Author Topic: PL: Liverpool 0 v 1 Brighton Alzate 55’  (Read 36018 times)

Offline lfc-dub

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: PL: Liverpool 0 v 1 Brighton Alzate 55’
« Reply #280 on: February 3, 2021, 10:33:04 pm »
Just keep mindlessly slinging high balls into the box. It will eventually result in a shot on goal, won't it? Looking forward to that day.

Offline MJD-L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Mellor, lovely cushioned header...For GERRAAARD!"
« Reply #281 on: February 3, 2021, 10:33:07 pm »
Jota & Virgil can't come back soon enough.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #282 on: February 3, 2021, 10:33:09 pm »
Ever since Fat Sam and his West Brom team sat back blocked the full backs, 9 in the pen box and blocking the final 3rd then they have all copied that set up.

We're struggling to cope with breaking it down. 

It's like we are missing a Jack Grealish, or a wide player that can beat men.

City is a must win now or title has gone.

Title went when we lost VVD and Gomez its Citys.

Grealish is good but does he play against low block teams its a different game.

Offline Desert Red Fox

• Legacy Fan
  • Orange and Red!
« Reply #283 on: February 3, 2021, 10:33:13 pm »
That was... terrible. But I'm more sad than angry, to be honest. I can't bring myself to be angry with the players and staff, considering the great moments they've given us in these past couple of years. I'm not going to slate them, despite being concerned with the lack of form of certain players or their performance in this match.

I'm more sad than angry because I don't like seeing this team playing so well below their own standards. And I know many of them are trying so hard to make things happen and they just... don't. It must be absolutely deflating for the squad seeing the injury list, the pandemic, the non-stop schedule and so on and so on... it's a testament to Klopp and the staff's work that the team hasn't fallen off a cliff and is still fighting for top 4 knowing how hard the injuries have screwed us this season.

Doesn't mean I'm not angry, anyway. Just... not at them, particularly. More about the situation, and the manc fuckers quite possibly strolling towards yet another title.

Hope we get a good Champions League run at least, eh? Wouldn't that be amazing?

PS: I wonder what's up with Origi. Love the guy for what he's done for us, he's a cult hero, but... he was anonymous after he came in and he basically impeded one of our own attacks. He played like a guy knowing he's headed for the way out.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #284 on: February 3, 2021, 10:33:18 pm »
Yes there are injuries, but that was dreadful. God knows what trent was thinking of for their goal.

Plus Gini (?) not making any effort to stop the cross. There was a lack of concentration from a lot of our players tonight.
#JFT97

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: February 3, 2021, 10:33:29 pm »
Also. I know we’re not allowed to say this because he’s classy etc - but Thiago was shit tonight. Feels so far like he’s great in the big games but struggles against a low block. I’m sure he’ll be a world beater, but I’m a bit bored with pretending he has been so far.

To be honest I am not sure we've found the right way to utilise him yet, it's not gelling completely yet. Once he's got used to the team a bit better, and we've found out the right tactics to fit him in, it will all fall I to place. But yeah, right now while you can see he is class, it hasn't completely translated to the team as a whole

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #286 on: February 3, 2021, 10:33:40 pm »
Ever since Fat Sam and his West Brom team sat back blocked the full backs, 9 in the pen box and blocking the final 3rd then they have all copied that set up.

We're struggling to cope with breaking it down. 

It's like we are missing a Jack Grealish, or a wide player that can beat men.

City is a must win now or title has gone.

That's long gone mate.

Offline Racer

• Shit Aldi Snickers
  • Kopite
« Reply #287 on: February 3, 2021, 10:33:58 pm »
This Potter lad might be worth considering
Expelliarmus

Offline lukeb1981

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: February 3, 2021, 10:33:59 pm »
Feel sorry for Klopp , he trusted Shaq then origi and ox , hope shows them the door in the summer .

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: February 3, 2021, 10:34:13 pm »
Paper thin squad exposed is the long and short of it. I feel for the players because most of that team just isn't good enough. They're trying their best, I don't buy that suddenly the desire has gone, but there's 6 or 7 players involved tonight that don't get in any other top 6 team.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: February 3, 2021, 10:34:22 pm »
Yes .. We've done it three times before, and on for the fourth this season.
08/09, 13/14, 18/19
Only ones to have not won the league after being top at Christmas

Thought so. Although I’m sure Villa or Leeds we’re top when that lot won the treble aswell. Surprised we were top in 13/14 as my memory has us upper mid table before we won 13 on the bounce from Arsenal at home to THAT game.

Oh well. We won it last year and that’s more important.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #291 on: February 3, 2021, 10:34:29 pm »
If we want any chance of finishing top 4(coz that's what it's about now), then the manager, the coaching staff and the players need to work hard at finding a solution to breaking these teams down. They simply have to find another way. Because it's not good enough from any of them at the moment.

It’s speed

We are so slow. Midfield especially.

Off the ball forwards and midfield just zero pressure. Was really really bad for that tonight

If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #292 on: February 3, 2021, 10:34:31 pm »
If we want any chance of finishing top 4(coz that's what it's about now), then the manager, the coaching staff and the players need to work hard at finding a solution to breaking these teams down. They simply have to find another way. Because it's not good enough from any of them at the moment.
It’s all too slow at the moment IMO. We aren’t moving the ball quick enough. When we moved it quick once or twice tonight we got in behind.

Origi and Ox aren’t good enough IMO. They were actually counter productive changes tonight. First change I would have made is bring Milner off, he looked spent throughout. Shocked he stayed on. And no, I’m not a CL & PL winning manager but I feel it was obvious.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: February 3, 2021, 10:34:40 pm »
Think the abiding memory of the 2020-21 season will be Trent hopelessly looping the ball into the box 100 times a game. A true throw back to the Stewart Downing days.

Offline Crackerjack Sam

• Legacy Fan
  • Egyptian Magician
« Reply #294 on: February 3, 2021, 10:34:53 pm »
Pedestrian and pathetic! Brighton deserved every bit at that.

Title's gone.
PSN ID - hajme1   
Sticking to RAWK I am.  Real forum, real mods, real fans, fair and unbiased opinions etc..etc.. 8)

Offline Big Dirk

• But with Little Harnds. One of these is incorrerct.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Belfast Red
« Reply #295 on: February 3, 2021, 10:34:54 pm »
Knew we had to win it with the starting 11 when I seen the state of our bench....Origi must wake up every morning and pinch himself.
« Last Edit: February 3, 2021, 10:38:24 pm by Big Dirk »
Born a Red-Live a Red-Die a Red

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: February 3, 2021, 10:36:27 pm »
To be honest I am not sure we've found the right way to utilise him yet, it's not gelling completely yet. Once he's got used to the team a bit better, and we've found out the right tactics to fit him in, it will all fall I to place. But yeah, right now while you can see he is class, it hasn't completely translated to the team as a whole

Oh I agree he’s clearly a class act - but he’s been shit. Obviously the fact he’s come late
Into a new league, had COVID and got smashed by the yard dog across the park are all absolutely valid reasons. And next year he’ll be good. Just find it weird how we seem desperate to say he’s been playing well when he’s been crap. Feels a bit like when United fans are all “POGBACK” whenever he completed three passes in a row. Trying to force it.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #297 on: February 3, 2021, 10:36:32 pm »
This has been among the worst run of performances at Anfield I can remember for ages.

There was so much wrong with that performance tonight. Is it tiredness, illness? The starting XI was just about ok, but the team that finished the match was a bloody rabble. Oxlade-Chamberlain looks finished as a top-flight footballer, while Origi was just miserable. Quite why we didn't replace him after Madrid is a mystery. That's not hindsight speaking. I said so at the time. All the pace in the world is pointless if you don't see plays develop until it's too late. Physicality? He has none. Ball control? One might stick, but three bobble off. Shooting prowess? Only if you give him a few seconds to get his feet sorted out and set up a shot. By the end the poor lad was just getting in the way - merely another body we could have done without in a crowded box.

Henderson was excellent throughout, Thiago competent and Gini top-notch (as he always is). Trent was ok, with nothing much happening in front of him but Robbo was just mediocre, as he has been a lot recently. Deprived of Mane, things were always going to be tough. But he looks unable to make a penetrating run at the moment, with or without the ball. I'd give Tsimikas a chance. 

Quite what Milner did to stay on the pitch apart from give the gaffer a hard time last time he came off I don't know. Maybe Jurgen didn't fancy having to explain himself again. Sorry James, you're great, but you're being over-played. I bet you're tired now. You looked tired most of the game. I bet Curtis Jones wasn't tired.

The League is probably over now. We may think differently if we beat Man City at the weekend. But it will take a miraculous revival to get the spirit of 2019-20 into these bones. 
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: February 3, 2021, 10:36:32 pm »
Ali wouldn't have saved the Brighton goal, but even factoring in that we had 4 of our other very best players missing and our captain was playing out of position it's understandable there'll be many adjectives used to describe our performance tonight.
Mine is pitiful.

I have another adjective for you though. Energetic. That's the word I'd use to describe the bloke we sent on loan who could have busied himself and troubled the Brighton players.

I've seen a few mentions of Minamino now, he's never shown anything of note so I've no idea why people think he would make any difference.

He's essentially Origi but with even less strength.

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #299 on: February 3, 2021, 10:36:38 pm »
Worth remembering that we were without Alisson, Matip, VVD, Gomez, Keita, Fabinho, Mane and Jota tonight.

8 players who would have started.

Put your anger in a little perspective folks.

Gomez and van dijk are out long term. We were happy waiting till transfer deadline day to get in replacements for them when we had a full month to get players in.  Alisson wouldn't have saved that goal today either. Keita and matip are injury prone and can't be relied upon. Jota fabinho and mane fair enough missed their creative spark up there but surely we should have been more prepared when January came around instead of fannying about till deadline day to get players in?

It's also not helping at all that firmino is blowing hot and cold every other game and we've got the likes of origi and chamberlain still in the squad.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #300 on: February 3, 2021, 10:36:47 pm »
Worth remembering that we were without Alisson, Matip, VVD, Gomez, Keita, Fabinho, Mane and Jota tonight.

BOOM!

We have a winner..

Take Ederson, Dias, Laporte, Stones, Rodri, Gundogan, Sterling & Jesus out of City's side & they drop points..no doubt.
Any other side suffers what we have this year & they're mid table at best.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Damian V

• Anny Roader
« Reply #301 on: February 3, 2021, 10:37:03 pm »
The way we attack is too ponderous and predictable. Give the ball to Hendo, hit a long ball. Otherwise pass it around the back four until you get it to one of the fullbacks in space who plays a cross into a packed defence at no one in particular. Rinse, repeat.

We're missing the goals Van Dijk brings from set pieces. Those are so valuable in games like this.
Not sure he'd get on the end of any of Trent's crossing this season

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: February 3, 2021, 10:37:05 pm »
Think the abiding memory of the 2020-21 season will be Trent hopelessly looping the ball into the box 100 times a game. A true throw back to the Stewart Downing days.

He didn’t cross it much today.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #303 on: February 3, 2021, 10:37:46 pm »
That was utterly wretched stuff. No redeeming features, no urgency at all, never a sniff of a chance. Abysmal.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #304 on: February 3, 2021, 10:38:03 pm »
Hoped the last two games marked a genuine turning point in the season. Sadly not. The worst performance of the season no question about it.
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #305 on: February 3, 2021, 10:38:16 pm »
It’s speed

Off the ball forwards and midfield just zero pressure. Was really really bad for that tonight

It's not just speed, it's movement off the ball as well. Players running beyond the oppo's defence. Players being brave and taking risks on the ball instead of playing it safe. It's a shame Naby is made of Weetabix because he is one of the few players that's capable of opening things up for us with his runs as well.

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: February 3, 2021, 10:38:23 pm »
BOOM!

We have a winner..

Take Ederson, Dias, Laporte, Stones, Rodri, Gundogan, Sterling & Jesus out of City's side & they drop points..no doubt.
Any other side suffers what we have this year & they're mid table at best.

You’re right. Although they did lose a lot of that list for long periods last year and came (a distant) 2nd on far more points than were on for...

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #307 on: February 3, 2021, 10:38:53 pm »
It’s speed

Agree. Posted something very similar earlier. Tonight might've been one our slowest lineups ever. Out of 10 field players 7 were slow and below and of the other 3, one does not do a lot of defending or running. Worrying lack of pace.

Offline fallenhd

• Anny Roader
« Reply #308 on: February 3, 2021, 10:39:16 pm »
Still Klopp and his coaching staff have to take some blame for tonight. Need to have a plan to pay against teams who are going to play in low block. From min 1 even though we started well, you could see the plan was the same. Yes it worked the last two season against such but due to injuries we don't have the same personal. It's literally the definition of insanity.

Offline d.arn

• Kopite
« Reply #309 on: February 3, 2021, 10:39:23 pm »
The whole get it to the fullbacks thing has been worked out.

Yep. Both Robbo's and Trent's crosses are most dangerous when they play them early and behind the defence, with the defenders running towards their own goal. Teams are not letting them do that anymore. They just sit deep and defend crosses with their backs to the goal. But Trent/Robbo are also too deep to have any chance to get the opportunity for an early cross.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: February 3, 2021, 10:39:31 pm »

so five at the back, four up top, and just the one in the middle then? ;D

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #311 on: February 3, 2021, 10:40:12 pm »
Or you can be like this guy, an absolute weapon.

What do you expect he is fucking appalled!
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: February 3, 2021, 10:40:17 pm »
Title went when we lost VVD and Gomez its Citys.

Grealish is good but does he play against low block teams its a different game.

It doesn’t matter in regards to Grealish because he can dribble, in fact he would instantly be the best dribbler in our team, he’s probably the best in the league. His usage of the ball is exactly what we may find useful against low blocks, he can pick locks, play neat one twos and take players out the game.

We won’t get him either way but I think he is made for a big team.

Offline mkferdy

• "Zlat's all, folks!" (yes, that's MY joke!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: February 3, 2021, 10:40:35 pm »
We haven’t helped ourselves either as what little options we have had this season to rotate we haven’t done it.

Ox and Jones have been sitting on the bench fit a while now, I don’t think they would of been any worse if they started today. Come the weekend other than the keeper it will most likely be the same line up again.

Going to be a real slog to the end of the season.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #314 on: February 3, 2021, 10:40:36 pm »
He didn’t cross it much today.

Probably because he was playing right sided centre back terrified to leave Phillips. For the first hour even when he attacked he stayed narrow to cover Nat.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #315 on: February 3, 2021, 10:40:59 pm »
Just thinking forward to august/Sep now to be honest.

Fans in ground sun shining players back covid under better control and lockdowns gone

Fab Hendo in middle Virgil at back

Ah I can smell the cut grass now.

If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #316 on: February 3, 2021, 10:41:03 pm »
I only tuned-in via text commentary on my phone, but after 20 minutes I knew we wouldn't win. By half-time I knew we'd lose.

I'm not even sure what to make of it, if I'm honest. The entire season doesn't feel real anyway. Everyone has been absolutely dreadful, but with a few cricket score wins under their belts too. It's been clear for quite some time that if one side could find consistency, then they'd win this league quite easily. After being dreadful for a good while, Abu Dhabi have found their groove, so should now take it with a canter.

The Mancs won't be getting near it. Far too much inconsistency in them too. Fits and starts for them. Declaring themselves champions-elect one week, then losing at home to Sheffield United the next. For us, well I just find it sad that rather than attack this title defence, we've capitulated rather meekly. Then again, this is not the Liverpool that lifted the title. It's a butchered, cobbled together picture that changes every week, has no consistency, no mentality, no cohesion and has been unable to build any momentum at all. The overwhelming contributing factors being out of our control, too.

Factor in the fact that we've had the most bizarre run of bad injuries and bad luck that I've ever seen in the game. Factor in that this is a freak, dog's dinner of a season only played out in order to bring in TV money. Factor in there being no fans in stadiums and the game being suffocated by VAR and desperately inept officiating, and what we have is what we are seeing. A freak show in a freak season in freak times.

The light at the end of the tunnel for me is the fact that absolutely nothing lasts forever. Hopefully, by the start of next season we will have fans in stadiums, and by then this bizarre run of appalling injuries and luck will have evened out again and we can start what will, for me at least, be our proper title defence in more authentic circumstances.
« Last Edit: February 3, 2021, 10:46:57 pm by Son of Spion* »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline AussieHKRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #317 on: February 3, 2021, 10:41:05 pm »
We don't deserve a point today.  Freaking poor

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #318 on: February 3, 2021, 10:41:13 pm »
Hoped the last two games marked a genuine turning point in the season. Sadly not. The worst performance of the season no question about it.

Klopp eluded to it after the game that the players were tired after putting in a huge shift at Spurs and West Ham in the previous 6 days (including two trips down to London) and it caught up with us. Added to losing Mane and not being able to rotate the squad due to injuries.

I think we should still have made a change or two. Jones could have started for example. Wijnaldum looked goosed.

You play 3 games in 6 days with the same team (minus more injuries which further weakened the quality of the side) and that's what happens.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline abetts

• Anny Roader
« Reply #319 on: February 3, 2021, 10:41:23 pm »
It was a poor and disjointed performance, obviously, but I really feel for the players. We're a makeshift outfit at the moment. Every game there's a new injury or illness to contend with. Even if a player is in the team consistently, it's not certain he'll play in the same position as the last game. No wonder we cannot maintain or sometimes find the rhythm needed at the top level. And then there's no crowd to urge them on when the chips are down.