Author Topic: The Joe Biden Presidency Thread - 46th President of the United States  (Read 174504 times)

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Joe Biden Presidency Thread - 46th President of the United States
« Reply #1800 on: April 13, 2023, 01:51:34 pm »

His great-great-great grandfather William Biden was from Sussex. He emigrated to America, then married in Baltimore in 1822.

His descendants married into an Irish immigrant family.

Quite why he considers himself Irish and not British is a mystery

Votes?

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #1801 on: April 13, 2023, 01:55:04 pm »

It's a political win/win in the USA.
Kill the humourless

Offline naka

• Lennart Skoglund Ultra
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1802 on: April 13, 2023, 02:04:55 pm »

His great-great-great grandfather William Biden was from Sussex. He emigrated to America, then married in Baltimore in 1822.

Brexit !!!!
No one wants to be British 😉

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1803 on: April 13, 2023, 02:28:21 pm »
There are some 55 million Americans who claim some sort of Irish heritage. Biden visiting is the clearest indication you'll ever need he's running again in 24.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1804 on: April 13, 2023, 03:43:08 pm »

The Irish connection is a generation closer. His maternal great-great grandparents were Irish-born. From what I've read, all his maternal ancestors are Irish and some of his paternal ones.

But, yeah, it comes down to votes. Ever since JFK, it has been profitable to draw on Irish roots. Historically, I think only Jackson, Buchanon and Arthur have a proper Irish heritage - all had parents from Ireland, yet Kennedy is most associated with Ireland, probably down to being a Catholic and having a big Irish head on him.

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1805 on: April 13, 2023, 07:26:05 pm »
It certainly does carry baggage. But I think people in Ireland expect Irish-Americans coming over claiming to be Irish to generally be ignorant of anything related to Ireland (let alone Rugby...). Don't you know Biden's great-great-great grandfather, was born in Ireland in 1803??  Besides Irish people in my experience tend to love the US and Americans.

I suppose it also helps that he said "Beat the hell out of the All Black and Tans" rather than anything positive

If that's what he said then yep he's just playing the "up the RA" card,they love that stuff round here.I was guessing he was trying to pull a drinks funny,Black and tan,Irish car bomb,a pint of Guinness poured right.For what' it 's worth i work with a mayo guy he doesn't think much of Biden.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #1806 on: April 13, 2023, 07:51:53 pm »
There are some 55 million Americans who claim some sort of Irish heritage. Biden visiting is the clearest indication you'll ever need he's running again in 24.

Do people really give a shit about stuff like that? I mean, I’m a first generation British Indian (and I’d bet I’m ‘more Indian’ then 90% of Irish Americans are Irish) but I ain’t going to vote Tory just because they’re lead by a first generation British Indian.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1807 on: April 13, 2023, 08:25:35 pm »
Why are people saying Biden doesn't have ancestors from Ireland when it seems he did?
What's that about?

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1808 on: April 13, 2023, 09:08:31 pm »
Do people really give a shit about stuff like that? I mean, I’m a first generation British Indian (and I’d bet I’m ‘more Indian’ then 90% of Irish Americans are Irish) but I ain’t going to vote Tory just because they’re lead by a first generation British Indian.

Yeap they most certainly do.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #1809 on: April 13, 2023, 11:41:35 pm »
An off the cuff interview asking about the Russian document leak caused him to use "contemporaneous" in his reply.

The Orange Oaf doesn't even know the fucking word.

Kill the humourless

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #1810 on: April 14, 2023, 12:09:39 pm »
An off the cuff interview asking about the Russian document leak caused him to use "contemporaneous" in his reply.

The Orange Oaf doesn't even know the fucking word.

If you break he word down, though, it's quite apt for Trump:

Con Temper Anus

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1811 on: April 14, 2023, 12:11:22 pm »

I bet there's 2/3 times that many with British heritage. It's fascinating how few would consider that a badge of honour in the way Irish-Americans do.

But I do know the Irish thing with politicians is for electoral reasons  :thumbup
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1812 on: April 14, 2023, 12:22:37 pm »
I bet there's 2/3 times that many with British heritage. It's fascinating how few would consider that a badge of honour in the way Irish-Americans do.

But I do know the Irish thing with politicians is for electoral reasons  :thumbup

Scots-Americans view it in a similar way to Irish-Americans. They love the whole Clan thing that no one in Scotland gives a fuck about. They all claim to be a direct descendent of William Wallace and/or ownership of some castle.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1813 on: April 14, 2023, 12:30:58 pm »

Some reporter yesterday said almost half of all previous US presidents have Irish ancestry

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1814 on: April 14, 2023, 12:31:09 pm »

I think 9 of the past 11 POTUS have visited Ireland. It's purely for the white, anglo/celtic, christian/catholic vote.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #1815 on: April 14, 2023, 01:07:57 pm »
Because the basic purpose of that kind of identity politics is to gain status by distinguishing yourself from others.  There’s no point in asserting a British-American identity, or a plain American identity, because nearly everyone can do that.  So you assert something else instead.  Anyway Biden does seem to be fairly heavily Irish-by-descent tbf, it’s way less tenuous for him than for other presidents.

I’ve found pretty much the same here, among certain right-thinkers.  My neighbours did a DNA analysis for their kid for his 16th and the lad was a little bit gutted when it came back ‘100% British’.  I told the story once for amusement when I was out with some liberal types and it was like dropping a grenade into the conversation, the table was falling over itself either to stress its own foreign DNA credentials, or else to even deny that being 100% British is possible.  There’s no exotic points in being British.

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #1816 on: April 14, 2023, 01:27:43 pm »
I remember reading at the time that Bush the younger, in 2000, was the first US president to be elected since god knows without also carrying the Irish vote. Before anybody asks, no I don't have a source for that but I remember been surprised at the time. Of course Bush did not win the popular vote in 2000 either.
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1817 on: April 14, 2023, 01:53:05 pm »
Because the basic purpose of that kind of identity politics is to gain status by distinguishing yourself from others.  There’s no point in asserting a British-American identity, or a plain American identity, because nearly everyone can do that.  So you assert something else instead.  Anyway Biden does seem to be fairly heavily Irish-by-descent tbf, it’s way less tenuous for him than for other presidents.

I’ve found pretty much the same here, among certain right-thinkers.  My neighbours did a DNA analysis for their kid for his 16th and the lad was a little bit gutted when it came back ‘100% British’.  I told the story once for amusement when I was out with some liberal types and it was like dropping a grenade into the conversation, the table was falling over itself either to stress its own foreign DNA credentials, or else to even deny that being 100% British is possible.  There’s no exotic points in being British.

I got my dad one a few years ago (Living DNA). His paternal links were mostly British/Scandinavian/Dutch/Germanic. The shock came on his maternal side as the most common link in terms of coverage is with the Tuareg (Fezzan) people of North Africa (followed by Basque, Portugal, Cantabria, Andalusia, Berber) He did have black curly hair.

I, on the other hand, have fair hair (had, as about a third is no longer with us, and the rest half grey) and fair skin.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1818 on: April 14, 2023, 01:57:26 pm »
That’s the ticket.  He’d’ve ruled that table like Souness ruling a European midfield.  Hairdo to match by the sounds.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #1819 on: April 14, 2023, 02:13:34 pm »

100% British can still pretty mongrel though?
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1820 on: April 14, 2023, 02:18:35 pm »

According to the Natural History Museum, the original Brits are Homo heidelbergensis (about half a million years)
They are all descended from Homo Antecessor who likely migrated here via Spain according to tracks found aging about 750-900,00 years back.
Then Neanderthals, followed by Homo Sapiens.

I think the Neanderthals still remain today in small enclaves such as Grays, Canvey Island and Hartlepool.
(probably unfair on Neanderthals if I'm honest)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1821 on: April 14, 2023, 02:22:17 pm »
I'll ask again .....
Why are people saying Biden doesn't have ancestors from Ireland when it seems he did?
What's that about?

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1822 on: April 14, 2023, 02:28:31 pm »
100% British can still pretty mongrel though?
Less than most other countries aiui, historically.  I don’t know exactly how these things work or how far back they go, but the results sounded pretty interesting (to me, if not to my companions) - it seems to have been very localised, with two clusters centred exactly on the areas the parents are from.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 02:30:30 pm by Iska »

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1823 on: April 14, 2023, 02:51:49 pm »
I'll ask again .....

2 seconds research would suggest Biden's great-great-great-grandfather travelled on the coffin ships to the US from Ireland 165 years ago.
I'm guessing those who say he didn't are the same types who questioned Obamas birth certificate?
Maybe there's even evidence Biden isn't Irish in Hunter's laptop?
Its all kept in a pizza parlour basement somewhere...

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #1824 on: April 14, 2023, 03:03:44 pm »
Less than most other countries aiui, historically.  I don’t know exactly how these things work or how far back they go, but the results sounded pretty interesting (to me, if not to my companions) - it seems to have been very localised, with two clusters centred exactly on the areas the parents are from.

That’s actually quite depressing 😂😂 but probably not unusual!
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1825 on: April 14, 2023, 03:45:30 pm »
What's that about?

Who's actually said that?

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1826 on: April 14, 2023, 03:48:25 pm »

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1827 on: April 14, 2023, 10:56:44 pm »

Claiming British ancestry won't gain you any votes in the US.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #1828 on: April 14, 2023, 11:54:00 pm »
62.5% Irish it seems but with English origin as well
You can be both
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1829 on: April 16, 2023, 10:32:59 am »

;D
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1830 on: April 16, 2023, 01:54:14 pm »
I take little interest in American politics unless they do something awful like ban abortion or bomb places.
Credit to Biden for his recent visit where he managed to piss off English gammons and the DUP
Well done Joe,
where do bereaved families from Warrington and Manchester fall in this? Think they're entitled to think Biden is a prick for arranging and posing joyfully for a selfie with Gerry Adams, personally.

Are they the English gammons you're pleased he's annoyed? If not them, who?

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1831 on: April 16, 2023, 03:48:38 pm »
where do bereaved families from Warrington and Manchester fall in this? Think they're entitled to think Biden is a prick for arranging and posing joyfully for a selfie with Gerry Adams, personally.

Are they the English gammons you're pleased he's annoyed? If not them, who?

I want aware Biden had a photo with Adams. So the victims of the IRA were not in my mind.
Plenty of people are in pictures with Adams (and McGuinness)

The gammons I were thinking of were more the GB news, flag shaggers.
There will be people on this board who vote Sin Fein, perhaps you should ask them this question; but keep in mind weaponising murdered children isnt a good look.

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1832 on: April 16, 2023, 04:17:38 pm »
I want aware Biden had a photo with Adams. So the victims of the IRA were not in my mind.
Plenty of people are in pictures with Adams (and McGuinness)

The gammons I were thinking of were more the GB news, flag shaggers.
what was it that was pissing them off? you seemed to suggest there and in a few other posts lately that anything that upsets them is good and enjoyable, which i think is a touch black and white and limiting. everything annoys those kinds of people. isn't it better to just enjoy things that you like instead of things others dislike?

There will be people on this board who vote Sin Fein, perhaps you should ask them this question; but keep in mind weaponising murdered children isnt a good look.
I haven't seen anyone else saying they think its always a good thing if Biden pisses off brits with his divisive antics (during a period of celebration about the GFA and overcoming divisions, the daft sod). but if anyone does think like this then they're welcome to share their thoughts.

i haven't done any weaponising, what a silly suggestion and 'warning'! lets keep the conversation on topic about what we've actually discussed, rather than obsessing over perceptions and how things 'look'
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 04:19:27 pm by classycarra »

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1833 on: April 16, 2023, 04:43:27 pm »
what was it that was pissing them off? you seemed to suggest there and in a few other posts lately that anything that upsets them is good and enjoyable, which i think is a touch black and white and limiting. everything annoys those kinds of people. isn't it better to just enjoy things that you like instead of things others dislike?
I haven't seen anyone else saying they think its always a good thing if Biden pisses off brits with his divisive antics (during a period of celebration about the GFA and overcoming divisions, the daft sod). but if anyone does think like this then they're welcome to share their thoughts.

i haven't done any weaponising, what a silly suggestion and 'warning'! lets keep the conversation on topic about what we've actually discussed, rather than obsessing over perceptions and how things 'look'

I disagree with you on the weaponising.
I enjoy things pissing people off, if I dont like those people. 

I dont have anything to add. :wave

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #1834 on: April 16, 2023, 04:56:59 pm »

I enjoy things pissing people off, if I dont like those people. 

And sometimes, even if you do like them...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1835 on: April 16, 2023, 05:03:10 pm »
And sometimes, even if you do like them...

Not really.  Schadenfreude is far better experienced on wrong uns

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #1836 on: April 16, 2023, 07:06:24 pm »
Not really.  Schadenfreude is far better experienced on wrong uns

Dunno, like, some moderatorial, Yim, most likely, has made a subtle change to my screen name.

Only just noticed. Probably been like that for days.

That's not funny?  Whomever is responsible undoubtedly thinks so... ;D

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1837 on: April 16, 2023, 07:37:05 pm »
Dunno, like, some moderatorial, Yim, most likely, has made a subtle change to my screen name.

Only just noticed. Probably been like that for days.

That's not funny?  Whomever is responsible undoubtedly thinks so... ;D

So do you like blowing your friends and undoing their nuts or not?

Online afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #1838 on: April 16, 2023, 09:06:12 pm »
So do you like blowing your friends and undoing their nuts or not?

;D

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1839 on: April 17, 2023, 11:21:06 am »

Except I literally mention his Irish ancestry in the very quote you posted  :-\

My point was that he has both English and Irish ancestry, but celebrates one and ignores the other.

(and yes, as I acknowledged later, it's for votes over there)