Author Topic: The Joe Biden Presidency Thread - 46th President of the United States  (Read 174603 times)

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Joe Biden Presidency Thread - 46th President of the United States
« Reply #1680 on: January 14, 2023, 07:44:13 am »
I’m not in the US but by all accounts things are generally going well under the current administration.

That's the impression I get too, but right-wing people I know assure me that the US is absolutely in flaming ruins under the current administration, whereas the previous bloke had them soaring. Gotta love those echo chambers. I don't really know when or how the US will ever have an "informed" election ever again. Maybe they never have had one, but factual consensus has never been lower.

After I graduated from the University of Sydney in '99, a bunch of my classmates emigrated to the States in the following few years. Back then, it seemed a pretty smart move in our field (engineering). When a colleague of mine followed the same bath in November 2022, no one in the company could understand why the hell he was doing it. America's lustre is well and truly gone, and as an Australian I now consider it a vastly inferior place to live. Last year we had an election where the centre-right party that had been in power for a decade was finally beaten by the centre-left party. The transition was smooth, no one stormed parliament, outgoing ministers actually helped the transition effort, and the country is purring. We have a strong economy, functioning health care, a social safety net. Why would you trade in these simple, yet increasingly rare, pleasures?

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1681 on: January 14, 2023, 07:46:04 am »
November elections are held on the 8th: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_United_States_elections

They” found” the documents on the 2nd and notified the national archives on the 3rd

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/01/12/biden-classified-documents-wilmington/

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/biden-center-classified-documents/

“ The material was identified by personal attorneys for Mr. Biden on Nov. 2, just before the midterm elections, Richard Sauber, special counsel to the president confirmed. The documents were discovered when Mr. Biden's personal attorneys "were packing files housed in a locked closet to prepare to vacate office space at the Penn Biden Center in Washington, D.C.," Sauber said in a statement to CBS News. The documents were contained in a folder that was in a box with other unclassified papers, the sources said. The sources revealed neither what the documents contain nor their level of classification. A source familiar with the matter told CBS News the documents did not contain nuclear secrets.

Sauber also said that on the same day the material was discovered, Nov. 2, the White House counsel's office notified the National Archives, which took possession of the materials the following morning.”

But you didn't quote the rest of the WaP article which states the Biden team immediately informed the NA and the timeline of actions from 4th November. So who did a cover up?

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1682 on: January 14, 2023, 09:08:43 am »
You didn't know this?
Of course, 'MSM' is common coinage for those those deeply embedded within Twitter bubbles, conspiracy nuts, anti-vaxxers, and other assorted loons. But for the normal population it is not a term used in every day life. Some of us have come across it having interacted with said 'loons', but many have not.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1683 on: January 14, 2023, 09:54:46 am »
they know they had top secret documents and handed them over on the 2nd of November. The elections where 8th.  So they clearly didn’t disclose this information to the public. If that isn’t burying a story I don’t know what is.
Was there a legal requirement for them to do so? Or, is this just politics? When they discovered the commingled documents (there were almost certainly hundreds of thousands - perhaps millions - taken away by the Biden administration when he left office), they immediately contacted National Archives and Records Administration to tell them. That is what is required by law. But Biden's administration contacting the media before an election to tell them about this is not required by law.

Biden (rather, a team of lawyers acting upon his instructions) then carried out a thorough search of all locations where he has records stored. If Biden was aware of particular records at particular locations which might prove problematic for him (say, within the garage of his own home), he could have removed or disposed of them in advance. Obviously, he did not do this.

Conversely, Trump did not volunteer his possession of secret or confidential records, and actively obstructed and then lied about the records he held when contacted and subpoenaed. From everything I understand about this law and how it is prosecuted, 'intent' is everything.

Biden could not have personally vetted all those hundreds of thousands of documents. I mean, I have a few boxes of papers I've been dragging around for a good few years because of several house moves. If I cannot get around to weeding out those few papers, it is not remotely reasonable to expect Biden to have done this with rooms full of documents. Yes, as he did recently, he could have used a team to do this for him, but he'd first need to be aware of the problem.

Having said all that, this is very sloppy. Especially if this report is accurate:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jan/10/biden-classified-documents-ukraine-iran-uk-briefings

Some of the documents were marked as Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmented Information, and according to CNN were commingled in the boxes with personal documents including planning materials for the 2015 funeral of the president’s son Beau Biden.
Biden was already a problematic proposition to stand for a second term. Too old. Or, at least, the appearance of being too old. And Harris appears to be unelectable. I think he should probably stand aside and there be an open primary for the next Democratic presidential candidate.
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1684 on: January 14, 2023, 09:56:13 am »
Huh? There’s absolutely a link between a President’s approval rating and midterm election results.
Yep.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1685 on: January 14, 2023, 09:57:19 am »
So why didn't the republicans sweep the House and Senate like predicted as Biden had the lowest approval of any other president in the last 30 years (bar Trump, they were actually level at 38%)?
Non sequitur, blacksun.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #1686 on: January 14, 2023, 11:14:38 am »
Of course, 'MSM' is common coinage for those those deeply embedded within Twitter bubbles, conspiracy nuts, anti-vaxxers, and other assorted loons. But for the normal population it is not a term used in every day life. Some of us have come across it having interacted with said 'loons', but many have not.

Yup, never seen that acronym before, had no idea.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1687 on: January 14, 2023, 11:19:32 am »
You didn't know this?

Well obviously I wouldn’t have asked the question had I known.  Before asking I done a quick google and the acronym brought up all sorts but not ‘mainstream media’.  Beyond here I generally don’t frequent social media.  Life is much too short for that. I spend enough time on here.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #1688 on: January 14, 2023, 11:24:15 am »
I thought MSM was a messaging app. Shows what I know.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1689 on: January 14, 2023, 11:28:45 am »
Probably not a 'loon' then. Though, I suppose, for those of us who have heard of it, it's more of an open question. And, now that you know what it means...  ;D As for those who use the term as regularly as the rest of the population take a breath... well. ::)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 11:34:20 am by Jiminy Cricket »

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1690 on: January 14, 2023, 11:33:35 am »
I thought MSM was a messaging app. Shows what I know.
MSN is long defunct.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1691 on: January 14, 2023, 11:52:31 am »
MSN is long defunct.

I still know people with AOL email addresses

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1692 on: January 14, 2023, 11:58:28 am »
I still know people with AOL email addresses
Yeah - still going! But a quick Wiki search informs me that MSN was discontinued and merged with Skype 10 years ago.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1693 on: January 14, 2023, 12:11:57 pm »
Yeah - still going! But a quick Wiki search informs me that MSN was discontinued and merged with Skype 10 years ago.

Ah didn’t know Skype took them over. Which kinda explains why Skype is 50/50 when I use it.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1694 on: January 14, 2023, 01:05:04 pm »
Ah didn’t know Skype took them over. Which kinda explains why Skype is 50/50 when I use it.

Other way round, Microsoft bought Skype, but kept the Skype name.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1695 on: January 14, 2023, 01:07:03 pm »
Other way round, Microsoft bought Skype, but kept the Skype name.

Explains it even more. No wonder Skype restarts my computer when it updates

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #1696 on: January 14, 2023, 05:30:26 pm »
Was there a legal requirement for them to do so?

This is the thing about the 'cover up' claim I can't wrap my head around. Like, the Biden team told the Archives. Why would they go and tell the public, election time or not? People don't go around leaking negative stories about themselves, it's up to journalists to actually find this stuff out, via sources or otherwise.

The type of people who unironically uses the term 'MSM' continually demonstrate that they have no idea how pretty much anything works in real life.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1697 on: January 14, 2023, 05:42:34 pm »
Guaranteed, when your interlocutor uses the term 'MSM' in an unironic manner, you are about to read a load of drivel or abject bollocks.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1698 on: January 14, 2023, 05:43:12 pm »
This is the thing about the 'cover up' claim I can't wrap my head around. Like, the Biden team told the Archives. Why would they go and tell the public, election time or not? People don't go around leaking negative stories about themselves, it's up to journalists to actually find this stuff out, via sources or otherwise.

The type of people who unironically uses the term 'MSM' continually demonstrate that they have no idea how pretty much anything works in real life.
In a nutshell.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #1699 on: January 14, 2023, 08:59:33 pm »
Guaranteed, when your interlocutor uses the term 'MSM' in an unironic manner, you are about to read a load of drivel or abject bollocks.

It’s like whenever anyone uses the term “fake news” or accuses you of “TDS: Trump Derangement Syndrome”, you can safely disregard all of their opinions from there on out.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #1700 on: January 14, 2023, 09:41:51 pm »
It’s like whenever anyone uses the term “fake news” or accuses you of “TDS: Trump Derangement Syndrome”, you can safely disregard all of their opinions from there on out.

Deep State also functions in a similar manner...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1701 on: January 14, 2023, 09:57:45 pm »
Deep State also functions in a similar manner...
I feel I should compile a list.

MSM (Mainstream Media)
TDS (Trump Derangement Syndrome)
Deep State

I am sure there are other tells we could add to the above. :)

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1702 on: January 15, 2023, 12:10:31 am »
"Globalist elites"

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #1703 on: January 15, 2023, 12:16:05 am »
People who do research or just ask questions should also be avoided unless they're scientists, journalists or the Riddler.

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1704 on: January 15, 2023, 01:52:11 am »
You don't think The Riddler should be avoided? :D

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1705 on: January 15, 2023, 03:08:08 am »
I know “woke” has really triggered some people around here, so that should probably be added to the list.  :D
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1706 on: January 15, 2023, 08:12:02 am »
But you didn't quote the rest of the WaP article which states the Biden team immediately informed the NA and the timeline of actions from 4th November. So who did a cover up?

Nothing to add to this Ste to help us understand how "they buried the story"?

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1707 on: January 15, 2023, 08:43:17 am »
I feel I should compile a list.

MSM (Mainstream Media)
Deep State

I am sure there are other tells we could add to the above. :)
"Globalist elites"
People who do research or just ask questions should also be avoided unless they're scientists, journalists or the Riddler.
Good suggestions. :)

MSM (Mainstream Media)
Deep State
Globalist Elites
'Do my own research'
'I'm just asking questions' (Sean Hannity's 'go to' phrase)

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #1708 on: January 15, 2023, 01:23:48 pm »
You don't think The Riddler should be avoided? :D

Not at all cost like the other lot. I'm also not Batman so maybe The Riddler is a decent guy besides being a comic book villain... ;)

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #1709 on: January 15, 2023, 07:29:04 pm »
I know “woke” has really triggered some people around here, so that should probably be added to the list.  :D

I don’t think normal people over 30 know or care about that. It has been a handy talking point for the disingenuous right though.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1710 on: January 15, 2023, 08:27:41 pm »
Folk tend to vote in accordance with the state of the country and how it impacts them including the economy, jobs, services provision, etc.  I’m not in the US but by all accounts things are generally going well under the current administration.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64189105

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/jp-morgan-tops-q4-earnings-forecast-say-us-economy-remain-strong/ar-AA16j8GX

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/11/30/economy/us-gdp-third-quarter/index.html

Nah it's not great over here but it isn't really down to Biden,It feels like the country is running on empty seeing how far they can go before it's completely dry and fucks the engine.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1711 on: January 15, 2023, 08:29:02 pm »

Nah it's not great over here but it isn't really down to Biden,It feels like the country is running on empty seeing how far they can go before it's completely dry and fucks the engine.

Make america great again ;)

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1712 on: January 15, 2023, 08:30:47 pm »
Non sequitur, blacksun.

How so? My stance is that the presidential approval has little impact on midterms, the fact Biden was so unpopular should have meant Republicans winning lots of seats in both House and Senate if my stance is incorrect and yet the R's sqeacked a tiny win in the house ( almost always happens to a sitting presidents party) and lost seats in the Senate

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1713 on: January 15, 2023, 09:30:33 pm »
Huh? There’s absolutely a link between a President’s approval rating and midterm election results.
So why didn't the republicans sweep the House and Senate like predicted as Biden had the lowest approval of any other president in the last 30 years (bar Trump, they were actually level at 38%)?
Non sequitur, blacksun.
How so? My stance is that the presidential approval has little impact on midterms, the fact Biden was so unpopular should have meant Republicans winning lots of seats in both House and Senate if my stance is incorrect and yet the R's sqeacked a tiny win in the house ( almost always happens to a sitting presidents party) and lost seats in the Senate
Because who is president is merely one factor amongst many in how people vote, even in mid-term elections. There could be a strong link between the President's popularity and how people vote in mid-terms (I am not actually stating this), and an unpopular President's party could still do relatively well because it is only one factor. The President's popularity could be important in determining the outcome, but other factors might (combine to) be more important in determining the outcome. We can look to data over many election cycles to determine effects, but even then it is difficult (are poor mid-term results due to an unpopular president, or is a generally unhappy electorate more likely to be unhappy with the President).

Anyway, the general consensus is that the President's popularity is significant factor in mid-term elections. But just because the president's party does better than expected in a particular election when he is unpopular proves nothing.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1714 on: January 15, 2023, 11:09:09 pm »
It's agreed fairly widely that Biden bucked the mid-term trend of 40 plus years. Yes, he still lost the house, but he wasn't buried in a defeat the way Trump was. And it's obvious it will be the weakest house in decades as Speaker McCarthy bows to the 20 odd lunatic fringe that worships Trump, rather than seek consensus with moderates across both sides of the aisle.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #1715 on: January 16, 2023, 01:00:06 pm »

As far as I can see, conservatives use that term as an adjective to pin on anything, literally anything, where they feel like things are going in the wrong direction.

So, letting gays serve in the army means it's now the "woke military". Women who won't date conservative men because y'know, they're assholes, are now "woke women". Teaching about actual factual history involving minorities now gives us "woke schools and colleges".

It's the new version of "politically correct", which in turn was basically a pejorative term used by conservatives for anything which they felt was forcing them to be nicer and kinder to people who they believed they should be allowed to shit on.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1716 on: January 16, 2023, 01:13:05 pm »
As far as I can see, conservatives use that term as an adjective to pin on anything, literally anything, where they feel like things are going in the wrong direction.

So, letting gays serve in the army means it's now the "woke military". Women who won't date conservative men because y'know, they're assholes, are now "woke women". Teaching about actual factual history involving minorities now gives us "woke schools and colleges".

It's the new version of "politically correct", which in turn was basically a pejorative term used by conservatives for anything which they felt was forcing them to be nicer and kinder to people who they believed they should be allowed to shit on.
The difference being, though, people (initially) self-described as being 'woke'. I am not sure if anyone called themselves as 'politically correct'.

Irrespective, I guess I should add it to the list. :)

MSM (Mainstream Media)
Deep State
Globalist Elites
'Do my own research'
'I'm just asking questions' (Sean Hannity's go to phrase)
Woke

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #1717 on: January 16, 2023, 01:42:41 pm »

Something else to add is multiple parentheses around something, to indicate a reference to "the Jews" (who might also be interchangeable with globalist elites etc).

So if you see ((((((They)))))) or ((((((Them)))))) etc then it's antisemitism.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1718 on: January 16, 2023, 02:14:58 pm »
Something else to add is multiple parentheses around something, to indicate a reference to "the Jews" (who might also be interchangeable with globalist elites etc).

So if you see ((((((They)))))) or ((((((Them)))))) etc then it's antisemitism.
That's a new on me! :(

Edit - Just came across another classic in the Labour thread: 'red Tories'.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 02:17:01 pm by Jiminy Cricket »

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #1719 on: January 16, 2023, 02:18:29 pm »
The difference being, though, people (initially) self-described as being 'woke'. I am not sure if anyone called themselves as 'politically correct'.

MSM (Mainstream Media)
Deep State
Globalist Elites
'Do my own research'
'I'm just asking questions' (Sean Hannity's go to phrase)
Woke

"The University of Life"