Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - WELCOME, 'A PLAYER'!!  (Read 2507595 times)

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - WELCOME, 'A PLAYER'!!
« Reply #45160 on: July 27, 2021, 01:56:47 pm »
We need to adapt, we don't need a Bobby clone.
I agree. Mo and Sadio are not quite the same players they were( still great players but age will naturally slow players down) , so just finding another Bobby will not automatically see a return of the free scoring days of a few years ago. I would like to see us play with a proper striker, in the Lewandoski mode. Or Atleast have that option.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #45161 on: July 27, 2021, 02:02:48 pm »
Its gone 26, 23, 31 so I'm not sure he was making the point you wanted him to

yes, that was a strange comment being as some simple maths proved the opposite  ;D

It isn’t beyond the realms to suggest that last season may well have been the outlier. The previous 3 seasons the midfield and central defence chipped in more goals. It shouldn’t be that hard to figure out why either, being as they where not filling in central defence, and didn’t suffer as much from injuries.

Be nice to go back to getting a few goals from midfield and central defence next season and I am sure the expectation is that with a more settled midfield and defence we will get that.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #45162 on: July 27, 2021, 02:06:28 pm »
yes, that was a strange comment being as some simple maths proved the opposite  ;D

It isn’t beyond the realms to suggest that last season may well have been the outlier. The previous 3 seasons the midfield and central defence chipped in more goals. It shouldn’t be that hard to figure out why either, being as they where not filling in central defence, and didn’t suffer as much from injuries.

Be nice to go back to getting a few goals from midfield and central defence next season and I am sure the expectation is that with a more settled midfield and defence we will get that.

It's as though people some people wilfully ignore that we had no experienced centre backs for most of the season that meant some midfielders had to play there instead which had a knock on effect on the team as a whole. Nevermind that 2 of those centre backs have regularly contributed goals in the past few seasons.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #45163 on: July 27, 2021, 02:08:51 pm »

I'm sure its far too simple anyway to look at it as 'the attack scored x, the midfield scored y and the defence scored z'. I'm sure there's a very deep analysis out there about methods of goal, strength of opponent, when certain players scored etc which makes it a lot more useful. We certainly looked a lot less potent from set pieces last season (except Alli).
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45164 on: July 27, 2021, 02:10:46 pm »
Would quite fancy signing Ramsey if he came back depending on his salary. He looked great at the Euros.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #45165 on: July 27, 2021, 02:11:06 pm »
It's as though people some people wilfully ignore that we had no experienced centre backs for most of the season that meant some midfielders had to play there instead which had a knock on effect on the team as a whole. Nevermind that 2 of those centre backs have regularly contributed goals in the past few seasons.

very much expecting Curtis to be chipping a decent amount over the coming seasons. He may not be a regular starter next season, but he’ll likely still get decent playing time again and he has a good eye for goal.  Also interested to see how many minutes Harvey Elliott gets in midfield, as that could have a similar outcome in the near future - more goals. And indeed, Virgil is good for a few. Hopefully Konate can learn from the best in that sense!

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #45166 on: July 27, 2021, 02:13:49 pm »
I agree. Mo and Sadio are not quite the same players they were( still great players but age will naturally slow players down) , so just finding another Bobby will not automatically see a return of the free scoring days of a few years ago. I would like to see us play with a proper striker, in the Lewandoski mode. Or Atleast have that option.

Wtf? Salad had a tremendous season, 22 goals in the league and 6 in the cl - how many does he need to score to prove he is not in decline.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45167 on: July 27, 2021, 02:16:48 pm »
Wtf? Salad had a tremendous season, 22 goals in the league and 6 in the cl - how many does he need to score to prove he is not in decline.

You have to think he'll start the season like a rocket if you squash in a few more pre-season games. The dressing room mood seems salty - keen as mustard. In fact, as we prepare for Norwich, you have to think we'll swallow the greens whole.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Dr Stu-Pid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #45168 on: July 27, 2021, 02:16:50 pm »

Lettuce all be in agreement with this post.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45169 on: July 27, 2021, 02:17:43 pm »

Exactly. Lettuce all calm down a little before writing him off.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45170 on: July 27, 2021, 02:17:55 pm »
Lettuce all be in agreement with this post.

Sage advice that.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #45171 on: July 27, 2021, 02:20:55 pm »
You have to think he'll start the season like a rocket if you squash in a few more pre-season games. The dressing room mood seems salty - keen as mustard. In fact, as we prepare for Norwich, you have to think we'll swallow the greens whole.

Mo salad and less bread
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #45172 on: July 27, 2021, 02:23:55 pm »

He did.  Kept finding the onion bag all year while others lettuce down.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #45173 on: July 27, 2021, 02:24:52 pm »
Romaine calm please.

Unbeetable posts - cannot wait until we can get some peas and quiet after the window.

THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45174 on: July 27, 2021, 02:26:47 pm »
MO SALAD! MO SALAD! MO SALAD! HEALTHY, LEAFY GREENS!

SALAD-LAD-LAD-LAD-LAD THE ROUGHAGE KING!

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45175 on: July 27, 2021, 02:28:45 pm »
Ahhh joy, puns again  ::)

I'm not here for that shit. I wanna know what sort of celery out latest signing is going to be on, if there have been any leeks Samie can tell us about and which amaizing player United have signed now.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #45176 on: July 27, 2021, 02:29:19 pm »
Snip

Thanks for the reply and really good context and opinion to the Q’s I asked
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45177 on: July 27, 2021, 02:30:12 pm »
He did, he carried us for most of it. But before you explode with indignation, is he the same player he was 4 years ago? I still think he is our best player, but we will have to adapt our style of play as he approaches and passes 30. That’s all I was saying, I did forget tho that anything but blind praise is considered derogatory. My apologies.

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45178 on: July 27, 2021, 02:32:30 pm »
Would quite fancy signing Ramsey if he came back depending on his salary. He looked great at the Euros.

Not for me given his age and wages.

A 25 year old Ramsey would be good though

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45179 on: July 27, 2021, 02:33:05 pm »
He did, he carried us for most of it. But before you explode with indignation, is he the same player he was 4 years ago? I still think he is our best player, but we will have to adapt our style of play as he approaches and passes 30. That’s all I was saying, I did forget tho that anything but blind praise is considered derogatory. My apologies.

Dress this post up a little bit better please.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45180 on: July 27, 2021, 02:36:48 pm »
Its gone 26, 23, 31 so I'm not sure he was making the point you wanted him to

Last year it was 5 from midfield in the league, what are you referring to?

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45181 on: July 27, 2021, 02:38:20 pm »

He’s arguably a better player now. Physically he hasn’t declined and he’s learnt to deal with close man to man marking, roughhouse tactics, specific tactics to stop him playing etc and still been able to put up 30 goal seasons. 4 years ago he was more of an unknown quantity and less obvious primary threat in our team. Therefore probably warranted less attention from other teams in terms of stopping him.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #45182 on: July 27, 2021, 02:40:17 pm »

Yeah some centre backs just have goal threat (Virg, Matip) and some don’t (Gomez, Phillips). You’d expect to get   6-8 from our centre backs next season in the league. We went about 4 months this season without scoring from a corner.

And getting Hendo and Fabinho in midfield regularly will up their output too, although they’ll never be good for more than a couple each a season.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45183 on: July 27, 2021, 02:41:13 pm »
He’s arguably a better player now. Physically he hasn’t declined and he’s learnt to deal with close man to man marking, roughhouse tactics, specific tactics to stop him playing etc and still been able to put up 30 goal seasons. 4 years ago he was more of an unknown quantity and less obvious primary threat in our team. Therefore probably warranted less attention from other teams in terms of stopping him.

His passing has really come on too, he gets so much focus from opposition teams that him being able to get a pass off to another forward at the right moment can be huge for us, and he's so much better at it now.

But he's almost 30 so better start keeping a spare zimmer frame pitchside.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45184 on: July 27, 2021, 02:41:33 pm »
Last year it was 5 from midfield in the league, what are you referring to?

Rather disingenuous considering Das was talking all comps (and all comps from midfield last season was actually 11)

But nah it was more than you said 'they decline year by year' when they actually dont.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45185 on: July 27, 2021, 02:43:32 pm »
Rather disingenuous considering Das was talking all comps (and all comps from midfield last season was actually 11)

But nah it was more than you said 'they decline year by year' when they actually dont.

Is the league not the most important thing to us?

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45186 on: July 27, 2021, 02:45:54 pm »

Sure, still doesn't really explain why you've chosen to compare league stats to overall stats to push your point about lack of midfield goals though. But again back to the very basic maths point to start with, our 'goals from midfield' hasn't reduced season by season.

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #45187 on: July 27, 2021, 02:49:08 pm »
About the squad registration stuff;

At the moment we have 3 senior players (born before 1st January 2000) more than we're allowed to register for the 25 man squads for PL and CL, including 1 senior non-homegrown player more than we can register. So unless we want to make some players unhappy by not allowing them to play for us we need to get rid of 3 senior players before bringing in any more.

UEFA also requires 4 out of the 25 for the CL squad to be club trained (ie. only 21 non-club trained seniors), so if Ojo and Woodburn are among the outgoings we'd still need to offload two non-club trained players to be able to register all our seniors. That's before signing any new senior players.

Here's the full squad with HG-status for the upcoming season (made before Wilson exit) :

Edit: Just read up on the previous few pages here and checked the UEFA rules on player registrations, and it seems Elliott has to be registered on the A-list (senior players) for the CL squad. That leaves one less spot for non-club trained seniors.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 03:16:57 pm by riismeister »

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #45188 on: July 27, 2021, 02:51:28 pm »

Not for me. It's the League Cup. I've always gone by the number of handles. It's why I could never get excited by the old League championship and why I always thought the UEFA cup was a waste of time.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45189 on: July 27, 2021, 02:51:33 pm »
It's an echo chamber in here

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45190 on: July 27, 2021, 02:52:40 pm »
Even when Salah starts to physically decline, I can see him still being a good goalscorer. He'll probably move more centrally.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #45191 on: July 27, 2021, 02:54:36 pm »
We need to adapt, we don't need a Bobby clone.
No, but we also shouldn’t try to squeeze in a traditional target man up front. Someone lile Kane expects service from the wingers, while Firmino serves ours. We attack like a 442 diamond. Changing that dynamic too much would be problematic. Origi looks hopeless there for a reason.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45192 on: July 27, 2021, 02:55:14 pm »
Sure, still doesn't really explain why you've chosen to compare league stats to overall stats to push your point about lack of midfield goals though. But again back to the very basic maths point to start with, our 'goals from midfield' hasn't reduced season by season.

I compared last season with 5 goals vs the previous season with 20, what are you referring to?

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45193 on: July 27, 2021, 02:56:03 pm »
His passing has really come on too, he gets so much focus from opposition teams that him being able to get a pass off to another forward at the right moment can be huge for us, and he's so much better at it now.

But he's almost 30 so better start keeping a spare zimmer frame pitchside.

Last season’s top 3 in the golden boot standings finished the season aged 32, 33 and 36.

At 29 we don’t need to adjust the way we set up to get the best out of Salah. An elite player who works so hard on his fitness and game should get into their early 30’s without a huge drop off.

Offline TAA66

• Kopite
  • Nobody grows up wanting to be a Gary Neville
« Reply #45194 on: July 27, 2021, 02:56:16 pm »

But you’re making out he’s now as slow as an iceberg

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45195 on: July 27, 2021, 02:56:37 pm »
Not for me. It's the League Cup. I've always gone by the number of handles. It's why I could never get excited by the old League championship and why I always thought the UEFA cup was a waste of time.

What about the milk cup?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45196 on: July 27, 2021, 02:57:03 pm »
Some of you lads need to go outside and touch grass.

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45197 on: July 27, 2021, 02:57:40 pm »
But you’re making out he’s now as slow as an iceberg
erm no, I didn’t.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45198 on: July 27, 2021, 02:59:47 pm »
erm no, I didn’t.

It's maybe best to kale this off once and for all. We're selling him and buying Cavolo Nero from Torino.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45199 on: July 27, 2021, 03:00:58 pm »
About the squad registration stuff;

At the moment we have 3 senior players (born before 1st January 2000) more than we're allowed to register for the 25 man squads for PL and CL, including 1 senior non-homegrown player more than we can register. So unless we want to make some players unhappy by not allowing them to play for us we need to get rid of 3 senior players before bringing in any more.

UEFA also requires 4 out of the 25 for the CL squad to be club trained (ie. only 21 non-club trained seniors), so if Ojo and Woodburn are among the outgoings we'd still need to offload two non-club trained players to be able to register all our seniors. That's before signing any new senior players.

Here's the full squad with HG-status for the upcoming season (made before Wilson exit) :

This is all true but I think it's relatively straightforward for some of the squad. Karius, for example, will know fine well he's not getting registered in the senior squad - we would never register four senior keepers. He has a year left on his deal, so will probably be loaned or have his contract cancelled. Ojo hasn't even gone to Austria with the squad, and is training with the U21s back home. So he's gone, clearly. Woodburn will almost certainly be loaned/sold, although I think we could just about accommodate him if needed. We also appear to be really keen to reluctantly sell Phillips, and with the CL thing I think we'll either just not register Davies for that or he'll move before the end of the window - a loan would be fine for him since he has presumably got a few years left on his deal.

So the ones that matter are Shaqiri, Origi and Minamino.