them finishing in the top 4 last season?? If you want to make an "argument" at least it should be cogent.

Secondly, all the money they spent to qualify for the CL was to cover Mike Ashley's slack and it was well within the rules. If it wasn't,  they'll have broken FFP by now. You also talked about them attracting better players. Were you under a rock during the summer transfer window? They wanted Szobo but they had no chance when we came in. They can't pay huge wages due to the financial constraints which has an impact on who they can bring. Their squad is nowhere near CL and last season was a fluke.

Thirdly, why do you think they were voting against stricter regulations? Because they know that it will restrict them even further. They are currently restricted as Saudi can't throw money at it and buy the best players like sportwashers do and it will be tighter and tighter going forward.

The PL is now aligning with the UEFA rules which makes revenue more important. For all your rambling about related party deals (that Leicester have benefited from for years only limited by their owner's wealth, tighter regulations are coming in. Notwithstanding,  the PL didn't want Saudi to take over in the first place and, as a result, their every move is watched with a high level of scrutiny.

Speaking from my professional lens, I just don't see how they'll eventually do what you think they'll do. Not subscribing to sheep-like group think doesn't mean I'm supporting sportwashers.
« Last Edit: March 7, 2024, 05:19:00 pm by MonsLibpool »

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2224 on: March 7, 2024, 05:10:30 pm »
Newcastles issue isn't what they have spent, its what they can't spend in the future. The PL is closing all the loopholes that Abu Dhabi have exploited since 2008, fake sponsorships from non  existent companies, owner related sponsors, hugely inflated sponsorship deals (Etihad for one), they're going to have to get very creative to find a way to funnel some of those PIF billions into the club.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline ValiantInstance

• Main Stander
« Reply #2225 on: March 7, 2024, 05:15:31 pm »
It's virtually impossible for a Newcastle or City fan to come on here and have an earnest conversation about on the pitch performance. We all know it's a farce.

And that's not because "the cartel 6 boys (ironically one being Man City themselves) are scared of us upsetting the apple cart". Literally no one had gripes about Leicester winning the league. It was an incredible achievement, and most importantly it was real. Anything those two achieve is completely hollow.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2226 on: March 7, 2024, 05:43:54 pm »
It's still missing the point. It's about "fair value" and not whether they are sponsored by a related entity.

The Premier League (i.e technically a committee of the 20 clubs) reviewed the deal and they were fine with it LOL.

But I'm not surprised though because some jump to conclusions and defend them till the end. First, they were going to buy trophies, then use inflated sponsorship and loan players from Saudi ;D

Also, by "neutral", I'm referring to the public opinion. You literally can't post one article saying that the deal is inflated which is what the rules are about.

Fair value would be market value. Could they find a non-associated company to sponsor for the same, or similar, amount? I doubt it and that's why they've used an associated company. Getting in the CL for one season doesn't quadruple their commercial value. They're not well supported outside of Newcastle.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2227 on: March 7, 2024, 06:16:59 pm »
Newcastles issue isn't what they have spent, its what they can't spend in the future. The PL is closing all the loopholes that Abu Dhabi have exploited since 2008, fake sponsorships from non  existent companies, owner related sponsors, hugely inflated sponsorship deals (Etihad for one), they're going to have to get very creative to find a way to funnel some of those PIF billions into the club.

Are they? The Adidas/Sela deals seem like pretty clear evidence that Newcastle are exploiting the exact same loopholes City have, they're just going about it in a slower and more organic looking way.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #2228 on: March 7, 2024, 10:51:28 pm »

Weren't they close to being relegated just before they sold their soul? My memory might be a bit off because I don't normally take any interest in them, but I could swear they were odds on to get relegated but managed to buy themselves out of it. If so, that's a pretty sizable benefit which has now allowed them to establish themselves as PL also-rans.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2229 on: March 7, 2024, 11:10:30 pm »
Weren't they close to being relegated just before they sold their soul? My memory might be a bit off because I don't normally take any interest in them, but I could swear they were odds on to get relegated but managed to buy themselves out of it. If so, that's a pretty sizable benefit which has now allowed them to establish themselves as PL also-rans.
They spent money they were allowed to spend under FFP/PSR. Is that really buying your way out of a problem?

Mike Ashley didn't spend probably because he was waiting for the sale to go through.

https://x.com/KieranMaguire/status/1446089512258613254?s=20
« Last Edit: March 7, 2024, 11:15:33 pm by MonsLibpool »

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2230 on: March 7, 2024, 11:13:54 pm »
Fair value would be market value. Could they find a non-associated company to sponsor for the same, or similar, amount? I doubt it and that's why they've used an associated company. Getting in the CL for one season doesn't quadruple their commercial value. They're not well supported outside of Newcastle.
I doubt a third party would offer them that. The dair value is forward-looking and their argument would have been that £25m is reasonable for a team that is expected be in the Europa/CL regularly. Given that  teams like Spurs are more established at doing that then it made sense for Newcastle's deal to be lower

The PL hasn't banned related party deals. Mike Ashley had one for their stadium. Just don't take the piss and let it be reasonable.  That's why Man City are in hot water today.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #2231 on: March 7, 2024, 11:22:54 pm »
They spent money they were allowed to spend under FFP/PSR. Is that really buying your way out of a problem?

Mike Ashley didn't spend probably because he was waiting for the sale to go through.

https://x.com/KieranMaguire/status/1446089512258613254?s=20
Ashley wouldn't have spent it anyway. He was as tight as a ducks arse in a flood. The spend may well have been legal, but it was done by the Saudis. The club clearly benefitted from the sportswashers coming in. Owners that should never have passed the fit and proper criteria in the first place.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2232 on: March 7, 2024, 11:53:38 pm »
Ashley wouldn't have spent it anyway. He was as tight as a ducks arse in a flood. The spend may well have been legal, but it was done by the Saudis. The club clearly benefitted from the sportswashers coming in. Owners that should never have passed the fit and proper criteria in the first place.
https://theathletic.com/4384577/2023/04/06/newcastle-takeover-saudi-arabia-uk-government?source=user-shared-article

https://theathletic.com/4375454/2023/04/06/saudi-newcastle-boris-government?source=user-shared-article
« Last Edit: March 7, 2024, 11:59:01 pm by MonsLibpool »

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2233 on: March 8, 2024, 12:28:22 am »
They are like the incredible Hulk in a straightjacket, they will be pulling every string they can to expand their budgets. Of course, if they are clever, they will stay within the rules but I really do not believe the Saudi Government have any respect for these rules and will be pressing their paid hands to make progress asap. Last year they, for reasons as much to with the poor form of others, they were ahead of schedule so seemed quite relaxed. This season I suspect Europa League Qualification would again see them relatively happy.

If they slip up though and finish 8th or lower I suspect they will feel the need to press the foot to the floor a little more. Its probably about doing all they can to spend their endless wealth in such a way that does not shine a light on them or is seen to break the rules. Do I feel the top people at the club will be telling their masters in Riyadh that they want to play with an absolutely straight bat and not bend fortune in their favour, no.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2234 on: March 8, 2024, 10:01:27 am »
Gibberish

Again Mons. What you said was 'they're owned by sportswashers without the benefits'.

You can type as much whataboutery as you like, they have very obviously seen the benefit. And the point of that benefit is what it enables them to do IN THE FUTURE. I couldnt give a toss if they've been found to have broken any rules. They spent money that they were entitled to spend...which was ploughed in by sportswashers. That. Is. The. Point. Understand yet? :D

Its the exact same process that has seen Man City get to the point they're at now. I imagine you'd have been making the same argument supporting Abu Dhabi in 2010 like you're doing now supporting Saudi. 'They're not breaking any rules and they're still mid table so this is fine, look over there look at that club, look at Chelsea'.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2235 on: March 8, 2024, 10:22:45 am »
Bollocks about what he knows little about
''Empty vessels make the loudest noise''... :D

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2236 on: March 8, 2024, 10:41:31 am »
The strangest of hills to die on.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2237 on: March 8, 2024, 10:45:39 am »
''Empty vessels make the loudest noise''... :D

:)

Instead of continuing to make a show of yourself on this issue, can you just answer the question of how Newcastle haven't benefited from being owned by sportswashers over their previous owner? Just answer it. Shoot.

Offline Paully

• Kopite
« Reply #2238 on: March 8, 2024, 12:26:24 pm »
I missed your answer to the following, being as you are here today and obviously have time to post, here’s the question again:

I've got zero control of who owns NUFC and no I'm not involved.

Offline Paully

• Kopite
« Reply #2239 on: March 8, 2024, 12:27:15 pm »

Dear Lord