Author Topic: 4th place is lava, who'll get it?  (Read 26163 times)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 4th place is lava, who'll get it?
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2022, 10:15:33 pm »
United. It looked unlikely last season too, but again none of their rivals can be relied upon to go on a decent run when it matters.

The only reason people are backing Arsenal is because they have two games in hand. Not playing does wonders for your reputation it seems. Don't see why it's assumed they will win both.

I picked Arsenal because the Mancs have just come off a piss easy run and took 12 from 30 pts, they have us and City away and also Chelsea to play, they're getting nothing from those 3 games, Arsenal have a better run of games.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2022, 10:37:17 pm »
I picked Arsenal because the Mancs have just come off a piss easy run and took 12 from 30 pts, they have us and City away and also Chelsea to play, they're getting nothing from those 3 games, Arsenal have a better run of games.
Yep, then there's Leicester as well. That's at most a draw, given this gang of muppets in their current state.
Look at this minefield compared to the run United just had(Everton's a given so we're not going to talk about that):

Brighton H
Leeds A
Watford H
Manchester City A
Tottenham H
Liverpool A
Leicester H
Everton A
Norwich H
Arsenal A
Brentford H
Brighton A
Chelsea H
Crystal Palace A

If they could only muster 12 points during one of the most favorable run of fixtures since Ole's first few, I dunno how they're going to better that in this run.
I can see Arsenal doing it in their remaining fixtures and I can see Spurs doing it...
Arsenal's prolly got the easiest run-in of them 3.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 08:08:18 am by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2022, 10:58:34 pm »
United will probably sneak it (probably on the last day again) as they do have out and out match winners on their day. The others are too inconsistent. I fancied Spurs a few weeks ago but losing at home to Saints and Wolves has massively dented their chances. If they didn’t do that miraculous comeback against Leicester a few weeks ago they wouldn’t even be in the conversation.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2022, 07:35:43 am »
My lad walked into the living room yesterday and says, with a big grin on his face, Mum, Ronaldo superstar forward has 0 goals in 2021, Fabinho, defensive midfielder has 5
6 😁
Jurgen YNWA

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2022, 07:50:24 am »
I hope Arsenal get it if one of West Ham or Wolves don't. Would be nice to see a new face but if its between Spurs/Arsenal/Utd then its a no brainer for me.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2022, 08:03:28 am »
I'd like Wolves to get in. Arsenal & West Ham missing out could assist in Bowen & Saka becoming available with no CL. Obviously, there's no way I'd want Man United to get the leverage of CL in recruiting of players or a manager.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2022, 09:05:52 am »
We have a great chance now. People mention spurs games in hand but they’ve played the same number as us and are 3 behind , with a far worse goal difference , and go to city next.
Then they mention games in hand doesn’t mean points but we are 2 behind west ham with 3 games in hand. 1 behind United with 2 games in hand. We are getting to a point where we can afford a blip and still be ok for 4th. At the moment Wolves may be our closest challengers but they score even less goals than us so looking good. Obviously we could still blow it from here but everyone around us looks even worse than us.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2022, 04:41:31 pm »
Burnley, if they win all their games in hand.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2022, 04:43:02 pm »
We have a great chance now. People mention spurs games in hand but they’ve played the same number as us and are 3 behind , with a far worse goal difference , and go to city next.
Then they mention games in hand doesn’t mean points but we are 2 behind west ham with 3 games in hand. 1 behind United with 2 games in hand. We are getting to a point where we can afford a blip and still be ok for 4th. At the moment Wolves may be our closest challengers but they score even less goals than us so looking good. Obviously we could still blow it from here but everyone around us looks even worse than us.

Isn't one of your games in hand against Spurs? At Spurs? Huge game that is.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2022, 04:50:47 pm »
My lad walked into the living room yesterday and says, with a big grin on his face, Mum, Ronaldo superstar forward has 0 goals in 2021, Fabinho, defensive midfielder has 5
6 😁

Good lad.. 8)
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2022, 04:54:16 pm »
I would've said Spurs a week ago, so who knows. I expect 65 points will be enough to seal it.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2022, 04:57:43 pm »
Anyone except the gooners. Just so I can goad my mates.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2022, 04:58:45 pm »
Anyone except the gooners. Just so I can goad my mates.

Hopefully United get it so we can laugh at Arsenal, that'd be class
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2022, 05:31:20 pm »
Isn't one of your games in hand against Spurs? At Spurs? Huge game that is.

Who knows when that’ll be rescheduled for. It’s a game they need to win anyway

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2022, 05:58:03 pm »
I expect Arsenal to nick it.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2022, 07:38:04 pm »
I'm not sure what thread I said it in but I expect this to be whoever is the least shitty of the pile of teams still in this race. To think any of them should give you any confidence at all is I think a bit misplaced. Arsenal are benefitting from the fact they just aren't playing much and while from a numbers standpoint they seem to have the advantage now it should surprise no one if they hit a bad patch just like these other teams have as well. None of them have earned any real credit that they can go on any type of sustained run and there are a lot of games left. I'd hazard that whoever we think looks the team now will change next month and then the month after.

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2022, 07:45:37 pm »
Hope either Wolves or West Ham get it, even though they aren't exactly likable either.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
    • Terry O'Shea @184tosh
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2022, 09:00:44 pm »
Hope either Wolves or West Ham get it, even though they aren't exactly likable either.
I get the dislike for West Ham. Why are Wolves disliked, or have I missed something?

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2022, 09:21:32 pm »
I get the dislike for West Ham. Why are Wolves disliked, or have I missed something?

Their existence in the PL is solely as a vehicle for wealth extraction by Mendes via dodgy Portuguese transfer dealings.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2022, 09:23:03 pm »
Flat track bullies Arsenal to take it is what I reckon either way.
Linudden.

Offline Perseus

• Anny Roader
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2022, 04:02:20 pm »
Arsenal neck and neck with United, if United win tonight

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2022, 05:02:20 pm »
I don't mind Arsenal but I can't have Lego head, so for that reason I hope it isn't them.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2022, 05:03:12 pm »
As someone else has already said, they're basically Mendes FC

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2022, 06:52:56 pm »

Loads of sign on sign on, feed the scousers shite when we play them, cheeky fuckers, Wolverhampton is a fucking dump.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Dr Stu-Pid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2022, 07:38:03 pm »
Arsenal have to be massive favourites for 4th place just due to their points total and games played, and that is before you factor in that they are now out of all of the cups and so have no distractions and the fewest games left to play.

On top of that they've been by far the most consistent team of the bunch, and in their last 20 games they've picked up 9 or 10 points in each of the 5 game blocks (3 x 10 and 1 x 9).  So that feels like the team that they really are, and if you project that out to the end of the season they'd finish on 67- 68 points.

In order to match that points total, all of their top 4 rivals would have to play at a level of better than 2 points per game, which is equivalent to 76 points over a full season, or basically what Chelsea have done to date.  That doesn't seem likely for any of those teams.

Arsenal's biggest weakness has been their games against the top teams (losses to City x 2, Liverpool, and Chelsea), but they have faired well against those around them beating Spurs, West Ham, and Wolves, with Utd being their only loss.  Injuries to key players could really hurt them as well, but that is the case for all of the teams.

But having said all of that, predicting who is going to finish 4th is a bit like predicting who will win a race between a bunch of your p*ssed up mates running down the high street, it's basically trying to guess which one will trip over their own feet the least.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2022, 07:25:54 pm »
Fuck it, I'm cheering for Spurs
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2022, 07:34:58 pm »
Arsenal I guess. Could be anyone. Just looking forward to seeing United tumble down when the games in hand catch up.

For such a crap team they've not done as bad as I thought. But I want anyone but them.

Arsenal or West Ham. I think I'd prefer West Ham or even Wolves for variety's sake but basically the only club I don't outright hate is Arsenal, more mild disinterest  ;D

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2022, 07:39:37 pm »
Arsenal I guess. Could be anyone. Just looking forward to seeing United tumble down when the games in hand catch up.

For such a crap team they've not done as bad as I thought. But I want anyone but them.

Arsenal or West Ham. I think I'd prefer West Ham or even Wolves for variety's sake but basically the only club I don't outright hate is Arsenal, more mild disinterest  ;D
West Ham's performances suggest that they are out of it.

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2022, 09:39:06 pm »
I think Arsenal will do it. Tough to say though. Spurs got a big boost today beating City, and while Man Utd are crap, they have enough talent to pop up with enough results to do it themselves. I think West Ham and Wolves will be 7-8th.

Liverpool
Man City
Chelsea
Arsenal
Spurs
Man Utd
West Ham
Wolves

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2022, 09:45:30 pm »
Its between Man utd and Spurs

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2022, 09:52:04 pm »
Loads of sign on sign on, feed the scousers shite when we play them, cheeky fuckers, Wolverhampton is a fucking dump.

Be honest Rob. It’s the dodgy taxis isn’t it?

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2022, 10:05:19 pm »
Winner of Spurs vs Arsenal gets it.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2022, 10:06:58 pm »
We're all fuckin Tottenham arent we?
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2022, 05:16:41 am »
Fuck it, I'm cheering for Spurs
this all day.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2022, 06:08:00 am »
Wolves would be nice as a one-off, but if not them then personally, I'm fine with United finishing 4th and i'll explain why.

They'll always have unlimited funds, so outside the top 4 or not they'll always spend and will always attract players.

The likes of Spurs and Arsenal on the other hand, how long can they continue signing CL players and paying CL wages when they're not receiving CL money?

Give them shiteloads of money and they'll potentially close the gap on us, but if they miss out again they're fucked.

This makes absolutely zero sense...
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2022, 06:10:14 am »
We're all fuckin Tottenham arent we?

What you do on your own time is none of our business
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2022, 06:14:15 am »
Purely in terms of what would help Liverpool most, who do we want to finish 4th? I think you could argue that United finishing 4th is better for us than any of the others. I'd rather have West Ham, Spurs and Arsenal with zero pull or spending power - United will still have some regardless of where they finish plus 4th might continue to paper over the cracks they have.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2022, 12:47:40 pm »
Be honest Rob. It’s the dodgy taxis isn’t it?

Yeah, the bastards :no
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2022, 12:49:10 pm »
Honestly, no idea they are all as bad as each other but hope Wolves sneak it.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2022, 12:49:39 pm »
Purely in terms of what would help Liverpool most, who do we want to finish 4th? I think you could argue that United finishing 4th is better for us than any of the others. I'd rather have West Ham, Spurs and Arsenal with zero pull or spending power - United will still have some regardless of where they finish plus 4th might continue to paper over the cracks they have.

We saw with Diaz just how much pull Spurs have when it comes to players. I have no fear of the Mancs regardless, they are the Utd I grew up with, but for giggles I much prefer them playing Thursday nights.
Jurgen YNWA