Author Topic: FT - L'pool 3 v S'hpton 0 - OG Hoedt 10', Matip 21', Mo 45+3'  (Read 39265 times)

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: L'pool 3 v S'hpton 0 - OG Hoedt 10', Matip 21', Mo 45+3'
« Reply #400 on: September 22, 2018, 11:00:01 pm »
Above we have quote that is telling....  "not enough time to practice this system because of the weather in Liverpool"....   He saw the weakness before Soton did and sorted it.

You gotta love the gaffer.

Actually, Southampton were getting behind quite a few times in the 1st half. Van Dijk made two wonderful blocks to concede corners or they'd have been shots on target at the minimum from close range. Then Alexander-Arnold had to track his man and stick a foot out to stop a tap-in. Then came the cut-back to Hojberg, which he mis-kicked. So, there were situations that materialized for Southampton which they couldn't make the best of, and our defenders were covering for each other, so we came clean, but we were not entirely comfortable in the 1st half.

2nd half was a different story. Our final pass was lacking in attack, but our front three did some nice interchanges (the passes are coming back) and we didn't give them a sniff.

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
Re: FT - L'pool 3 v S'hpton 0 - OG Hoedt 10', Matip 21', Mo 45+3'
« Reply #401 on: September 22, 2018, 11:04:29 pm »
Gomez & Milner were superb when they came on.
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline Claude Cat

• Sworn Enemy of Pawed Dog!
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #402 on: September 22, 2018, 11:05:59 pm »
Only 50k attendance, eh? Could swear the additional members sale was sold out.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #403 on: September 22, 2018, 11:24:03 pm »
The result confirms what Poetry in Motion and Defacto were talking about on the Pregame thread for Soton.

They thought we needed to inject the team with three to four changes.  They proved right with Firmino, Shaq and Matip.   Although, there were calls for Fabinho, Keita, Shaq and Moreno if I remember accurately.

Further, I think supporters like these fine two gentleman got it right with our offensively flow (especially, Shaq and Firmino -- combining all over the center of the pitch --- and in wide areas too.).  All three goals created by these substitutions.

However, I will say that the above quote by Klopp and the resulting changes did reinforce the idea that we needed more continuity ---  in system and personnel.  This was my point earlier, that teams on streak have a certain way they do things and changes to this can disrupt.

Ironically, Liverpool were able to handle these challenges, get some minutes for Keita, Shaq, and Matip without too much concern.  Let's hope VVD's x-ray is negative.   It will be interesting to see what Klopp refers to with his statement about what he thinks he messed up.

7 straight boys!   I hope.....

:)

There's no doubt that we need continuity, but that's why training's there for, for Klopp to try different systems and combinations. Unfortunately, this time he said that they had to only do recovery sessions for the first couple of days and the day they started tactical training, there were weather issues. Hopefully, all this experience helps us in the future and we're able to tune ourselves better to use various combinations over the course of the season.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #404 on: September 22, 2018, 11:26:47 pm »
Didn't watch but saw that VVD came off injured, any news on that yet?

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #405 on: September 22, 2018, 11:27:55 pm »

Yep

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #406 on: September 22, 2018, 11:29:18 pm »
I can understand Klopp wanting to get control in midfield back but he should have took Mane off not Shaq. Mane barely had a kick in the first half. Mane has also played a shitload of minutes recently and Shaq could have just slotted onto the right of the front 3 keeping Mo down the middle.

Not to pick on the sub decisions, which were really good, but I agree with this line of reasoning. Anyway, I think Mane will get a rest this midweek and then we'll see where it takes us.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: September 22, 2018, 11:32:49 pm »

Just a bruised rib, he'll be fine for next weekend.

Offline sharkfin034

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #408 on: September 22, 2018, 11:40:35 pm »
Can anyone inform me if the Shaqiri sub was tactical? Do you think this means we will see him feature less in the more advanced 8 role? I hope not as I was hoping he could play this role for us. Would Klopp really abandon this after only 45 mins?

Watching the game today was a really good feeling, knowing we would coast home for another 3 points. I have never had this feeling as a Liverpool fan in my life so far. I am 30 and this is just amazing times. We can do this!

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: September 22, 2018, 11:42:26 pm »
Can anyone inform me if the Shaqiri sub was tactical? Do you think this means we will see him feature less in the more advanced 8 role? I hope not as I was hoping he could play this role for us. Would Klopp really abandon this after only 45 mins?

Watching the game today was a really good feeling, knowing we would coast home for another 3 points. I have never had this feeling as a Liverpool fan in my life so far. I am 30 and this is just amazing times. We can do this!

It was tactical, yes.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #410 on: September 22, 2018, 11:43:41 pm »
Thought Klopp got the half time substitution spot on. Although we were 3 up they had far more success in the first half. Second half they hardly had a kick.

Shame we didn’t add to the score but I think that’s more down to the fact we’re still not quite clicking or playing with the same fluency in the final third as last year. That said by the end of the game I thought Salah was looking more like his old self. Turning people running with the ball and looking like scoring.

Hopefully we can make it 8 league wins from 8 next Saturday, although I think last time we did that was 90/91 which didn’t end well. However I can’t see the same happening to this squad.

Roll on Wednesday, just can’t wait for the next game at the moment

EDIT: just realised it’s not our 8th league game next week but hopefully 8 from 8 will still be possible when Man City visit
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 12:16:34 am by duvva »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #411 on: September 22, 2018, 11:44:37 pm »
Just a bruised rib, he'll be fine for next weekend.

*klopp: "hopefully"

Offline sharkfin034

• Kemlynite
« Reply #412 on: September 22, 2018, 11:50:01 pm »
Thought Klopp got the half time substitution spot on. Although we were 3 up they had far more success in the first half. Second half they hardly had a kick.

Shame we didn’t add to the score but I think that’s more down to the fact we’re still not quite clicking or playing with the same fluency in the final third as last year. That said by the end of the game I thought Salah was looking more like his old self. Turning people running with the ball and looking like scoring.

Hopefully we can make it 8 league wins from 8 next Saturday, although I think last time we did that was 90/91 which didn’t end well. However I can’t see the same happening to this squad.

Roll on Wednesday, just can’t wait for the next game at the moment

Yeah I agree with that, they certainly had no threat at all in the 2nd half. Salah is getting there, I saw those signs too.....I hope! I am the same brother!! Roll on wednesday!

Offline sharkfin034

• Kemlynite
« Reply #413 on: September 22, 2018, 11:50:37 pm »
It was tactical, yes.

I saw that yeah

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: September 23, 2018, 12:12:07 am »
Southampton were beaten before a ball was kicked today weren’t they?

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: September 23, 2018, 12:13:41 am »

A lot of teams will be when they visit Anfield this season, I bet! ;D

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #416 on: September 23, 2018, 12:22:22 am »
It was tactical, yes.

I would argue that the tactical bit was starting Shaqiri in the first place.

It was a wildly imbalanced starting line up that encouraged Southampton to come out of their shell. Sit back and allow the likes of Shaqiri, Mane, Bobby and Mo to run riot or meet fire with fire. Hughes went with the meet fire with fire option and ended up fighting heat seeking missiles with pea shooters.

The best bit was Jurgen's 'we didn't have time to work on the defensive shape because of the weather line'

The truth is that parking the bus is now a gamble because we might overload the attacking positions, however we might play our normal game and look to dominate.

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #417 on: September 23, 2018, 12:34:58 am »

We publish attendance figures by people in the ground, unlike other clubs who do it by tickets sold.

Offline sharkfin034

• Kemlynite
« Reply #418 on: September 23, 2018, 12:51:45 am »

Yes that was my feeling too mate. I am unaccustomed to it. I was almost bored with a routine 3-o win......what a time to be alive!

how do you explain this joy to the wife??? any advice guys? she thinks im crazy to be so pumped about it so many hours later. fair play to anyone who married a fellow red. well played.

Offline sharkfin034

• Kemlynite
« Reply #419 on: September 23, 2018, 12:54:05 am »
This team really feels like its got something special coming. They came out and played like real contenders.

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #420 on: September 23, 2018, 01:07:45 am »
Completely agree that Salah looked much more like his old self that we saw rampaging through teams last year. The smile was back even when he missed chances. We looked like we are slowly getting back into that groove that we got into last year.

If I remember rightly it took a couple of months for us to get going last year too, but we have just had the success in the games this year instead of the infuriating draws.

Decent game in the first half and Shakiri was awesome. More defensive in the second but Soton were well n truly beaten.

Chelsea x2 next.

YNWA

Offline sharkfin034

• Kemlynite
« Reply #421 on: September 23, 2018, 01:12:57 am »
Completely agree that Salah looked much more like his old self that we saw rampaging through teams last year. The smile was back even when he missed chances. We looked like we are slowly getting back into that groove that we got into last year.

If I remember rightly it took a couple of months for us to get going last year too, but we have just had the success in the games this year instead of the infuriating draws.

Decent game in the first half and Shakiri was awesome. More defensive in the second but Soton were well n truly beaten.

Chelsea x2 next.

YNWA

Yes it does usually seem to take Klopp teams some time to hit top gear, but I believe they prefer to tailor their peak period toward the second half of the season. You nailed the difference though, comfortable wins instead of infuriating draws and bad luck etc etc etc Salah is starting to look happier toward the end of the game too. Did he look almost embarresed to have scored the tap in?

I too though Shaqiri was great offensively and hope he can develop into the midfield in a more complete way in the future. Exciting times!

Offline sharkfin034

• Kemlynite
« Reply #422 on: September 23, 2018, 01:14:33 am »
You could see a few more slick passing moves between the forwards linking up today. each game a little faster, a little better. Someone is in for an 8-0 smashing at some point when they click

Offline sharkfin034

• Kemlynite
« Reply #423 on: September 23, 2018, 01:34:37 am »
there's gotta be some US reds fans who are still awake, help me analyse our progress! I may not have a high post count but.....I may know a thing or 2

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: September 23, 2018, 01:41:25 am »
It’s going very well. Mind you, Man City still look very good indeed. Nothing will be decided but we’ll know a bit more after the next two league games against Chelsea and Man City. Win both of them and a little gap opens up and it could put a lot of wind in our sails. Early days though, and we have to go one game at a time. Next up, League Cup.

Offline sharkfin034

• Kemlynite
« Reply #425 on: September 23, 2018, 01:46:44 am »
It’s going very well. Mind you, Man City still look very good indeed. Nothing will be decided but we’ll know a bit more after the next two league games against Chelsea and Man City. Win both of them and a little gap opens up and it could put a lot of wind in our sails. Early days though, and we have to go one game at a time. Next up, League Cup.

Yeah man, I think we will do well in these games. We will continue to raise our level to beat whats in front of us. As you say a nice little gap could emerge afterwards and from there its just full steam ahead and try and hang on as long as possible. I hope seeing us go toe to toe with city in these games will put more pressure on them this year. City were 3-0 up at the break and mustve thought they were making a statement, only to find we were up 3 as well!

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #426 on: September 23, 2018, 02:01:59 am »

Chelsea and City are the two biggest league games since the one against Chelsea under Rodgers.

This is going to be some year, enjoy the ride.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Claude Cat

• Sworn Enemy of Pawed Dog!
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #427 on: September 23, 2018, 02:24:46 am »
Chelsea and City are the two biggest league games since the one against Chelsea under Rodgers.

This is going to be some year, enjoy the ride.

I reckon Middlesbrough at home 16/17 was bigger like. Imagine where we'd be now if Arsenal pipped us to CL football that day.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #428 on: September 23, 2018, 02:57:40 am »

A good defence can do that. A good offence makes the opponents nervous, a good defence makes them despair. :)
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Qcase1977

• Kopite
« Reply #429 on: September 23, 2018, 03:23:24 am »
Yep

Fantastically helpful answer that.

Offline Redshadow

• Legacy Fan
  • Wir schaffen es diesmal mit Herrn Klopp
« Reply #430 on: September 23, 2018, 03:24:04 am »
Yes that was my feeling too mate. I am unaccustomed to it. I was almost bored with a routine 3-o win......what a time to be alive!

how do you explain this joy to the wife??? any advice guys? she thinks im crazy to be so pumped about it so many hours later. fair play to anyone who married a fellow red. well played.
Have that difficulty also with my wife. Thank God my boy is 10 and really shows interest in Liverpool. So I have someone to share this excitement; although I had trouble consoling him after losing to Madrid and my wife scolded me for getting him into this.  :D
Whatever an education is, it should make you a unique individual, not a conformist; it should furnish you with an original spirit to tackle big challenges; it should allow you to find values to road map through life; it should make you spiritually rich, a person who loves whatever you are doing, wherever you are.

Offline biscuitme

• cakeyou
  • Main Stander
« Reply #431 on: September 23, 2018, 03:35:57 am »
there's gotta be some US reds fans who are still awake, help me analyse our progress! I may not have a high post count but.....I may know a thing or 2

There's a lot of false assumptions in this post. I would start by giving us your two cents-pence

Offline MinnyRed

• Kopite
« Reply #432 on: September 23, 2018, 04:38:46 am »

Yep. Always here for you. We’re boss and getting more boss.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #433 on: September 23, 2018, 05:22:53 am »

They were  beaten the day they hired Mark Hughes!
Better looking than Samie.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: September 23, 2018, 08:14:33 am »
Have that difficulty also with my wife. Thank God my boy is 10 and really shows interest in Liverpool. So I have someone to share this excitement; although I had trouble consoling him after losing to Madrid and my wife scolded me for getting him into this.  :D
Just remind her what he'd be going through had you been an Evertonian. --I have my daughter's permission to brainwash my granddaughter. They live between the old Boleyn Ground and the Olympic Stadium ... so shouldn't be too hard to ensure.

Offline sidneyroughdiamond

• Legacy Fan
  • There is a light that never goes out
« Reply #435 on: September 23, 2018, 10:17:24 am »
Apologies in advance but does anyone know where I can find George's set list pre game yesterday ? Many thanks.
Well, this piece is called "Lick My Love Pump".

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #436 on: September 23, 2018, 10:46:59 am »

There were definitely a few empty seats scattered around. I guess its the nature of the way we sell tickets, people want the credits and don't always go.

Offline ConqueredAllOfEurope

• Shit, just realised I can have a custom title...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #437 on: September 23, 2018, 10:49:30 am »
When you win 7/7 without really getting out of second gear  ;D

The team organisation is just fantastic to see.
"We have to change from doubter to believer... now"

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: September 23, 2018, 11:27:20 am »
@JamesMilner
Proud to be part of this team 💪🏻🔴 #seveninarow #YNWA

Keita should put out the next tweet at 8 in a row..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: September 23, 2018, 12:03:02 pm »
Keita should put out the next tweet at 8 in a row..

In which case I'm looking forward to Shaqiri's tweet. ;D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art