Author Topic: COVID-19:VERIFIED news sources, 0 politishit, 0 CONSPIRACY SHITE  (Read 3488170 times)

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
Re: COVID-19:VERIFIED news sources, 0 politishit, 0 CONSPIRACY SHITE
« Reply #67480 on: December 28, 2021, 02:05:03 pm »

A bit of a risk I know, and maybe I change my mind as more data becomes available, but that is pretty much where I am now.

Excellent post.

That pretty much where I am. I’m not going to take the piss with the rules, we still need to be sensible and things like masks and LFTs are hardly a big inconvenience in the grand scheme of things but I’m also not going to allow Covid 19 to be a big part of my life either.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #67481 on: December 28, 2021, 02:14:25 pm »
Let’s hope it plays out as that article indicates, although it’s interesting to note the comments that premature deaths are now history in Bell’s view.  Either Bell isn’t up to speed with current news or maybe he views hundred of deaths daily as irrelevant.
I was thinking the same after I read that. Also, reading what Prof. Hunter says in the same article where he says 'we'll have to learn to live with this' in the same way we do with the common cold - that may well be eventually....but when you consider that the current deaths from Covid (running at approx 50k /year) is almost twice that normally occurring with flu/pneumonia combined, then somewhat surprising comment.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #67482 on: December 28, 2021, 02:31:12 pm »
I was thinking the same after I read that. Also, reading what Prof. Hunter says in the same article where he says 'we'll have to learn to live with this' in the same way we do with the common cold - that may well be eventually....but when you consider that the current deaths from Covid (running at approx 50k /year) is almost twice that normally occurring with flu/pneumonia combined, then somewhat surprising comment.

The views appear to be at odds somewhat with current reality.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-number-of-people-in-hospital-with-coronavirus-in-england-hits-highest-level-since-march-12504769

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67483 on: December 28, 2021, 02:35:23 pm »
So it seems that the unvaccinated caused this virus to mutate into a far milder disease which could take us into the endemic stage sooner than expected.

I don’t think there’s any evidence to say Omicron appeared because of the unvaccinated. Theres been some speculation that it may have developed in someone with a weakened immune system (possibly from something like HIV) but I don’t believe there’s anything one way or another to say patient zero was vaccinated or not.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #67484 on: December 28, 2021, 02:43:23 pm »
The views appear to be at odds somewhat with current reality.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-number-of-people-in-hospital-with-coronavirus-in-england-hits-highest-level-since-march-12504769
Yes - I've listened to Prof Hunter before and he always seems to come across as someone whose glass is not just half full, but completely full ! Whereas, Chris Hopson seems very sensible and balanced in his comments....as he says, it is still a bit early to see what the level of hospitalisations will be from Omicron. But, I mean are we really saying that 'we will have to live with' 50,000 deaths/year from one disease, as Prof Hunter seems to be saying ?

Offline Wullie160975

• Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67485 on: December 28, 2021, 02:59:20 pm »
Just seems strange that the other UK nations are tightening up on restrictions as they can see how quickly Omicron is putting pressure on the NHS, yet Boris is happy for Omicron to rip through England knowing that so many people will be meeting up over the holiday period. I wonder if he’d be making the same decisions if this was happening at the end of January outside of the lucrative holiday season for hospitality!?

Hospital admissions have risen 27% in the last week and is at the highest level since the start of March when we were under tight lockdown restrictions.  We all want to be able to meet up with friends and family and celebrate new year, but at what cost will this be? I think January and February could be pretty grim.

That's because while the other leaders are getting the information and dealing with it as they can, BoJo is listening to the science on catchup between Xmas quizzes and nappy changing.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67486 on: December 28, 2021, 03:16:00 pm »
Yes - I've listened to Prof Hunter before and he always seems to come across as someone whose glass is not just half full, but completely full ! Whereas, Chris Hopson seems very sensible and balanced in his comments....as he says, it is still a bit early to see what the level of hospitalisations will be from Omicron. But, I mean are we really saying that 'we will have to live with' 50,000 deaths/year from one disease, as Prof Hunter seems to be saying ?

Elsewhere there are dissenting voices aimed at government’s decision on no further measures

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/e2-80-98ludicrous-e2-80-99-not-to-bring-in-more-covid-restrictions-hospital-doctors-tell-boris-johnson/ar-AASaJTg

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #67487 on: December 28, 2021, 03:31:23 pm »
Thanks guys

Back home now fully stocked up on paracetamol, cold & flu tabs and ibuprofen plus the obligatory booze for weekend if I'm too rough to go shopping again 😂

well done on getting your booster debs.

Online So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #67488 on: December 28, 2021, 03:33:17 pm »
That's because while the other leaders are getting the information and dealing with it as they can, BoJo is listening to the science on catchup between Xmas quizzes and nappy changing.

Don't forget the added strain of attending all those work related cheese and wine seminars.

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #67489 on: December 28, 2021, 03:51:01 pm »
Elsewhere there are dissenting voices aimed at government’s decision on no further measures

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/e2-80-98ludicrous-e2-80-99-not-to-bring-in-more-covid-restrictions-hospital-doctors-tell-boris-johnson/ar-AASaJTg
That figure quoted for London of 400 hospital admissions / day being an unofficial threshold before further restrictions are acted on is pretty close now - 386 on 22nd. With the holiday period passing, I can see that 400 figure sadly being exceeded this week. As one doctor says there, 'There seems to be a reticence to listen to experts....' - sums up the whole situation really, with this shower.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67490 on: December 28, 2021, 04:05:15 pm »
well done on getting your booster debs.

Thanks mate hope you're feeling a bit better now after yours.

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #67491 on: December 28, 2021, 04:28:45 pm »
Thanks mate hope you're feeling a bit better now after yours.

cannot shift this bunged up nose debs whatever I do. Would like to do a bit of food shopping has been home since December 15th but doing the right right thing and hoping it clears up to at least get to a tesco local for some basics. Worried about going into busy places. Just cannot bring myself to do it yet. 

Offline Wullie160975

• Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67492 on: December 28, 2021, 05:04:44 pm »
cannot shift this bunged up nose debs whatever I do. Would like to do a bit of food shopping has been home since December 15th but doing the right right thing and hoping it clears up to at least get to a tesco local for some basics. Worried about going into busy places. Just cannot bring myself to do it yet.

Scouse, if it helps you sound similar to me since I had my booster on 13th Dec, but my head is starting to clear up now.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67493 on: December 28, 2021, 05:19:17 pm »

Bless you, you've both had a bad time of things during the whole saga and these colds/flu type bugs doing the rounds recently haven't helped.

I started with a sore throat earlier this month which developed into a full on head cold but thankfully it cleared up fairly quickly. 

It still freaked me out though and prompted me to order some LFTs as I really wanted to get my booster today with Paul rather than waiting till 11th January.

I'm sure what you've got is a perfectly normal reaction to the booster though and you'll soon be feeling back to yourself soon and if it's any consolation, the shops aren't that busy so if you're fully jabbed, masked up, sterilised your hands and trolley and keep your distance from others, you should be fine 👍

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #67494 on: December 28, 2021, 05:32:40 pm »
Today's case numbers, although I'm not sure they mean a great deal, Wales includes a catch-up, Scotland and NI aren't included at all, and obviously other issues with testing capacity over the holidays.

Deaths obviously hugely underreported due to the bank holiday impact

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67495 on: December 28, 2021, 06:35:51 pm »
Ah, thought you said you were going for a drive with your friend?  There's nothing more fun than a trip to the drive through covid centre.   Especially if like ours they have the tightest right hand turn imaginable on the way out.  10 points for only hitting one side :)

Oh right. Well yes, she drives, but I wouldn't expect her to take me to a drive thru.  ;D

In any case, I saw her today and we both tested negative this morning. I will test again Friday, but reckon I'm ok.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline daindan

• lyin clock......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67496 on: December 28, 2021, 06:56:39 pm »
This news about Londons positivity rate is rather alarming. Hopefully it goes down soon.

What is also concerning is that PCR test positivity rate in England has gone up from 13% to 20% in a week to 22 Dec. That is a v steep increase.
Latest in London is 25%.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #67497 on: December 28, 2021, 07:01:06 pm »
This news about Londons positivity rate is rather alarming. Hopefully it goes down soon.

What is also concerning is that PCR test positivity rate in England has gone up from 13% to 20% in a week to 22 Dec. That is a v steep increase.
Latest in London is 25%.
Does anyone know how these rates relate to the social aspects like the individual's desire to get tested? With the delta variant being "tamed" before the omicron appeared, I think that fewer people were going to get tested. With the omicron it seems that there is another rush. So, I wonder how much of the new rapid increase in positive test rate is due to more people wanting to get tested.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline djahern

• aka Gail Yodeller
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67498 on: December 28, 2021, 07:47:47 pm »
Does anyone know how these rates relate to the social aspects like the individual's desire to get tested? With the delta variant being "tamed" before the omicron appeared, I think that fewer people were going to get tested. With the omicron it seems that there is another rush. So, I wonder how much of the new rapid increase in positive test rate is due to more people wanting to get tested.
The recent large daily jumps over the holidays are likely partly down to that. Those that have a real desire to get tested on 23rd-27th are most likely those with the most apparent and strong symptoms. Hence more chance their test is actually positive. Similar with Ireland who had a 50% positivity rate on Christmas Day - there were reduced numbers of tests but those that stayed up late to book one in the 20 minute window on Christmas Eve before they were booked out were likely those who had the strongest symptoms and more likely to test positive.

It’s not completely down to the above, but it will play a part in inflating the positivity rate over those few days.

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #67499 on: December 28, 2021, 09:24:07 pm »

About 90% of the people I know who have had their booster have had similar symptoms - some much worse, some a bit less - and it is most likely the weather giving you grief.

If you can get some Lateral Flow Tests so that you can put your mind at ease that is the best approach as you know then you are unlikely to make anyone else ill and as others have said, do everything you can to minimise risk through anti bac gel, washing your hands etc.

If you need food shopping, Amazon food delivery has been a huge help for me when I have had to isolate - I know Amazon aren't exactly high on anyone's list of "good" companies but in this situation I think it may be the better of the option.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67500 on: December 29, 2021, 09:17:16 am »
Highest number of COVID cases where I work since 25th February. Once the new normal flow of non COVID stuff that has been building over the years resumes, it'll be total chaos. Very worrying
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #67501 on: December 29, 2021, 10:29:15 am »
Does anyone know how to get their freedom back after testing negative on day 6 and day 7?
I'm updating the web site with my negative results but not getting any code to put into the app. So the app thinks I have to go the full 10 days before it will release my covid pass.
I'm happy to follow the rules, but if they say day 6 and day 7 negative tests let me out again, but the systems can't handle it, I'd have to think twice about logging a positive in future.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67502 on: December 29, 2021, 10:54:31 am »
Does anyone know how to get their freedom back after testing negative on day 6 and day 7?
I'm updating the web site with my negative results but not getting any code to put into the app. So the app thinks I have to go the full 10 days before it will release my covid pass.
I'm happy to follow the rules, but if they say day 6 and day 7 negative tests let me out again, but the systems can't handle it, I'd have to think twice about logging a positive in future.

As long as you are following the rules I wouldn’t worry one bit about going out. Obviously if you need to use your pass it’s an issue but hopefully that will update soon.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67503 on: December 29, 2021, 11:32:14 am »

Latest in London is 25%.

There’s also some pretty positive news from London, hospitalisation is rising a lot slower then cases, and those on ventilation is actually falling.

https://twitter.com/jamesward73/status/1475946939426476049?s=21
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67504 on: December 29, 2021, 11:37:57 am »
No PCR tests available in England or Northern Ireland. Can’t have a rise in positive tests if there’s no tests to begin with! Well done the Tories.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67505 on: December 29, 2021, 11:42:14 am »
There’s also some pretty positive news from London, hospitalisation is rising a lot slower then cases, and those on ventilation is actually falling.

https://twitter.com/jamesward73/status/1475946939426476049?s=21

I thought this was interesting on that as a complete back of the fag packet calculation, showing the impact of the collapse in Delta infection on hospitalisations

https://twitter.com/BristOliver/status/1475911611038773254

Offline King_doggerel

• "What the fuck is a baldrick?"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67506 on: December 29, 2021, 11:42:33 am »
is it only me or is it now not possible to book a Pcr test through NHS in England today?

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67507 on: December 29, 2021, 11:45:23 am »
A bit of a side note at this stage, but I thought this was an interesting read on how resistant the medical establishment was to the idea of aerosol spread for Covid early on, hence the whole focus on measures like hand washing which to be honest should not have been a top priority.

https://www.wired.com/story/the-teeny-tiny-scientific-screwup-that-helped-covid-kill/

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67508 on: December 29, 2021, 11:57:08 am »
No PCR tests available in England or Northern Ireland. Can’t have a rise in positive tests if there’s no tests to begin with! Well done the Tories.
What about Johnson's 'moonshot'?  The justification for the eye-watering Test & Trace costs was that we would have a gazillion tests available as the Trace part is effectively worthless.  In fairness to this government we have always been one of the highest testing nations in the world but at times it has felt a bit pointless as it's not really achieved much as there's not really any follow through (and our hospital admissions and deaths have consistently been amongst the highest per capita in the world).

Anyway, I look forward to the usual cranks proclaiming that the Omicron wave is over as positive case numbers are dropping...

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #67509 on: December 29, 2021, 11:57:30 am »

My guess is this is prob a worldwide issue and not something any Govt. would likely have been able to have avoided.

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #67510 on: December 29, 2021, 11:57:55 am »
A bit of a side note at this stage, but I thought this was an interesting read on how resistant the medical establishment was to the idea of aerosol spread for Covid early on, hence the whole focus on measures like hand washing which to be honest should not have been a top priority.

https://www.wired.com/story/the-teeny-tiny-scientific-screwup-that-helped-covid-kill/
Tempting, but I'm trying to clear my inbox from subscriptions :(

I must say I'm surprised at the current advertising around hand washing. It does seem like breathing it is far far bigger risk than hand to face contact.
(I could be completely wrong on that one)
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67511 on: December 29, 2021, 11:58:13 am »
I thought this was interesting on that as a complete back of the fag packet calculation, showing the impact of the collapse in Delta infection on hospitalisations

https://twitter.com/BristOliver/status/1475911611038773254

That poster limts who can see their Tweets

There will be a trade off I’d imagine, the higher % of a comparatively small number for Delta vs the lower % of a larger number for Omicron and that can probably be calculated as I am guessing that’s what the Tweet says? But boosters should be very effective against Delta, plus reports that an Omicron infection does provide protection against Delta could see it start disappearing soon.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67512 on: December 29, 2021, 12:09:10 pm »
Tempting, but I'm trying to clear my inbox from subscriptions :(

I must say I'm surprised at the current advertising around hand washing. It does seem like breathing it is far far bigger risk than hand to face contact.
(I could be completely wrong on that one)

I think you can just ignore the subscription request, I could when I clicked through anyway

That poster limts who can see their Tweets

There will be a trade off I’d imagine, the higher % of a comparatively small number for Delta vs the lower % of a larger number for Omicron and that can probably be calculated as I am guessing that’s what the Tweet says? But boosters should be very effective against Delta, plus reports that an Omicron infection does provide protection against Delta could see it start disappearing soon.

Sorry I didn't realise that, they basically just did a quick back of the fag packet estimate that 2% of Delta cases ended up hospitalised and 1% of Omicron, and found a reasonably decent fit.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67513 on: December 29, 2021, 12:09:38 pm »
So I just looked at the PCR website - there isn't a single PCR site available in England, nor are they sending out home tests

...........?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #67514 on: December 29, 2021, 12:15:27 pm »
the website has now updated and they available everywhere again…

Seems to update a few times a day.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67515 on: December 29, 2021, 01:09:56 pm »
...........?

It was a news item on BBC radio this morning, so it wasn't just imagined by Jake or anyone else.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67516 on: December 29, 2021, 01:45:37 pm »
So I just looked at the PCR website - there isn't a single PCR site available in England, nor are they sending out home tests

walk-ins should accept you btw in case there's anyone worried reading this thread but yeah, seems booking slots are back available now.
YNWA.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67517 on: December 29, 2021, 04:13:11 pm »
Hospitalisations going up as are Covid beds occupied, although probably need a split between hospitalised due to Covid, hospitalised for something else with Covid detected on admission and hospital acquired infection.

Not sure if the Christmas period may be influencing discharge numbers and therefore number of beds occupied as well.

Still not a great trend

« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 04:16:23 pm by filopastry »

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67518 on: December 29, 2021, 04:21:14 pm »
Hospitalisations going up as are Covid beds occupied, although probably need a split between hospitalised due to Covid, hospitalised for something else with Covid detected on admission and hospital acquired infection.

Would be interested to see the split. But ultimately needing to maintain separate Covid wards regardless of your illness is just extra strain on the NHS that I think some people don't seem to realise.
YNWA.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67519 on: December 29, 2021, 04:26:15 pm »
It was a news item on BBC radio this morning, so it wasn't just imagined by Jake or anyone else.

Did I say it was?  Amazing that is your interpretation of my post (considering there were no words in it).
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 04:55:13 pm by Red-Soldier »